Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think the most damning indictment of the writing in this game is that it's apparently the end of the game and I still don't know what the bad guys even want here. Or why they would give half a poo poo about Noctis & pals. It's like the Empire is this arbitrary force that just exists to sometimes oppose the heroes, but even that seems to have no rhyme or reason to it. Why are they intervening at some times but not at others? Again, why was Chancellor Hobo even on the train? I mean, I know the real reason is because they needed a villain in the scene and he's the only one that's even halfway established, but what logical reason does he have for going through all this convoluted bullshit?

The whole thing just feels like they've planned some grand plot twist somewhere later that's supposed to explain it all and are now working backwards to try to justify it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The dissonance with the Empire was on full display in the early game too when they were apparently laying waste to the capital off screen while all the outlying areas were completely untouched. And not just completely untouched, but nobody seemed bothered by the fact that their nation had just been invaded. You still had people living it up in the nightlife beach resort place, an idyllic chocobo ranch, a thriving economic center in the big city with tons of merchants who didn't seem the least bit bothered by the war, etc. Maybe the second half of the game was supposed to take place in another open world map in Empire territory instead of being a sequence of hastily strung together linear story segments and we'd have gotten more of a sense of why the Empire was bad, but I'm skeptical.

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes
I find that if I have to read a ton of :words: just to understand the basics of the plot and what is happening onscreen in my visual mediums (let alone understanding the characters and their motivations), then the medium has failed to tell the story and it's not worth trying to understand it.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Side note: forgot to mention that I appreciate y'all for saying "hey 'titty dragoon' is actually not that great of a name, sorry." I know that Squeenix designed an outfit like that, but it's the thought that counts. :unsmith:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Huh, all this time I thought it was pronounced as-SWAJ

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
:frogsiren: FLASHBACKS GALORE :frogsiren:

Episode 54: Magic Time Dog vs. The Icy Plot Goddess

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Wedge: "Dining car's open if you need a break"
Noctis: "NUG ME UP YOU NAZI FUCKO"

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I can't make a long effortpost right now but literally everything between when Shiva freezes Ardyn (homeless man) and Ardyn talking about Prompto was added via patch like 3 months ago, absolutely none of it is relevant to anything and actively makes this sequence, somehow, even worse

like the previous version was just, Shiva shows up, ices Ardyn, hands over the trident and goes "yeah i got your back dude". but people on reddit were screaming for lore/backstory for the summons so we got this nonsensical bullshit

e: also kuvo you've been mentioning this sidequest you really want to do with the car, can you either spoiler it or pm me what it is? the quest might need to be unlocked

melodicwaffle fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 1, 2018

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pquYAEfbBFM

whenever noctis gets in a tense situation

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
It's too late for me. I actually want some nuggets now. This game brings out the worst in people.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
My god, the music department were really trying their hardest to make you give a gently caress about that scene.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Latino(-ish) dudes in FF..That guy w the shades from FFXII maaaaaaybeeeeeeee?

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes

Kuvo posted:

Soooo, who's up for 30 more episodes of sidequests?!

:catstare:

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

So this solo Noct sequence they just reached is the section of the game that got a few changes in a patch.

1. Added the ability to sprint during it whereas the original release made you slow jog through all the corridors as you searched for doors and switches.
2. Sped up the cast time of the ring's spells so you don't waste as much time every time a goblin pops out at you.
3. Added an alternative version of the chapter where you play through Gladio's path and it's much shorter. In case you want to skip the Noctis version entirely, or if you want some of the otherwise off-screen story stuff to actually be shown.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
You know, if you think even medium-hard about it you'd think that having not just a teleporty dog, but a literal time travel dog, would fix every possible problem ever.

Also this poo poo somehow makes less sense the more they try to explain it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Why IS chancellor hobo even more powerful than Goku?

Did he steal Shiva's magic clothes? Is that why she's so naked?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Holy poo poo it's actually a time travel dog that takes you back to the beginning of the game to finish sidequests.

gently caress this game.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

goatface posted:

Why IS chancellor hobo even more powerful than Goku?

Did he steal Shiva's magic clothes? Is that why she's so naked?

I was thinking maybe he wears weird clothes like Gentiana and we know you fight a fire guy who is probably Ifrit at the end, so maybe he is the human form of Ifrit? Maybe the King and the Oracle are both supposed to have a spirit guide but since Ifrit got pissed he's technically "guiding" Noct but in the trolliest way imaginable. The other thing is Gentiana's dog can control time and Ardyn can control time so :barf:

Also I regret saying this as I type it but the latest stupid Cindy quest has...a nice visual in it? It's not finding dog tags at least. I never got even this far in the game but I do remember that quest.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pootybutt posted:

Latino(-ish) dudes in FF..That guy w the shades from FFXII maaaaaaybeeeeeeee?

Cid. No, not that Cid, the other one. Rozaria definitely sounds like Notspain given his accent.

https://youtu.be/bipLfjwxoN8?t=1m13s

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

turtlecrunch posted:

I was thinking maybe he wears weird clothes like Gentiana and we know you fight a fire guy who is probably Ifrit at the end, so maybe he is the human form of Ifrit? Maybe the King and the Oracle are both supposed to have a spirit guide but since Ifrit got pissed he's technically "guiding" Noct but in the trolliest way imaginable. The other thing is Gentiana's dog can control time and Ardyn can control time so :barf:

That would kinda make sense, so I don't think that can be it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Why does the game suddenly turn into Jedi Outcast? loving switch puzzles, man.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Again to clarify:

The plot so far has been that the empire stole the vaguely important magic JO crystal from noctis' dead dad for reasons unknown. Noctis and friends have been gathering the weapons of his ancestors for some reason, I guess because Cork told you to. Noctis is also looking for the gods so he can gain their favor or something, but I don't know what he is supposed to do with it.

The empire has been killing the gods for some reason but really only managed to kill Shiva but not really. Nobody seems concerned by this so whatever. I assume that homeless guy is in charge of all of it because we have not seen any other imperial leader for a very long time.

The empire itself died offscreen and I have no idea why or how. Apparently they all died sometime between the water snake fight and now but I guess Homeless guy still controls some of their stuff, who knows? The imperial capital is now all dead and swarming with demons. The empire, which controlled two thirds of the planet at the beginning of the story, is now dead and Noctis did very little to cause it. It just died off on its own.

There's a lot more going on in the plot that the game hasn't said much about so far or has been happening offscreen. I can guarantee you that none of it will make sense in the future either, because this is Final Fantasy.

melodicwaffle posted:

I can't make a long effortpost right now but literally everything between when Shiva freezes Ardyn (homeless man) and Ardyn talking about Prompto was added via patch like 3 months ago, absolutely none of it is relevant to anything and actively makes this sequence, somehow, even worse

like the previous version was just, Shiva shows up, ices Ardyn, hands over the trident and goes "yeah i got your back dude". but people on reddit were screaming for lore/backstory for the summons so we got this nonsensical bullshit

e: also kuvo you've been mentioning this sidequest you really want to do with the car, can you either spoiler it or pm me what it is? the quest might need to be unlocked

Best part of this is that it does nothing to clarify the plot.

Gruckles posted:

So this solo Noct sequence they just reached is the section of the game that got a few changes in a patch.

1. Added the ability to sprint during it whereas the original release made you slow jog through all the corridors as you searched for doors and switches.
2. Sped up the cast time of the ring's spells so you don't waste as much time every time a goblin pops out at you.
3. Added an alternative version of the chapter where you play through Gladio's path and it's much shorter. In case you want to skip the Noctis version entirely, or if you want some of the otherwise off-screen story stuff to actually be shown.

Oh right, this too. When I did this section last year it didn't have any of that poo poo, which is pretty hosed up considering that those are things that SHOULD BE IN A COMPLETED GAME ON THE DAY OF RELEASE.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 2, 2018

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
FF15 aged worse than the milk I left out overnight in the darkest corner of the basement right below the asbestos insulated pipes.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Shiva: *Shares all sorts of memories of the past and visions of the future and grants the king a new powerful magical weapon*

Noctis: "Yeah thanks."

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The correct quote is "got it".

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
I cannot wait til they get to the bitch of an ending.

The car is best written character in the game.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

turtlecrunch posted:

The correct quote is "got it".

I'm legit pissed that didn't happen, honestly.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

coleman francis posted:

The car is best written character in the game.

i skimmed this video earlier today to figure out what to name it and laughed out loud when the car death flashback played because i had forgotten about it

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I love that Ignis got blinded, Prompto... tripped and fell into a well or something, but it took the car catching on fire to get a dramatic flashback sequence with tragic music :allears: I'm waiting for Kenny Crow's heroic sacrifice accompanied by a church choir

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Kenny Crow is the best character by far.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think the most impressive thing about this game is how quickly it's gone from 'Well this is dumb but kind of fun sort of' to 'Sonic 2006.'

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Danaru posted:

I'm waiting for Kenny Crow's heroic sacrifice accompanied by a church choir

You'll have to wait a drat long time. He's the final boss, not Chancellor Hobo or Ifrit who make sense.

Kenny's waitin for ya. Such a subtle, creepy statement to leave in the game, there has to be a reason for it.

e: Kind of want to make a video with the Saw theme music to this, but :effort:

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 2, 2018

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
At this point, I'm 100% certain Square Enix is just loving with us, making Noct run up and down the train even MORE times.

Hey there player, literally nothing is happening right now, why not run up and down the train for five minutes and collect useless crap until plot occurs?

Seriously, what is with this game and trains?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
When the writer originally envisioned this group of fuckbois running trains, this isn't what he had in mind.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The worst part about the time travel stuff is they couldn't even be bothered to give it an animation. I want Noctis and Umbra to do a goofy jump into a 90s style wormhole

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The other important question: So the Empire has been trying to kill Gods, for reasons, and steal crystals, for reasons. This is apparently related to night getting longer and more and more frequent demon attacks, up to killing the whole Empire off screen.

Is there a reason they thought this was going to work out? What endless prosperity did they think was out there if they did this thing? Why is anyone in this stupid story doing what they're doing?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Night10194 posted:

The other important question: So the Empire has been trying to kill Gods, for reasons, and steal crystals, for reasons. This is apparently related to night getting longer and more and more frequent demon attacks, up to killing the whole Empire off screen.

Is there a reason they thought this was going to work out? What endless prosperity did they think was out there if they did this thing? Why is anyone in this stupid story doing what they're doing?

There is an (almost) logical reason... I think, at least I can make it even if the game didn't try.

The crystal protected Insomnia from demons, but basically just them. FYGM is probably engraved on the Ring of Lucil or whatever. So the Empire, being as far away from Insomnia as can be at least on the map we have, is hosed. So they decided to make lemons into lemonade, and also demons into hell robots after they ran out of lemons but demons never run out in their horrible dark shithole (except when they finally did run out of them and had to send Tittydragoon into some random far flung dungeon rather than just wait for sunset.)

So with their army they go and take the crystal so that they could make their own magic demonproof wall with blackjack and hookers, but can't get the crystal to do its things, so they just have blackjack since the hookers have standards and don't want to go to demon town.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

But is this stuff from the supplemental material or is it just trying to make up a reasonable reason? I mean, it's easy to give them reasonable reasons ranging from spite to hubris to 'That loving hobo is their chancellor and he is obviously loving with poo poo, look at him, dude couldn't be trying any harder to be Kefka if he went to clown school' but is that stuff actually in the game?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't seen Kingsglaive or anything besides Brotherhood, so no idea if this is in that, the Ultimania, the wikia, or anything else. So what I said was half me trying to justify this, a quarter of stuff that was said but glossed over (dont' ask me where it was, probably in one of those dumb books or a radio in the middle of the woods 30 hours back or something), and a quarter of things they haven't seen yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That sounds like your standard Final Fantasy "reason to do a thing", it's not like the game is ever going to get around to explaining anything.

• Locked thread