Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

The Fool posted:

Software defined users, the next paradigm shift in devops.
quantitative trading has been running on this model for a decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

freeasinbeer posted:

Ready to start another poo poo storm:

I wouldn’t go back to school unless you plan to get a cs degree. An IT degree is not super well received anywhere I’ve worked. Mine as well get a history or poly sci instead.

I have a bachelor's and have considered looking at WGU for a Master's, but their courses titles and descriptions seem kind of blah:

MS Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
MS Data Analytics
MS Information Technology Management
MBA Information Technology Management

Their Bachelor's titles aren't much better. I don't know what you can expect from the actual course work, but they list a bunch of certs I've never heard of and don't know how valuable they actually are for a networking/voip career.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Sickening posted:

Interesting. I always assumed that was a type of field that required a more advanced degree.

Surprisingly not. Even the advanced stuff like molecular biology only requires undergrad. But that is mostly done by computer now. Microbiology is still very much human involvement

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Vulture Culture posted:

It's not too late. Long Island Iced Tea Corp. changed their name to Long Blockchain last year

You gotta also mention that their stock went from $2 to $14 per share right after, and now they're gonna get delisted from NASDAQ because it fell back below $3.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kashuno posted:

all IT jobs will be replaced with blockchain-based AI in a hyperconverged cloud environment offering 99.999% uptime in an effort to better satisfy customer needs and the desires of an ever shifting marketplace that requires impressions of all UI experiences

Can you please choke yourself because I have no means to do it through a monitor tia.

lol hyperconverged is the dumbest marketing terminology ever.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

Can you please choke yourself because I have no means to do it through a monitor tia.

with our new virtual reality response system, you can choke users in REAL TIME using our patented blockchain based physical response system. Hyperconverge your users in the modern workforce

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Hyperconvergence is nothing new in the technical space, that Rogue IT posting is several years old by now, right?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

freeasinbeer posted:

I’d also add that my experience is coloured by my most recent jobs being places that have a ton of actual engineers or software devs in management and they definitely look down on IS/IT degrees.

Edit: I work on the east coast as a “Devops/SRE” and am far enough along in my career that certs or my lack of degree doesn’t matter*.

*Except those that would like me to have a CS, EE, CE or Math degree.

I mostly agree, again.

I work with a lot of actual software developers who are obviously way smarter than me. I'd certainly be a lot better off if I had a formal education in CS. (computer science is not necessarily == software development, but it would probably still help)

A formal education in properly reading strace, how functional programming is supposed to work, all of the different object oriented concepts like inheritence, properly calculating big O, async, debugging, datastructures, distributed messaging, sorting, etc would be a clear benefit to me.

A computer science degree isn't valuable for having that piece of paper. It's valuable for making you more comfortable and capable with software development.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Got a job offer! Yay! They don't offer 401k because of some misguided bullshit saying they can be sued for losses in earnings. Boo. What's a reasonable counter to compensate for lack of retirement? Being capped at $5500 a year in an IRA is really a bummer.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vargatron posted:

Hyper converge my dick

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
First day of new job, everything is good so far except that they use Skype for Business, I might have to :yotj: next week.

Also, having a degree makes immigrating to most countries way easier.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hyper converge my dick
This made me laugh on a conference call

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hyper converge my dick

Speaking of microservices ...

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sprechensiesexy posted:

:drat:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Is there anything worse than interviewing a bad candidate? I just want to hug this guy. He's nervous as poo poo, and knows basically nothing of any note, and he knows he isn't getting this job, but we have to go through this entire exercise because his resume got him past the HR screen and fooled us into scheduling an interview.

Wasting time interviewing at a job then getting lowballed

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

jaegerx posted:

You wanted interview questions.

E: that and I have to do another interview tomorrow so it was fun bringing up questions I’m gonna ask.

what job is this for so i know what i'd be woefully unprepared for

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sprechensiesexy posted:

fight me irl

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
has anyone else ever had this much trouble ordering service from Verizon before?

I just want FiOS. 75/75 is fine. Medium business - Government.
I emailed VZ enterprise. They created a ticket.
No response for 3 days, even after requesting a response each day.
I called support with my ticket number. Support sent me back to "sales."
"Sales" gave me contact info for Debbie.
I called Debbie, and she informed me that there was a mistake and she is not my account rep and did not have my ticket.
Debbie gave me the number for Gerrard saying that he had my request.
I called Gerrard, who was delighted to help. I told him I need a static IP, 75/75 speeds, and a phone line. Then, Gerrard sent me 7 emails:

quote:

I am very pleased to have this opportunity to serve you and thank you for choosing Verizon.
I have received and initiated the processing of your request, and assigned it the following tracking number
:thumbsup:

quote:

I did a service address check and Fiber Internet service is not an option due to the address not being served by Fiber transport. The alternative option would be the POTS line with HSI/DSL Internet service.
:byodood:

quote:

Disregard my previous email, I just noticed there was a specific Suite to your address and that checked fine.
:unsmith:

quote:

Do you want the battery backup for your POTS line since the line will be served by Fiber which requires electricity? Also, what are you Internet requirements? Do you want the base/slowest transfer speeds and do you want to rent or purchase the modem/router?
:thunk:

quote:

Dynamic IP:
75M/75M - $99.99 (Month to Month) / $89.99 (2yr Term)
150M/150M - $129.99 (Month to Month) / $119.99 (2yr Term)
that's totally not what I asked for, but okay... Can you give me a quote for a static IP and a POTS line like I originally requested?

quote:

You can call the Verizon Sales Team @ 877-336-2078. They can give you pricing for everything and even tell you who might be your dedicated Account Manager.
But... I thought you were my account manager. :psyduck:

So I called the Sales number again (same number I originally called). They gave me the contact info for Carol who is apparently a sales manager and the number for the "sales" department, which is apparently not the same thing as the "Sales" department, to whom I am talking.

What in the actual gently caress is going on? Why can't I just get some goddamn internet and a loving phone line please? Two loving days, 40-something emails, and 12 wasted hours just trying to order service and I still don't have poo poo to show for it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

has anyone else ever had this much trouble ordering service from Verizon before?

I called Debbie, and she informed me that there was a mistake and she is not my account rep and did not have my ticket.
I called Gerrard, who was delighted to help. I told him I need a static IP, 75/75 speeds, and a phone line. Then, Gerrard sent me 7 emails:

that's totally not what I asked for, but okay... Can you give me a quote for a static IP and a POTS line like I originally requested?

So I called the Sales number again (same number I originally called). They gave me the contact info for Carol who is apparently a sales manager and the number for the "sales" department, which is apparently not the same thing as the "Sales" department, to whom I am talking.

What in the actual gently caress is going on? Why can't I just get some goddamn internet and a loving phone line please? Two loving days, 40-something emails, and 12 wasted hours just trying to order service and I still don't have poo poo to show for it.

I got a hearty guffaw out of this play by play.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dunno how things work over there, but is there not a Verizon reseller network where the reseller is a bigger fish to Verizon so they care more, and you are a bigger fish to the reseller than you would be to Verizon, so they give more of a gently caress? So you get to deal with somebody competent (?), and they deal exclusively with an assigned Verizon account manager who you'd hope knows what they are doing.

Also if you need to get legal on anybody it's not you going up against Verizon, but a much smaller organisation.

E: http://www.verizonenterprise.com/industry/public_sector/state_local/contracts/

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 1, 2018

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

fwiw AT&T is somehow worse at Verizon. I think universally all telecom companies are poo poo, with the apparent exception of Charter.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bigass Moth posted:

I have a bachelor's and have considered looking at WGU for a Master's, but their courses titles and descriptions seem kind of blah:

MS Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
MS Data Analytics
MS Information Technology Management
MBA Information Technology Management

Their Bachelor's titles aren't much better. I don't know what you can expect from the actual course work, but they list a bunch of certs I've never heard of and don't know how valuable they actually are for a networking/voip career.

I've been doing the WGU thing for about uhh... 7 months? Happy to answer any questions either here or via PM.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

AlternateAccount posted:

I've been doing the WGU thing for about uhh... 7 months? Happy to answer any questions either here or via PM.

I have my masters at WGU. Get at me.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sickening posted:

I'll probably have questions once I finish my Bachelor's. I feel like the college you get your Master's from is way more important than wherever you got your Bachelor's, confirm/deny?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Sickening posted:

How much did it cost, within a thousand dollars. Not broadly or "they say credits cost X...", I mean how much did it cost you?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

How much did it cost, within a thousand dollars. Not broadly or "they say credits cost X...", I mean how much did it cost you?

I think it and the undergrad combined was 9k when it was all said and done?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

WGU doesn't charge by the credit, they charge by the 6 month term. You do the minimum 12 credits in a term you pay more than if you work your rear end off and do 30 in a term.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Vulture Culture posted:

It's not too late. Long Island Iced Tea Corp. changed their name to Long Blockchain last year

What in the...
Holy gently caress, it's true.

Kashuno posted:

with our new virtual reality response system, you can choke users in REAL TIME using our patented blockchain based physical response system. Hyperconverge your users in the modern workforce

Will this technology finally implement the long-sought-after tele-tactile redirection, AKA "clue bat", to punish gently correct user behavior?

George H.W. oval office posted:

Got a job offer! Yay! They don't offer 401k because of some misguided bullshit saying they can be sued for losses in earnings. Boo. What's a reasonable counter to compensate for lack of retirement? Being capped at $5500 a year in an IRA is really a bummer.

3-5% of your annual salary that won't be matched, plus federal taxes on that 3-5% sounds fair to me. Maybe plus approximate annual interest that 6-10% would have earned.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

alg posted:

Wasting time interviewing at a job then getting lowballed
Yet another hot take: if a candidate refuses to name a number first, and this is the outcome, it's their own fault

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Vulture Culture posted:

Yet another hot take: if a candidate refuses to name a number first, and this is the outcome, it's their own fault

I consider this a very reasonable take.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Vulture Culture posted:

This seems reasonable to me.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm about to close on a new-build house, and Spectrum was telling me that my address was unserviceable. I protested, because all my neighbors have loving Spectrum. I have a goddamn terminated cable circuit tap in my front yard, 25 feet from my house. It took three service reps before one of them went "oh, all your neighbors have Spectrum. Is your house new? That explains it. We'll have the serviceability department send out a tech to do a survey. Should only take a week or so." Meanwhile I'm trying to cancel an order with AT&T. It took seven reps and almost an hour and a half to get it cancelled. I flat out started laughing whenever a rep would say they were taking personal ownership of the issue and would get it resolved to my satisfaction. "That's what the previous four reps said as well, then they transferred me to someone else who promised the same thing. Stop reading from a script and listen to the words that are coming from my mouth."

It amazes me that this poo poo can't be done better. If I can place an order online, then I should be able to cancel it online (unless, of course, it's already in process).

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
So I've read all of your advice, bit I'm still torn on which cert to go for first. A+ or Google. Im leaning toward the Google one first though because I'm a total noob.

Also recommendation for a place for a used desktop? I know someone said look at local universitys.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sickening posted:

I think it and the undergrad combined was 9k when it was all said and done?

Unless you transferred in a lot, that’s crazy fast.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

cods posted:

So I've read all of your advice, bit I'm still torn on which cert to go for first. A+ or Google. Im leaning toward the Google one first though because I'm a total noob.

Also recommendation for a place for a used desktop? I know someone said look at local universitys.

just cruise SA mart for nerds on the bleeding edge who upgraded and are selling their 'old' components.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

cods posted:

Don't get A+ it's total trash. If it's between the two do Google.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Unless you transferred in a lot, that’s crazy fast.

I already had most of the certs and some community college done. I got my undergrad in a year. I worked my rear end off for that year, but yeah.

Once you stop trying to be a perfectionist in taskstream and just loving turn poo poo in you blow right through the minor stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Don't get A+ it's total trash. If it's between the two do Google.

Even back in the day A+ was a good cert only for a desktop tech.