Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It should have been centered around the dot com bubble so we could see them give Pets.com a Disney death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Watch the movie turn out to be just fine, but merely have had a rather lousy trailer for it, similar to how Zootopia seemed kinda "eh" until it came out (or at least, until the DMV scene was used as a trailer).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Zootopia was “eh”. I don’t think a single joke landed for me and I’m still astonished by how much people like that film.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure Ralph 2 will be fine but the name is really dumb and internet jokes tend to have a really bad shelf life, especially with goons.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

glam rock hamhock posted:

I'm sure Ralph 2 will be fine but the name is really dumb and internet jokes tend to have a really bad shelf life, especially with goons.

Thing is though a lot of the jokes will likely last because some aspects of the internet are surprisingly static, like there have always been clickbait headlines and likely always will be. It's an old joke, but that's because it's still happening. Of course with some of the phone games that have come out recently the simplicity of the presented phone game may quickly be losing it's shelf life because there are a few games that are trying to be more ambitious.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Zootopia was “eh”. I don’t think a single joke landed for me and I’m still astonished by how much people like that film.

What if I told you movies can be good for reasons other than jokes?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Whiz Palace posted:

It's like when the Nostalgia Critic did Mars Attacks - he kept harping on it for not being laugh out loud funny. That's not the point of the movie - it's ridiculous certainly in how it takes the usual invasion tropes and escalates them ludicrously, like using a general as a flagpole or setting an entire herd of cows on fire for no reason, and the comedy comes from those extremes - it's not necessarily going for a laugh though. Some scenes certainly, like "Do not run, we are your friends!", or the bowling ball taking out Easter Island, but for the most part it is more fun in a surreal way - the amusement doesn't come from jokes, but from what the movie is doing, more an acrobat than a clown.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
The Nostalgia Critic went through all of Last Action Hero without realizing it was satire, so I don't really think he's a good gauge of humor.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

BioEnchanted posted:

Of course with some of the phone games that have come out recently the simplicity of the presented phone game may quickly be losing it's shelf life because there are a few games that are trying to be more ambitious.

Be fair, it’s a game for a toddler.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Phylodox posted:

Be fair, it’s a game for a toddler.

Also to be fair, I laughed pretty hard at the payoff to that joke. :shobon:

Generally I'm OK with lazy jokes, if they are accompanied with some good satire as well as making sense within their world. Rocko's Modern Life has great satire, and so when they go for something a little stupid or a grossout joke I'm more in the mood to find it funny, because the clever moments got me on the writer's side. In one of the episodes with the Bigheads (I think), I wouldn't have laughed so hard at the old gag where Rocko gets started by his alarm clock and his head crashes through the ceiling, but with clever jokes the episode primed me to enjoy it's simpler jokes. Similarly, Bowser spittaking fireballs in WiR is a silly visual, but the strong characterisation of Zangief proves that the writers are capable and willing to do more so the simpler jokes are balanced.

On the other hand the trailer for Monster Family puts me against the movie because the best foot forward it seems to have is the dad announcing himself as now a frankenstein's monster by farting. Why farting? Bowser's fireballs make sense given his animations and attacks, Rocko smashing through the ceiling makes sense as an exaggerated reflex - what the hell does a Frankensteins monster have to do with farting? If they had made him a zombie instead it would have worked better as intact bodies releasing gas post mortem due to decomposition is a thing that you can build a fart joke around, but they got lazy and came up with something more recognisable without thinking about the jokes that they could make - the Monster is traditionally made with lightning, have him occasionally accidentally floof his werewolf son with static electricity - short punchy joke for the kids that makes sense. If your going to do something stupid, think it through. There can be art in a silly joke if internally consistent.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 1, 2018

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

SolarFire2 posted:

The Nostalgia Critic went through all of Last Action Hero without realizing it was satire, so I don't really think he's a good gauge of humor.

The dude is kind of an idiot and really doesn't try to get past his particular biases

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Whiz Palace posted:

BioEnchanted posted:

It's like when the Nostalgia Critic did Mars Attacks - he kept harping on it for not being laugh out loud funny. That's not the point of the movie - it's ridiculous certainly in how it takes the usual invasion tropes and escalates them ludicrously, like using a general as a flagpole or setting an entire herd of cows on fire for no reason, and the comedy comes from those extremes - it's not necessarily going for a laugh though. Some scenes certainly, like "Do not run, we are your friends!", or the bowling ball taking out Easter Island, but for the most part it is more fun in a surreal way - the amusement doesn't come from jokes, but from what the movie is doing, more an acrobat than a clown.

:jerkbag:
I understand that movies have a function beyond making people laugh, the problem is that Zootopia was also incredibly boring and forgettable.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Sorry if mine read as an attack Jerk (:v:) I was just elaborating on Whiz Palace's point.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Robindaybird posted:

The dude is kind of an idiot and really doesn't try to get past his particular biases

I'm still mad about a lot his AtLA reviews because he thought so many good episodes were bad because they did things he had seen before. And that time he made a video essay about vanishing disney villains like a day after Lindsay Ellis did a video essay about vanishing disney villains. And that poorly researched Sailor Moon review.

Man, that guy straight up sucks a lot of the time.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

SolarFire2 posted:

See also: any of his "jokes"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

nerdman42 posted:

I'm still mad about a lot his AtLA reviews because he thought so many good episodes were bad because they did things he had seen before. And that time he made a video essay about vanishing disney villains like a day after Lindsay Ellis did a video essay about vanishing disney villains. And that poorly researched Sailor Moon review.

Remember when he did a "Let's Play" of Bart's Nightmare, only he didn't actually play the game and all he did was yell and scream?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
^^^ I love that he did that just for the backlash alone. To his credit though he realized right away that it was dogshit and has made fun of himself constantly for it ever since.

nerdman42 posted:

When NC is good he’s good. He’s not usually good though.

Lindsay Ellis on the other hand owns consistently.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 2, 2018

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Re-watched some clips from The Black Cauldron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1FyEqhnqPU

I'm not sure if any other Disney movie has had such a serious imbalance between how credible the villain seemed and how lame the heroes were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiN4Q5SBUzA

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Never pay attention to a critic with a persona/avatar/character, especially if they do their reviews in character as them. Also never watch a movie review that is itself as long as a feature film.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

Never pay attention to a critic with a persona/avatar/character, especially if they do their reviews in character as them. Also never watch a movie review that is itself as long as a feature film.

Looks like someone hasn't eaten The Whole Plate. :colbert:

And while I did enjoy the exploding bunny gag for its resemblance to finger family creepypasta type stuff, the trailer as a whole was shockingly mediocre. The thing that soured my initial impressions of Zootopia was the "hey look kids, BRANDS"-ness of some of the advertising. Now we're getting a movie with hilarious ebay jokes. hoorah.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Mann posted:

Never pay attention to a critic with a persona/avatar/character, especially if they do their reviews in character as them.

I was about to say Videogamedunkey is the exception to this but then I remembered that he (mostly) breaks character for his actual reviews.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy Mann posted:

On topic to this thread, Mysterious Mr. Enter has some odd biases and bad opinions (likely caused by him being literally a sheltered autist), but when something doesn't intersect with those things he's usually pretty insightful (and I've learned about a lot of weird crap from his channel). His "character" pretty much goes as far as a) having a very poor self-image and not wanting to be on camera, and b) not really wanting people to know his personal info.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Mr Enter is the loving worst

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mr. Enter just isn't very good at speaking, which yeah, autism, I've been there, but it's something you'd at least improve on after making so many videos.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mikey from Movies with... Mikey has kinda devolved into a character in some of his more recent videos. The Muffled Catawumpuses are too often and too long, his stated intent to find the best in films has begun strain to what little critical credibility he had to begin with, and his John Wick 2 video starts off with a three-minute long terrible rap song containing garbage impressions of Nicki Manaj and Kanye West.

At least, it did. He reuploaded a "reedited" version where the only change was that the rap song was removed, probably because people shouted at him until he came to his senses.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
The best reviewers are the ones that quit reviewing all together to do nothing but weird Lovecraftian puppet shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zUA5NospKw

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

On topic to this thread, Mysterious Mr. Enter has some odd biases and bad opinions (likely caused by him being literally a sheltered autist), but when something doesn't intersect with those things he's usually pretty insightful (and I've learned about a lot of weird crap from his channel). His "character" pretty much goes as far as a) having a very poor self-image and not wanting to be on camera, and b) not really wanting people to know his personal info.

Are we really going to attribute having a "bad" opinion to being a symptom of autism?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

SimonCat posted:

Re-watched some clips from The Black Cauldron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1FyEqhnqPU

I'm not sure if any other Disney movie has had such a serious imbalance between how credible the villain seemed and how lame the heroes were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiN4Q5SBUzA

I maintain that The Black Cauldron is one of the strangest (and best) adaptation choices Disney has ever made.

Before they were big enough to outright buy Marvel and Star Wars, they thought they could hook the young male demographic with a watered-down take on Welsh mythology that borrowed a little too much from The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings and came out well before Harry Potter made British boarding school mysteries cool for mainstream audiences.

Add Elmer Bernstein's insane Ghostbusters cast-off soundtrack and you've got something that could have appealed to everyone but understandably appeals to absolutely nobody.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Guy Mann posted:

come on now, the Plinkett reviews for the Star Wars Prequels were funny

well, TPM and AotC were good

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Roth posted:

Are we really going to attribute having a "bad" opinion to being a symptom of autism?

in his specific case, yes, because his worse opinions tend to be the result of him taking an ultra-"rational" and detached view on an issue where that's not actually the best approach. this is, from what I understand, a thing that's pretty common with people who have autism and don't have a lot of life experience (hell, I'm on the autism spectrum and can say this is something I had to get over). it was not meant to be a generalized statement.

e: like, I think you're misunderstanding me a little if you think I'm trying to attack people with autism, I'm moreso trying to say that as another person with autism it's fairly obvious to me why he occasionally says dumb, tone-deaf poo poo.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 2, 2018

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Ok, that makes more sense.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGNwOoWnOMw

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Holy poo poo that lip syncing

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Think it'll get nominated for an Emmy?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Roth posted:

It is missing the mark, because Mr. Enter's criticism is just standard YouTube criticism - preoccupation with plot holes, "unlikable" characters, perceived evil of authors and creators, etc - taken to its terrifying conclusion.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Aces High posted:

come on now, the Plinkett reviews for the Star Wars Prequels were funny

well, TPM and AotC were good

To each his own, obviously, but I’ve never seen the appeal in Plinket or RLM for that matter. I find them
Obnoxious and dull. Just because they’re right about bad movies, doesn’t mean they’re good. But that’s just me against the entire Internet, basically.

In what universe is Boss Baby academy awards material btw?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BigglesSWE posted:

I mean... look at our president?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

BigglesSWE posted:

The universe in which the Academy doesn't give a poo poo about animation as a medium and made an entire category so a cartoon could never win Best Picture and they just nominate whatever their kid saw and pick the Disney movie to win.

E: Remember, the first Best Animated Picture was Shrek.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So is Alan Tudyk Disney Animation's version of John Ratzenberger cause he's been in all their features since Wreck-it Ralph. He apparently has a voice in the sequel too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Waffleman_ posted:

The universe in which the Academy doesn't give a poo poo about animation as a medium and made an entire category so a cartoon could never win Best Picture and they just nominate whatever their kid saw and pick the Disney movie to win.

E: Remember, the first Best Animated Picture was Shrek.

It’s even worse than that. The Academy as a whole constantly votes for movies they haven’t even watched and often dismisses films from contention for tiny things, like the voter not liking a particular director personally. Go read any of the anonymous voter explanation articles, they’re infuriating. The Oscars haven’t meant poo poo for 40+ years.