Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Walrus Pete posted:

Oh wait, there's the one in Rotten Vale that's not eggs but it's the exact same type of thing. That one does suck, but the Ghillie Mantle still makes it tolerable.

That one is just as trivial as the Forest one assuming you have the Central Camp unlocked.

Neo_Crimson posted:

That's not the problem. It's the fact that you're barred from most of the other camps because you can't crawl, jump, or swing. So I had to take the long way aaaaaallllll the way to the first camp at the bottom left of the map.

Maybe there was a shorter path, but gently caress me I couldn't find it in that labyrinth of a map.

Yeah, you should have used the camp up at the top of the tree, it's only a minute to/from the nest. (I assume you aren't talking about the Wildspire one because that is also right next door. They're all actually super quick/easy now that I think about it.)

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

:bisonyes:

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

big nipples big life posted:

Even that one is like 30 steps away from the central camp

Was it? I remember being annoyed by it. Maybe I got impatient and didn't wait to recharge the mantle, then got harassed by a bug or something :shrug:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The egg delivery quests should be like the one quest everyone should do multiplayer because you have to deliver the same amount no matter how many players there are. Every single one of them can be done in less than 5 minutes this way.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Walrus Pete posted:

Was it? I remember being annoyed by it. Maybe I got impatient and didn't wait to recharge the mantle, then got harassed by a bug or something :shrug:

Central Camp empties out right into the hallway next to Odog's nest, which is where the meat is. You have to jump down two cliffs and walk through 2 rooms to get there, but that's it.

I did all of the delivery missions within a single use of the Ghillie Mantle.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Magus42 posted:

If it was the Wyvern Egg quest, you can take it to camp 17 and it's crazy fast. You can make a loop and a half before the mantle wears off.

I started at camp 17 but the way back is blocked by low branches you can't get through with the egg. There's apparently a roundabout way back up, but I coouldn't find it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They're more "hey, remember egg quests?" than actual egg quests. None of the egg quest bullshit (blocking paths, scripted spawning of aggressive monsters) and all of them can be finished in just a couple of minutes since there's always a camp right next to the "egg".

Neo_Crimson posted:

I started at camp 17 but the way back is blocked by low branches you can't get through with the egg. There's apparently a roundabout way back up, but I coouldn't find it.
You go down the ramp past Rathalos' nest and then there's a path from there up to the branches.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Do footprints left behind by a tempered monster count as tempered footprints? Or do they have to be those magical out-of-context footprints that show the threat level?
I put on a ghillie mantle and glued myself to Diablos' butt for 20 minutes and I didn't get a single tempered investigation.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Neo_Crimson posted:

You just run 2 laps, keep going around the tree clockwise and you will be back at the camp, run and pick up the second egg and if you have kulu gloves the mantle should last for both eggs.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I'm a bit disappointed the wiggler head isn't also disturbingly realistic like the pig and cat heads. Why did they change those to be like that in the first place, anyway?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I'm bummed that all the community sessions died out, for a while there were always 2 or 3 that had a ton of goons in them. I feel like I'm never going to get 50 guild cards now because randos in SoS missions absolutely never hand them out.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

we should do guild card trading sessions this weekend.

I send mine pretty much every SoS and I think I have like 10 back.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
If you're looking just to get to 50 then just search for a room with 13 or more people in it and send them your guild card.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I'm bummed that all the community sessions died out, for a while there were always 2 or 3 that had a ton of goons in them. I feel like I'm never going to get 50 guild cards now because randos in SoS missions absolutely never hand them out.

Just matchmake, go to send guild card, hit the button that checks every name and send it out. You will get 1-5 back almost guaranteed.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Magus42 posted:

Just hitting R1 or L3, as far as I know.

Yeah, I thought so - thanks for confirming. I'm probably hitting L3 reflexively even after I disabled R1 to run long ago.

Also, holy poo poo those drop %s from the new books. I weep for all those optional missions I did. Especially SoS missions, argh. Investigations SoS filter is now the only one that matters, which is stupid. Even a small message that farming without Gold Investigation rewards is the difference between an average 100 kills to get a gem/ruby vs 6-8 kills would've been good to have.

I killed that dual katana skeleton 80+ times in Pure Black Tendency in Demon's Souls to get a Pure Bladestone, but that was about the only 1 or 2% drop in the entire game. And that run was a minute or two, tops.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Roundabout Route posted:

SnS Bread-and-Butter Combo

Step 1: Start the combo by holding R2 and pressing Triangle. That's your first hit.

Step 2: Continue the triangle combo by pressing Triangle twice. This gets you two more hits.

Step 3: Switch to the Circle combo by pressing Circle twice. Two more hits.

Step 4: Choose how to end the combo.
  • Ending 1: Press Circle one more time for a big roundhouse swing. It's the most damaging move in the combo but has lots of ending lag that prevents you from easily chaining it into another move. If you want to do another combo, go to Step 1.
  • Ending 2: Tilt the left joystick in a different direction than what you've been facing and press Triangle twice. If you want to do another combo, go to Step 2.

You can end the combo early at any point by pressing Triangle and Circle together: this will do that big damaging roundhouse swing.

Aerial Attacks

Step 1: Hold back on the left stick and press Circle at any time during a combo to do a backhop that has lots of invincibility frames. You can use this to dodge monster attacks and roars.
Step 2: Hold down the Circle button when you land from your backhop to charge up your SnS for a big hit. You'll automatically leap forward after a few seconds or when you release Circle. If you hit the monster with your leap, you will automatically jump into the air.
Step 3: Choose which aerial attack to use.
  • Triangle will do a quick aerial attack for mounting damage. You maintain your aerial momentum with this move.
  • Circle stops you dead in midair and you perform a shield slam in a straight line down to the ground. This is the most powerful move in the SnS arsenal and does tons of KO damage if you nail the monster in the head with it.

Regardless of whether you press Triangle or Circle in midair, the moment you land you can hold back on the left joystick and press Circle to do another backhop.

Thanks a ton for this! Some of it I had figured out but I was missing out on stuff like the air attacks. I noticed I was mounting fairly often with triangle so stopped using circle entirely. Now I know why :v:

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
Anyone up for some Arena grinding? Should I join the discord?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

I'm trying to spend time with metal gear survive, Capcom.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

HellCopter posted:

Do footprints left behind by a tempered monster count as tempered footprints? Or do they have to be those magical out-of-context footprints that show the threat level?
I put on a ghillie mantle and glued myself to Diablos' butt for 20 minutes and I didn't get a single tempered investigation.

They do yeah

There's a couple of optional quests you unlock over time that gives you easy 2/3 tempered tracks

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

poptart_fairy posted:

but why

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

I enjoy it. :colbert:

At HR 53 I'm taking a small break so I don't burn out. Always thinking of new builds here though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I loved the shark and no swimming sign lance.

Oh man

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

poptart_fairy posted:

Why are you eating a big mac in this steakhouse

Get out

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Neo_Crimson posted:

Take advantage of the scoutfly tracking (click r3 on the map) to make navigating to/from the camp easy

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
FORTEEN Anjanath Pelt+ for the Aloy armor? Any tips for getting them as quickly as possible?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Kill a bunch of anjanath

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Renoistic posted:

FORTEEN Anjanath Pelt+ for the Aloy armor? Any tips for getting them as quickly as possible?

hunt anjanath, imo

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

don't you have to hunt him a bunch of times just to get all the special items you need to make the armor anyway?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Huxley posted:

Does anyone have a link back to that post talking about the LBG Normal Shot 2 build? I can't seem to dig it up.

I missed LBG chat previously, but I dropped Karma after spending way too long optimizing a LBG set. I've got a few other good sets now but it's still my main thing for tempered elders.

Night Blade posted:

*Don't be one of those jagoffs who force handicraft on their set for their low sharpness weapon.

I am one of those jagoffs. Partially because having a Sharp jewel in there gives me a nice long period of greatly boosted damage and partly because another jagoff in Discord did some testing with Bludgeoner and the conclusion was it wasn't great.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

don't you have to hunt him a bunch of times just to get all the special items you need to make the armor anyway?

I got almost everything I needed from one hunt except those pelts, actually.

By the way, is the Fortitude jewel as good as the game makes it sound? I have attack 528 so if I fall in battle I should get like 52/53 extra attack right? My attack jewel gives me +3 to attack so it seems completely useless.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Whew, hit HR 100. and i got a hero stone for lance. and a nergi gem. nergi lance now has health regen, with pairs super well with the hazak 3 piece lance build i'm using. woohoo!

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Are health regen augments any good? I can't find any hard info on them anywhere and they give absolutely no hint about how much health regen you get.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Renoistic posted:

By the way, is the Fortitude jewel as good as the game makes it sound? I have attack 528 so if I fall in battle I should get like 52/53 extra attack right? My attack jewel gives me +3 to attack so it seems completely useless.

Fortify gives you a huge bonus but the point of hunts is to NOT cart, so it's considered pretty useless unless you're hunting during Expeditions, in which case...why?

Attack Jewel is good, don't let the small number fool you.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Renoistic posted:

attack gems raise your true raw. Most end game weapon have about 200 true raw and then bloat the numbers to look cool. Capcom was worried players would complain if a dual dagger had the same attack as a great sword so they made the numbers bigger looking. To be fair Capcom tried just true raw in 3 and people did complain.

So +3 attack is about a 1.5% attack increase.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Chewbot posted:

Are health regen augments any good? I can't find any hard info on them anywhere and they give absolutely no hint about how much health regen you get.

From the videos I have seen they look amazing. Stuff like great sword charges giving mega potion amounts of heal. I'm hoping to do a regen peak performance build one day.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Renoistic posted:

Shwqa posted:

attack gems raise your true raw. Most end game weapon have about 200 true raw and then bloat the numbers to look cool. Capcom was worried players would complain if a dual dagger had the same attack as a great sword so they made the numbers bigger looking. To be fair Capcom tried just true raw in 3 and people did complain.

So +3 attack is about a 1.5% attack increase.

To add to this:

The damage value you see on your character's stat sheet for a great sword is multiplied by 4.8. For dual blades, it's multiplied by 1.4. So +3 attack for a great sword is actually going to show up as +14 attack (roughly); for dual blades, it'll show up as +4 attack. Just to give you an idea of what you're seeing on the stat sheet versus what the numbers are actually like under the hood.

Weapons that occupy the same place in the weapon tree generally actually have identical attack values. For example, every single starter melee weapon actually has 80 attack, even though it shows up as 384 if you're using a great sword or 112 if you're using dual blades.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Long Sword is my second most used weapon in World and I just found out about the really stylish sliding move :cripes: Never using the boring ol' jump ever again.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I feel like just having "increases attack power by 1.5%" would have been a better tooltip than "+3".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Vargatron posted:

I feel like just having "increases attack power by 1.5%" would have been a better tooltip than "+3".

The amount of gems that add +arbitrarynumber is really annoying.

As is finding out that the attack values on my weapons are just random? What the hell.