Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I always had a little tradition with these Rites. I would have my anointed score the final goal (and only got away with that because I was playing on Normal difficulty, I think).

I don't have a vote. This was tough enough to decide on my first playthrough. Not doing it again right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Anoint Mae with Jodariel and Rukey on the team. I sent up Jodi first on my game and so did a friend of mine so I missed out on what else she has to say on the wagon

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Annoint Mae. As others have said, she is a child yet, and of all our companions she alone appears to be an innocent. It's...hard to countenance not getting her out first. Her teammates will be Jodariel and Rukey.

Also, yikes, man. The prospect that we'll never see our nominee again if we prevail is not precisely a cheerful one. I suppose it should be given what it means, but I quite like our three candidates. With these three in particular, it feels like their departure would kind of... I dunno, detract from the team's spirit somehow? Maybe it's just me.

vdate fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 28, 2018

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Hedwin, Jodariel, Rukey.

The fact that The Plan has a listed odds of success is... interesting.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Hedwin, Jodariel, Rukey

The original trio together, one last time.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Haven't counted the votes so idk if mine is too late but annoint Mae and have her backed up by Pamitha and Rukey.

Liberation Rites are above and beyond my favorite part of the game. Playing some of them has been the most invested I've gotten into the outcome of a competitive game in a long time and I wasn't even playing against another player. Hedwyn was my first to to be liberated on my initial playthrough so I'd really like to see someone else go home so I can see what happens with him around a little longer.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Mae, accompanied by Hedwyn and Jodariel.

Mae is young and innocent, and I think she deserves to leave this place.

Also for the purely selfish reason that I sent Jodariel back first and never got to get to know her.

Thyself D. Mad
Jan 14, 2015
Hedwin, Jodariel, Rukey

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Anoint Hedwyn. We owe him big time, and, as others pointed out, he's the best candidate to start preparations for the revolution. Besides, it seems from previous conversations that Jodariel would also want him to regain his freedom first.

As for his companions, Jodariel for obvious reasons, and Sir Gilman, because he's Sir Gilman.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Send Jodariel upstairs. Hedwyn's more or less the leader of the trio and would probably be bummed if he was forced to leave his buddies behind instead of helping them go first.

Hedwyn and Rukey can help her out.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Jodariel.

Supporting her: Rukey and Hedwyn.

Incidentally, this was the line-up for my first Liberation rite, and they were all the three first to be propelled to freedom by my old farm-hand Reader. Couldn't risk failing a Rite to send them off, see? Not his kindly saviors. Those came first, before any others, heck, even before the Plan.

Also, I did not pick up trinkets and vendor trash often, so I hadn't seen the Pamitha/Jodariel encounter on your first ascent. It's extra funny for me, because I sent Jodariel first precisely because of the consideration that she'd been here the longest, and surely deserved her freedom first. Haha, oh Pamitha, you harp!

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
Jodariel, Rukey and Hedwyn.

Jodariel has been Downside the longest, she deserves to be free. She's served her time.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
The vote's very close, but none of the three candidates have met the 10 vote threshold yet. I'll call the vote by tonight if we don't get a decision by then!

Sparda219
Nov 21, 2007

Just as some things can be right and useless at the same time, can't something be wrong and priceless?
Anoint Jodariel with Rukey and Hedwyn as her backup. I feel like Mae might not be ready to go because her connection to the Scribes is really strongest here, where they created the Rites to begin with. She also, presumably, has the weakest connection to the Commonwealth in general. Hedwyn might make a good choice because he has a loved one to return to (pity for our Reader) but I feel like he might be too anxious to enjoy it without being with his friends. Jodi is the oldest, wisest and most experienced of the crew excepting perhaps Sandalwood and she deserves to get out when she doubted she ever would. Also as has been said I feel like she'd be the most qualified to participate in a rebellion and set up a good structure for the others to return to and would be the most stable, welcoming presence for them after leaving the Downside.

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.
I sent up Jodariel the first time, so let's go with Mae this time around, with Jodariel and Ti'zo as her backup.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Jodariel has been down here long enough.

Rukey and Hedwyn as back-up.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Shinji117 posted:

Jodariel. Despite Pamitha’s bad manners, she did have something of a point in how Jodariel has been here the longest.

Hedwyn and Rukey can see her off. The last time they can work together, until they meet on the other side, if all goes well.

Do this.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

vdate posted:

Also, yikes, man. The prospect that we'll never see our nominee again if we prevail is not precisely a cheerful one. I suppose it should be given what it means, but I quite like our three candidates. With these three in particular, it feels like their departure would kind of... I dunno, detract from the team's spirit somehow? Maybe it's just me.

Now that I think about it, this concept reminds me of Valkyrie Profile. Training up your party knowing that your goal is to send them away. However this feels like you lose out on pursuing a character's storyline if you send them up. There's much more interaction with your party members here than VP ever really offers.

Like was said at the beginning of this LP, the story keeps going no matter what happens, and that must have taken a hell of a lot of work on the writers' part to get right.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

: Liberation – Gameplay
: Music: Never To Return
: Music: Never To Return (Vs. The Tempers)

Thus ends the Liberation Rite.

And thus, the Scribes have chosen: the exile appointed by the Nightwings shall be free. Absolved of all misdeeds. Returned to glory in the Commonwealth.

Her adversary and all others shall remain…

… to carry out their rightful sentences.

: Guh… what a joke. We shoulda had this.

: <You shoulda had this. Got all rusty, you been waiting so drat long. drat it, drat it…!>

: …After all this time.

: She turns her gaze toward the rest of you.

: I never thought this day would come. I have all of you to thank for this, for doing this for me.

: The life that I recall back in the Commonwealth was at times difficult. And I am much older now. I know not what I shall find on my return.

: However, I know this: If that place still is like the Commonwealth I left so long ago…

: You see her smile faintly as she disappears into the Shimmer-Pool. Though, you still can hear her voice, though faintly now.

“Farewell, then, Reader. All of you. For now.”

Godspeed, Captain Jodariel.

The Eight Scribes are ever merciful. By their grace, the cycle of the Rites may soon commence again.

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 2, 2018

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:tviv:

That was amazing.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
An awesome send-off for Jodi. Her sins burned away with a final sick dunk.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Holy gently caress, that was intense. I got chills down my spine as the vocals started, and they didn't go away until the end of the video.

Godspeed, indeed.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

never to return is the best track in the game :allears:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

never to return is the best track in the game :allears:

It's the best nine tracks in the game!

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
God, the music choice here was intense. What a good send-off for a great character. :unsmith:

I'm wondering how this whole "get everybody liberated" thing is supposed to work. It seems that we're always going to have people behind under the current system, so perhaps the whole point is find a different way other than the Rites in order to bring everybody back?

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Maybe the "plan chance" reaches 100% before we get everyone back, and the upheaval of the Commonwealth frees the rest.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

EagerSleeper posted:

God, the music choice here was intense. What a good send-off for a great character. :unsmith:

I'm wondering how this whole "get everybody liberated" thing is supposed to work. It seems that we're always going to have people behind under the current system, so perhaps the whole point is find a different way other than the Rites in order to bring everybody back?

Really, in terms of actions in the Downside, what Sandalwood is planning is no different from what all the triumvirates have been doing this whole time - just trying to get their folks back to the Commonwealth. So, this could presumably be achieved by just replenishing numbers as they go, and possibly keep inducting new people into the mission until the revolution succeeds. The only thing different before passing into the shimmer-pool to what the Nightwings have always done is that Volfred wants to recruit someone from every race into the cause.

Not that this is necessarily how the game will go. Just how the Plan might play out.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I should have changed my vote to Mae. Jodariel never got the chance to get more sick burns on Pamitha, and vice-versa. Go get 'em, Jodi.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Olive Branch posted:

I should have changed my vote to Mae. Jodariel never got the chance to get more sick burns on Pamitha, and vice-versa. Go get 'em, Jodi.

I'll admit, curiosity about how that antagonism would develop was a big part of why I voted the way I did. A moot point now, I suppose.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Meanwhile back in the Commonwealth, construction begins apace on the Pamitha Is A Ho Municipal Gardens.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

vdate posted:

I'll admit, curiosity about how that antagonism would develop was a big part of why I voted the way I did. A moot point now, I suppose.

Plus the Voice calls her "Captain Jodariel" and I don't remember too many other references to her military career before this. It was a big surprise to me, at least.

Guess I'll just have to replay this game to find out her backstory!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
God drat this company knows how to music. I never really enjoyed the gameplay in their games, but holy crap do they do presentation well

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I was so excited the first time I met Celeste in my original playthrough, not because of the story or the world building or anything (but those are also good) but because she had a lute and that meant we had Ashley Barrett and a motherfuckin' duet.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Celeste (or The Gate Guardian, as the name bar seems to want to call her) has an impressively unimpressed character portrait. Also, more importantly - and possibly related - she seems to be a fixture of the Rites, as does Tariq. Those two seem to have some fixed purpose in whatever magic summons people back to the Commonwealth in a pillar of light - given what we've learned about the Nightwings' position as the designated endbosses, it would explain why one of them is sort of permanently attached to the Nightwings caravan.

The last couple of updates did bring up something interesting, though, in conjunction with things we've learned before. Celeste's comments suggest that Sandalwood played on the previous incarnation of the Nightwings - but we also know from Ignarius' comments that the Nightwings have been flat-out gone for some time, which means that nobody has gotten their crack at getting out. We also know from Hedwyn's comments that he found the wagon, mostly buried, with Tariq passed out in a corner. No occupants for the raiments and masks were in evidence, as I recall - so what happened to the previous Nightwings, and why didn't it happen to Sandalwood along with them?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I was just thinking about this, but it's probably for the best that we did not give Hedwyn the Deserter the important role of our important plan. :sweatdrop:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Don't you dare impugn my good friend Hedwyn, he's a good boy.

Also: The Commonwealth named him the Deserter. Do you think Jodariel would call him that?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

EagerSleeper posted:

I was just thinking about this, but it's probably for the best that we did not give Hedwyn the Deserter the important role of our important plan. :sweatdrop:

OK, fair point, although he's been pretty solid for the duration of our acquaintance, and that includes sticking up for us with Sandalwood. People can change, after all. It might have been his crime, though. Desertion is the sort of thing governments, even the non-corrupt kind - look rather narrowly upon.

Solumin posted:

Also: The Commonwealth named him the Deserter. Do you think Jodariel would call him that?

An interesting question! Given that she was Captain Jodariel, I had kind of assumed that she was his CO, once upon a time - and I feel like she, of all people, would not have been impressed with desertion. Then again, she also ended up down here before him, so... hard to say, really. Given how they interacted, I'd say 'no', on balance, but something about Jodariel's reactions made me think she'd very nearly given up on a lot of what she held on to before she was sent down here.

vdate fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 2, 2018

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I think it's a good bet that, given what we know about the Commonwealth so far, someone who's officially a deserter might not be.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I suppose one question is whether being anointed and returning also protects you from any future crimes. Hedwyn probably won't desert again and Rukey would likey give up whatever he was guilty of, but you can't really make someone un-literate. Do we know what Mae got kicked out for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

YggiDee posted:

I suppose one question is whether being anointed and returning also protects you from any future crimes. Hedwyn probably won't desert again and Rukey would likey give up whatever he was guilty of, but you can't really make someone un-literate. Do we know what Mae got kicked out for?

You only learn of a character's crimes after hanging around them for a bit and unlocking a few unique scenes. We haven't really gotten the full details on anyone yet.

• Locked thread