Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Since we already know who the strongest hero is, I'd like to find out who out of all the cool motherfuckers in this thread gets the series' main joke THE MOST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

sharktamer posted:

Since we already know who the strongest hero is, I'd like to find out who out of all the cool motherfuckers in this thread gets the series' main joke THE MOST.

As of today these are Genus and K I N G

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
You know...

I don't follow any sort of strength training.

Should he really be feeling that much pain with that sort of training? I get it during the first 60 days... but it really seems like he is in more pain than he should be.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Donkringel posted:

You know...

I don't follow any sort of strength training.

Should he really be feeling that much pain with that sort of training? I get it during the first 60 days... but it really seems like he is in more pain than he should be.

It was a toothache from a cavity, which is why when the tooth was knocked out the pain stopped (and it had that big hole in it), as well as why there was that little "moral" at the end. It had nothing to do with his training, he just took lovely care of his teeth. Which you shouldn't do on a tangent because your teeth going bad sucks.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

sharktamer posted:

I'm too dumb to understand it, all I know is that the one guy can beat things one attack while the rest cannot.

The last page has been in-loving-decipherable because of this

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

I'm too dumb to understand it, all I know is that the one guy can beat things one attack while the rest cannot.

then you understand it perfectly, friend

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ah remeber when Gokutetsu's head just landed in the arena, sickkkkkk

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

Okay, here's how I understand it.

Genus proposes that everyone has a cap. Some people can go to up level 10 and stay a C-class and that's their maximum. Some people get to level 7000 and end up S-Class heroes.

Saitama, a person with no special qualities to him whatsoever, somehow managed to go beyond the cap that everyone has- as postulated by he Dr. Genus, the man who conquered his own mortality- and became stronger than the pinnacle of evolution that he'd created to stand at the top of humanity's potential. In a single punch. If a nobody with no special qualities like that can achieve strength of that level, then he's been mistaken from his own impression of humanity's limits from the very beginning. And he's now demoralized over that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The way Genus said it. Saitama broke the laws of realty and gained godly strength.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

RareAcumen posted:

Genus proposes that everyone has a cap. Some people can go to up level 10 and stay a C-class and that's their maximum. Some people get to level 7000 and end up S-Class heroes.

Saitama, a person with no special qualities to him whatsoever, somehow managed to go beyond the cap that everyone has- as postulated by he Dr. Genus, the man who conquered his own mortality- and became stronger than the pinnacle of evolution that he'd created to stand at the top of humanity's potential. In a single punch. If a nobody with no special qualities like that can achieve strength of that level, then he's been mistaken from his own impression of humanity's limits from the very beginning. And he's now demoralized over that.
Well this isn't funny at all

sharktamer posted:

who out of all the cool motherfuckers in this thread gets the series' main joke THE MOST.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Expect My Mom posted:

It's not supposed to be funny, just like the meteorite, the Sea King and Boros were not funny. It's the usual "serious" setup of the comic; in this case the purpose is to build up Garou, because if Saitama strenght has an explanation, someone else can obtain it.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

YggdrasilTM posted:

It's not supposed to be funny, just like the meteorite, the Sea King and Boros were not funny. It's the usual "serious" setup of the comic; in this case the purpose is to build up Garou, because if Saitama strenght has an explanation, someone else can obtain it.

:prepop:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

this but for one punch man

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Dr. Genus: Look at my series of math equations to explain people!

Saitama: *puts 0 in the divisor*

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It would be fine if the 'secret' of Saitama's strength was never actually revealed.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

You said that you couldn't parse the last update so I was trying to help! :saddowns:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Donkringel posted:

Dr. Genus: Look at my series of math equations to explain people!

Saitama: Ok. -punches math into oblivion and then uses it's scattered remnants to make a fabled 75% off coupon valid at the local supermarket-

Fixed.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

RareAcumen posted:

You said that you couldn't parse the last update so I was trying to help! :saddowns:
Sorry, my bad! thank you tho

I understood the new chapter and Genus' explanation fine, but everyone discussing it and picking it apart is....the opposite of what my brain finds engaging

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RareAcumen posted:

Not just that he was mistaken, but that his whole life's work and everything he's ever done was so thoroughly and easily surpassed. To say nothing of the implications of the existence of someone like Saitama; Genus is a smart, paranoid guy, so he's probably put a lot of thought into the things Saitama could theoretically do. Imagine what it'd be like to know that someone out there had that kind of power, and nothing could stop them from using it however they wanted; Saitama is probably existentially terrifying to Genus.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

Sorry, my bad! thank you tho

I understood the new chapter and Genus' explanation fine, but everyone discussing it and picking it apart is....the opposite of what my brain finds engaging

I can go back to talking about how many servings of monster you need to become powerful!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Donkringel posted:

I can go back to talking about how many servings of monster you need to become powerful!

We need to learn King's diet.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Chicken à la K I N G.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Schwarzwald posted:

I think people are over complicating things.

The wording is clumsy, but it's not some mystical bullshit, it's just the basic premise of the story. Humans/monsters/heroes/space aliens each have a certain range of strength (that is, they're limited), but Saitama is far outside of that. What's significant about it is that Genus, a character in the story, has taken notice of this.

While it does serve as foreshadowing, more than that it's showing that, even though Saitama goes mostly unrecognized, he is making a difference and people are beginning to realize this.

it is slightly more complicated than that.

It's saying Saitama is special and is super duper powerful because he tried really really hard to get strong.

However although Genus isn't aware of him, the way this is displayed in the manga has this conversation is mixed in with Garou fighting. Garou is ALSO trying really really hard to get strong and seems to be somewhere along the way to exceeding his inbuilt limitations through sheer force of will.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Expect My Mom posted:

this but for one punch man

Too lazy to bother drawing the one punch but u know :shrug:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The premise is that Saitama is infinitely powerful. A joke related to that premise is that everybody is wrong about why, including Saitama.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Death Bot posted:

Too lazy to bother drawing the one punch but u know :shrug:
lmfao thank you

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

It would be fine if the 'secret' of Saitama's strength was never actually revealed.

We already knew how Saitama got there (dumb training regiment). That being said, the explanation does present the identity issue the series is having currently; it says it's a parody manga but it's been playing it straight for so long now you could argue it's become a full-on Shounen.

Although! Every time Saitama is on the screen it wheels right back to parody, with complete shutdowns and a protagonist who couldn't really give less of a poo poo about whatever is going on around him, right down to how he'll end some fights even (accidental ringout from a doofy spin in MA competition? Check).

Looks like ONE is trying to do a little of everything here, both serious and comedy, especially since interest in the series has skyrocketed since Murata is spinnin' that artwork gold when his pen hits paper.

If people are having problems (?) with certain plot developments in this manga lately, it's cause they want complete comedy or Shounen but not BOTH, which is kinda what's happened here. It can be jarring to some since ONE as a writer does the serious parts so well that it would probably make some readers think he's somewhat lost his way on what the goal of the premise was.

I'm cool with however he chooses to play it; started out as parody, now it feels 55% parody, 45% SERIOUS punchmans business. Maybe if he goes too far with the drama it could weight down the series and not for the better I'd say. Let's hope that no matter how dire ONE presents a plot crisis he doesn't forget to stick with the goofier aspects like putting heart nipples on one of your main bad guys.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

for those wanting a serious answer about how saitama got his power, webcomic spoilers:

its a parody manga you stupid twat

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

where the red fern gropes posted:

for those wanting a serious answer about how saitama got his power, webcomic spoilers:

I KNEW IT!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Parrotine posted:

We already knew how Saitama got there (dumb training regiment). That being said, the explanation does present the identity issue the series is having currently; it says it's a parody manga but it's been playing it straight for so long now you could argue it's become a full-on Shounen.

Although! Every time Saitama is on the screen it wheels right back to parody, with complete shutdowns and a protagonist who couldn't really give less of a poo poo about whatever is going on around him, right down to how he'll end some fights even (accidental ringout from a doofy spin in MA competition? Check).

Looks like ONE is trying to do a little of everything here, both serious and comedy, especially since interest in the series has skyrocketed since Murata is spinnin' that artwork gold when his pen hits paper.

If people are having problems (?) with certain plot developments in this manga lately, it's cause they want complete comedy or Shounen but not BOTH, which is kinda what's happened here. It can be jarring to some since ONE as a writer does the serious parts so well that it would probably make some readers think he's somewhat lost his way on what the goal of the premise was.

I'm cool with however he chooses to play it; started out as parody, now it feels 55% parody, 45% SERIOUS punchmans business. Maybe if he goes too far with the drama it could weight down the series and not for the better I'd say. Let's hope that no matter how dire ONE presents a plot crisis he doesn't forget to stick with the goofier aspects like putting heart nipples on one of your main bad guys.

a good guideline: don't take a manga more seriously than it takes itself

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 2, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

The premise is that Saitama is infinitely powerful. A joke related to that premise is that everybody is wrong about why, including Saitama.

this is the point i've been ineptly trying to make yeah

though I like the idea that Saitama himself isn't wrong and what he says is literally how he got strong with nothing else involved, just because of how stupid that is

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

where the red fern gropes posted:

I want to see an exact page where this is made clear.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Darth TNT posted:

I want to see an exact page where this is made clear.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/5KVUVj5.mp4

Source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGBz4MtCdEw

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i feel like this manga is more earnest than pulling a fake explination

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Onepunch-Man/Punch-071-005?id=406817

side chapter got tled

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

That was fun.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Haha you knew when they were talking about winning the monsters over with the power of love they were going to get brutally killed. Oh Sweet Mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I love that he has a different hair cut every appearance. Just like a real idol