Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
This whole thing has just been hilarious to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
fuckin' called it

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
That chuck roast you posted has finally broken me down on getting an Anova.

I saw you did a shoulder as well with a 4 hour smoke, how does that compare with a full smoke? Have you tried both?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Anova wins hands down for the pork. You get perfectly cooked and juicy meat but still get the grill and smoke flavor. Also way easier than controlling temp on a smoker. Only con is it takes a good 48 hours for a large piece if you want full pulled pork fork shreddable style.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

This whole thing has just been hilarious to me.

I don’t mean to bring up another poster’s history but this fella does the same thing elsewhere in the forums. If it’s a gimmick, it’s very well-executed.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Well good show it's been really well done.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

Lawnie posted:

I don’t mean to bring up another poster’s history but this fella does the same thing elsewhere in the forums. If it’s a gimmick, it’s very well-executed.

It's a goldmine of great content. I just read the post about Crisco and... well.. wow.

Alright, that's the last I'll bring it up. Keep on posting, friend!

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

The Anova wins hands down for the pork. You get perfectly cooked and juicy meat but still get the grill and smoke flavor. Also way easier than controlling temp on a smoker. Only con is it takes a good 48 hours for a large piece if you want full pulled pork fork shreddable style.

What is your order of operations for your pork? I've always SV 1st then smoked with an bbq/smoked meat I've done SV. I'm curious about smoking 1st then SV then smoking again. Seems more complicated to do this way though.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

sterster posted:

What is your order of operations for your pork? I've always SV 1st then smoked with an bbq/smoked meat I've done SV. I'm curious about smoking 1st then SV then smoking again. Seems more complicated to do this way though.

Are people putting rub on stuff they sous? If so, before or after bringing up to temp?
I would think that putting it on prior would help get flavor into the meat and then maybe another rub prior to smoking so you could get bark.

If you smoked/barked first then I could see the bark becoming a gawdawful mess when you sous.

Of course now I am wondering what happens stall-wise.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

MOTHER

FUCKER

I DIDN’T KNOW

I DIDN’T KNOW :gonk:

It was going at a little under 430° for around 4 hours. Is my (dad’s) baby ruined now? :ohdear:

yes

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hasselblad posted:

Are people putting rub on stuff they sous? If so, before or after bringing up to temp?
I would think that putting it on prior would help get flavor into the meat and then maybe another rub prior to smoking so you could get bark.

If you smoked/barked first then I could see the bark becoming a gawdawful mess when you sous.

I think I know what you’re asking. I very lightly season before I put into the bag and when I pull it out I pat dry, very lightly season, and the sear.

Sear then sous is not recommended for your reasoning. It will be soggy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

sterster posted:

I prefer a quick sear in cast iron, dry rub and vacuum bag, sous vide, then a short smoke of 1-2 hours. I would never smoke before and after, too much work and no tangible benefit.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Hasselblad posted:

There are some people who smoke, sv, smoke. Simply because there is a thought that cooked meat doesn't take smoke all that well. Additionally, if you want a smoke ring you have to smoke 1st.

I do my cooks in this order: rub, sv, pull, pat dry, re-rub, smoke.

Bottom Liner posted:

I prefer a quick sear in cast iron, dry rub and vacuum bag, sous vide, then a short smoke of 1-2 hours. I would never smoke before and after, too much work and no tangible benefit.

Agreed it does seem like more work. I suppose you just are looking for the bark which you can do in an oven which wouldn't be too bad.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Hasselblad posted:

I did a brisket once, half on the smoker, then into sous vide, and half pure sous vide (with some liquid smoke added to the bag). They came out pretty much the same, flavor-wise and texture-wise. Bark for both was finished in the oven.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
If I recall correctly Gitmo made stock for gumbo by boiling whole shrimp and crawfish and vegetables for like 3 hours until they turned to mush, then burned the shut out of his roux

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Wow good to know I’m just a big fat laughingstock. That’s real great for my depression. Thanks guys.

I’m gonna run the grill a few more times and see if I can get the temperature down. I’ll do one this afternoon and see how it goes.

How many hours do I need to do this for before we can use the Egg to grill steaks and burgers and stuff at 600+°?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Just seal your gasket back up with a propane tank in the egg mate

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

There was still some black charcoal in the grill left over from last time. I put a few fresh charcoals on top of that, lit them, and put about half a chimney full of coals on top of that. Then I put in the ConvEGGtor and the grate (I did this immediately this time, last time I waited about 15 minutes for the other coals to light first) and closed the lid. I didn’t use parafin lighters like I did last time.

I’m gonna go outside in about 30 minutes and see how it’s going.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

half a chimney full of coals on top of that

You are most assuredly trolling at this point.

One neat trick grill manufacturers of the egg don't want you to know:
When holding the gasket down with one hand, aggressively slam the lid closed. It should save you a few bucks and a lot of time waiting.

edit: If you are saying the half-chimney of coals was unlit, disregard the above.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 2, 2018

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

Wow good to know I’m just a big fat laughingstock. That’s real great for my depression. Thanks guys.

I’m gonna run the grill a few more times and see if I can get the temperature down. I’ll do one this afternoon and see how it goes.

How many hours do I need to do this for before we can use the Egg to grill steaks and burgers and stuff at 600+°?

You posted on a the internet about your parents loving using Crisco. Don't come crying to us when you end up a laughing stock. Use common sense next time.

On a more helpful side, run the grill with some temps in the 400 range a couple of times. Follow the advice that others have given - start small with the temp and coals, and work your way up. Take the time to read what others post, as well. Multiple people commented on the risks of running high for your first run and you ignored that. Don't make that mistake again.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hasselblad posted:

edit: If you are saying the half-chimney of coals was unlit, disregard the above.

Yes it was unlit. I’m not THAT stupid.

The temperature was 291° the last time I checked it. 45 minutes later, it’s now 327°. It seems to be under control for the most part, although I’m a little annoyed that it’s so close to 350°, and that I still have to figure out how to get it 100° lower. But still, progress.

I closed the top vent a little bit to cut the airflow down some. It’s now about 1/4 of the way open. We’ll see what that does.

This grill is apparently a completely different beast from what I’m used to. I’ve only ever smoked on Weber kettles and Char-Griller barrel smokers until now. I’m having to relearn how to smoke.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Checked it again and it’s at 328°.

It’s not 225°, but it’s lower than last time and I’ve acheived stability. Small steps. :woop:

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Light fewer coals.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Please tell me you’re using Kingsford briquetttes and not lump charcoal.

How open is your bottom vent? I bet yours is too open.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I've never thought about SVing my pork before smoking, but I usually smoke 6 butts at a time. When that poo poo goes on sale I load up my WSM and vac-pack/freeze it all in one and two KG portions.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The temperature was 291° the last time I checked it. 45 minutes later, it’s now 327°. It seems to be under control for the most part, although I’m a little annoyed that it’s so close to 350°, and that I still have to figure out how to get it 100° lower. But still, progress.

VERTiG0 posted:

Light fewer coals.

It really isn't rocket science.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I know, right? coals + air = heat. Simple.

The door on my WSM is leaky as hell so my usual vent is like 100%/90%/90% closed. That works so I can't be arsed buying a new door or putting a gasket in.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Yes it was unlit. I’m not THAT stupid.

I closed the top vent a little bit to cut the airflow down some. It’s now about 1/4 of the way open. We’ll see what that does.

This grill is apparently a completely different beast from what I’m used to. I’ve only ever smoked on Weber kettles and Char-Griller barrel smokers until now. I’m having to relearn how to smoke.

You have your vents too open.

Canuckistan posted:

I know, right? coals + air = heat. Simple.

The door on my WSM is leaky as hell so my usual vent is like 100%/90%/90% closed. That works so I can't be arsed buying a new door or putting a gasket in.

I close mine down like that and let the stoker force the old air out. Nothing but the stoker allows air in the bottom and the top vent is only open a smidge.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 2, 2018

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Nobody called you fat.

Light less than a hand full of coals next time. Literarlly, imagine how much you can grab with one hand, and take one piece out. Then keep air intake virtually closed. You'll notice it doesn't heat up nearly as hot as you're currently seeing; it may even put itself out, which is fine. If it goes out, repeat the same process but open the vent a bit more and see what happens.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

sellouts posted:

Please tell me you’re using Kingsford briquetttes and not lump charcoal.

How open is your bottom vent? I bet yours is too open.

why would you ever imply the user of kingsford is good.

I'm trying to go through my stock after a labor day sale a few years ago and it hurts.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

atothesquiz posted:

Light less than a hand full of coals next time. Literarlly, imagine how much you can grab with one hand, and take one piece out. Then keep air intake virtually closed. You'll notice it doesn't heat up nearly as hot as you're currently seeing; it may even put itself out, which is fine. If it goes out, repeat the same process but open the vent a bit more and see what happens.

This is great advice. Learn your smoker. You've made mistakes and will be better for it. Go forth and sin no more.

The first time I used my WSM I did a high-heat (300'ish) chicken cook. The skin was rubbery so I took off the body and put the grill over the charcoal ring. Instead of nicely crisping the skin it insta-charred the gently caress outta the skin and I had to peel off the skin anyways. Live and learn!

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

atothesquiz posted:

Nobody called you fat.

I can't wait until he posts the pictures of his hand all burnt up because he grabbed a bunch of still hot coals to relight them.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Not totally smoking related but grill related - I discovered a sweet hack last night for cranking my Akorn up to surface of the sun temps for pizza baking. A while ago, I upgraded the gaskets on my Akorn to make it more airtight. This is really great for smoking as it lets you really dial in the air flow, but when you're trying to get the grill up to temp really quickly for making pizza it kind of sucks. Anyway, the trick is to just unlatch the two latches on the bottom that holds the ash tray in place. The ash tray is still attached to the grill by a piece that slides into a bracket, but by unlatching the tray it drops down a bit and you end up with a nice 1/2" channel along the bottom of the grill. That basically turns the whole thing into a gigantic chimney starter. I got it up to 800* in about 15 minutes this way.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MOTHER

FUCKER

I DIDN’T KNOW

I DIDN’T KNOW :gonk:

It was going at a little under 430° for around 4 hours. Is my (dad’s) baby ruined now? :ohdear:

No. And The factory gaskets suck anyway and you’ll probably end up replacing them with better ones within a year regardless.

And you’ve got your top vent open too much. Start with it like 5-10% open, not 25 to 33.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 2, 2018

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

atothesquiz posted:

Everything I said was accurate, especially the comment about Sperglord Firecock's 300Z.

I thought you were talking about this guy:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2873673

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Trastion posted:

I can't wait until he posts the pictures of his hand all burnt up because he grabbed a bunch of still hot coals to relight them.

Wait, you aren't supposed to light them while they are in your hand?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Hasselblad posted:

Wait, you aren't supposed to light them while they are in your hand?

You do if you're a Real Man.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

veiled boner fuel posted:

No. And The factory gaskets suck anyway and you’ll probably end up replacing them with better ones within a year regardless.

And you’ve got your top vent open too much. Start with it like 5-10% open, not 25 to 33.

To expand on this, if you're doing things manually it's fine to have it more open as it's coming up to temp but you want to practically close it all the way once you start getting close to your target temperature. Maintaining 225 means your top vent is literally open just a tiny sliver. Your 25-33% open is more like if you want 400+ to bake a chicken or something.

But since you're using a thing that has a fan in it that's capable of forcing air in whether it wants to be there or not, just start with the top vent very nearly closed and leave it there. Like you can't even fit a toothpick in there. Or maybe barely fit a toothpick in there. The fact that you've apparently got the thing set at 225 and it's stable at over 300 means your fan is completely off and it's maintaining over 300 degrees just through natural draw which obviously means your top vent is WAY WAY too open.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

why would you ever imply the user of kingsford is good.

I'm trying to go through my stock after a labor day sale a few years ago and it hurts.

Kingsford is a fine charcoal. Briquettes and lump both have their place. Right tool for the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Mikey Purp posted:

Not totally smoking related but grill related - I discovered a sweet hack last night for cranking my Akorn up to surface of the sun temps for pizza baking. A while ago, I upgraded the gaskets on my Akorn to make it more airtight. This is really great for smoking as it lets you really dial in the air flow, but when you're trying to get the grill up to temp really quickly for making pizza it kind of sucks. Anyway, the trick is to just unlatch the two latches on the bottom that holds the ash tray in place. The ash tray is still attached to the grill by a piece that slides into a bracket, but by unlatching the tray it drops down a bit and you end up with a nice 1/2" channel along the bottom of the grill. That basically turns the whole thing into a gigantic chimney starter. I got it up to 800* in about 15 minutes this way.

What did you do gasket wise on the Akorn?

I love mine and know air infiltration causes problems. It will cruise at 275 stock without issue...any lower than that it isn't happy.