Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Morpheus posted:

It came with Twilight Princess. And anyways it wasnt something required, or even important at all, it was a bonus. It's like when games give you something for having save data from another game.

The point was that it is a unique feature tied to an Amiibo, whether that Amiibo was included with another game does not matter. If Wolf Link wasn't the ONLY permanent ally/pet in the entire game, it wouldn't matter. Like Epona is in the good category of bonuses, because other horses exist.

Other games with save data bonuses are usually cosmetic, just some extra items, or a unique kind of pet (get a tiny Commander Shepard, in a game that has pets, if you have a Mass Effect save, for example). They don't usually give you a kind of thing that does not exist without the bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

PubicMice posted:

Indie and early access devs really really really need to learn to ignore their hardcore fans, ESPECIALLY if they complain about the game being too easy. Darkest Dungeon was particularly bad about that, basically every update was centered around making things more challenging for the long-time players and less accessible for new ones.

Are people still mad about corpses.

Like there's definitely a lot of problems with DD (that Radiant mode thankfully ameliorates the bulk of) but there's still people getting frothy about corpses, aren't there.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I thought corpses were fine but I remember the ratcheting up of general difficulty burned me out on the early access. I forget exactly why. Been meaning to go back and tried Radiant mode.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

John Murdoch posted:

Are people still mad about corpses.

Like there's definitely a lot of problems with DD (that Radiant mode thankfully ameliorates the bulk of) but there's still people getting frothy about corpses, aren't there.

Sure are, I don't know how people are still so sore about Darkest Dungeon when all the gripes have been toggles for a long while now and few of them even felt that egregious in the first place, like corpses are a good thing for a lot of positional skills and a chunk of classes even have skills that explicitly come with [Clears the battlefield of corpses] on them.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Nuebot posted:

Feature creep in mods is one hell of a thing though. It's always disappointing when you just want that one mod that gets rid of the skyrim opening sequence. But the next time you install the game it's become some massive, complicated thing with involved quest lines.

I think part of the problem is the modder gets this popular mod that does this small thing and all of a sudden the modder now has an audience for their totally awesome for real ideas. If they made a new mod with all the extra poo poo then there's a high chance it just gets ignored, but if tacked onto their little utility mod...

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

PubicMice posted:

Indie and early access devs really really really need to learn to ignore their hardcore fans, ESPECIALLY if they complain about the game being too easy. Darkest Dungeon was particularly bad about that, basically every update was centered around making things more challenging for the long-time players and less accessible for new ones.
Yeah, there were so many dumb changes made to Subnautica because the community wanted "realism", but only when it made things more tedious. Some of them got walked back, others didn't.

Nerfing the lantern fruit pissed me off so much. It was only useful for refueling after expeditions to begin with (because it took up four spaces in your inventory and rotted within like a minute) and they nerfed it so hard it wasn't even useful for that :argh:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
They should have a mode called "dumb baby" mode for people who just want to have a casual, fun, interesting, engaging time and a mode called "the real way to play" for super-hardcore elitists full of grindy, unfair bullshit. Add in a "git gud" mode that just doubles all the bad guys HPs and armor and disables the HUD for even bigger wankers.

To be honest, I do like that some games have a mode called something like "Tell me a Story". It's easier than easy and for people who could probably just watch the cutscenes on YouTube. Creating that mode means that even people who are really bad at games can support a developer that they like.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Real good video about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NInNVEHj_G4

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

U.T. Raptor posted:

Yeah, there were so many dumb changes made to Subnautica because the community wanted "realism", but only when it made things more tedious. Some of them got walked back, others didn't.

Nerfing the lantern fruit pissed me off so much. It was only useful for refueling after expeditions to begin with (because it took up four spaces in your inventory and rotted within like a minute) and they nerfed it so hard it wasn't even useful for that :argh:

Hunger and thirst in general add nothing but tedium to Subnautica, and every "survival" game. I just started playing it and I tried survival mode for a while, then edited my save file to be in the mode with no hunger and thirst because I was done being annoyed by them. Food and water aren't meaningfully limited enough as resources to be anything but busywork, and I don't even see why people would want them as "realism" because consuming multiple pounds of food and gallons of water per hour isn't particularly realistic. Well, for most people.

It's great that I could just turn that off and all, but it would've been even better if it wasn't in game to begin with. I'm still finding food and water supplies in crates, and unlocking blueprints that serve to produce more food and water for me, and those could've been replaced with stuff that's actually useful and interesting.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
the thread title is like a self-fulfilling prophecy at this point

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
The problem with food and water is that they stop being a challenge very quickly and then become reduced to chores. If you can farm food then food will inevitably become boring. In every survival game they're a binary test of whether you know how to play the early game to not die and then an endless chore after that. I think if a survival game really doubled down on food and water it could be fun. Like the game is literally about getting food and water, not food and water and then a base and dinosaurs or AKs or whatever the gently caress. Actual, the game is you desperately trying to get enough food and water to not die from beginning to end. Maybe if you had to traverse an area without perishing by hunting and foraging as best you could along the way or maybe a roguelike survive to extraction thing. Or if not go the other way and turn food and water into a task you just complete. Like gather X food and Y water for your stockpile or plant Z crops and find a water source and a pot to boil water in to complete the quest.

They just really need to get away from the part where you conquer the mechanic and then keep having to engage with it.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Sounds like Don't Starve, unless that becomes terrible later on.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Don't starve becomes much more about not dying to hounds and various monsters pretty quickly.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Futuresight posted:

They just really need to get away from the part where you conquer the mechanic and then keep having to engage with it.
Or just make the timing actually realistic. Like, if you're adding this feature for "realism" then why do I starve to death in a matter of hours?

Whoops, I skipped lunch, guess I'm dead.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Tiggum posted:

Or just make the timing actually realistic. Like, if you're adding this feature for "realism" then why do I starve to death in a matter of hours?

Whoops, I skipped lunch, guess I'm dead.

That's as good as removing it entirely, though, because most games can be played beginning to end in less time than it takes to starve to death.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Futuresight posted:

The problem with food and water is that they stop being a challenge very quickly and then become reduced to chores. If you can farm food then food will inevitably become boring. In every survival game they're a binary test of whether you know how to play the early game to not die and then an endless chore after that. I think if a survival game really doubled down on food and water it could be fun. Like the game is literally about getting food and water, not food and water and then a base and dinosaurs or AKs or whatever the gently caress. Actual, the game is you desperately trying to get enough food and water to not die from beginning to end. Maybe if you had to traverse an area without perishing by hunting and foraging as best you could along the way or maybe a roguelike survive to extraction thing. Or if not go the other way and turn food and water into a task you just complete. Like gather X food and Y water for your stockpile or plant Z crops and find a water source and a pot to boil water in to complete the quest.

The Long Dark is very much like this. Carrying too much food attracts wolves, so you basically learn to just stuff your craw with whatever's handy and move on rather than packrat it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Aleph Null posted:

To be honest, I do like that some games have a mode called something like "Tell me a Story". It's easier than easy and for people who could probably just watch the cutscenes on YouTube. Creating that mode means that even people who are really bad at games can support a developer that they like.

One of the cheat engine tables for Dark Souls has an option for "infinite iframes" which is more than just invincibility, enemies can't hit you or anything. You're free to wander the world and do whatever you want without any of the worry or stress that comes with the main gameplay. It's actually pretty cool and fun to mess with and I would genuinely love it if every actiony game had a similar style mode where you could just gently caress around infinitely and at your leisure.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Bring back the cheats, game devs.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
They're DLC now.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Create a hunger system with food being handled via microtransactions as a sort of subscription. If you dont feed your character it dies with all progress made.

Cue newspaper headline about a goon who starved to feed his waifu.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Create a game where the character only eats if the player eats healthy food and drink water regularly.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Samuringa posted:

Create a game where the character only eats if the player eats healthy food and drink water regularly.

an endless wasteland of virtual corpses

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Samuringa posted:

But that age of Nintendo pushing lovely gimmick controllers is over now.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Oddly, GTAV pretty much introduced cheats into the game through the movie maker mode (which was added free in a patch.)

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Triarii posted:

That's as good as removing it entirely, though, because most games can be played beginning to end in less time than it takes to starve to death.

I think he means "in game hours". Like I've seen games with a day/night cycle where the bars deplete so quickly that you can go from completely full at dawn to dead from starvation by mid afternoon. That isnt "realism", its not having the game design chops to give the player anything interesting to do and instead foisting off constant busywork as gameplay.

I think of lump hunger/thirst meters in with weapon durability; They are very hard to do in a way which adds fun to the game, they always drop unrealistically fast, some people will defend the mechanic to the hilt regardless of if its done well or poorly, and they often feel like added busywork. Just like there are no swords manufactured anywhere in the world that start falling apart after hitting an unarmored target twice, people dont start starving the instant they stop stuffing their face and a dehydrated person knocking back 3 2-litre bottle of water in one go will probably be sick rather than feeling "wow, I'm back to 100% hydration!".

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I played a bit of that 7 Days to Die game and it’s real annoying to drink some water then watch your thirst bar noticably tick down after like ten seconds.

Even Minecraft’s hunger system is over the top (at least the last time I played.)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Croccers posted:

But that age of Nintendo pushing lovely gimmick controllers is over now.

Nintendo Labo is a thing

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

marshmallow creep posted:

I thought corpses were fine but I remember the ratcheting up of general difficulty burned me out on the early access. I forget exactly why. Been meaning to go back and tried Radiant mode.

For me it mostly was the developers ruthless dedication in the "stop having fun"-strategy. Every time someone came up with an interesting combo or team or synergy, it was immediately nerfed beyond usability just because "the game has to be difficult and nothing should be easier option". For example people used to use Jester's ability to nuke 1 enemy from the team on the 1st round. To combat this strategy, they made the Jester in general completely useless or at least worse than anyone else.

Also, the difficulty scale is broken in a sense that there never is a reason to do long lvl5 dungeons besides getting a few very good trinkets, and you have to basically re-learn everything between the different difficulty levels in dungeons because everything works a bit differently. The set-piece dungeons (non-random) have several unfair-hard -difficulty spikes which are very grindy to get past unless you read tips beforehand, couple of the new miniboss-enemies are loving pain in the rear end, and the game actually lies to the new player to get them to activate the first DLC before they have any resemblance of possibility to survive the first courtyard level so they get widespread magic-AIDS which makes everything even worse in every type of dungeon.

...Thats just some of the things that spring to my mind; and I actually *have* beaten the game a couple of times.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Metal Gear Survive is pretty well balanced in terms of hunger and thirst meters. At first they're a major roadblock, with most food sources being contaminated in some way, but it's mitigated by two things later:

1. When you fill the meters they disappear for a good period of time, and don't deplete. A lot of the food also gives you various buffs so it's doing two things at once.

2. The game is largely based around a hostile environment called the dust, which you use an oxygen tank for, that depletes while inside there (but can be refilled up to nine times in the field, getting progressively shitter each time). However the game pushes you into short excursions and encourages returning to base often, and your hunger meters outlast oxygen.

The Division's survival mode is also neat. Food and drink give buffs, but their neglect isn't fatal in and out of itself.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Warframe tutorialises things so badly it's almost amazing. On the off-chance that it actually explains how to do things it still manages to gently caress it up half the time. Here's a quest that introduces a unique upgrade to your awful anime child, giving them 4 new abilities and a physical body to run around in. You have melee, dash, laser and stealth. Here's how to use them. Great, you did it! Now possess a cool worm (you will never do this again).

Now here's a bossfight where you have to use them. These enemies are invincible. The way you make them vulnerable to damage is by using your melee on them, then dashing through them. Do you ever dash through anything in the overlong segment that introduces you to these abilities? No. You do use your melee to stun a thing, but the followup dash never happens. The dash has the same input as your normal movement jump and I would never have thought to use it offensively before just mashing all my abilities at the invincible rear end in a top hat i needed to kill. You're then told to 'destroy the boss's shield' (you can't afaict) and dash to grab her sceptre. What you actually do is wait for a very small window in her attack animation where her shield drops.

There's a resource you have to get by running a particular kind of mission and finding a thing. You're then told to attack and destroy the thing. The thing is invincible. Do not attack it. What you need to do is wait for it to start sucking up a cloud of this resource (with a very good sound effect attached), find the resource as it comes to the thing, then intercept with your terrible anime body. I just looked it up on the wiki because gently caress if i was going to try to context it out.

There are vaults in a specific kind of map that require a crafted key that I think you need a clan to get access to. You then go to the map, use the right key for the door, get a special kind of mod and go about your business as normal. I didn't know about any of this until someone in clan chat walked me through it. I am pretty sure there is no quest that explains any of it.

See also: argon crystal decay, dojo blueprints, trading in general, buying blueprints from the marketplace, buying weapons from the marketplace, half the bossfights, what half the abilities scale with, health/damage types, status effects.

I have over 200 hours in this awful game.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Vic posted:

Create a hunger system with food being handled via microtransactions as a sort of subscription. If you dont feed your character it dies with all progress made.

Cue newspaper headline about a goon who starved to feed his waifu.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/05/19/second-life-ozimals-pet-rabbits-dying/

"Virtual rabbits across Second Life will fall asleep on Saturday then never wake up, now that the their digital food supply has been shut down by a legal battle. The player-made and player-sold Ozimals brand of digirabbits are virtual pets that players breed and care for in the sandbox MMO, and even need to feed by buying DRM-protected virtual food."

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Kevin Palpatine posted:

the thread title is like a self-fulfilling prophecy at this point

The thread title.csme from a complaint I made about the survival system in subnautica :p

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
This stealth tutorial in The Iconoclasts is frustrating as poo poo. There's minimal instruction and it seems mostly arbitrary as to when the target will just show up and wreck your poo poo. I've been caught just moving from cover to cover, and it is absolutely not fun in the slightest.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ilmucche posted:

The thread title.csme from a complaint I made about the survival system in subnautica :p
I changed the title to that way before Subnautica came out. It was from some other game. The real truth is that food and water systems are often bad.

Edit: August 2016, apparently.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I find hunger/water work fine in Subnautica, not necessarily as a difficult survival mechanic but as part of the flow of the game that has you making excursions out into the water, gathering materials, and returning to home base. At first a chunk of those excursions needs to be dedicated to finding sustenance as well as materials, but as you progress through the game and get the ability to create this sustenance on your own (which, incidentally, was such a high point in the game) it becomes more about the materials, with the sustenance still filling that 'get back to a base every now and then' requirement.

Schubalts posted:

The point was that it is a unique feature tied to an Amiibo, whether that Amiibo was included with another game does not matter. If Wolf Link wasn't the ONLY permanent ally/pet in the entire game, it wouldn't matter. Like Epona is in the good category of bonuses, because other horses exist.

Other games with save data bonuses are usually cosmetic, just some extra items, or a unique kind of pet (get a tiny Commander Shepard, in a game that has pets, if you have a Mass Effect save, for example). They don't usually give you a kind of thing that does not exist without the bonus.

I still disagree in this regard. I mean, sure, it's a permanent ally, but it's not particularly important to any aspect of gameplay, and even when I did it, it was more of a 'huh, neat. Okay, anyway back to the game' feeling. You're missing out on absolutely nothing if you don't get the wolf.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 15:12 on Mar 2, 2018

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Inco posted:

This stealth tutorial in The Iconoclasts is frustrating as poo poo. There's minimal instruction and it seems mostly arbitrary as to when the target will just show up and wreck your poo poo. I've been caught just moving from cover to cover, and it is absolutely not fun in the slightest.

What's worse is that you never use stealth again after that fight.

My two gripes with the game is that the script needs another pass because English is not developer's first-language, and that the tone of the game is so dour compared to how colourful it looks. Everyone you meet is either spiteful, obnoxious, or an arrogant fundamentalist so it's a mercy that most of them die. I've played loads of Deus Ex and Fallout and they have nothing on how depressing this game gets.

Also it's fun to collect all the items in a level but the tweaks you craft from them are seldom useful since you lose their effects if you get hit.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 15:16 on Mar 2, 2018

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Morpheus posted:

I still disagree in this regard. I mean, sure, it's a permanent ally, but it's not particularly important to any aspect of gameplay, and even when I did it, it was more of a 'huh, neat. Okay, anyway back to the game' feeling. You're missing out on absolutely nothing if you don't get the wolf.

They just wanted a dogmeat for their post apocalyptic game. Also when damaged, he will eat ingredients - usually before you can get them/see them.
It pretty much ends up feeling more like a cosmetic item by the end game rather then anything useful.

But at least it was cool to play Twilight Princess again.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Schubalts posted:

Sounds like Don't Starve, unless that becomes terrible later on.

Don't Starve is the best because of it's workshop integration, people who want to spend most of their playtime shuffling items between their tiny inventory and a dozen different types of storage chests and losing hours of progress to a single unlucky megaboss spawn are free to do so but everyone else can just mod it to their liking.

Vic posted:

Bring back the cheats, game devs.

Play on PC and there's almost nothing that can't be cheated to your heart's content with CheatEngine or a trip to the MrAntifun forums.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

scarycave posted:

But at least it was cool to play Twilight Princess again.
No it wasn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

I've been chipping away at the Assassin's Creed Ezio Collection (ps4) every once in a while, having already played the three Ezio games to death but thought I could go for one more run through.
One of the things that became very clear from the beginning was how just how much faster Ubisoft had made climbing buildings in later games, as well as actually having to look for handholds occasionally makes the free run system feel surprisingly slow here. The combat also has a certain 'stiffness' that I didn't remember it having, though I got used to it pretty soon and I've never really been one to hate the old combat system as much as many others did.

The real problems however are with the remastering itself. They removed the colored tint from the screen which I always kind of thought was obnoxious looking in the originals, but boy, aside from that they really did basically nothing. For starters, there's no reason any of these games should be running at 30 fps anymore! Especially with how people still pop in and out of existence at the other side of the drat street - how this was not a big priority in a remaster, I have no idea, since especially with TVs being bigger and better nowadays you tend to notice it WAY more easily, not to mention the higher resolution of the game itself. But the biggest, most obvious problem is with the cutscenes; the exaggerated, hand animated facial movements never looked too good to begin with, but the fact that they have changed the lighting model a bit makes everyone look loving terrifying. Like the whites of their eyes almost look like there's no shading applied at all and the effect ends up looking like something from a horror game, combined with one of the only few improved things being way, way more detailed skin textures, the overall feel is like uncanny valley dialed up to thousand. This effectively ruins all cutscenes. Poor Leonardo, you used to be such a handsome boy :(

Overall I feel kinda bad having paid for it. They're still generally fun games with fantastic music and atmosphere, but paying money to have the worst versions possible does not feel like a smart thing to do in hindsight.