Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Subjunctive posted:

How does a Sorcadin work, exactly? 2 levels of Paladin to get Smite, but with CHA as highest ability don’t you give up a lot of melee damage and/or HP? With Hexblade I see how it works.

Also a little worried about being in melee with a Sorceror’s HP, I admit.

You use either Strength or Dexterity as your primary attribute; Charisma is secondary. Draconic gives +1 HP, which helps (also buffs GFB damage).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Subjunctive posted:

How does a Sorcadin work, exactly? 2 levels of Paladin to get Smite, but with CHA as highest ability don’t you give up a lot of melee damage and/or HP? With Hexblade I see how it works.

This pally post from Conspiratiorist is probably your best guide ITT.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Sorcadin also works just fine on 14 CHA to give yourself more CON if durability is a concern.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Conspiratiorist posted:

You use either Strength or Dexterity as your primary attribute; Charisma is secondary. Draconic gives +1 HP, which helps (also buffs GFB damage).

That makes sense, ok.

Kaysette posted:

This pally post from Conspiratiorist is probably your best guide ITT.

That’s a great post, thanks!

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Arthil posted:

I decided to throw together a Vistani Divination Wizard whose spellbook is the tarokka deck they carry around.

I'd been thinking about doing a Divine Soul sorcerer and this gave me the inspiration to make a Vistani Divine Soul of Savras, an exile gifted with The Sight. So thanks for the input! It's handy because we're about to head into Ravenloft.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Sorcadins are a bit MAD but since the class is built around fishing for hits so you can go off, landing more hits is better than an extra point or two on your already huge damage. If you really need a spell to land there's always heightened spell to lean on Heightened Spell. Draconic Sorcerer also effectively bumps you up a hit die.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I get fishing for hits, but it doesn’t seem like you get enough slots to make that your main source of damage. At CL 5, assuming 2 levels of Paladin, that’s fewer than 2 smites per battle (and no other spells). Assuming 3-round fights and PAM, you get 6-9 attacks per battle. It seems like a low STR is leaving a lot on the table.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Subjunctive posted:

I get fishing for hits, but it doesn’t seem like you get enough slots to make that your main source of damage. At CL 5, assuming 2 levels of Paladin, that’s fewer than 2 smites per battle (and no other spells). Assuming 3-round fights and PAM, you get 6-9 attacks per battle. It seems like a low STR is leaving a lot on the table.

Sorry if it wasn't clear, that post was pro maxing str/dex, that said at Character level five you're likely sitting at +3 to both your melee stat and cha. If you don't have PAM it doesn't matter what you attack with for filler.

Edit: actually five is an edge case where you cast instead of attack because it's the first cantrip boost level. Still, max your melee stat, not Cha.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 1, 2018

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

How am I just now finding out about the Plane Shift MtG supplements? So freaking cool. I wish they'd do these in print.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Open Marriage Night posted:

How am I just now finding out about the Plane Shift MtG supplements? So freaking cool. I wish they'd do these in print.
Yeah, I was looking at backgrounds and was intrigued to find inquisitor. When I realized it was from Innistrad I assumed it was homebrew, and was surprised to realize that it was official.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I'm considering adding a house rule to my 5e game for attack rolls:

If you do not hit the target's AC but miss by 4 or less, you still hit but they have resistance for the attack. If you miss by 5 or more you still do no damage.

The main goal of his house rule is that having your entire turn be an attack roll that misses sucks. Doing half damage at least allows you to feel like you accomplished something, but having it be bounded by within 4 of the target's AC should prevent characters with a high AC from being punished.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Reik posted:

If you do not hit the target's AC but miss by 4 or less, you still hit but they have resistance for the attack. If you miss by 5 or more you still do no damage.

The main goal of his house rule is that having your entire turn be an attack roll that misses sucks. Doing half damage at least allows you to feel like you accomplished something, but having it be bounded by within 4 of the target's AC should prevent characters with a high AC from being punished.
You might want to bump up everyone's AC by 2. If you have a +4 to hit against a 15 AC opponent, you have a 50% chance to hit. Getting another 20% chance to deal 50% damage is effectively a 10% damage bump. If you have a +4 to hit against a 17 AC opponent you have a 40% chance to hit and a 20% chance to deal 50% damage, which works out to overall dealing half of your damage per attack (40% of 1x, 20% of 0.5x), but smoothed out a bit.

That said, it makes having damage resistance worse, since (as far as I know, not super aware of 5e rules) multiple sources of resistance don't stack, so creatures with physical damage resistance would take half damage on both a direct hit and a glancing blow.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Elysiume posted:

You might want to bump up everyone's AC by 2. If you have a +4 to hit against a 15 AC opponent, you have a 50% chance to hit. Getting another 20% chance to deal 50% damage is effectively a 10% damage bump. If you have a +4 to hit against a 17 AC opponent you have a 40% chance to hit and a 20% chance to deal 50% damage, which works out to overall dealing half of your damage per attack (40% of 1x, 20% of 0.5x), but smoothed out a bit.

That said, it makes having damage resistance worse, since (as far as I know, not super aware of 5e rules) multiple sources of resistance don't stack, so creatures with physical damage resistance would take half damage on both a direct hit and a glancing blow.

Maybe resistance is not the best wording, essentially it would do 1/4 damage if you were within 4 and the target already had resistance. That's how it currently works if you say cast fireball on a creature with fire resistance and they make their saving throw.

I'm not against a 10% damage bump across the board for both PCs and Monsters, I feel like our fights tend to drag out a bit as is.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mango sentinel posted:

that said at Character level five you're likely sitting at +3 to both your melee stat and cha

How does that work? At 2+3 I won’t have had an ASI yet, right?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Depending on your race it's not uncommon to start with two 16s.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Or just roll for stats and get a really good roll. :shepface:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Subjunctive posted:

Stat buy with Human, Dragonborn, Halfing, Elf, Half Elf, Aasimar, and maybe some more I can't remember.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

mango sentinel posted:

Stat buy with Human, Dragonborn, Halfing, Elf, Half Elf, Aasimar, and maybe some more I can't remember.
If paladins can go dex, feral tiefling gets +1 dex, +2 cha. Just kidding they give +1 int, +2 dex.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 1, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ah, we do standard array. Hmm. Might still be possible, OK.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Subjunctive posted:

Ah, we do standard array. Hmm. Might still be possible, OK.
14 in cha, 15 in str/dex and half-elf gets you there. 14 in str, 15 in cha gets you there on dragonborn. 14 in dex, 15 in cha gets you there on drow, tabaxi, or lightfoot halfling.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 1, 2018

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
My last 5e GM just gave us ASIs at character levels 4/8/12/16/19 instead of enforcing them as a class feature and I feel like it makes sense that way.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Subjunctive posted:

2-6+ levels of paladin, either mainline Strength or go charisma with an attack cantrip. Keep in mind: polearm shenanigans are not an automatic for this type of character, as they actually face some pretty rigorous competition for your bonus action, and you really don't have the attacks per round to make good use of it. Main breaking points for sorcerer are 2, 6, an 11, with 2 being almost "sorcerer with smites" and 11 being more "paladin with more spell slots."

Dex builds are gonna be waaay too MAD with multiclass requirements on Strength. I do not recommend them.

The reason why you don't worry too much about your HP is because you have sky high defenses across the board, generally.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Just start Paladin if you're Dex based and you don't have to worry about any strength requirement.

Edit: multiclassing into Paladin doesn't give you heavy armor. That seems a pretty bad trade-off for proficiency in con saves.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 1, 2018

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Reik posted:

I plan on doing something similar where if you hit AC or miss by 2 or less then you do attack MOD damage only.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Caphi posted:

My last 5e GM just gave us ASIs at character levels 4/8/12/16/19 instead of enforcing them as a class feature and I feel like it makes sense that way.

So nobody in the group was a fighter then?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Rogue also suffers slightly because of the feat loss at 10.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
After playing a session with the Paladin I made and seeing how the group plays and how much the DM likes to pull out grids and fairly closed in areas in combat, have decided to roll up a new character so the majority of our group doesn't need to be in melee range all the time. I still want to be a divine caster class to have less overlap with the wizard, but don't really know much about Cleric/Druid in this, beyond that both have options that let them play as frontline characters.

What builds/subclass options work well for either class as far as being like, utility/control casters? Being able to function up front and take some hits if needed is a plus, but I don't really intend to be swinging a melee weapon on the majority of rounds or anything. (Including that shapeshifting doesn't interest me a ton so not really into Moon Druid.)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

mango sentinel posted:

Just start Paladin if you're Dex based and you don't have to worry about any strength requirement.

Edit: multiclassing into Paladin doesn't give you heavy armor. That seems a pretty bad trade-off for proficiency in con saves.

You need 13 strength to multiclass both into and out of paladin.

Like yes, you want to start at paladin, but there's no way around that 13 strength requirement. And 13 means you can't dump it, where you can dump dex otherwise.

There are dex based caster-smackers, but they aren't really going to involve paladin.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

ProfessorCirno posted:

You need 13 strength to multiclass both into and out of paladin.
Oh drat, then yeah.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Zerilan posted:

After playing a session with the Paladin I made and seeing how the group plays and how much the DM likes to pull out grids and fairly closed in areas in combat, have decided to roll up a new character so the majority of our group doesn't need to be in melee range all the time. I still want to be a divine caster class to have less overlap with the wizard, but don't really know much about Cleric/Druid in this, beyond that both have options that let them play as frontline characters.

What builds/subclass options work well for either class as far as being like, utility/control casters? Being able to function up front and take some hits if needed is a plus, but I don't really intend to be swinging a melee weapon on the majority of rounds or anything. (Including that shapeshifting doesn't interest me a ton so not really into Moon Druid.)

Druid has a bunch of good control spells early in its list, but neither are utility casters quite the way Bard or Wizard are.

Dreams and Shepherd Druids are okay. Dreams has a built-in Healing Word which is extremely good, and while I hold that Summoning is cancer, I won't deny it's strong and Shepherds are good at it. Both also get a bunch of distinguishing utility options that match their nature.

Forge, Life and Nature are good Cleric domains for what you seem to want (heavy armor all). Grave if you've got a Rogue/Paladin/Zealot Barb in the party. Just be aware that Cleric is more of an off-tank damage dealer than a controller.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I've found GITPs forums to be a great source of guides.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
What about grave makes it notable with those party members? There's a rogue and a bear totem barbarian in the group.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zerilan posted:

What about grave makes it notable with those party members? There's a rogue and a bear totem barbarian in the group.

Grave Domain's Channel Divinity is basically "the target takes double damage the next time it gets hit." Combining that with Sneak Attack or Smite is huge. No idea what Zealot barbarian has to do with it.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

mango sentinel posted:

Grave Domain's Channel Divinity is basically "the target takes double damage the next time it gets hit." Combining that with Sneak Attack or Smite is huge. No idea what Zealot barbarian has to do with it.

They're the next best thing accounting for Reckless Attack, Rage, GWM, and their mini-smite.

Well, no, the next best thing would be a Hexblade with Eldritch Smite, but you get the idea.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mango sentinel posted:

Edit: actually five is an edge case where you cast instead of attack because it's the first cantrip boost level. Still, max your melee stat, not Cha.

That's Sorc level 5 and not CL 5, right?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Cantrips scale by character level, not class level.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Conspiratiorist posted:

Cantrips scale by character level, not class level.

Interesting! I hadn't seen that. Is it in PHB or in tweets somewhere?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Subjunctive posted:

Interesting! I hadn't seen that. Is it in PHB or in tweets somewhere?

The book is ambiguous because ~natural language~ but it's the common sense reading and confirmed by the design team in tweets etc.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

So the group I joined just leveled to 4 the session I joined them. I went with Conspiratorist's quick primer on the ranged rogue, but I'm a little confused on why it, and basically every other document, recommends picking sharpshooter first over Elven accuracy. Particularly when all the math points towards Elven Accuracy providing more consistent damage per round?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I'd actually recommend EA first if you're an elf with DEX 17 out of chargen, so you can round that up to 18.