Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Night10194 posted:

I mean isn't Bardin kind of the only one where his Ranged career *isn't* his most powerful by a country mile, and even then it's still pretty goddamn good?

Doomdwarf is in full effect with Ranger Bardin, but basically yeah lotta the ranged careers just need to eat a nerf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Rayjenkins posted:

Holy poo poo put limited use ratling guns and warpthrowers on the maps or give those specials a rare chance to drop them.

Million dollar idea Fatshark pay me.

i want a bit where you man a helblaster like the miniguns in l4d

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

StashAugustine posted:

i want a bit where you man a helblaster like the miniguns in l4d

preferably such that manning the weapon isn't a humongous trap (like in l4d)

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
To be accurately represented, a hellblaster should have a chance to misfire and explode, killing the entire group.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Where's my bloody uber driver?!!

That's all I hear now when Kruber ults so I'm forcing my curse onto you

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Is it recommended to not open the levelup chests until you reach a certain level so all the items get beefed up?

Also as a new player, I wish it tracked combined levels, I feel like I'm punished lootwise if I don't tunnel on a single character.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Grondoth posted:

Doomdwarf is in full effect with Ranger Bardin, but basically yeah lotta the ranged careers just need to eat a nerf

Or just make the melee ones better? I think the whole limited ammo thing really lends to having twice as much being more fun so you don't feel like you have to always save it for elites only.

One thing I noticed that I really liked was if you level up multiple characters, when you play with bots they will play with the weapons you have equipped on those characters. At the end of the last beta I was playing merc kruber and had my ironbreaker dwarf bot just owning with the drakefire pistols all day. Bots are also better than most people who play this game, I've not lost a map yet playing with a bot team compared to the several failed runs with idiots who don't know what they're doing. Clearly at higher difficulties you'll need real people, but for leveling on recruit I suggest bots who won't leave you and actually kill elites, share potions, and rez each other.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
its Vermintide: bad rats 2's loot system differant or better?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I want to say once your character lvl is high enough you can just craft the strongest items and only play recruit difficulty and never get items above 100 from the chests from beating the mission. It looks like the only thing you get for going up a difficulty is slightly more exp for completing the mission and a higher cap on the items in the chest in the end.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Is it recommended to not open the levelup chests until you reach a certain level so all the items get beefed up?

Also as a new player, I wish it tracked combined levels, I feel like I'm punished lootwise if I don't tunnel on a single character.

Just open the chests and have fun with the crap inside them.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It feels like the commendation chests have pretty crap rarity chance, so might as well open them, use them, and salvage them for crafting mats when you're done.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

comatose posted:

Just open the chests and have fun with the crap inside them.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

wargames posted:

its Vermintide: bad rats 2's loot system differant or better?

As someone who hated the loot system from vt1, the new loot system is both different and better.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Rayjenkins posted:

Also it’s kind of amusing that fantasy is getting way better games than 40k has gotten in recent memory.

Fantasy has always been a lot more interesting than 40K imo, it doesn't surprise me that most of the quality has come out in the former opposed to the latter. That's not to say 40K can't a fun setting, but 9 times out of 10 it's another story about the Space Marines, who are pretty much non-human so you rarely get any kind of interaction that's not your usual SPEHSS MEHREEN banter, much less any hope of seeing people team up who aren't usually just guys in the same chapter. Past that, them telling you about how important the 823rd battle in the assblasticus region of skum prime is, is never as compelling as being able to look at a map of the old world in a Fantasy game and be like "There, that's where this is happening" and see it yourself.

CupNoodleKing
Feb 17, 2011

I unlocked Slayer and I'm in love. Leaping and hacking everything to pieces just feels so right. The highlight was leaping at an assassin and intercepting it mid-flight.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, in 40k, they can always just blow up the planet and move on.

Reeeeeally can't do that in Fantasy, for obvious reasons, so there's something people actually have to fight over.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Night10194 posted:

Reeeeeally can't do that in Fantasy, for obvious reasons, so there's something people actually have to fight over.
There was that time the skaven blew up the moon

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Night10194 posted:

I have bad news for you......

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, I know, I'm talking of back before they decided to go full idiot.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Saltzpyre ultimately declared a heretic cuz he doesn't wanna be a space marine but with fantasy flavor

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Broken Cog posted:

It feels like the commendation chests have pretty crap rarity chance, so might as well open them, use them, and salvage them for crafting mats when you're done.

then again I just got two orange and a blue out of a pleb box so box quality and rarity seems like more of a crapshoot than ranalds gift

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Martout posted:

then again I just got two orange and a blue out of a pleb box so box quality and rarity seems like more of a crapshoot than ranalds gift

The last two Emperor boxes I've gotten have had nothing but whites and I think maybe a green, meanwhile my commendation just gave me two blues.

Nurgle ain't poo poo, Nuffle's the one you gotta watch out for.

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010
I'm glad that the dwarf is still amazing but I also know I am doomed to forever play the elf just so me and my mates don't have to deal with other elf players. I genuinely have no idea how elves are so consistently bad, even now when they get loving regenerating health.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Anyone else notice some weirdness with the Lumberjack's level 5 talent, specifically the one that gives you an extra stamina shield? I don't notice any difference when I have it selected vs. not selected; still got the same amount of block shields.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

the best data on the way the system currently works:

levels no longer matter in terms of hero power. basically, you have a global variable that keeps track of the highest power level you've ever seen. when you crack open a box, it rolls at that level and plus or minus 10 or something to determine the actual hero power you get out of the box. from there, the game takes note of the power levels it sees and resets the global variable if it's higher. then, obviously, you have the 100/200/300 hard limit for difficulty boxes.

functionally what this means is that you have to open a lot of boxes before you can get good stuff. this also means that tunneling one character is kind of a bad idea, strictly speaking, since you'll need a couple dozen recruit boxes just to get up to the 100 hard cap on the difficulty.

so, if you want to be harshly optimal on this, basically you should save your general's, emperor's, and commendation boxes for when you have a maxed out potential power level so you can make the most of these harder to obtain boxes, and crack open peasant through soldier boxes to get that number up.

living in reality, however, it seems like this will make a pretty minimal difference so if you just open the drat boxes you're doing it at least 90% right.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 2, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

also, fun quote of the day is one of Saltzpyre's shouts: "The crime is your revolting existence! The sentence is death!"

Hm I wonder where I've heard that befo--

oh right

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Saltzpyre's sheer angry is adorable.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
To The US Senate Finance Committee, if you're out there:

NOCHRE LEAF

Also, sorry our game crashed, I only found out you were a goon afterwards.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Just had a Veteran Empire in Flames run that ended in the stupidest way possible. :smith: Everything had been going pretty smoothly, and we were in the "everything is blowing up run run run" part.

Then? The dwarf dies, and I'm one hit away from death with white HP. The elf (with green HP) runs ahead of me, steals a medkit from under my nose, and then proceeds to not heal me. A rat ogre spawns when we're like 50 feet away from the gate of the town, so I decide to just try and loving book it since I'm still at one hit and I have approximately two bullets left. The tied up dwarf is at the broken wall you use to escape and the path was basically clear, so I figure I can rez him and the both of us at least can get out alive.

The dwarf disconnects before I can reach him and is replaced by an AI. I free the AI, but Immediately after that, I get killed by like a single Chaos guy I didn't see. Because I'm dead, the AI teleports back to the elf, who is currently being killed by the rat ogre, only to die alongside her. I don't think she ever used that medkit, either.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Frustrated posted:

Or just make the melee ones better? I think the whole limited ammo thing really lends to having twice as much being more fun so you don't feel like you have to always save it for elites only.
Yeah, honestly, I think the +100% ammo is the main issue with the ranged classes and why they generally feel so much more powerful than their counterparts. The ranged weapons are all really powerful right now, but generally use-limited and seem like something you're supposed to use to bail yourself out of dangerous situations or to delete specials before they can hurt you. Not only do all the ranged classes have double ammo, they also get additional ammo regen abilities, between Kerillian's ability, Bardin's equipment drops, Kruber's headshot ability, and Saltzpyre can get 8 free repeater shots every 8 seconds at level 10. This means you get some pretty incredible ranged stopping power and can keep doing it at will.

If they go the route of nerfing the ranged classes instead of buffing the melee ones, I'd cut their ammo bonus first and foremost. They often don't give up much, either: Saltzpyre loses extra team damage against tagged targets (and later abilities when they die, sure) and gains the ability to just kill those enemies outright.

e: Speaking of Witch Hunter, now that I don't feel like I have to use the rapier constantly, are their any other weapons I should look out for? I took both the falchion and greatsword for a spin but I can't decide how I feel about them.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 2, 2018

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I have bad news for you......

Dramatic reenactment of GW launching Age of Sigmar

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Why do I feel like all of Sienna's abilities are loving broken? You'd think a nuclear explosion in the middle of a group would at least kill something but I feel like the fire doesn't do a drat thing. Her initial ability just feels like a lovely teleport you use to get further into trouble because the flames sure as hell aren't hurting anything. Or if it is, then it's .025% of 1 HP per second.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

Jimbot posted:

Why do I feel like all of Sienna's abilities are loving broken? You'd think a nuclear explosion in the middle of a group would at least kill something but I feel like the fire doesn't do a drat thing. Her initial ability just feels like a lovely teleport you use to get further into trouble because the flames sure as hell aren't hurting anything. Or if it is, then it's .025% of 1 HP per second.

I'm sick of her fire not doing poo poo. It turns them black and they dance around for a little bit before going back to smacking you in the face.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Her living bomb unchained ability isnt too great either. Her fireball staff is great though.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Really? Her fireball staff feels like you're flinging balls of trash at enemies. On top of that you can't see anything because of all the fire snot obscuring your vision. The feedback on her staffs is really bad.

It feels like all the creative ideas went into Saltzpyre because all of his classes just murder everything whereas they wanted to finish up the design document before lunch so they threw some poo poo together quickly for Sienna and called it a day. Every character feels good except for her. Ranged is balls-to-the-wall powerful yet the character that's supposed to specialize in it - being a mage and all - it feels the weakest.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Ignite Memories posted:

Haha, willie tomg was telling me yesterday how the flamethrower staff does the same drat thing if you accidentally hold M1 too long

They seemed to have fixed that in today's patch. Most welcome.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

e: Speaking of Witch Hunter, now that I don't feel like I have to use the rapier constantly, are their any other weapons I should look out for? I took both the falchion and greatsword for a spin but I can't decide how I feel about them.

Speaking from VT1 (and only using it a bit in VT2), the Falchion is incredibly strong and versatile. The normal swings hit multiple targets for good damage, and you can cancel the 3rd overhead hit in the combo by just tapping block for the briefest of moments. It can block cancel the combo much faster than other weapons for some reason. The charged attacks are really good anti-armor, and the weapon has a really good headshot bonus.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Just a newbie here, but the reason I think Sienna feels like the weakest, at least with the first few levels and no broken item traits available, is that while her "ammo" recharges between fights, she has very little of it, meanwhile the ranged classes with 25-50 shots can either use their insane ammo regeneration traits or just use the sometimes plentiful ammo crates and bags all around the map, not even including the level 25 full ammo recharge on ult traits or any ranged weapons that could drop with ammo refill conditions.

That and the friggen fireball staff blinding me everytime I load a fireball and like mentioned the feedback isn't great.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I saw a Sienna with some kinda laser staff that would reach across the whole drat field in Against the Grain. I think I did like 450 damage that round cuz she and BH Salty just shredded stuff before I could get close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

The charged fireballs do pretty good damage w/ AOE and have a great knockback. Have Kruber or Baradin tank the pack while you throw charged fireballs and when you get too hot you can jump in.

• Locked thread