Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
You can believe that all the things "white privilege" describes actually exist while also believing that the term chosen to signify those things is unfortunate.

I have some sympathy for that view, but it's pointless to debate now given the term's widespread use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

The Little Kielbasa posted:

You can believe that all the things "white privilege" describes actually exist while also believing that the term chosen to signify those things is unfortunate.

I have some sympathy for that view, but it's pointless to debate now given the term's widespread use.

At that point you’re making a dumb tone argument, which is a waste of everyone’s time.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
And it's not like changing the term from "White privilege" to "hocus pocus" will make anyone more likely to accept the underlying concept. It's not the choice of words for the definition that the people who get upset with "white privilege" object to.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
White privilege sucks because it is inherently reductive as a social theory. The same metrics that are used to show white privilege over blacks can be used to show Asian privilege over whites. Its simultaneously dumb and difficult to grasp. Instead, just call racism, racism.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 1, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Typical Pubbie posted:

White privilege sucks because it is inherently reductive as a social theory. The same metrics that are used to show white privilege over blacks can be used to show Asian privilege over whites. Its simultaneously dumb and difficult to grasp. Instead, just call racism, racism.

White privilege isn't the only kind of privilege

the value of "privilege" as a term is that it reframes the "racism' question as systemic and not a matter of personal, individual bigotry. It's not that white people are all inherently white devils who hate all other races; it's that white people are playing life on a different difficulty setting. There can also be class privilege or gender privilege. Any given person has certain kinds of privilege and lacks others.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Typical Pubbie posted:

Not really, because white supremacy (which is the root issue) has both economic and social components and while in some cases certain Asian groups come out ahead on the economic end, they are still marginalized socially.

It’s hilarious that every single time this issue comes up you’re triggered as gently caress tho.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

the value of "privilege" as a term is that it reframes the "racism' question as systemic and not a matter of personal, individual bigotry. It's not that white people are all inherently white devils who hate all other races; it's that white people are playing life on a different difficulty setting. There can also be class privilege or gender privilege. Any given person has certain kinds of privilege and lacks others.

Indeed. It's almost as if there are multiple lines of privilege in society that...intersect, or something.:thunk:

Lightning Knight posted:

Not really, because white supremacy (which is the root issue) has both economic and social components and while in some cases certain Asian groups come out ahead on the economic end, they are still marginalized socially.

It’s hilarious that every single time this issue comes up you’re triggered as gently caress tho.

Yeah, I love the casting of "Asians" as a monolithic group, too. Because it's not like there are significant subgroups of the Asian-American population who suffer economically and socially.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/GovHowardDean/status/969202571649810432
https://twitter.com/pplsummit/status/969304545141538817

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I'm relevant! I'm relevant! Please tell me I'm relevant! I scream as I shrink and transform into Howard Dean.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The perfidious Australians are apparently also a member of the evil forces united in their desire to destroy America.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

I know. That's what makes it hard to grasp for people who don't spend hours every day turning over different social theories in their mind.

I think it has the opposite effect of what you describe. "Privilege" centers the discussion on individual experience. From there its an easy mental exercise to find exceptions with which to dismiss the theory as non-applicable to one's own particular social condition. A white who has negative wealth. A white who didn't go to college. A white who got hosed by the judiciary. And because progressives tend to suck at adapting intersectionality into their rhetoric (to the point of attacking those who do *cough* Bernie) the next step to fully understanding systemic inequality is never taken.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Majorian posted:

Yeah, I love the casting of "Asians" as a monolithic group, too. Because it's not like there are significant subgroups of the Asian-American population who suffer economically and socially.

IIRC, if you control for education level, the asian "economic advantage" disappears completely and instead becomes a disadvantage compared to their white peers. Asian immigrants and their children also have higher poverty rates than their white counterparts in the US.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

An Australo-Russian conspiracy to steal the presidency was the plot of the unmade 4th Crocodile Dundee film.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Typical Pubbie posted:

I know. That's what makes it hard to grasp for people who don't spend hours every day turning over different social theories in their mind.

I think it has the opposite effect of what you describe. "Privilege" centers the discussion on individual experience. From there its an easy mental exercise to find exceptions with which to dismiss the theory as non-applicable to one's own particular social condition. A white who has negative wealth. A white who didn't go to college. A white who got hosed by the judiciary. And because progressives tend to suck at adapting intersectionality into their rhetoric (to the point of attacking those who do *cough* Bernie) the next step to fully understanding systemic inequality is never taken.

I don't think that "white privilege" is a phrase that most of the public is aware of, though. It's bled out of its original audience of academics, but it's not something that most voters have heard of, misinterpreted, and reacted against. It's still mostly a phrase that's only used in intellectual circles. A few alt-right shitheads may misuse it, but they'd find another term or phrase to misuse without it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Majorian posted:

I don't think that "white privilege" is a phrase that most of the public is aware of, though. It's bled out of its original audience of academics, but it's not something that most voters have heard of, misinterpreted, and reacted against. It's still mostly a phrase that's only used in intellectual circles. A few alt-right shitheads may misuse it, but they'd find another term or phrase to misuse without it.

It's on the front page of Imgur on a near-daily basis, usually wildly mis-stated and out of context

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Typical Pubbie posted:

This is why I just say "race is a difficulty setting, duders" when this conversation comes up because all the people who would get upset by "white privilege" as a term understand video game difficulty settings intuitively

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Falstaff posted:

IIRC, if you control for education level, the asian "economic advantage" disappears completely and instead becomes a disadvantage compared to their white peers. Asian immigrants and their children also have higher poverty rates than their white counterparts in the US.

Yup, and then when you break it down into ethnic groups, the picture becomes, uh, a little more complicated.

It's on the front page of Imgur on a near-daily basis, usually wildly mis-stated and out of context

The front page of imgur isn't really reflective of the public consciousness, though.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
You would think that the relative size of the fine would signal just how trivial Sanders’ violation really was.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Shut the gently caress up Dean

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Chomskyan posted:

Shut the gently caress up Dean

Was this guy actually cool in 2004? Because lol.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

In comparison with John Kerry and Dick Gephardt.

So no.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Lightning Knight posted:

You could argue that Dean’s focus on grassroots organizing changed campaigns and was a model for the kind of engagement that we saw with Obama and later Sanders. That doesn’t really have anything to do with policy, of course, but his style of campaigning was impactful.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/969320736161660928

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/969074850433323008

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nobody from West Virginia? Noooobody? :ironicat:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Grouchio posted:

It's almost as if the majority of US labor jobs have been replaced with service jobs.

Two days old but eat poo poo grouchio, service jobs are labor jobs, and they should all be unionized

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Two days old but eat poo poo grouchio, service jobs are labor jobs, and they should all be unionized
I meant to say Manufacturing jobs.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Grouchio posted:

Nobody from West Virginia? Noooobody? :ironicat:
Well, nobody he knows personally, duh :rolleyes:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Grouchio posted:

I meant to say Manufacturing jobs.

What does that have to do with anything, still unionize the service jobs because they're also labor and are still extreme risk of being exploited

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

This is why I just say "race is a difficulty setting, duders" when this conversation comes up because all the people who would get upset by "white privilege" as a term understand video game difficulty settings intuitively

Of course the subtext here is that anyone playing on very easy that is still losing the game (ie being poor) deserves to lose.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I think I said this about a year ago but privilege theory is politically useless, and I think the internet as a whole intuitively realized this when they switched from "educate yourself" to "punch nazis"

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/MotherJones/status/969339577931583489

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

But she's such a good whip :shepface:

fake edit: lol

quote:

Notably, Pelosi is showing Lipinski a degree of loyalty that the congressman has never extended to her—Lipinski has routinely voted against Pelosi for minority leader. After helping elect Pelosi speaker of the house in 2009, he voted against her in 2011, 2013, 2015, and 2017. Notably, he was also a major impediment to Pelosi’s top legislative accomplishment—the Affordable Care Act—and was one of only a few blue-district Democrats to vote against the measure.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The problem with this analogy is that it doesn't really make sense in the context of other forms of privilege (it's strange to have a bunch of separate general difficulty sliders). It also carries with it an implication of merit to success in life (i.e. if someone is playing on "easy" and has a bad life, clearly it's because they just suck).

I think it's best to discuss this in terms of "all other things equal." Rather than convoluted video game analogies, just point out that if you took two people whose lives were otherwise identical except for the fact that one was white and the other was black, the black person would be worse off. It implicitly acknowledges that other forms of privilege can offset racial privilege.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Of course the subtext here is that anyone playing on very easy that is still losing the game (ie being poor) deserves to lose.

Yeah, this is part of what bothers me about the analogy. It emphasizes the "ease" of being white, when the important part is the difficulty of being black.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 2, 2018

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/NewsroomJake/status/969347006778003456

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Good. They didn’t get what they wanted, so they went back to it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Yes, it's really bad and also reductive. Don't tell people they're "playing life" on "easy mode" unless you want to piss them off.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Lightning Knight posted:

Alright, so of the 7 people also running for the seat Levi Sanders wants, it seems like most of them don't yet have functional campaign websites or platforms. I'm gonna assume that's par for the course for races like this, which is pretty low profile.

Unfortunately, that pretty much means I can't tell if any of them are really good. I can tell you that like 3 of them are probably poo poo, for various reasons, and the ones I'd bet on possibly being not poo poo are Mark Mackenzie (union backing), Chris Pappas (young, strong support for Planned Parenthood and other things like that in his current office), and Maura Sullivan (served in the Obama Administration, actually has a campaign website even though it's not very good yet).

^ yep.

Both Pelosi and Bernie's sons are grown rear end men and they can answer for their own stupid poo poo, imo.

Effort post incoming:

Mark S. Mackenzie - A state rep, former NH AFL-CIO president, and was on the NH Steering Committee for Bernie Sanders. Supportive of creating a public option as partof the ACA, wishes to repeal the "Cadillac tax" in the ACA, making childcare and college more affordable, a shift toward renewable energy, and addressing the opioid crisis.
Deaglan McEachern - A Portsmouth businessman who spearheaded the campaign to bring Amazon's HQ2 to NH. He is running on more vocal education, single payer healthcare, higher teacher pay. There's a lot of stuff on his website.
Mindi Messmer - A state rep, a member of the National Writer's Union, and the environmental scientist who uncovered the Seacoast Pediatric Cancer Cluster. She is running on Medicare for All, to strengthen labor, a $15 minimum wage, and money out of politics.
Terence O'Rourke - City Attorney for Rochester. He is running on ending the Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, a New Deal rebuilding for American infrastructure, public transportation in NH, opioid crisis, and taxing the rich.
Chris Pappas - One of the five NH Executive Councilors. His website provides a bio, but no platform.
Levi Sanders - Bernie Sanders' son. He is running on Medicare for All, tuition-free college, higher minimum wage, equal pay for men and women, gun legislation, and addressing the opioid crisis.
Lincoln Soldati - Former Strafford County Attorney and Somersworth Mayor. He is running on combating global warming, strict gun control, affordable healthcare for all, end to private prisons, protecting the DREAMers. He was present at the North Dakota Pipeline protest.
Maura Sullivan - A former Marine Captain and Obama Administration member. A bio, but no platform on website. Just a blurb about how she's running due to national and economic security being at risk.

My initial feelings is that Mindi Messmer would be the best choice. I have seen her in person and she's a smart, informed person who's views most closely align with my own.

The person I do not want to win is Maura Sullivan. Who moved into the state less a year ago and is receiving a huge pile of out-of-state money. Representatives need to chosen by the people on the ground and not from the top down by the DCCC and superpacs.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

OhFunny posted:

Maura Sullivan - A former Marine Captain and Obama Administration member. A bio, but no platform on website. Just a blurb about how she's running due to national and economic security being at risk.

The person I do not want to win is Maura Sullivan. Who moved into the state less a year ago and is receiving a huge pile of out-of-state money. Representatives need to chosen by the people on the ground and not from the top down by the DCCC and superpacs.

They are gonna have a campaign ad about russia, I can feel it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Lightning Knight posted:

Good. They didn’t get what they wanted, so they went back to it.

Yep. It's great to see workers actually flex their muscles and prove that they aren't powerless.

• Locked thread