Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

pritchard's entire audience is people who think dave meltzer is the caricature created by the copy and paste wrestling newz sites they read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Low Desert Punk posted:

I've noticed more and more vitriol getting spewed at Dave Meltzer on just about every wrestling community I've seen, is there a reason why it's so trendy now? And not even the Elgin thing, most wrestling fans online don't give a gently caress from what I've seen. I've heard that Prichard says a lot of poo poo about him on his poo poo podcast

Prichard's podcast is a big hit and he has a "gently caress Dave Meltzer" gimmick. Imo it's a decent podcast and I've enjoyed it every time I've listened. Russo has a similar gimmick because Dave says he's a lovely booker. A lot of WWE fans dislike him for rating NJPW matches higher. Him palling around with the Young Bucks draws the ire of people who hate the Young Bucks.

There are a lot more online wrestling fans in general now so there are also more fans of his than before - sometimes a significant portion of wreddit front page is his tweets and quotes from WON/WOR. Naturally, this in turn leads to more people disliking him.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

If people don't like Dave Meltzer they should encourage other wrestling journalists to supersede him instead of trying to knock him down

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Smoking Crow posted:

If people don't like Dave Meltzer they should encourage other wrestling journalists to supersede him instead of trying to knock him down

But then you're accountable for your bad sources and vague information, and that's no fun!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Look all I know is that I heard a guy on a podcast reference a quote from a 3rd party website about what their drunk friend half-remembers that somebody he thinks might have been Meltzer wrote in this week's Observer... and something else happened instead so therefore Dave is a fool!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Did Ibushi use the Phoenix Splash very often in between losing to AJ in 2015 and beating Cody at WK12? Up to this point I've been under the impression that, at least since he returned to New Japan, he completely stopped using the Phoenix in favor of the Kami Goye.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

You mean like developing sources inside the industry and publishing a newsletter full of original material every week for 30+ years?

Um, that sounds really hard. I'm just gonna hashtag #DaveMeltzerSucks in my latest tweet.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Smoking Crow posted:

Hell, I'd support this just so we can get a few wrestling journalists who can actually write. Dave is terrible at it and most of his copycats are even worse.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Web Jew.0 posted:

Prichard's podcast is a big hit and he has a "gently caress Dave Meltzer" gimmick. Imo it's a decent podcast and I've enjoyed it every time I've listened. Russo has a similar gimmick because Dave says he's a lovely booker. A lot of WWE fans dislike him for rating NJPW matches higher. Him palling around with the Young Bucks draws the ire of people who hate the Young Bucks.

There are a lot more online wrestling fans in general now so there are also more fans of his than before - sometimes a significant portion of wreddit front page is his tweets and quotes from WON/WOR. Naturally, this in turn leads to more people disliking him.

He refuses to acknowledge Yoshiaki Fujiwara and Volk Han and that's damning enough

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dias posted:

But then you're accountable for your bad sources and vague information, and that's no fun!

That's what I love most. When Dave reports something he was told, and it doesn't happen, everybody's quick to point out "Dave's wrong! Dave doesn't know what he's talking about!" But when it happens to them, it's "They changed it after what I was told, so I can't be held accountable!"

Thankfully, there's no one like that here

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Yawn. I don't do that and don't attempt a derail. I own what I get wrong Dave is the one who largely doesn't acknowledge a mistake and plows on.

Meltzer gets overtly told things by people who KNOW and then reports what he wants to report. See Walter and Keith Lee yesterday. Frustrations with Meltzer are a lot more his doing than people are giving him credit for.

Him joining Twitter has only helped stoke anti-Meltzer sentiment. And don't come for me for saying that even Wade Keller said it the other week.

He does have issues with crediting information and has suffered an erosion when it comes to sources. Read an Observer 5, 10, 20 years ago versus now. His level of accuracy is lower than ever.

There's always been anti-Meltzer sentiment online both valid and invalid. Bruce podcast has stoked it up as has Vince Russo's but still, Dave is far from blameless.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
My favourite aspect of Meltzer derangement syndrome is people getting really mad about his star ratings.

quote:

There's always been anti-Meltzer sentiment online both valid and invalid. Bruce podcast has stoked it up as has Vince Russo's but still, Dave is far from blameless.

It's bizarre that Russo, a guy who hasn't been relevant in wrestling for almost twenty years still commands an audience.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Seams posted:

It's bizarre that Russo, a guy who hasn't been relevant in wrestling for almost twenty years still commands an audience.

Russo gains credibility by making some legitimate criticisms about how stale and bad WWE programming can be while offering a sexy sounding solution - Crash TV, bro.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i fed Dave the line that asuka worked stardom, in order to hasten his downfall

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Lol, Dave is extremely good

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The brainless weeb shave seltzer hates and hurts america with his star ratings imo

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

projecthalaxy posted:

The brainless weeb shave seltzer hates and hurts america with his star ratings imo

My only stars are the ones on the Star Spangled Banner, brother! :911:

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

rovert posted:

Him joining Twitter has only helped stoke anti-Meltzer sentiment. And don't come for me for saying that even Wade Keller said it the other week.

This is 100% true thanks to Dave always doing his best Bomani Jones impersonation

I know he's said more than once he enjoys getting into it with braindead/misinformed people on Twitter and I'm like, who hurt you dude nobody ENJOYS that

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
He was similar on the F4W forum. Very hard to get a genuine question/answer out of him unless you are one of his buds or are antagonistic and goad him into it.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Meltzer is overall Good but like y'all are saying, he's only Twitter solely to slap around trolls, which is a done schtick. And the less I hear him talk, the better. "Well, I mean. You know. If it's what they want, then. I mean, it'll be, well, it'll be...it'll definitely be a maaaaatchhh. If that's what they're doing, the maaaaatchhh, it'll be OK, I guess."

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011
I think there's something to be said for the idea that a portion of the anti-Dave crowd overlaps with the guys who believe that Fake News is created by The Globalists to bring down The West.

Claytor fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 4, 2018

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Claytor posted:

I think there's something to be said for the idea that a portion of the anti-Dave crowd overlaps with the guys who believe that Fake News is created by The Globalists to being down The West.

I've noticed this a lot too. A lot of anti-Dave people I've seen bring up Dave as Jewish (which I don't think is even true)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Seams posted:

My favourite aspect of Meltzer derangement syndrome is people getting really mad about his star ratings.

Guilty as charged, I freaked out some months ago about Dave and his loving 4.75s

Takuan
May 6, 2007

From now on when I hear wrestlenewz I don't like, I'm'a accuse it of being fake scoops.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Low Desert Punk posted:

I've noticed this a lot too. A lot of anti-Dave people I've seen bring up Dave as Jewish (which I don't think is even true)

I’m sorry to be the one to break this to you, but there’s significant demographic overlap between wresting fans and mouthbreathing hick stereotypes.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Isn't that form following function though? I mean of course the guy who's great at covering wrestling loves dunking on strangers and can't really speak well. You wouldn't expect someone like Benedict Cumberbatch to write a weekly newsletter on the industry.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

rovert posted:

Yawn. I don't do that and don't attempt a derail. I own what I get wrong Dave is the one who largely doesn't acknowledge a mistake and plows on.

Meltzer gets overtly told things by people who KNOW and then reports what he wants to report. See Walter and Keith Lee yesterday. Frustrations with Meltzer are a lot more his doing than people are giving him credit for.

He does have issues with crediting information and has suffered an erosion when it comes to sources. Read an Observer 5, 10, 20 years ago versus now. His level of accuracy is lower than ever.

no one was talking about you

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Smoking Crow posted:

Unfortunately there are no other wrestling journalists. There's just Big Dave and a bunch of people who repeat what Big Dave said before arguing about whether or not he was right.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Defiance Industries posted:

Unfortunately there are no other wrestling journalists. There's just Big Dave and a bunch of people who repeat what Big Dave said before arguing about whether or not he was right.

In fairness, there isn't enough demand for a second Dave Meltzer. The money simply isn't there to motivate actual journalists to try their hand at covering wrestling. At best, you see "geek culture" sites like IGN throwing up a few wrestling stories every once in a while, but they exist solely because the writer wanted to write the thing, not because there's any profit potential in creating content for wrestling fans.

End result? A couple dozen roverts spread across the internet. People who are really into wrestling and desperately want "talking about wrestling" to be their jobs, but who lack the journalism and writing skills you'd find in people covering basically anything else.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Smoking Crow posted:

no one was talking about you

Right. Makes sense.

Defiance Industries posted:

Not really true. There's Mike Johnson who I don't believe who has hosed up on a level that Meltzer did covering the Michael Elgin/Mo story.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rovert posted:

There's Mike Johnson who I don't believe who has hosed up on a level that Meltzer did covering the Michael Elgin/Mo story.

Mike Johnson's on-camera ringside at One Night Stand 2005 audibly telling Mike Awesome to kill himself

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Discussing the issues people have with Dave Meltzer (and the various presumed reasons why) is fine, don't try to turn it into a rovert derail thanks.

Low Desert Punk posted:

I've heard a lot of criticisms of Dave before (some I agree with, many I don't) but I honestly have to say I've never heard this one, and it kind of blows my mind that it might actually be a thing some people believe. Even if he was Jewish, how could that possibly matter in any way? (I know trying to apply logic in this scenario is a fool's errand)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's crazy how well Dave's twitter gimmick works for him. I was curious to see if I could see why he responds to certain questions and not others and looked at his mentions... and well the sheer volume of interactions he gets is wild.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I've only had nice responses from Dave on twitter but it probably helps that I've asked about old Joshi stuff and guys like Barry Windham and Eddie Gilbert.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

EugeneJ posted:

Mike Johnson's on-camera ringside at One Night Stand 2005 audibly telling Mike Awesome to kill himself

That's true. But at least Mike has addressed it multiple times.

Jerusalem posted:

I've heard a lot of criticisms of Dave before (some I agree with, many I don't) but I honestly have to say I've never heard this one, and it kind of blows my mind that it might actually be a thing some people believe. Even if he was Jewish, how could that possibly matter in any way? (I know trying to apply logic in this scenario is a fool's errand)

Russo on his podcast has given Meltzer the nickname of Mr. Magoo due to Dave's nose. A cartoon character with a large nose who I think is meant to be Jewish.

Russo dabbled with antisemitic imagery in the distant past too:

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/850380996767883264

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i don't think mr. magoo is meant to be jewish https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.48552caa62e5

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

I saw that. You get mixed results online about it.

But you listen to the show where Russo dubbed him it around May 2017 his intentions were clear and was a wolf whistle to his listeners.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
While we're talking about Russo, I find it a little disturbing that he calls one of his shows "Castrating the Marks".

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alright, we talking Russo again?
Is their any precedent of Russo's misogynistic tendencies away from the ring or could his misogynistic stuff just be a sign of the times in which he was booking?
Because it's not like WWF got any better about that after he left.

I don't want to defend Vince Russo.
I just want to be fair about it. So that when we say 'Vince Russo really hates women' we can say it proudly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

VJeff posted:

While we're talking about Russo, I find it a little disturbing that he calls one of his shows "Castrating the Marks".

Disturbing, but not surprising.