Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

FCKGW posted:

so cal is cool and good and still has affordable areas tyvm

Not where you'd want to live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah even I'm starting to get down about SoCal when "affordable" Riverside single-family homes built in the 50s are approaching 400k

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

This thread is hilarious/depressing.

https://twitter.com/NeverSassyLaura/status/969035981566328832

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Anonymous Zebra posted:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/03/01/california-ranks-last-quality-life-new-report/384853002/

I'll post more in depth when I'm not at work, but in general, as someone that moved here from out of state fairly recently and has lived in several other states ( including New Jersey, LOL), I don't necessarily find myself disagreeing with some of the conclusions made in the report that's being talked about. Despite the very vocal social progressiveness of a lot of people here, it's still seem like it was easier to make a living in some of the red States I've lived in than here.
California Ranks Last in Quality of Life If You are White Male Boomer Who Also Needs to Drive and Park Right Infront of Every Store

shocking news at 11

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Xaris posted:

California Ranks Last in Quality of Life If You are White Male Boomer Who Also Needs to Drive and Park Right Infront of Every Store

shocking news at 11

I'm currently trying to figure out their metrics. Mainly because I spent quite a while in New Jersey and still visit there and don't really understand why that would rank as a low quality of life. Especially since this piece apparently thinks the Dakotas have the highest quality of life! That being said I believe it is kind of knee jerky to immediately go down the path of what I just quoted from you, as I've mentioned several times in this thread I am not having the easiest time adapting to Southern California, and I do not at all fit the stereotype you just wrote up.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Yeah I didn't mean that about you, moreso those types of articles. And don't get me wrong, there's a shitton of very bad things about california (lack of dense affordable housing, rents, prop 13 and using housing as investment vehicles, etc). But most articles I've seen are basically conservatives really pissed about TAXOFORNIA and desperately wanting to believe we're a failing state that everyone is fleeing due to taxes and overrun with rampant illegal immigrants, whereas everything is basically the opposite of that with some of the higher incoming migration, booming economy (esp relative to other states).

just really, everywhere else is much worse barring being born into massive wealth or using housing-investment vehicles from elsewhere and retiring on that, etc

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

re: oakland mayor:

good. give her a medal

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

eminent domain the home of anyone complaining, bulldoze their house and build a soviet style apartment bloc

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Tuxedo Gin posted:

re: oakland mayor:

good. give her a medal

im the assumption that ice would have had a 100% arrest rate if only the mayor hadn’t told people “yeah, that ice raid you’ve been worriedly waiting for? it’s probably tomorrow”

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Especially since this piece apparently thinks the Dakotas have the highest quality of life!
People love the Dakotas because you can get a house on a bigass lot for like $125 sqft and then let your 5 blonde Mormon kids roam around your zero crime neighborhood.

Housing prices in the upper Midwest are crazy cheap because it is a giant flat field covered in snow half the year. Some people really like that though.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 2, 2018

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

eminent domain the home of anyone complaining, bulldoze their house and build a soviet style apartment bloc

Same, but with collective punishment of their neighbors as well to build a 200 story archology.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Why the gently caress would I want to live in a place that snowed a ton and often. I'd rather live somewhere where if I really wanted snow I could drive there, but I don't want to deal with 1) bitter cold or 2) shoveling snow or 3)

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Local government has proven incapable of housing their population, the state must strip zoning rights from them. Garcetti can kiss my loving rear end too.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah even I'm starting to get down about SoCal when "affordable" Riverside single-family homes built in the 50s are approaching 400k

Riverside is nice but yeah if you’re looking at housing in the 200s then you’re looking at Perris or Victorville and you don’t want to do that.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

HelloSailorSign posted:

Why the gently caress would I want to live in a place that snowed a ton and often.
It's an excellent excuse for alcoholism? You can save on electricity by just leaving your frozen foods outside? I dunno those people are all weird.

Snowmobiles are a hilarious way to almost certainly kill yourself though.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The best part about that article is where it says California has the lowest quality of living index because Californians are insufferable.

What a great scientific study. Totally unbiased.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does LA really have the worst air quality though? I remember how bad it was when I was a kid and nowadays it's way better than it was, I mean you can still taste the exhaust on the air when you're downtown but there's no gross yellow cloud hanging over the city.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

bango skank posted:

Does LA really have the worst air quality though? I remember how bad it was when I was a kid and nowadays it's way better than it was, I mean you can still taste the exhaust on the air when you're downtown but there's no gross yellow cloud hanging over the city.

worst for ozone, fifth worst for year round particulates, ninth worst for short term particulates.

with that said, LA has been on a downward trend, but so has everybody else.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 2, 2018

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

HelloSailorSign posted:

Why the gently caress would I want to live in a place that snowed a ton and often. I'd rather live somewhere where if I really wanted snow I could drive there, but I don't want to deal with 1) bitter cold or 2) shoveling snow or 3)

That's LA, you can drive to the snow.

And the beach.

And that's why 1 Bedroom can go for $3200/mo.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bango skank posted:

Depends on where you look, but it falls within the top 5 US cities pretty much everywhere. The lowest ranking I found was number five, and that's only because they rank four other California cities in front of it.

To be fair it's been getting better like Insane Sunrise said, but at the end of the day California has tons of urban sprawled cities situated in the middle of valleys that trap pollutants, and a transportation infrastructure so heavily reliant on cars that it's mocked as "Freeway Culture". It's not surprising we're hitting the top of air pollutant lists even with all the work that's been done to curb/clean up emissions and change gas blends to burn cleaner.

revolther
May 27, 2008
California, that idyllic place where people from literally every part of the world will drop their poo poo to move to because everywhere else sucks and infringes on their rights to simply exist; it's terrible.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Sydin posted:

Insane Sunrise

:saddowns:

mods change my name to Insane Sunrise please

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Sorry, just woke up. :downs::coffee:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

FCKGW posted:

Riverside is nice but yeah if you’re looking at housing in the 200s then you’re looking at Perris or Victorville and you don’t want to do that.

Back in 2006 I knew multiple people buying McMansions in Victorville, we're talking 3.5k square foot homes with pools for 500k. They were all out within 3 years because turns out spending 20 hours a week on the road eats up any time to enjoy hanging out with your family in your big house, and nobody is going to visit.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Back in 2006 I knew multiple people buying McMansions in Victorville, we're talking 3.5k square foot homes with pools for 500k. They were all out within 3 years because turns out spending 20 hours a week on the road eats up any time to enjoy hanging out with your family in your big house, and nobody is going to visit.

Victorville is getting the first Waffle House on the west coast so who's laughing now?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

We already got Norms idgi

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

FCKGW posted:

Victorville is getting the first Waffle House on the west coast so who's laughing now?

People who have actually eaten at a Waffle House?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FCKGW posted:

Is that like Bakersfield or something? :lol:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

No Victorville is about 2 hours south east of Bakersfield.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I loving hate Victorville/Adelanto simply because the stupid loving stoplights and lane additions then reductions on 395 add an extra 20+ minutes to any journey.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

It’s like the San Bernardino County version of Palmdale

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
It's like Barstow but without the character.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Ive lived in Los Angeles my whole life and never been to Victorville, or "Adelanto" if thats even a real place.........

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

You know when you get through the Cajon Pass on your way to Vegas and everything starts smelling like rear end when you're like halfway to Barstow?

That's Victorville.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Jaxyon posted:

It's like Barstow but without the character.

lmfao

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Raskolnikov38 posted:

southern california continues to drag down the state and should be destroyed

I'm from San Diego and I agree assuming you mean everything north of San Onofre.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Smythe posted:

Ive lived in Los Angeles my whole life and never been to Victorville, or "Adelanto" if thats even a real place.........

Adelanto's claim to fame is the Federal prison it hosts, featured in the 1992 documentary narrated by Christopher Lambert, "Fortress".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U6oLx3xy8s

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

bumming your scene posted:

Adelanto's claim to fame is the Federal prison it hosts, featured in the 1992 documentary narrated by Christopher Lambert, "Fortress".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U6oLx3xy8s

Lol cool

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Whole lotta people here goin to bat for a place that boasts a possible Waffle House and, like, an Arby's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

FilthyImp posted:

Whole lotta people here goin to bat for a place that boasts a possible Waffle House and, like, an Arby's.

Don't think a single person has "gone to bat" for Victorville, unless you consider mockingly acknowledging its existence as "going to bat" for it.