Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Oh cool, I didn't realize they added new civics. I'll definitely be trying out a barbarian despoiler run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Ugh, I opted into the 2.0.2 beta and the loving Enigmatic Fortress is STILL resurrecting every ten days while the Situation Log refuses to let me actually begin the special projects. Is it just absolutely hosed for pre-beta saves or am I missing something here?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Baronjutter posted:

Intended is for wormholes to be open to anyone while gates are restricted under normal movement rules but people you're at war with can't use them. Wormholes were explicitly supposed to be usable in war.

Ah, cool.

Though, I'm not certain if I want gates to be restricted like that? I quite like the idea that building a gate network is something of double-edged sword. And it's not like it would be totally unworkable- anywhere the enemy could instantly teleport to is somewhere you could instantly teleport to to fight them off.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Fixed in the beta patch, according to the notes.

It's actually not fixed, at least it's not for me. So be careful trying it next time you load your save if you're on ironman.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Bah, I can't be spiritualist robot angels. Is there a mod that lets me?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Nice to see that the sector AI is slightly less retarded since last time i had a good look at it. Reacting appropriately to unrest and building sane poo poo.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Autonomous Monster posted:

Ah, cool.

Though, I'm not certain if I want gates to be restricted like that? I quite like the idea that building a gate network is something of double-edged sword. And it's not like it would be totally unworkable- anywhere the enemy could instantly teleport to is somewhere you could instantly teleport to to fight them off.

If they control the system they control the gate, and can then use their own gates to move to the newly captured gate. Or at least that's how it was explained in their intended mechanics.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Some mutants burst out of a vault on a Tomb World and took my planet. They're killing the pops but if I try and land it tells me "this planet isn't colonised".
oh no :(

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Taear posted:

Some mutants burst out of a vault on a Tomb World and took my planet. They're killing the pops but if I try and land it tells me "this planet isn't colonised".
oh no :(

Fixed in the beta patch apparently!

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Dongattack posted:

Nice to see that the sector AI is slightly less retarded since last time i had a good look at it. Reacting appropriately to unrest and building sane poo poo.

I think they just plop down a few fortresses on each world now rather than reacting to unrest.

I'm not certain it's better. I went ascended synthetic and my governor still builds farms.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

If they control the system they control the gate, and can then use their own gates to move to the newly captured gate. Or at least that's how it was explained in their intended mechanics.
Well, that's not exactly how it works in my experience. I captured an active gate system during a war and was hoping to cut my supply lines down a whole lot (lose 5 corvettes to every massive battles, but who cares with the fleet designer being so rad), but nope. As far as I could tell there was no way to use the gate in an occupied system and what's more I think my enemy kept sending fleets into that system from their other gate. I never saw it for sure, but the system was attacked by a random lone cruiser a suspicious amount of times.

Basically gateways are totally safe during a war and potentially a good way to retake occupied territory, rather than being any sort of liability in any circumstance.

Wormholes are just freakishly long hyperlanes, and that's really cool and good. Though it didn't register I was a neighbor through one the one time that happened for me.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The game needs to stop the AI declaring unwinnable wars.
My federation is in one and it's -1000 to do what they want to do which is "end threat". Why let the poor things do it?

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Taear posted:

The game needs to stop the AI declaring unwinnable wars.
My federation is in one and it's -1000 to do what they want to do which is "end threat". Why let the poor things do it?

End Threat isn't a real War Goal, which is why they're -1000 to use it. It's an exterminator type war, which means they're gaining - losing systems as the war progresses instead of transferring the held claims at the end.

Eventually the war will end because the winning side hits 100% war exhaustion and they sign a peace, but the borders stay where the front lines ended up.

Of course, if you mean they started an unwinnable war because they're getting destroyed, that's federations for you.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Blorange posted:

End Threat isn't a real War Goal, which is why they're -1000 to use it. It's an exterminator type war, which means they're gaining - losing systems as the war progresses instead of transferring the held claims at the end.

Eventually the war will end because the winning side hits 100% war exhaustion and they sign a peace, but the borders stay where the front lines ended up.

Of course, if you mean they started an unwinnable war because they're getting destroyed, that's federations for you.

Oh no they're not. They're not really doing anything. But the other side has been at -100% war exhaustion for ages and nothing is happening.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
How has the ship combat meta changed with 2.0? Are missiles still worthless?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Magil Zeal posted:

I think they just plop down a few fortresses on each world now rather than reacting to unrest.

Ah yeah, that's what i meant by reacting to it, it's probably still idiotic when given a harder challenge. I really like to play murderous machine empires, so unrest to me is "pacify until melted down".

Magil Zeal posted:

I'm not certain it's better. I went ascended synthetic and my governor still builds farms.

:lol:

So, unrelated to the above, how does the evasion stat work and how good is it? My corvettes are at 92% evasion now, but they still get hit a fair bit so i guess there's more to it.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Taear posted:

Oh no they're not. They're not really doing anything. But the other side has been at -100% war exhaustion for ages and nothing is happening.

That's intentional. 100% exhaustion forces you (until the beta patch) to accept a peace treaty. It doesn't require the other side to send one. They're probably up against a wall of star bases and don't think they can push further.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Ugh, I opted into the 2.0.2 beta and the loving Enigmatic Fortress is STILL resurrecting every ten days while the Situation Log refuses to let me actually begin the special projects. Is it just absolutely hosed for pre-beta saves or am I missing something here?

I had the same thing. I just chose the various options as they popped up, the only choice you need the situation log for is the initial step (blow up the airlock or power surge); it will repower every 10 days but you will get the next stage (if you choose the options right) every 30-60, so just park a fleet on top of it, with a science ship orbiting, and the reborn fortress gets instagibbed every time. Your situation log will also fill with the first step, just ignore it.

Also, it will stop repowering once you finish the chain and claim the system.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Dongattack posted:

Ah yeah, that's what i meant by reacting to it, it's probably still idiotic when given a harder challenge. I really like to play murderous machine empires, so unrest to me is "pacify until melted down".

Ah, I more meant they throw down fortresses on worlds regardless as to whether or not there's unrest there. My empire's pretty much completely unrest-free but the governor still likes to build 1-3 fortresses per world depending on how big they are.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Blorange posted:

That's intentional. 100% exhaustion forces you (until the beta patch) to accept a peace treaty. It doesn't require the other side to send one. They're probably up against a wall of star bases and don't think they can push further.

Look I know how it works, I know what 100% does! But the enemy is at 100% and has been for years and it's only going to end when both sides hit 100%.
So it's going to stay like this until I decide to join in, which feels totally pointless because I can't really work out what the point of this war is. There are no stations. They're just not moving.
See: here and the enemy fleets have scores of less than 1000, my allies are at 10,000!

I really don't enjoy the new war system, I think the old one was much more reasonable. I'm entirely down with geography of space and point taking and etc but I prefer a set score like it was before and like every other paradox game instead of exhaustion. If they show 100% they should just surrender thanks.

Taear fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 1, 2018

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

canepazzo posted:

I had the same thing. I just chose the various options as they popped up, the only choice you need the situation log for is the initial step (blow up the airlock or power surge); it will repower every 10 days but you will get the next stage (if you choose the options right) every 30-60, so just park a fleet on top of it, with a science ship orbiting, and the reborn fortress gets instagibbed every time. Your situation log will also fill with the first step, just ignore it.

Wait, I need a science ship? The popup made it sound like the survey team had already been dispatched!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Gort posted:

Bah, I can't be spiritualist robot angels. Is there a mod that lets me?

I believe some of the perks added in Expanded Ascension Perks add the ability to follow more than one Ascension path at once.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Javes posted:

All weapon types are pretty good, missiles are especially good against anyone using shields

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Yeah mine is still hosed too.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

canepazzo posted:

This doesn't sound like its the same problem exactly. There are no options popping up (apart from the very first one which is 'yes start the event chain' / 'no do nothing end of story'), and my situation log just has the one entry for the fortress without any projects to go with it.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I think the only bad weapons this patch are fighters and PD/Flak. I have a fleet of torpedo corvettes and double afterburner cruisers that really works well for occupation, zipping around flipping outposts and catching reinforcements/damaged fleets, while the 2 other "standard" fleets take care of the battles and planets.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Javes posted:

It seems they hit that balance they wanted with ships and weapons, everything is a little bit viable in it's own way. On top of the fact you can be a little more riskier with underpowered fleets now with the disengagement mechanic.

Corvettes are the current meta due to their high evasiveness which makes them hard to hit, but they can be counter if you set-up for them. However, corvettes have low hull strength, which means if they take any big hits they tend to die, unlike bigger ships which have much higher hull strength to give them a chance to escape. It's a nice risk vs. reward situation.

E: ^^^^^ I don't know what you about you, but I find the bombers to be pretty awesome at what they do.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 2, 2018

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Magil Zeal posted:

Ah, I more meant they throw down fortresses on worlds regardless as to whether or not there's unrest there. My empire's pretty much completely unrest-free but the governor still likes to build 1-3 fortresses per world depending on how big they are.

Maybe it's trying to do something with unity? Fortresses give 3 unity in my game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Turns out that if you run out of food your population will start to starve to death and while starving they get really unhappy which utterly tanks all production, especially food, so you can't dig yourself out. Oops. :downs:

You'd think it would make better farm tech more likely to come up in the science lottery, but nope.

Poil fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 2, 2018

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
It makes sense, though logically at some point starvation should begin to kill pops so at least eventually you'll get out of it if you can't turn the situation around. Especially since it happens to the AI sometimes and they get stuck.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Remember that you can trade food with other civs. Unless you're completely out of energy or minerals you should be able to get out of the hole with that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gobblecoque posted:

Remember that you can trade food with other civs. Unless you're completely out of energy or minerals you should be able to get out of the hole with that.

Lol if you have friends.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It's really satisfying to be able to pull off a surprise attack in your war for independence

Definitely camped my dudes out where I realized my awakened overlord's main fleet was going and brutally smashed it on the first strike, getting 50 war weariness on them from the overwhelming victory

Heck yes

(This war against the Contingency is gonna go a lot better now that I have all my minerals and energy)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

e: shameful double post

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Lol if you have friends.

eat the primitives

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Westminster System posted:

It makes sense, though logically at some point starvation should begin to kill pops so at least eventually you'll get out of it if you can't turn the situation around. Especially since it happens to the AI sometimes and they get stuck.

This happens to every vassal I spinoff :ughh:

So I have to remember to send them food

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gobblecoque posted:

Only if they actually have any food to trade, the drat gluttons.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Do I remember seeing someone post that you can edit the starlane slider somewhere in the files to something other than 100 or 75? I would like to give that a try but I cant find it, probably in part because I am not exactly sure what I am looking for.

edit: Good grief yeah I would love to be able to try like 90 rather than 75 because 75 seems just way too low but 100 is just a hair too high. cripes

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 2, 2018

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Is there a mod out there that fixes the weird cursor behavior in the Biography section during species creation? It's maddening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Well the update allowed me to fill out every single tradition tree and run 4 simultaneous unity ambitions in my current game, to make clear just how badly the bug was loving anyone who liked to expand :v: