Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Don't be me and electric smoke your way into your units being unable to attack where you need to.

Laser/shover robot/helper robot I just can't get going as a team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I beat it last night on normal, 4 islands, with the Rift Group. I was going to go for the win after 3 islands, but as soon as I clicked on the 4th island just to check it out, it committed me, so I just maxed out my Influence and then steamrolled the final mission. I had the punch mech doing 4 damage per hit and also had the Haymaker Weapon which would do 2 damage to all surrounding bugs, move them to the left and do +1 self damage, and I had the tank with a ridiculous weapon that hit two squares and pushed those squares apart and did 3 damage to them, plus the artillery had cluster rounds that did zero damage in the middle and 2 damage + push to the surrounding squares.

Super powerful endgame squad. The Pilot I chose to come back is the one that lets you move through enemy units (super useful with the haymaker weapon), with his other skills being +1 movement and +1 reactor, I'm going to go for the achievement with him.

I bought the Hazard crew for my first new squad because I'm a masochist. Hopefully I can find the armor pilot because that will be a godsend for that crew. Overall the game is awesome and I super recommend it.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Initial thoughts on this game: amazing, even considering the high bar set by FTL. I love the complex situations which arise from the individually simple mechanics.

I told myself I would play for thirty minutes just now, and ended up playing for two hours. It's easily worth the 15 bucks.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Is there an easy mode you unlock later, or are you guys calling Normal easy to make me feel worse about myself

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Is there an easy mode you unlock later, or are you guys calling Normal easy to make me feel worse about myself

There's an easy mode unlocked right from the very very start but I'm playing on normal anyways

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Remember that in Ftl, easy is normal, normal is hard, hard is ball crushing.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Zaphod42 posted:

There's an easy mode unlocked right from the very very start but I'm playing on normal anyways

How did I never notice that

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
i have unlocked every mech team but still missing a couple of pilots, are they just completely randomized or are there specific ways to get some of them?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

GoldenPrice posted:

i have unlocked every mech team but still missing a couple of pilots, are they just completely randomized or are there specific ways to get some of them?

Randomized, I think. The only guaranteed way to spawn a pilot is to get a perfect on an island so they offer you three things.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

FTL has much more opaque mechanics (particularly events that can badly screw you if you don't give the correct response) so it is harder to start out. The fact that ITB explains every mechanic gets rid of some of that initial hump.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

thebardyspoon posted:

What are the gimmicks for the Hazardous mechs and the flame mechs? Those are the last two I need to unlock and I feel like I've gotten a lot of the easy achievements so once I unlock the next one it might be a bit until I can get the other.

Dunno about the hazardous guys but the flamethrowers are one of my favorite squads.

Prime: Flamethrower Mech: Pushes an enemy back and sets them (and the tile they were on) on fire. Does two direct damage if the enemy is on fire. Can be upgraded to have extra range twice, at which point the player controls if the fire hits one, two or three tiles. Only the last tile will be pushed though.

Ranged: Fire Artillery: Sets a tile on fire and pushes the four adjacent tiles. Can be upgraded to have a fire backblast or the much needed upgrade to also do two direct damage. Until you get the 3 point upgrade this is more of a pusher, on the plus side though cities don't care if they're on fire so feel free to drop your napalm bombs on buildings until you get the damage upgrade. Also carries a passive that makes your entire team immune to fire.

Science: Teleport Bot: Swaps place with a unit. Teleporter starts with 1 range, can be upgraded to have 4. Honestly probably your deadliest bot right out of the start for how easy it is to swap Vek into water tiles, Vek attacks or map hazards. I suggest mixing with the pilot who pushes adjacent tiles when he repairs.

The playstyle is a lot like the Rusty Buckets: push enemies around and damage them with the environmental effect you cause. Wheras the Rusty Buckets are about cancelling enemy attacks and have a bit more direct damage, the Fire Behemoths have very little direct damage. However what they lack in direct damage the Behemoths more than make up for in pushing and shoving. Also unlike the Rusty Buckets the fire damage sticks with the enemy, meaning it's one damage a turn, every turn, from that point on.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Alkydere posted:

Dunno about the hazardous guys but the flamethrowers are one of my favorite squads.

Haha, coincidentally I went ahead and unlocked them with the coins and yeah they're now one of my favourites. Managed to eke out my first normal win, with 3 islands no less. For the entire last 6 turns of the final battle, I had 1 grid left. Had to take a chance and let an enemy take out the renfield bomb and hope I could survive the resulting extra few turns rather than take the losing hit to my power and somehow managed it. loving hell that was intense.

Happily I managed to get enough achievements in the run to unlock the hazard mechs right after, so much for it taking me awhile.

They're weird, didn't give them a go just yet. The prime has a 2 square jump that does damage and pushback in the four directions and does 1 self damage, the brute has a cannon that does 2 damage and pushback but does 1 self damage and pushes it back one also and the science mech has an acid module and a passive that makes it so they all heal when they get the kill shot on a Vek.

The ice guys are a really good unlock out of the more expensive ones if anyone is curious, their prime has a shield bash that does 2 damage and makes the target swap directions for their upcoming attack, can upgrade that to make it so he gets a shield when he uses it also which is pretty sweet. The brute is a pretty finicky shoot in two opposite directions for one damage and pushback thing but their real power player is the ranged, has a cryo shot that freezes a target with the downside of freezing itself as well. I just started the run with the pilot who shields herself for free at the start of every battle so she didn't freeze herself ever.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I was thinking it would be so cool if they came out with a daily run. Everyone gets the same random mech loadout and the same maps. Get ranked based on end game score, etc.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

thebardyspoon posted:

Haha, coincidentally I went ahead and unlocked them with the coins and yeah they're now one of my favourites. Managed to eke out my first normal win, with 3 islands no less. For the entire last 6 turns of the final battle, I had 1 grid left. Had to take a chance and let an enemy take out the renfield bomb and hope I could survive the resulting extra few turns rather than take the losing hit to my power and somehow managed it. loving hell that was intense.

Happily I managed to get enough achievements in the run to unlock the hazard mechs right after, so much for it taking me awhile.

They're weird, didn't give them a go just yet. The prime has a 2 square jump that does damage and pushback in the four directions and does 1 self damage, the brute has a cannon that does 2 damage and pushback but does 1 self damage and pushes it back one also and the science mech has an acid module and a passive that makes it so they all heal when they get the kill shot on a Vek.

The ice guys are a really good unlock out of the more expensive ones if anyone is curious, their prime has a shield bash that does 2 damage and makes the target swap directions for their upcoming attack, can upgrade that to make it so he gets a shield when he uses it also which is pretty sweet. The brute is a pretty finicky shoot in two opposite directions for one damage and pushback thing but their real power player is the ranged, has a cryo shot that freezes a target with the downside of freezing itself as well. I just started the run with the pilot who shields herself for free at the start of every battle so she didn't freeze herself ever.

Freezing yourself is actually a blessing in disguise. Park yourself where you can guarantee a hit each turn, for example blocking an enemy shot, or on top of a spawn tile. There's a reason why the achievement for that is pacifism - it's really viable to play control and just block spawns all day long.

Harzardous mechs are quite good if you pair it with a strong time traveller, for example Harold with the push-on-repair is super handy. Armour to mitigate self-damage is nice also.

quote:

Ranged: Fire Artillery: Sets a tile on fire and pushes the four adjacent tiles. Can be upgraded to have a fire backblast or the much needed upgrade to also do two direct damage. Until you get the 3 point upgrade this is more of a pusher, on the plus side though cities don't care if they're on fire so feel free to drop your napalm bombs on buildings until you get the damage upgrade. Also carries a passive that makes your entire team immune to fire.

The damage upgrade is actually a trap, imo, specifically because you can't target buildings to push enemies away from them. Save the reactor and put it into getting a weapon on the swapper bot.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Agggh why did I waste coins on Zenith even with armor on the charger they're such trash :(

God that pull bot is sub garbage tier.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Helion posted:

Agggh why did I waste coins on Zenith even with armor on the charger they're such trash :(

My friend, Zenith owns hard. The pull bot definitely needs a secondary weapon to shine though.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Zenith are fantastic. I unlocked them after my first run failed and steamrolled my way through three islands. I then foolishly went for the fourth instead of the boss and it didn't end well. gently caress centipedes and burrowers. :argh: At least I managed to get all of their achievements before losing.

I unlocked the fire squad after that run and have been tinkering with them. I like them a lot, but haven't managed to get that far yet.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Helion posted:

I got the charge attack as a secondary for the grappler on a blitzkrieg run and thats loving hysterical.

My rock thrower had the kills heal you passive and the grappler already has armour, so he'd charge, do 3 damage and kill them and heal back the 1 damage he took.

Psikotik
Dec 17, 2002

Random more like ranDUMB
College Slice
How do you complete the "Get Over Here!" Achievement with the Zenith pull bot ? Is there a secondary weapon you need to have equipped that gives it + to dmg ?

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Psikotik posted:

How do you complete the "Get Over Here!" Achievement with the Zenith pull bot ? Is there a secondary weapon you need to have equipped that gives it + to dmg ?

Is that the kill with a pull one? Just get next to a 1 to enemy and fire away.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Psikotik posted:

I don't remember, but can't you just pull an enemy that's right next to you for 1 damage on it (+1 self damage) and get a killing blow that way?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
zenith is more focused on pure damage than disabling or forced enemy movement, though you'll want to swap out the science mech's primary weapon for pretty much anything else asap.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

My friend, Zenith owns hard. The pull bot definitely needs a secondary weapon to shine though.

Zap bot is ok, but it lacks a secondary effect on its weapon, making it one dimensional.

Charge bot practically needs armor to function, and once it has it is officially promoted to okay.

Pull bot can go right into the trash bin.

So two serviceable bots and one piece of crap. Bleh. Maybe I'm just bitter coming off of the Rust Buckets, who I found to be powerful, versatile and fun as hell.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Helion posted:

Zap bot is ok, but it lacks a secondary effect on its weapon, making it one dimensional.

Charge bot practically needs armor to function, and once it has it is officially promoted to okay.

Pull bot can go right into the trash bin.

So two serviceable bots and one piece of crap. Bleh. Maybe I'm just bitter coming off of the Rust Buckets, who I found to be powerful, versatile and fun as hell.

I found myself trapping myself in bad situations because of the rust bucket smoke yesterday. I still eked out a win but it was an unexpected tactical problem several times.

See my previous post

Ciaphas posted:

Hmm, I uh... can't see a good way out of this one. Thoughts?

Archimedes is powered to move after attacking, standard smokeboy mechs (no extra moves).

It looks like the literal best I can do is lose two power and both stars. Wowwwwwww did I ever just get skullfucked

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Ugh. Got so mad at the game last night. Was just about to have my first normal victory but there was one of the buffing bugs spawned that did 1 damage to all mechs every turn. I was on the final turn before victory, but that one damage killed my bomb. The new bomb set the counter to 3 turns and I couldn't hold out. Buffing bug was in a place where I couldn't reach them, so I was just screwed.

I might bump this game down to easy because I got too mad from that.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
I'd be lying if I said I'd never messed myself up with my own smoke, but in general I found it was more beneficial than not. Especially with +1 smoke damage, which is absolutely worth 3 precious cores.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Helion posted:

I'd be lying if I said I'd never messed myself up with my own smoke, but in general I found it was more beneficial than not. Especially with +1 smoke damage, which is absolutely worth 3 precious cores.

Oh yeah smoke that deals 2 damage is loving lol, that was the only reason I eked out that win

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Im pissed. Ive been playing the Frozen Island and if you break a block of ice floor, there’s a shining light ou can pickup. I’ve failed to notice twice until it was too late

Anyone know what it does?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
If you get a 4-island victory does that also give you credit for the 2- and 3-island medals, or are they all separate?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Separatw

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

If you get a 4-island victory does that also give you credit for the 2- and 3-island medals, or are they all separate?

Separate. Currently running through the game trying to do the 2-3-4 medals and achieves on every squad. Defending trains/satellites/etc when you have a fully upgrade electro whip bot is interesting.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Xaris posted:

Im pissed. Ive been playing the Frozen Island and if you break a block of ice floor, there’s a shining light ou can pickup. I’ve failed to notice twice until it was too late

Anyone know what it does?

it spawns a special time pod.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

thebardyspoon posted:

Oh the Unstable Canon is a Hazard weapon? Got one of those on the Grapple Tank once with its innate armor and had a field day.

Edit:
Decided to go full Advance Wars:

Why yes, that tank is flying.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 1, 2018

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it spawns a special time pod.

What do you get out of that one?

Someone mentioned if you destroy a mountain it does that and spawns a Zoltan. What island was that on? Is there a different hidden pod for each island?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Xaris posted:

Someone mentioned if you destroy a mountain it does that and spawns a Zoltan. What island was that on? Is there a different hidden pod for each island?

I got the Zoltan on the terraformer island. Dunno if the ice one is the same or different.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Xaris posted:

Just got the Rockman (+3 HP and immunity to fire) from a mountain on ACID Island. Not sure if it's set, but the "Special" pods summon FTL races.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Seems like you have to actually pick up special pods, I've seen one but didn't actually claim it and didn't get anything special after the round.

Been picking at a run today with eletric boys, just cleared 3rd island for both the "never below 4 grid" and the "complete all objectives" achievements, while also getting the 10 shock and block 4 squad goals. This is the rare run where I actually have almost all mechs decked out in cores and almost fully upgraded thanks to all the reputation i've dumped into shops for Cores and turning my perfect island pilots into more cores. The biggest threat to my Brute and Ranged mech is my Prime's whip.

Now time to decide if I go into the 4th island and further enhance this group, or just end the run.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fangz posted:

Freezing yourself is actually a blessing in disguise. Park yourself where you can guarantee a hit each turn

Settle down there Ender

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Settle down there Ender

It's literally how I played the Frozen Titans when I got them. Ran the artillery forward and used it as a mobile wall to block attacks or spawns. Some of those attacks miiight have been mine due to the split tank's weird attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

One win in the can. Smoke bros, 4 islands. 10 hours on the clock, but I do spend a lot of time staring at the screen each turn.

Game is great and I've already gotten my money's worth IMO but I'm not totally sure it'll have the same staying power as FTL? Maybe I just need to ratchet it up to hard. Only having 2 slots per vehicle feels really constricting -- I've seen a ton of passive upgrades come and go that would be neat to mess with but I just don't have the space to use any of them.

I'm not done with the game by any stretch of the imagination, but it doesn't feel like it has the capacity to surprise in weird ways like FTL did for a long time.

E: Oh and the last mission felt a little :effort: -- I was sort of expecting a bone-breaking finale like FTL but they might have overcorrected in the other direction? Are smoke bros just easy mode?