Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Edna Mode posted:

There's two Disneys: the one you went to when you were young and the one you go to now. You keep going partially because of the nostalgia from when you were younger, so it's hard when things change!

I find that all of the complaints about park changes seem pretty silly when you're actually in the parks. Standing in line to meet Black Panther behind an excited kid talking about how much he loved the Guardians ride...I'm not going to interrupt and say "Tower of Terror was better!"

I first went to Disney-anything when I was 27. Oh how I long for those lost bygone days of 2012.

Actually, reality was better then by almost all metrics...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I started attending Universal Orlando and Disney multiple times a month when I was around 4, in 1996. I've seen the parks through incredible amounts of changes (especially Universal, since I've attended for almost the entirety of its existence). I still maintain a lot of nostalgia for the old days, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy myself now. Change is not always a bad thing, though I do think the Magic Kingdom serves as more of a time capsule than most. I legitimately won't be surprised if the Haunted Mansion hits its 100th birthday, because that ride is packed constantly and sells a ton of merchandise.

If you want some serious nostalgia, I had this video when I was a kid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-xtac5wL4c

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I wish I could have gone to Universal back in the day when they were filming all the Nickelodeon shows there. Now, I really only want to go so I can do HP worlds, and you have to do the park to park in order to really experience that.

I've only been going to WDW since 2015, my thread post history will show that- but it's cool to see the changes that have happened in the last three years and to see what's coming over the road to the 50th anniversary. I love history, and reading about all the things Disney and Co. have done in the last 100 years are pretty cool, and the parks have been around for 60 of them - that's pretty impressive for any real business to have that much of a social impact over time.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I have an insanely, insanely 90s photo of me as a 6 year old in front of the slime fountain in a Rugrats shirt. I've always wanted to go back and stand in front of the hole where the fountain was with a depressed, adultish look and take a photo.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I wonder: Would going to WDW shortly after Toy Story world opens be ideal, crowd level wise? HS was the least interesting part of my recent tour by far, and Toy Story isn't a huge draw for me, so if all the crowds were there, perhaps the other parks would be more manageable. However, the opening could also attract lots of people who go to see Toy Story but then also don't want to miss the other parks and crowd the rest of them up, too. How bad did non-AK parks get when Pandora opened?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Funkmaster General posted:

I wonder: Would going to WDW shortly after Toy Story world opens be ideal, crowd level wise? HS was the least interesting part of my recent tour by far, and Toy Story isn't a huge draw for me, so if all the crowds were there, perhaps the other parks would be more manageable. However, the opening could also attract lots of people who go to see Toy Story but then also don't want to miss the other parks and crowd the rest of them up, too. How bad did non-AK parks get when Pandora opened?

MK is always busy. The other parks ebb and flow. EPCOT will always seem busy for the big rides due to the low number of attractions and the locals tend to hang out there more than any other park in my experience (especially during festivals). AK is pretty great now aside from Pandora because everyone is spending so much time there. HS will of course be nuts.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fun fact: the Nickelodeon studios are still standing and are just used as a regular soundstage and Blue Man Group offices. I filmed a TV show in there for about 12 days.

Banned-from-Disney YouTube trespasser adamthewoo did a video where he snuck into the "abandoned" Nickelodeon Studios about a month or two before the sets were constructed. He comes perilously close to figuring out that they're still in active use but never quite gets it. This is still a good impression of what the soundstage looked like when I worked in it. The makeup room at 7:55 was our makeup room and green room for the shoot and I fell asleep on the couch once (I was working as an HHN scareactor that year as well, so I would occasionally be working from 8:00 AM until 2:00 AM when filming coincided with scaring). One of the lead actors brought in his Xbox at least once and played Sniper Elite 2 on it with the flatscreen inside, or used it to play Total Recall. The green room at 8:22 was used as a green room when there were so many extras that it overflowed, and I also fell asleep on that couch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7_CychOtto

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of, did I ever link you guys the video of the kid breaking into Cranium Command and body wars last year to the point where he like climbed into the giant head backdrop for cranium command? Crazy stuff.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TrOPmotqGCY

This kid, he goes to some insane places. He had a good video of the imageworks also (the tunnels gone)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bSnc60nuKDw

Here’s a recent one of nick studios. How’s it compare ?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One more spam because this was the insane one, he broke into disneyquest like a day or two before they demolished it, which makes me think he is like a relative of a executive or something.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zGNc-WxOc48

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Anya posted:

Now, I really only want to go so I can do HP worlds, and you have to do the park to park in order to really experience that.

You are really not missing anything by not riding the Hogwarts express. It's just a train with a video in the windows.

It's a better use of money to just do two separate days, one park each. Also, their line skip thing was a total waste. The regular lines were frequently shorter. Get a milkshake at the chocolate place that clearly failed to get the Willy Wonka IP.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

On the other hand, if you're going during a slower time for Universal you can easily do everything in one day park to park including riding the same stuff multiple times. Downtime at Universal is like what Disney was about 6 years ago.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
If you're fine with single rider, just do that and skip the express pass. Most of their rides have it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Empress Brosephine posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bSnc60nuKDw

Here’s a recent one of nick studios. How’s it compare ?

The soundstage itself is basically the same. The amount of equipment in it varies depending on who was last inside, but nothing about that really changes. The biggest change is that they've painted over all the old Nickelodeon murals and made it just look like generic Universal office space.

Actually I have some pictures I can post of my time working there, including some HHN stuff.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Beachcomber posted:

You are really not missing anything by not riding the Hogwarts express. It's just a train with a video in the windows.

Yes, it is just a train with video windows, but I disagree that you're not missing anything by skipping it. I thought it was really interesting and a nice change from other attractions. I liked Hogwarts Express very much. I also like how it's different in each direction.

Braksgirl fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 1, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Seeing the actual train roll into Kings Cross definitely made my wife tear up. Made the whole trip worth it. It’s not an attraction I’d wait to do, but as a utility to move between the two Harry Potter areas it’s incredible.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Bottom Liner posted:

Seeing the actual train roll into Kings Cross definitely made my wife tear up. Made the whole trip worth it. It’s not an attraction I’d wait to do, but as a utility to move between the two Harry Potter areas it’s incredible.

And seeing it roll out backwards kinda killed it for me. Put me in the "Hogwarts express is overrated junk" department. Like much of the theming in universal, it felt lazy.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

couldcareless posted:

And seeing it roll out backwards kinda killed it for me. Put me in the "Hogwarts express is overrated junk" department. Like much of the theming in universal, it felt lazy.

Agreed. I was largely unimpressed with universal as a whole, the one time I went there. Even the ride itself felt lazy to me. You basically just watched a movie inside the coach. Big whoop.

The queue was fantastic though. Better than the ride, funny enough.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Out of curiosity what do you guys think about the monorail?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Replace it with a hyperloop imho

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The monorail is fine. It's not trying to pretend to be anything else and there's something to be said about zipping along the perimeter of the seven seas lagoon at dusk or at night.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I like the monorail mainly because I like looking at the scenery from above. And it’s fun to ride through EPCOT. I wish they would make another spur and use it to link to HS honestly. I know some have had some serious problems on it, but I always enjoy it.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Just had a great time at Animal Kingdom. Posted wait time for FoP was 80 minutes. It ended up being less than 60.

Ride was fantastic! Na’vi River Journey loving sucked. Glad I had a fastpass to blow through the queue.

Fantastic weather and light crowds. Good stuff.

Flower + Garden tomorrow!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, I'm hitting up Epcot tomorrow as well. Gotta eat fast.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Na vi river journey might rival superstar limo as one of the biggest wastes of money and worst rides ever.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And I’m saying that because in about ten years when all the technology is dated and it looks like grab fiesta tour it won’t have the charm or nostalgia to get by

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I like Na’vi River Journey. :(
Mah hey wah, mah hey wah, mah hey wah.

Edit: to be fair I also enjoyed superstar limo.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Navi river is totally underwhelming. It’s not a bad ride, it just doesn’t match the quality of FoP, while still having a very long wait most days. Ironically, this might mean people like it more in a few years when lines are shorter for it and FoP is no longer the most hyped ride in WDW.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Na vi river journey might rival superstar limo as one of the biggest wastes of money and worst rides ever.

harsh but probably true?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And if the rumors are true, that animatronic they blew their budget on goes into B mode even more than the Yeti did in its first year

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I love river journey and we can't be friends anymore if you don't :colbert:

But really I do think it's a fantastic experience that overwhelms you with visual and aural stimuli. I wish it were longer but for a classic dark ride with modern tech I think it's a huge success. I'm admittedly a whore for spectacle though.

Been thinking more about Pandora the last few times we were in AK and I do think it needs a third attraction of some kind, not necessarily a ride but maybe an interactive show or something to use the world building they did more and make it feel as alive as the rest of AK.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 2, 2018

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Yes yes. There needs to be a third thing. I thought the River ride was enjoyable and relaxing, I think more than 45 min wait isn't worth it for the ride, but it's beautiful and peaceful. I agree that for several billion dollars, there needs to be more in Pandora than just "gee whiz look it all this" and two rides/food places/one store. Every other land has so much that isn't a ride for you to engage in, so it feels empty with just a massive FOP line snaking all around.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Excuse me, but rubbing the giant plant thing while it moans until it cums sprays water everywhere is an attraction in and of itself.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

And if the rumors are true, that animatronic they blew their budget on goes into B mode even more than the Yeti did in its first year

I seem to recall that if the Lincoln animatronic breaks down when standing it just collapses back down into its chair and goes limp like it’s been shot.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
^^^
That is correct. Not so much slumps down though. He just kind of sits the way he's supposed to, awkwardly. He did bust a valve during the original presentation of the animatronic to people from the government of Illinois during the World's Fair, and at the time they used red hydrolic fluid, so he looked like he'd been shot in the chest, and he slumped downward, so they all freaked out and Walt had a conniption.

That's why all hydrolic animations use clear fluid now.

santanotreal posted:

Excuse me, but rubbing the giant plant thing while it moans until it cums sprays water everywhere is an attraction in and of itself.

it also makes it's children do the same, so it's wild time at the ol' sex-tail planet.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 3, 2018

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Luigi Thirty posted:

I seem to recall that if the Lincoln animatronic breaks down when standing it just collapses back down into its chair and goes limp like it’s been shot.

I like the more esoteric animatronic malfunctions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76rQv5DdLao

Or the time John was spotted dabbing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR0FMl87YZ8

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Bottom Liner posted:

I love river journey and we can't be friends anymore if you don't :colbert:

But really I do think it's a fantastic experience that overwhelms you with visual and aural stimuli. I wish it were longer but for a classic dark ride with modern tech I think it's a huge success. I'm admittedly a whore for spectacle though.

Been thinking more about Pandora the last few times we were in AK and I do think it needs a third attraction of some kind, not necessarily a ride but maybe an interactive show or something to use the world building they did more and make it feel as alive as the rest of AK.

when me and my family went to ride the boat ride very late at night we saw the really cool drum show i thought that was a cool use of space and everything looked so pretty at night.

Boat ride is hella pretty too. I like hella pretty things.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Listen not everyone's Mimas can handle crotch-rocketing a banshee and sticking their head into a 3d screen. Boat road is just right for them; it always made me sad when we would split the group up and leave granny on a bench with some people to keep her company cause she can't handle them extreme E ticket rides. We need more omni mover riders dang it, or Tokyo Disney tractless Pooh like rides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

I just want to ask the people saying it shouldn’t change how they would feel if it were a brown person being sold and if they see the problem now.

The entire point of PotC is that it’s a comically over the top family friendly version of what real pirates were but they left in the rapey (fixed earlier) and sex trafficking bit that goes against that entire premise. The fact that real pirates were bad isn’t something anyone is arguing; a realistic portrayal of pirates is and was never the goal of the attraction.

It's not rapey, sex trafficking, or whatever other idiot sjw terms happen because guess what: the women are never shown actually auctioned. For all we know, the auctioneer is the redhead's mate and the girls make off with cash after they're "auctioned", run off in the night and disappear to go get "auctioned" somewhere else. It's the kind of poo poo Disney would write in.

We see an auction. I'm not an "apologist". I love PoC and I loved that scene. I'm sorry to see it go because it was a great scene. And no I don't care about the impact! it could make! on sex trafficking in the real world! because it's a goddamn ride in a theme park.

You wanna talk about all the sjw problematic poo poo in Magic Kingdom? All the parks? Because I'll beat you over the head with it until the only words that come out of your mouth are "I'm sorry". You can't care this much about this dumbass poo poo because if you do you start remembering that Jungle Cruise's literal black (most people would consider them pretty "blackface") natives go UNGABUNGA and make those kinds of noises, or that mad tea party literally makes fun of mental illness, or so on and so forth.

For real if you want a list I can shut you people up about PoC's now tragically dead scene because there is 900000000000 times worse when you start prying this poo poo apart. The best thing you can do is Not Do That and enjoy the fact that the irish kids in small world are clearly celebrating st patrick's day and aren't a terrible stereotype. (hinthint: everything is a stereotype)

nimper posted:

I dunno, the Carousel of Progress is due for a refresh

Carousel of Progress could use a loving upgrade.

Renegret posted:

don't you loving dare

just add a second story if you must

Well. They did. But they got rid of it. Horizons was supposed to be sort of a successor to Carousel of Progress.

Now it's Mission: Space because (insert any one of several reasons, like the fact the building was sinking lmao). Mission Space is meh in my opinion but folks love it so, alright folks. Yall enjoy. I'll be at Soarin.

Funkmaster General posted:

July will be a clusterfuck and boiling hot and I still have to go. I'm gonna be as red as the natives in Peter Pan's Flight.

Needs a year down for hardcore refurb, especially on the tracks themselves as I got showered with a bit of concrete while there covering Flower and Garden opening day at Epcot.

It's a gorgeous, simple C-ticket attraction that should be about 2-3 minutes longer. Not everything has to be E-ticket premium hardcore stuff.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

^^^
That is correct. Not so much slumps down though. He just kind of sits the way he's supposed to, awkwardly. He did bust a valve during the original presentation of the animatronic to people from the government of Illinois during the World's Fair, and at the time they used red hydrolic fluid, so he looked like he'd been shot in the chest, and he slumped downward, so they all freaked out and Walt had a conniption.

That's why all hydrolic animations use clear fluid now.

He had a bit of a Bad Time while we were there but he managed to do it. I'm very proud of him.

Quixotic1 posted:

Listen not everyone's Mimas can handle crotch-rocketing a banshee and sticking their head into a 3d screen. Boat road is just right for them; it always made me sad when we would split the group up and leave granny on a bench with some people to keep her company cause she can't handle them extreme E ticket rides. We need more omni mover riders dang it, or Tokyo Disney tractless Pooh like rides.

90,000 times this. It's great to have some more thrill rides but that seems to be basically All they've decided to put in suddenly. Roller coasters and cheap A-ticket non-roller coasters. I'd really, really like it if they bothered to do a little bit more. Frozen is pretty, 7DMT is pretty, Navi River Journey is pretty, but they do not give the slightest poo poo about making something Haunted Mansion level of cool these days, or the next Jungle Cruise. We're really just smashing out IP stuff at this point with no real original creative push and that's sad, because Disney does one hell of a good job on that kind of thing.