Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Space hulk was borderline unplayable with FF on, the librarian’s fire explosion power would just instakill any player from about 3 times past the edge of its visual range

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

And that's why you don't let fluff trump design

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Ignite Memories posted:

And that's why you don't let fluff trump design

would you say, perhaps, that design is law

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Deathwing apparently has been waiting on a "definitive edition" free upgrade type thing that comes with a massive truckload of fixes and stuff people have wanted forever, but who knows when that'll actually come.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Just have Fatshark make a 40k L4D game.

Also it’s kind of amusing that fantasy is getting way better games than 40k has gotten in recent memory.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
One day someone's gonna take Eugen's Wargame engine and make a Chapter-scale 40k game with it, sell dlc factions for three bucks a pop, and make all of the money in the world.

Just... gotta wait for GW to cycle through every bad idea in the world first. Like the Eisenhorn phone game.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Vermintide is the best game that has ever been made with the warhammer intellectual property - they should just steer 100% of everything toward vermintide and not try to emulate their awkward tabletop games like Warhammer

edit: in 30 years I want every warhammer 40k model box to have a bigass BY THE MAKERS OF VERMINTIDE!! logo splashed across it

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 1, 2018

Bodacious
Jul 29, 2010
As much as I enjoy hearing Saltzpyre snarling "RAT SCUM!", he sure does say it a lot when I'm fighting nothing but Chaos.

Earl Chestnuts
Feb 19, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

Kerillian much like 1, has been the problem character for me every time now as well, guy runs off and gets grabbed by this or that HALP, HALP, HALP like dude why the hell are you a mile away from all of us.

I had a Kerillian player get mad at the rest of the team because we would wait for people to grab the tome before moving on while they would sprint ahead.

"Quit wasting time you don't need 3 people to grab the tome" Jesus what is the rush dude

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Bodacious posted:

As much as I enjoy hearing Saltzpyre snarling "RAT SCUM!", he sure does say it a lot when I'm fighting nothing but Chaos.

chaos dudes trigger his ptsd flashbacks

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

vermintide is great because it focuses on actually fun and visceral gameplay instead of trying to 100% emulate a tabletop setting down to every individual rule

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Earl Chestnuts posted:

I had a Kerillian player get mad at the rest of the team because we would wait for people to grab the tome before moving on while they would sprint ahead.

"Quit wasting time you don't need 3 people to grab the tome" Jesus what is the rush dude

3 Easy Steps to playing Elf:

1. Run ahead alone
2. Die
3. Yell at team

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Johnny Joestar posted:

vermintide is great because it focuses on actually fun and visceral gameplay instead of trying to 100% emulate a tabletop setting down to every individual rule

but it’s not faithful to ~the source material~

Also executioner sword for Kruber is fun for clowning on big chaos dudes who think they’re hot poo poo.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Joestar posted:

Yeah this is why this game is fun and Mordheim is not

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Kerillian said something about the evil moon while we were running through a field in Against The Grain.

The moon doesn't appear to be in the sky in Vermintide 2. What gives?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I've heard about some stupid broken combo for almost every character except Saltz.

Victor seems pretty balanced to me but doesn't really have any crazy over-the-top stuff near as I can see? Getting free crits with a repeater and dunking on Roger seems to be his niche right now?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DeathSandwich posted:

Did they ever make that game non-lovely or did the developers give up on it?

The devs have been quiet for some time now. They managed to get the game into a decent shape but there are basically no people playing. I managed to get in a game or two every other day. It's fun but a bit janky. Everyone is waiting for the EE version to come out SOONTM

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
So, what's the score on Kruber's warhammer? I got a green one at level 4 that has +4 stam but it feels like it's way too slow and awkward to be of much use

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mendrian posted:

I've heard about some stupid broken combo for almost every character except Saltz.

Victor seems pretty balanced to me but doesn't really have any crazy over-the-top stuff near as I can see? Getting free crits with a repeater and dunking on Roger seems to be his niche right now?

I've played with a few Salties that managed to pretty much top every single chart. I'm not sure what they were doing but I just assume they were just screaming HOLY poo poo MAN the entire time... :D

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Mendrian posted:

Crits feed in to most of the bonkers gear synergies so "free crits" is really really good.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Rayjenkins posted:

Also it’s kind of amusing that fantasy is getting way better games than 40k has gotten in recent memory.

Because GW is stupid and keeps making lovely mobile games or letting no-name studios just pump out poo poo. Or whatever the gently caress was going through the minds of the folks that made DOW3. They've got such a good IP but only rarely do anything good with it.

Someone basically just needs to make a 40k conversion to XCOM2 and/or a Mass Effect styled RPG in either 40k or WH Fantasy so I can be happy. >:/

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Skypie posted:

So, what's the score on Kruber's warhammer? I got a green one at level 4 that has +4 stam but it feels like it's way too slow and awkward to be of much use

you have to fade in and out while timing charged attacks. lunge forward to knock everyone over like tenpins, then backpeddle to recover from the strike and charge another hit.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Rayjenkins posted:

It's funny to me that the two best games using the Warhammer IP are both based off of the one that GW sort of unceremoniously abandoned. There's people being introduced to the property through Vermintide and Total War that are going to find out that this version of fantasy is officially defunct and GW went all-in on the Sigmarines.

But hey, at least we've gotten good games out of the deal. :unsmith:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Willie Tomg posted:

Crits feed in to most of the bonkers gear synergies so "free crits" is really really good.

:nods sagely:

:mashes reroll on every piece of gear:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

cliffdiver posted:

1. Run ahead alone
2. Die
3. Yell at team

3 Easy Steps to playing Dwarf:

1. Wade the gently caress in to protect your friends
2. Die
3. Wait 10m for them to beat half of Grain Level, fight a rat ogre and revive you
4. Be all like "I scouted ahead, what took you so long"

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

I love walking around as Saltzpyre and just attacking over and over again to hear him yell and scream die at nothing.

"Eeyyyyeeargh!'
"DIE"
"DIE BASTARD"
"Rrratt SCUMMM"

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Skypie posted:

It's honestly one of his best weapons (along with the executioner sword), but it also has one of the stiffest learning curves of a weapon in the game. There's a cadence and rhythm involved with it that takes a while to get use to. You need to be using your dodges to set up space for your next charge attack (and line it up in a way that knocks around the largest group of people) in a way that you don't really need to do with other weapons, otherwise you'll get got by flankers and rats who were just out of range. Be mindful of when you do and don't have time for charged attacks and throw up a block if you can't make it happen. Sometimes it's better to use the uncharged downward swings to paste smaller groups of enemies while you duck and block around. If you are surrounded on all sides you dun hosed up in general, hit F to Knock everyone back / stealth / reposition with a charge and find your friends, dummy.

In hordes you should get into a pattern of Charged attack -> backdodge -> CA -> backdodge.

The real magic of the warhammer is when stormvermin, marauder champions, and chaos warriors show up because the warhammer will stunlock the former two to death and completely demolish the latter, especially when coupled with a strength potion.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

DeathSandwich posted:

It's honestly one of his best weapons (along with the executioner sword), but it also has one of the stiffest learning curves of a weapon in the game. There's a cadence and rhythm involved with it that takes a while to get use to. You need to be using your dodges to set up space for your next charge attack (and line it up in a way that knocks around the largest group of people) in a way that you don't really need to do with other weapons, otherwise you'll get got by flankers and rats who were just out of range. Be mindful of when you do and don't have time for charged attacks and throw up a block if you can't make it happen. Sometimes it's better to use the uncharged downward swings to paste smaller groups of enemies while you duck and block around. If you are surrounded on all sides you dun hosed up in general, hit F to Knock everyone back / stealth / reposition with a charge and find your friends, dummy.

In hordes you should get into a pattern of Charged attack -> backdodge -> CA -> backdodge.

The real magic of the warhammer is when stormvermin, marauder champions, and chaos warriors show up because the warhammer will stunlock the former two to death and completely demolish the latter, especially when coupled with a strength potion.

To add, this is exactly how the dwarf warhammer works, as well. Speaking of dwarf, does the iron breaker get any unique melee weapons? I do have the cannon for him, just haven’t unlocked that class yet. Also got some slayer axes which I can’t use.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

DeathSandwich posted:

Cool, thanks. I did notice that it absolutely fuckin wrecks the Stormvermin and marauders since I could just beat them to death. I'll start working on weaving in and out with it, and I've started just blocking/dodging if I feel like it's dicey. Helps that, like I said, it's got +4 stam on it so I have 5 shields with it when I'm blocking

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mendrian posted:

It was the off-handed pistol perma-critting for steady SV/special shutdown on command, but that got nerfed. Now its probably stacking guaranteed crits on every repeater barrage for individual heroics. I'm going to have to give his WHC another try and just go all-in on being team support.

Earl Chestnuts
Feb 19, 2013

Night Blade posted:

I love walking around as Saltzpyre and just attacking over and over again to hear him yell and scream die at nothing.

"Eeyyyyeeargh!'
"DIE"
"DIE BASTARD"
"Rrratt SCUMMM"

Same but for Kruber

"DIE WILL YA"

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Rayjenkins posted:

To add, this is exactly how the dwarf warhammer works, as well. Speaking of dwarf, does the iron breaker get any unique melee weapons? I do have the cannon for him, just haven’t unlocked that class yet. Also got some slayer axes which I can’t use.

Drakegun and drakefire pistols are locked to ironbreaker and the slayer axes are locked to slayer. There aren't any unique ironbreaker melee weapons though. Pretty much all of the classic WHFB dwarf melee weapons are accounted for now and the only ranged infantry weapon he doesn't have access to are throwing axes (which I would love to see). They could give him a new melee weapon in the form of some sort of "Runeforged _____" and give it a different attack set or another flavor of flame spewing gun.

The comedy option would be if they play up on some of those lines that the innkeeper and Olesia mention about your characters being in Skaven captivity between the first and second game. I would laugh if the characters started getting repurposed skaven weapons in the DLC and suddenly Baradin gets a ratling gun and Saltzpyre gets the gutter runner wrist blades.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

cliffdiver posted:

1. Run ahead alone
2. Die
3. Yell at team

Knife ear pieces of poo poo

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

high six posted:

Because GW is stupid and keeps making lovely mobile games or letting no-name studios just pump out poo poo. Or whatever the gently caress was going through the minds of the folks that made DOW3. They've got such a good IP but only rarely do anything good with it.

Someone basically just needs to make a 40k conversion to XCOM2 and/or a Mass Effect styled RPG in either 40k or WH Fantasy so I can be happy. >:/

This might be a interesting video for you to watch about the warhammer game licensing and how it seems to be working pretty well for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtY3Lto_lR4

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

DeathSandwich posted:

Drakegun and drakefire pistols are locked to ironbreaker and the slayer axes are locked to slayer. There aren't any unique ironbreaker melee weapons though. Pretty much all of the classic WHFB dwarf melee weapons are accounted for now and the only ranged infantry weapon he doesn't have access to are throwing axes (which I would love to see). They could give him a new melee weapon in the form of some sort of "Runeforged _____" and give it a different attack set or another flavor of flame spewing gun.

The comedy option would be if they play up on some of those lines that the innkeeper and Olesia mention about your characters being in Skaven captivity between the first and second game. I would laugh if the characters started getting repurposed skaven weapons in the DLC and suddenly Baradin gets a ratling gun and Saltzpyre gets the gutter runner wrist blades.

Holy poo poo put limited use ratling guns and warpthrowers on the maps or give those specials a rare chance to drop them.

Million dollar idea Fatshark pay me.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

It was the off-handed pistol perma-critting for steady SV/special shutdown on command, but that got nerfed. Now its probably stacking guaranteed crits on every repeater barrage for individual heroics. I'm going to have to give his WHC another try and just go all-in on being team support.

His +10% dodge range talent seems like a massive waste of space even compared to other level 5 talents. And I like to dodge. A lot. I guess it'll matter a small percentage of the time but when your character already scoots like a couple meters at most I'm not sure it matters?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

DeathSandwich posted:

Don't forget the Trollhammer torpedo, though with grenades still being a thing, they couldn't really get away with adding it or a grenade launcher for Kruber without making them useless. Maybe finangle with the canon a little and give him a man-portable steam gun, make it like a short duration flamethrower or something.

I know they originally wanted to add more characters as DLC for the first game, and I hope they actually do it this time around, as much work as that would be.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wow. The starting greatsword for Kruber only hits a single Marauder before it gets stuck on its light attack. Not that the Light Attack was ever what the zweihanders were for, but that's some impressive uselessness for it.

Heavy cleave all day every day.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
How intense is friendly fire in this new one? In VT1 it was like 2 points of damage out of a (Nightmare mode) health bar of 150 so it barely mattered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Night10194 posted:

Wow. The starting greatsword for Kruber only hits a single Marauder before it gets stuck on its light attack. Not that the Light Attack was ever what the zweihanders were for, but that's some impressive uselessness for it.

Heavy cleave all day every day.

Cleaving power is tied to multiple factors in this game. Unit mass (marauders are heavier and stop blades better than clanrats and way more than slaverats), the enemy's status (staggered/stunned enemies cleave easier than non-staggered), and the player's character power all tie into how well you can cleave through enemies. Get off your stupid newbie gear and you'll fare a spot better on cleaving power.

• Locked thread