Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

energy by far

it's a really terrifying article

"oops"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

lol yes he was huge on tariffs!

LOL wtf is the “Tariff of Abominations”?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

60% duty on all eldritch horrors and unspeakable unnamables from the plane of S'glhuo

South Carolina almost seceded over it because that's where they got all their politicians

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 2, 2018

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

readingatwork posted:

that was a duty on biracial children

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

readingatwork posted:

a plot by the perfidious yankee mill owner to destroy our noble southern way of life

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

a tariff introduced by senator foghorn leghorn (D-SC)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

The "Tariff of Abominations" was a protective tariff passed by the Congress of the United States on May 19, 1828, designed to protect industry in the northern United States. Enacted during the presidency of John Quincy Adams, it was labeled the Tariff of Abominations by its southern detractors because of the effects it had on the antebellum Southern economy. It set a 38% tax on 92% of all imported goods.

Industries in the northern United States were being driven out of business by low-priced imported goods; the major goal of the tariff was to protect these industries by taxing those goods. The South, however, was harmed directly by having to pay higher prices on goods the region did not produce, and indirectly because reducing the exportation of British goods to the U.S. made it difficult for the British to pay for the cotton they imported from the South.[1] The reaction in the South, particularly in South Carolina, would lead to the Nullification Crisis.[2] The tariff marked the high point of U.S. tariffs in terms of average percent of value taxed,[3] though not resulting revenue as percent of GDP.[4]

good job folks

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

good job folks

it owns that the united states created the imf and the world bank to specifically prevent other countries from sheltering their own fledgling industrial sector in the same manner

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

good job folks

yeah it was good

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

can someone repost that zombie economy tweet from this morning before TRUMP washed over us like a tsunami wave? I don't see it in the last few pages

going to lol bigly if the impending trade war implodes Australia

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Shear Modulus posted:

a tariff introduced by senator foghorn leghorn (D-SC)

i say i say these plantation owners are as sharp as a bowling ball

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

SKULL.GIF posted:

can someone repost that zombie economy tweet from this morning before TRUMP washed over us like a tsunami wave? I don't see it in the last few pages

going to lol bigly if the impending trade war implodes Australia

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-01/australias-zombie-economy-sleepwalking-into-danger-gfc-china/9492868

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Uber/status/969250510615269376

:getin:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

in other Uber news

https://twitter.com/guardianus/status/969394792244416512?s=21

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

ArmZ posted:

it owns that the united states created the imf and the world bank to specifically prevent other countries from sheltering their own fledgling industrial sector in the same manner

has there ever been a country that developed that wasn't 1) a city-state tax haven 2) insulated itself with protective tariffs and other protectonist measures

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

KaptainKrunk posted:

has there ever been a country that developed that wasn't 1) a city-state tax haven 2) insulated itself with protective tariffs and other protectonist measures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U06jlgpMtQs

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i think tariffs are good, though i think it'd be better if trump slowly phased them in rather than ramping them up immediately

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJz18c6gw8c

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

tbh this made it much easier to sympathize with the mildly irate guy

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Tariffs are good as hell

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/969525362580484098?s=19

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/969572374977839106?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.somethingawful.com%2F

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
time to start f5ing the djia

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i hope trump follows through on every single bit of this and destroys the economy. would go over real well in a midterm year.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

three more years of this bullshit if not seven

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rex-Goliath posted:

if?

please. Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Rex-Goliath posted:

oh you sweet summer child.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
EU is not pleased

https://twitter.com/ReutersUS/status/969612807149948930

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
anyone want to join my project on a fully automated foundary that is ecologically above epa standards and most importantly employees as close to zero people as feasible

big market for us steel soon and cant risk having to pay people to make a profit

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

M_Gargantua posted:

anyone want to join my project on a fully automated foundary that is ecologically above epa standards and most importantly employees as close to zero people as feasible

big market for us steel soon and cant risk having to pay people to make a profit

Yes I'll invest some insanity/brainpower in this murderbot robot army of yours, as long as I can customize a death squad with silly hats and make them perform obscene gestures.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Teal posted:

tbh this made it much easier to sympathize with the mildly irate guy

Pro hustle would be to just drive around the hospital saying "you need to know where you're going" running the meter for a week straight and make the easiest rideshare money on earth.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

big market for us steel soon

lmfao

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

financially racist posted:

i hope trump follows through on every single bit of this and destroys the economy. would go over real well in a midterm year.

schumer would find a way for the democrats to take the fall for it and you drat well know this

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Let's do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSsfjHCFosw

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Willie Tomg posted:

Pro hustle would be to just drive around the hospital saying "you need to know where you're going" running the meter for a week straight and make the easiest rideshare money on earth.

I have zero experience with the platform but I'm afraid it will shut the meter off as soon as Uber decides you've arrived at your destination, which is why the dude was so livid; I presume at that point he wasn't getting paid for driving around.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Teal posted:

I have zero experience with the platform but I'm afraid it will shut the meter off as soon as Uber decides you've arrived at your destination, which is why the dude was so livid; I presume at that point he wasn't getting paid for driving around.

Nah the driver has to press a button to end the trip. So somebody being a doofus like that kinda fucks you if you're trying to take on a lot of volume of short trips getting as many of those base fees as possible as quickly as possible (which is pretty much the only way to break even driving for rideshare apps), but if some harebrained space cadet keeps trying to lawyer where the exact entrance of whatever part of the hospital is then you just drive around to run up the odometer, keep the ride going to run up the timer, and rear end in a top hat Tax her instead of going ballistic. Then contest the inevitable 1-star with the recording you've made of her without her consent to get that overturned, because of course you have a dashcam AND an interior cam + mic.

And now you're gonna be like "wow, that seems like a shitload of work for a horrible-paying job" and to that I'd direct you to the retail and culinary threads on this very dead gay forum because that's how and why folk put up with it in exchange for choosing the exact placement of the 60 hours a week they're working.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

gently caress yeah bitch

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

im a proud donald j trrump supporter now

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
basically that dude is very very clearly moonlighting from some other main gig, because someone with more than zero service industry experience would've known immediately how to gently caress with someone who couldn't get more specific than "hospital"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
How To Drive Lyft "Successfully" is a pretty solid nexus between this thread and the cyberpunk dystopia one