Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

fishmech posted:

newsflash: the exact same thing is true across the entire world, in every country except like singapore or san marino since those are literally just a city

and it's especially so for olds because a lot of them are still staying out in farmlands they were born on, or moved to outlying/cheap suburbs before they retired

idk i'm fine w/ blaming boomers for their mess of suburban car-oriented development

His story is shared by millions of other American seniors, about 80 percent of whom live outside of urban areas. "As people have aged in the suburbs, they've been left behind," says Phil Stafford, director of Indiana University's Center on Aging and Community.

And the problem is growing. Americans are getting older: 14 percent are currently over the age of 65, and that's expected to surpass 20 percent by 2030. Modern medicine has extended people's lifespans — and people are spending more years with less physical independence. And yet a smaller percentage of seniors move in with family or to retirement homes than in the past.

"This is an unintended consequence of car-oriented planning," Stafford says. "We thought we were creating ideal communities for young families, but weren't thinking what it'd all look like 30 years down the road."

mostly because they're still still disinterested in building out light rail in the face of literally being killed by car-oriented communities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i'm darkly amused by the concepts being touted as solutions to elderly isolation and their declining quality of life and how they happen to be the exact same things everyone* wants: walkable communities, better public transit

but you see when olds suddenly need it these things are actually considered lol

*for certain values of millennial

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

i’ve previously had a lot of laughs and facepalms in this thread, but i feel like i really get it now.

:smith:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/969219612276613120

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the boomers p much blazed a trail of ruin across eighty years of history

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

California, a failed state if you are white male babby boomber gun nut spouting racial slurs who also needs to drive and park right infront of every store??

we'll tell u more, follow our twitter and tune into all new episode of tucker carlson at 11

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
take medicare and ss and spend it on the cheapest, most remote penal colonies for boomers. spend the savings on education.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i mean i could be convinced that these development trends truly began before the boomers started buying houses out in the burbs, but they certainly did everything they could to reinforce this trend and continue to fight infill development in favor of more single-family housing sprawling ever-outward

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

President Beep posted:

i suppose i already know the answer to this question, but are people, people with money, honestly so easily enthralled by whatever latest flash in the pan gimmick that’s shat out by some futurist rear end in a top hat that they’re willing to pass over proven technology and systems just to get a taste?

“invest in high speed rail/other proven models of mass transit? I’d rather throw money into a hyperloop-shaped hole!”

is it all just some VC pyramid scheme??

actual proven technology has actual numbers and your business proposal carries with it a valuation based on reality and an expectation for performance and profit

completely impossible nonsense you can just put 'expected moneys: $eleventy zillion' and get a thousand venture capitalists to poo poo themselves to throw money at you while you proceed to never make a dime because look at that expected valuation!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
what about uber, but for paratransit and they're eligible to bill medicare

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Xaris posted:

California, a failed state if you are white male babby boomber gun nut spouting racial slurs who also needs to drive and park right infront of every store??

we'll tell u more, follow our twitter and tune into all new episode of tucker carlson at 11
like all failed states, it has a healthy budget surplus, low unemployment, and sprouts new fortune 500 companies like mushrooms after a rainstorm

why cant we be more like kansas, where the unregulated pumping of fracking wastewater is poisoning the water table and setting off near-constrant earthquakes, and the state budget crisis is so acute schools are only open four days a week?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shaggar posted:

take medicare and ss and spend it on the cheapest, most remote penal colonies for boomers. spend the savings on education.

Logan's Run was a utopia

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i eagerly await the balkanization of america where everything but the coasts immediately becomes 3rd world

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

like all failed states, it has a healthy budget surplus, low unemployment, and sprouts new fortune 500 companies like mushrooms after a rainstorm

why cant we be more like kansas, where the unregulated pumping of fracking wastewater is poisoning the water table and setting off near-constrant earthquakes, and the state budget crisis is so acute schools are only open four days a week?

i was going to post the usgs oklahoma animation showing the giant spike in earthquakes there but apparently that twitter account no longer exists lol

https://twitter.com/usgs/status/931273171122163712

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

infernal machines posted:

i eagerly await the balkanization of america where everything but the coasts immediately becomes 3rd world

How is that different from now?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

How is that different from now?

they won't be americans any more

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

everything but the coasts immediately becomes 3rd world
img-timeline.jpg, dude

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

President Beep posted:

you know what? gently caress it. we deserve to go extinct. don’t have to kill anyone, just universal sterilization.

as a species we’re just the absolute worst

We won't be here for long, and the Earth will carry on just fine once we're gone :unsmith:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

c-list midwestern transit hubs you want

they are building one in pittsburg?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

they won't be americans any more

“i will die defending our charter!”

—unknown podunk township patriot, killed in action repelling annexation attempt from nearby city

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

if my board of trustee masters knew i harbored such treasonous thoughts they’d string me up at the corporate boundary

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cool startup feel posted:

they are building one in pittsburg?

pittsburgh is a coastal city

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

investors are increasingly chasing stupider and stupider ideas for the promise of bigger returns, it's basically the topic of the thread and a symptom of rich ppl having more money than they know what to do with

for the word "investors" everyone has this image of rich moneybags dumping millions into hyperloop because who cares it's pocket change, but actually it's more like pension funds who need a 5% return and they're not gonna get it from bonds. with the stock market doing great the last few years they can use that, but when it sucks they pour money into vcs and other questionable initiatives (madoff et al)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

DELETE CASCADE posted:

for the word "investors" everyone has this image of rich moneybags dumping millions into hyperloop because who cares it's pocket change, but actually it's more like pension funds who need a 5% return and they're not gonna get it from bonds. with the stock market doing great the last few years they can use that, but when it sucks they pour money into vcs and other questionable initiatives (madoff et al)
madoff wasnt pension funds and institutional investors - he mostly preyed on the noveau riche, people who had made their fortune and were looking for a place to put it. lots of celebrities and famous authors and the like

e: whoops, not quite. he had a lot of noveau richies that he flimflammed

quote:

Other notable clients included former Salomon Brothers economist Henry Kaufman, Steven Spielberg, Jeffrey Katzenberg, actors Kevin Bacon, Kyra Sedgwick, John Malkovich, and Zsa Zsa Gabor, Mortimer Zuckerman,[224] Baseball Hall of Fame pitcher Sandy Koufax, the Wilpon family (owners of the New York Mets), broadcaster Larry King and World Trade Center developer Larry Silverstein. The Elie Wiesel Foundation for Humanity lost $15.2 million, and Wiesel and his wife, Marion, lost their life savings.[225]
(what kind of monster rips off the elie wiesel foundation?)

but he also managed to snare some big institutional accounts

quote:

Fairfield Greenwich Group, $7.50 billion
Tremont Capital Management, which is owned by MassMutual,[227] $3.30 billion
Banco Santander, $2.87 billion
Bank Medici, $2.10 billion
Ascot Partners, $1.80 billion
Access International Advisors, $1.40 billion
Fortis, $1.35 billion
HSBC, $1 billion

FMguru fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 2, 2018

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i mean i could be convinced that these development trends truly began before the boomers started buying houses out in the burbs, but they certainly did everything they could to reinforce this trend and continue to fight infill development in favor of more single-family housing sprawling ever-outward

the boomers' parents invented the car-based sprawl in the 1940s

boomers merely perfected it

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 2, 2018

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

lol this is based on that us news & world reports publication which is hilarious and I’ve already had plenty of bfe relatives going on about

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings

it’s metrics are shaky, game able, and basically a Simpson’s paradox-y mess

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

FMguru posted:

madoff wasnt pension funds and institutional investors - he mostly preyed on the noveau riche, people who had made their fortune and were looking for a place to put it. lots of celebrities and famous authors and the like

can someone help me out with understanding this because i see it so often i have to assume that i’m missing something. if you have millions of dollars is there any reason you wouldn’t follow the same investing advice you would if you had any lesser amount of money?

like it seems that once you pass some nebulous point of net worth then suddenly the standard ‘even distribution of stocks both international and US plus bonds depending on your appetite for risk’ no longer works. are these people just bigger targets so they’re more likely to be scammed or is there an actual reason a bog-standard vanguard mutual fund won’t work?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I suppose having money doesn’t make a greedy person any less greedy. good target for a scam promising sky high returns.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

President Beep posted:

ok, perhaps. just to make sure i get you though, you’re saying that public transit in america is on par with that of most other developed countries?

i'm saying there's a persistent, incorrect, belief among americans that it's unusual or special that most of the suburbs and nearly all rural america has poor to nonexistent public transit.

this is just as true in most developed countries, but when you're visiting the rear end end of nowhere, france, you're not going to have reason to really experience it while you notice that paris transit is fine. for instance.

there's also just a shitload more literally empty spaces in america, because it is continent size but over 80% of the country lives in less than 3% of that land. and many of those are in filler states like ohio that just kinda blend together like the various completely collapsed areas of the eastern bloc

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

idk i'm fine w/ blaming boomers for their mess of suburban car-oriented development

His story is shared by millions of other American seniors, about 80 percent of whom live outside of urban areas. "As people have aged in the suburbs, they've been left behind," says Phil Stafford, director of Indiana University's Center on Aging and Community.

And the problem is growing. Americans are getting older: 14 percent are currently over the age of 65, and that's expected to surpass 20 percent by 2030. Modern medicine has extended people's lifespans — and people are spending more years with less physical independence. And yet a smaller percentage of seniors move in with family or to retirement homes than in the past.

"This is an unintended consequence of car-oriented planning," Stafford says. "We thought we were creating ideal communities for young families, but weren't thinking what it'd all look like 30 years down the road."

mostly because they're still still disinterested in building out light rail in the face of literally being killed by car-oriented communities

here's the thing: there's still all sorts of "retirement cities" and "retirement communities" being built out in the rear end end of nowhere on the cheapest land you can find, which these people intentionally move to and are then stuck in for the rest of their lives

like this whole site is just trying to sell various "55+ active adult" communities to people and when you go and look at em on a map they're in nowhere and you're going to need to drive a ton to do anything more than visit some lovely "community center" or use the twice weekly bus out to walmart: https://www.55places.com/new-jersey/communities/sea-breeze-lacey

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the boomers' parents invented the car-based sprawl in the 1940s

boomers merely perfected it

their grandparents invented it in the 20s, but the depression and then the war put most of that on hold until after the war. even still some of that started to get built during the depression and the war for all the rurals fleeing failing farm/small town life for city/suburb jobs

because remember: the suburbs primarily weren't built from long term city people moving out. it was rurals who'd temporarily moved to the city in extenuating circumstances and jumped on their first chances to leave, combined with rurals who'd never made it to the city

fishmech fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 2, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

is this more or less humane than leaving them on ice floes?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fishmech posted:

like this whole site is just trying to sell various "55+ active adult" communities to people and when you go and look at em on a map they're in nowhere and you're going to need to drive a ton to do anything more than visit some lovely "community center" or use the twice weekly bus out to walmart: https://www.55places.com/new-jersey/communities/sea-breeze-lacey

this is just a suburban subdivision with smaller homes

people who move here are not looking to give up their cars -- they just want to stop managing their own maintenance matters

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

there's a great line in Blindsight where a character mentions their time doing third world relief charity work in Texas

tho it was in the context of 'people still gently caress in person out in the backward places'

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is just a suburban subdivision with smaller homes

people who move here are not looking to give up their cars -- they just want to stop managing their own maintenance matters

a suburban subdivision with smaller homes, which is also located in the rear end end of nowhere separated from normal development that might at some point pick up transit.

the olds move there before they "need" to not drive anymore, and often tell themselves they'll be fine there. but then they're 70 or something and they cant really handle driving anymore but they still have to or face being shutins. that is the point.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Munkeymon posted:

there's a great line in Blindsight where a character mentions their time doing third world relief charity work in Texas

tho it was in the context of 'people still gently caress in person out in the backward places'

lol blindsight is so good

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

FMguru posted:

it does have a troubling recent history of measles outbreaks, and recently even its most prosperous citizens have been reported to be drinking untreated water and chugging industrial slurry for daily nutrition

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

its most prosperous citizens have been reported to be drinking untreated water and drinking industrial slurry for daily nutrition

that’s actually the latest health trend. raw water is out, rotten water is in!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

it does have a troubling recent history of measles outbreaks, and recently even its most prosperous citizens have been reported to be drinking untreated water and chugging industrial slurry for daily nutrition

and as far as pillaging resources goes, during the drought farmers pumped so much water out of the ground that the aquifers partially collapsed and will never, ever recover that lost capacity.

never mind the long standing smog problem in the la area, which has apparently been getting worse lately.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 2, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Munkeymon posted:

you have reminded me of a science fiction book i have, set in texas, where there is a chapter describing the protagonist's yeast infection (brought on by the third-world conditions in that state) and then the painful, burning, unprotected -- but desperately needed -- sex she has with her boyfriend, lubricated by antifungal cream

i know bad sex scenes in sci fi are a cliche but that one really goes to the next level

special prize to anyone who knows which book i mean

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

ate all the Oreos posted:

i think you mean "an officer-involved shooting where the suspect received multiple bullet wounds"

https://fair.org/home/6-elements-of-police-spin-an-object-lesson-in-copspeak/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

The_Franz posted:

and as far as pillaging resources goes, during the drought farmers pumped so much water out of the ground that the aquifers partially collapsed and will never, ever recover that lost capacity.

never mind the long standing smog problem in the la area, which has apparently been getting worse lately.

don't forget people having nowhere better to live than in warehouses full of oily rags and kindling, with no fire suppression, and the predictable results. and the elite VIPs who get away with rampant sexual assault for decades