Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Thinking about starting a new game after catching up with this thread but I either get bored when I reach Emperor or go hog wild on world conquest again. I could go for a random start and try for achievements but are there any fun metagoals I could try having a crack at once I get powerful to keep it interesting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Cheevos are your friends. Paradox is the only company that knows how to do them (i.e. make a silly pun and run with it)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Crow Jane posted:

Is it possible to have vassal empires, or am I stuck with just kingdoms?
If you have horse lords you can tributary them. Which is strangely better than holding the actual territory some of the time. Unless you have something like seniority that's causing your rulers to churn often.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Walton Simons posted:

Thinking about starting a new game after catching up with this thread but I either get bored when I reach Emperor or go hog wild on world conquest again. I could go for a random start and try for achievements but are there any fun metagoals I could try having a crack at once I get powerful to keep it interesting?

Challenge yourself. Zunbil 769 is a bit easier now thanks to China but still tough to get to empire level without ever converting or becoming tributary. Restore the Karlings might be interesting, so might the "destroy every holding in Europe" thing.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Fat Samurai posted:

Cheevos are your friends. Paradox is the only company that knows how to do them (i.e. make a silly pun and run with it)

This. Going for achievements is most of what I've played since Reaper's Due made ironman bearable(i.e. made the autosave not take 5+ minutes.)

Just look over the list, find one that looks like it could be interesting, and go for it, maybe keeping an eye out for ones you can do as secondary, like tying one of the start to end achievements to whatever you're trying to do if it lacks a specific start of it's own.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

ShootaBoy posted:

This. Going for achievements is most of what I've played since Reaper's Due made ironman bearable(i.e. made the autosave not take 5+ minutes.)

Just look over the list, find one that looks like it could be interesting, and go for it, maybe keeping an eye out for ones you can do as secondary, like tying one of the start to end achievements to whatever you're trying to do if it lacks a specific start of it's own.

Seconding this. Also the Sicilian, Robert Guiscard (de’Hauteville in the game I think) makes for a good start.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Quoting myself from about 80 pages ago for some interesting starts with cheevos. Duke of Barca isn’t a cheevo though.

Weavered posted:

The Abbasids in 1066 with the goal of reforming an empire level caliphate while under the Turks and the Danish start in 1066 with the goal of taking over England. Both are doable but not too easy.

Or try to unify India, I've played this game an embarrassing amount of hours but still never done an Indian run. :shrug:

Edit: Can't remember the name of the dynasty but the Duke of Barcelona in the Old Gods start also made for a good game. Lots of opportunities to expand within Francia with the added benefit of close by crusades/ reconquista into Spain.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
There's a difference between loving up, as in something just not going your way, and loving up, as in "because your trade post was occupied by a non-vassal who was also your heir, and he was a legitimised bastard, while under cognatic gavelkind, you become unlanded on death and lose". Sometime you lose a battle but the second one is just madenning.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Or sometimes both. In my last Orthodox play through I had an old incapable Basileus, a useless heir and a strong and quick younger son. Without any :hist101:ing the Basileus dies weeks after his heir leaving my new 20 year old martial 19 Basileus ready to usher in a new golden age of expansion for the empire.

Needless to say in his first goddam battle, against a vastly outnumbered pissant single province state in Georgia he was hit on the head, made incapable and died. I was left with a new infant Basileus who was swiftly deposed in a major rebellion in favour of his great uncle.

Had it not been for ironman I might have reloaded but the resulting coming of age, getting on the usurpers council, forming faction shenanigans and then eventually retaking the throne was brilliant.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Weavered posted:

Or sometimes both. In my last Orthodox play through I had an old incapable Basileus, a useless heir and a strong and quick younger son. Without any :hist101:ing the Basileus dies weeks after his heir leaving my new 20 year old martial 19 Basileus ready to usher in a new golden age of expansion for the empire.

Needless to say in his first goddam battle, against a vastly outnumbered pissant single province state in Georgia he was hit on the head, made incapable and died. I was left with a new infant Basileus who was swiftly deposed in a major rebellion in favour of his great uncle.

Had it not been for ironman I might have reloaded but the resulting coming of age, getting on the usurpers council, forming faction shenanigans and then eventually retaking the throne was brilliant.

Yeah poo poo like that is deeply satisfying. Especially when because of how early you took control that ruler goes on to be absolutely amazing. Like the kind of ruler that smacks the poo poo out of infidels in defense of the faith and aggressively expands the realm and you know the people will prolly remember him as one of the greatest.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
https://kotaku.com/adding-dick-sizes-to-historical-strategy-game-introduce-1823394376

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Crusader Kings II: Dicks Out For Hardrada

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Crusader Kings II: I was jealous of the Pope’s huge dick

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Grand Prize Winner posted:

:vince: :vince:

Just saw that quote. Talk about burying the lede

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Who isn't

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Of course it came from loverslab.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Lol, a huge dick gives +3 intrigue but -2 learning.

I'm almost afraid to ask, did they make this mod with horse characters in mind? :ohdear:

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Torrannor posted:

Lol, a huge dick gives +3 intrigue but -2 learning.

I'm almost afraid to ask, did they make this mod with horse characters in mind? :ohdear:

Wait, +3 intrigue? Are all the best assasins going to be well endowed?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Thanks all, I'll scout out a cheevo run soon. I've never played Ironman so I'll look for a big one as an end goal and probably pick up lots of smaller ones on the way.

Ageofbob
Sep 16, 2011

Pharohman777 posted:

"Hey, Mr.Not-a-Spy! I heard you have a humongous dick, I'll tell you all my secrets if you show me!":downs:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pharohman777 posted:

With a mutton dagger.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Virgin Court Physician versus Chad Assassin.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

So the RNG decided I should be High Chief of Kryvia. Is there any point in getting Horse Lords if I'm not actually a nomad but may encounter them at some point?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pharohman777 posted:

"Think about it Dean, what other weapon does he have?"

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Went without Horse Lords after doing some reading.

So I'm a pretty piddly unreformed pagan tribal, I think I have to expand enough that I hold three holy sites to reform my faith and enable the decision to go feudal but every time my guy dies, the realm is likely to splinter? Well, this is different to 1066 Western Europe.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Walton Simons posted:

So I'm a pretty piddly unreformed pagan tribal, I think I have to expand enough that I hold three holy sites to reform my faith and enable the decision to go feudal but every time my guy dies, the realm is likely to splinter? Well, this is different to 1066 Western Europe.

More than just holding 3 holy sites, you need that religion to have 51+ moral authority, and your personal character needs 750 piety.

Succession isn't always not as bad as it looks. If you're lucky enough to have only one surviving son when you die, he'll inherit everything. You can shack up only with concubines and only legitimize one bastard if need be. Otherwise, you should have a strong claim on all of your brothers' titles after the inheritance mess, so you can generally take back what's yours pretty easily.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

More than just holding 3 holy sites, you need that religion to have 51+ moral authority, and your personal character needs 750 piety.

Succession isn't always not as bad as it looks. If you're lucky enough to have only one surviving son when you die, he'll inherit everything. You can shack up only with concubines and only legitimize one bastard if need be. Otherwise, you should have a strong claim on all of your brothers' titles after the inheritance mess, so you can generally take back what's yours pretty easily.
Concubines give you legitimate heirs. If you want bastards, it has to be unmarried lovers.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Strudel Man posted:

Concubines give you legitimate heirs.

Well poo poo, that's bad advice then. I thought they had some penalty. Just an opinion malus?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Well poo poo, that's bad advice then. I thought they had some penalty. Just an opinion malus?
Yeah, -1 diplomacy for children of concubines. They're basically like already-legitimized bastards.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Sounds good, I just rushed too hard into a conquest and got beat (I've been away so long I forgot to look it who my opponent could call in).

Hmm, I'm in that slightly awkward phase where nobody is weak enough to attack, guess I'll let my levies top out, try to get some event troops or enough gold for mercs and generally wait for someone to weaken so I can pounce. My dude is only 20 so time is on my side, at least.

e: Weyy, I took Minsk! Looked like I was about to get pipped to 100% warscore by a competing realm but won it with the enemy capture.
Oh poo poo, I was just about to siege down the last holding I needed to seize the Temple of Yuriev when the High Priestess of Kiev spawned 2,500 event troops :negative: Time to lay low for a bit. There goes my Subjugation CB, too.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 2, 2018

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I was going along, it's 1052, the Mongols showed up and they're being terrifying in the East, but I'm just laying low on my island, everything's cool. I had a bit of a dead end where I couldn't spend any money, but then I built a new barony which got me like, an extra 2500 troops which is real helpful in raiding (and now I've maxed that one out too so I'm trying to get economy tech to spread to the other province so I can upgrade my barony there but it's taking forever).

Question though, I was raiding Amalfi when I got the notification that I can create a title, which I thought was weird because I hadn't gained any land, when I realised that it was for the Sunni Caliphate, because for shits and giggles like, 150 years ago, I decided to see if I could get a Sayyid in my family line, not expecting the title would go unheld. I'm pretty happy with my small piracy game I have going, will claiming the Caliphate mess with that? What are the other pros and cons? This is only the second time I've played Muslims, the last being my previous attempt at this type of game, and the longest so far.

Realms

Sapmi is being unusually aggressive. Aquitaine used to have Baltic possessions, but then I think there was a Fitna Fracture split, and then the guy who ran the Pomeranian Kingdom of Aquitaine, but then I think he had the land and the money and all that to make the legitimate Kingdom of Pomerania and I think that ended that. Then Pomerania had a revolt the fractured them that takes most of their possessions that they still had in Aquitaine. The Byzantines fractured in a civil war, but they managed to reclaim Trebizond and those Anatolian provinces before it happened.

Religions

Reformed Germanic is almost completely wiped out. Over in Spain the Ummayads got overthrown somehow, then their successors made the empire title, then there was a Shia uprising that took most of Andalusia, then after getting kicked around a bit the Sultana decided "gently caress this Islam thing, I need Jesus" and then decided to go Orthodox? That's what's up with that. I think Asturias is still run by a Jewish Sephardi king, although his father was a Karaite. Mali went Catholic.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

There is no downside to being caliph, and you'll gain tons of piety and prestige for having it in the family.

And an awesome subjugation cb

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

catlord posted:

I was going along, it's 1052, the Mongols showed up and they're being terrifying in the East, but I'm just laying low on my island, everything's cool. I had a bit of a dead end where I couldn't spend any money, but then I built a new barony which got me like, an extra 2500 troops which is real helpful in raiding (and now I've maxed that one out too so I'm trying to get economy tech to spread to the other province so I can upgrade my barony there but it's taking forever).

Question though, I was raiding Amalfi when I got the notification that I can create a title, which I thought was weird because I hadn't gained any land, when I realised that it was for the Sunni Caliphate, because for shits and giggles like, 150 years ago, I decided to see if I could get a Sayyid in my family line, not expecting the title would go unheld. I'm pretty happy with my small piracy game I have going, will claiming the Caliphate mess with that? What are the other pros and cons? This is only the second time I've played Muslims, the last being my previous attempt at this type of game, and the longest so far.

Realms

Sapmi is being unusually aggressive. Aquitaine used to have Baltic possessions, but then I think there was a Fitna Fracture split, and then the guy who ran the Pomeranian Kingdom of Aquitaine, but then I think he had the land and the money and all that to make the legitimate Kingdom of Pomerania and I think that ended that. Then Pomerania had a revolt the fractured them that takes most of their possessions that they still had in Aquitaine. The Byzantines fractured in a civil war, but they managed to reclaim Trebizond and those Anatolian provinces before it happened.

Religions

Reformed Germanic is almost completely wiped out. Over in Spain the Ummayads got overthrown somehow, then their successors made the empire title, then there was a Shia uprising that took most of Andalusia, then after getting kicked around a bit the Sultana decided "gently caress this Islam thing, I need Jesus" and then decided to go Orthodox? That's what's up with that. I think Asturias is still run by a Jewish Sephardi king, although his father was a Karaite. Mali went Catholic.

What's the pink in the Byzantine region?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

binge crotching posted:

There is no downside to being caliph, and you'll gain tons of piety and prestige for having it in the family.

And an awesome subjugation cb

Sweet, thanks!

Charlz Guybon posted:

What's the pink in the Byzantine region?

Byzantine splinter from the Fitna Fracture mod is the bright pink, and an oddly independent (but I don't think for long) Duchy of Anatolia or something is the darker pink/purple in the middle.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER
I just noticed this last night, but confused me at the same time. So I jailed a guy for plotting to kill someone. Don't remember if it was me or not. Instead of revoking, I wanted to Banish him, it was his only title and he had some ducats I wanted. I realized after however many hours of this game that the banish screen tells you you will gain tyranny if you don't have a good reason. Unlike the revoke screen which tells you outright you won't incurr tyranny because you have a reason, he was a traitor. So I go and banish the dude but don't get his fat stacks.

So, what's a good reason for banishment, because I checked my vassals afterwards and didn't gain any tyranny.
And why didn't I get those ducats?

Green Tea Erotica fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 2, 2018

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Green Tea Erotica posted:

So, what's a good reason for banishment, because I checked my vassals afterwards and didn't gain any tyranny.
And why didn't I get those ducats?

I think you only get their stuff if they don't have heirs.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

White Coke posted:

I think you only get their stuff if they don't have heirs.

yeah. if you banish someone, it's the same as killing them in terms of succession, except they're just alive with no money or land somewhere else. banishing someone passes everything to their heir, and if you're not the heir then gg

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I'm still farting around trying to do an Ireland 769 run. Is there anything I'd want in the China DLC?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Weavered posted:

Quoting myself from about 80 pages ago for some interesting starts with cheevos. Duke of Barca isn’t a cheevo though.

Did you ever do an India run? I'm doing my first one now and it's a complete clusterfuck 40 years in

I took over most of the petty kingdom as a count then died and everything split up because of loving gavelkind. Now I'm steamrolling my brothers and chose the "become king" ambition at age 25 and hopefully I can save up money and wait until my liege gets attacked by one of the three surrounding kingdoms that have been sporadically declaring war on him and then take him out so that I can get attacked by the three surrounding kingdoms instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

I'm still farting around trying to do an Ireland 769 run. Is there anything I'd want in the China DLC?

If you don't care about achievements you can make China range infinite. Beyond that, the new CBs are pretty nice for Catholics (and everyone really, but Catholics get nothing fun so it's really a boon for them).

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 2, 2018

• Locked thread