Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Halberds are the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I wonder what degree of non-civilization Tsukasa is dedicated to. Like real stone-age poo poo? Or is he fine with early metal tools?

I guess Tsukasa could look for meteoric steel and cold-forge stuff or look for obsidian.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tsukasa will be riding a giant robot he just happened to find into battle

"it's fine so long as we didn't make it"

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
rn theres not that much tension as senkuu kicks the poo poo out of people who are ideologically committed to getting their asses kicked

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Tsukasa just does not want Guns and bombs around, cause those things could actually threaten him.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

projectile weapons won't work against tsukasa because he is literally superhuman

Counterargument.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

don't compare tsukasa to a mere super saiyan. he's like, a really strong high school student. that's the absolute maximum power imaginable.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

don't compare tsukasa to a mere super saiyan. he's like, a really strong high school student. that's the absolute maximum power imaginable.

I'm pretty sure even really strong high school students can be defeated by high school teachers, assuming the teachers graduated from a crappy enough college. It was extensively covered in a 1998 documentary series on Holy Forest Academy.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm pretty sure even really strong high school students can be defeated by high school teachers, assuming the teachers graduated from a crappy enough college. It was extensively covered in a 1998 documentary series on Holy Forest Academy.

Are the kids high as gently caress on Fighting Spirit? This is an important factor.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Fabricated posted:

I wonder what degree of non-civilization Tsukasa is dedicated to. Like real stone-age poo poo? Or is he fine with early metal tools?

I guess Tsukasa could look for meteoric steel and cold-forge stuff or look for obsidian.

Tsukassa strikes me as one of those limp-wrist sorts who tweets all that good poo poo but when it comes time to throw down they’ll happily betray their ideals and grab the biggest gun available at time of poke.

With the added problem of him being built like a loving truck.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Fabricated posted:

I wonder what degree of non-civilization Tsukasa is dedicated to.

Tsukaka isn't anti-civilization. He's anti-modern adults.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dragonatrix posted:

Tsukaka isn't anti-civilization. He's anti-modern adults.

He is implied anti-technology, though.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Tsukasa doesn't have an ideology. An adult was mean to him while his sister was getting surgery and now he's operating on a nebulous idea of "adults are bad, and so is everything made by adults".

Given Senku and the manga as a whole I wouldn't be surprised if the conflict is eventually settled diplomatically when Tsukasa''s forces are brought down by disease because they don't even have the amenities of a stone age village, and Senku just offers them medicine while the narrative draws some ties over Tsukasa being motivated entirely by his sister having been sick at some point.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I imagine Senkuu skipping bow and arrows, a very high skill weapon to use, to crossbows and matchlocks, which are much easier to use.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Didn't Senkuu already make a crossbow?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Mraagvpeine posted:

Didn't Senkuu already make a crossbow?

Yea, when the arrow got snagged out of the air is when Senkuu thought "we gotta get to guns, now!"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

amigolupus posted:

Uhhh, about that... With New52, DC rolled the role of Flash to Barry Allen so hard that Wally West stopped existing for years. To the point that the Flash on the TV show and the JL movie is pretty much Wally West but they called him Barry Allen because Barry is one of the most boring characters ever. :sigh:

This is the exact same issue with green lantern as well. Hal Jordan is ~The~ Green Lantern but he's a boring sack of poo poo no one likes. So pretty much every time they do a reboot they just paste his name over someone else and call it a day until someone remembers he's supposed to be Hal Jordan and becomes boring again. And it sucks.

Ytlaya posted:

I mean, realistically speaking I'm pretty sure spears would be the best option, with some sort of shorter blade as a secondary weapon maybe. It's especially strange since I imagine you'd need considerably different training to use a sword like a katana compared with the spears I think most of the village's fighters (minus main girl I forget the name of) used beforehand.

But they're not as cool.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
spears would be better to kill them but they want to send those guys fleeing, terrified at the overwhelming might of the science kingdom.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

My understanding is that when used in big groups Spears are the most effective, but in smaller groups and individual fights they're outclassed by smaller, handier weapons. If the entire village were to be spear armed and holding off enemies at the bridge it'd be fairly decisive. But once an enemy gets past the spearhead (Knocks it aside, blocks with a makeshift shield, etc) and gets in close range of the spearman, the spear loses a ton of effectiveness. This is where a sword would shine, as it's much easier to swing about and react to attacks than the huge spear shaft. Swords have less of a problem with that.

But I'm no military scholar so I my understanding could easily be faulty.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

In fire emblem swords lose to spears, so they really should be investing in axes.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I can't imagine everyone against Senkuu can grab crossbow bolts out of the air, considering that is more or less a super human ability. Although who knows, the manga over the past arc really shifted away from silly unbelievable to SCIENCE with the village arc.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Rigged Death Trap posted:

He is implied anti-technology, though.

I thought it was just that he doesn't want Senkuu to invent weapons that can actually kill him before he's created his Logan's Run society

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I always figured he's not anti-technology, he just hastily tacked that on his lovely ideas because he saw Senku as the biggest threat for his wicked-adults-free society.

I mean, he's already using Senku's elixir, something made with science, just to revive folks for his army.

projectile weapons won't work against tsukasa because he is literally superhuman

Looks like they need a little help from a goddess then. :getin:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh yeah, forget all about the lake of infinite deadliness.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think senku's hardcore enough to kill all of tsukasa's posse with poison gas. tsukasa alone, maybe.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

amigolupus posted:

I always figured he's not anti-technology, he just hastily tacked that on his lovely ideas because he saw Senku as the biggest threat for his wicked-adults-free society.

I mean, he's already using Senku's elixir, something made with science, just to revive folks for his army.

I'd love if Tsukasa slowly started using more and more of Senku's technology to try to keep up with the war, then slowly had the realization that he was being a hypocritical shithead that was as bad as the adults he hated.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Hopeford posted:

I'd love if Tsukasa slowly started using more and more of Senku's technology to try to keep up with the war, then slowly had the realization that he was being a hypocritical shithead that was as bad as the adults he hated.

he might steal the products of senku's scientific development, but by reviving only angry buff teens it is very unlikely that he can produce any of it himself. even senku needed a skilled craftsman to actually make a lot of that stuff.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fabricated posted:

Given that he wants to be very select in reviving people (and murdering the rest) I figure he's similarly picky with technology. Obviously nothing that can threaten him, like guns, would be allowed, or any tech he thinks would lead to remaking the old world.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The Strongest Blades in the World :japan:

Gen's such a fantastic poo poo

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Chapter link. Bringing out the strongest face game :smug:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

"So this is the power of glasses!" It's a bit low-key but I love Kinrou's moment of amazement there. :3:

Also Gen's faces in this chapter are very strong. :allears:

Something I appreciate in Dr. Stone is that there's no stupid honorable fights you see in shonen. As long as it can make them win, then cheating like hell is on the table.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

amigolupus posted:

"So this is the power of glasses!" It's a bit low-key but I love Kinrou's moment of amazement there. :3:

Also Gen's faces in this chapter are very strong. :allears:

Something I appreciate in Dr. Stone is that there's no stupid honorable fights you see in shonen. As long as it can make them win, then cheating like hell is on the table.

I mean are lies, cheating and tricks really so rare in shonen? Even this is basically honorable cheating that was achieved through teamwork and trust.

Inagaki definitely revels in it more than most shonen authors though, and might be the best at just making it super fun.. And i'd still say Gen and Senkuu aren't at Hiruma's level yet. So there's still more in his playbook regarding extremely shonen cheating.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Gen pretending to betray them to give a hint at how to win was great.

Magma being Magma and immediately ignoring it was even better.
:allears:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Science ftw.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

It just never stops getting better and better. Also Gen's betrayal face was amazing :allears:

Boichi's faces are just the best

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I kind of hope Magma stays with the Kingdom of Science even though he was introduced as a shitehead

I can definitely see a situation where Tsukasa "might makes right" attitude wins him over and he strikes a deal to hand over Senku so he can be chief of the Village

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean are lies, cheating and tricks really so rare in shonen? Even this is basically honorable cheating that was achieved through teamwork and trust.

Inagaki definitely revels in it more than most shonen authors though, and might be the best at just making it super fun.. And i'd still say Gen and Senkuu aren't at Hiruma's level yet. So there's still more in his playbook regarding extremely shonen cheating.

Literally every fight after part 1 in Jojo is cheating and trickery

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Taiju will return and punch the poo poo out of someone even though he was the backup protagonist plan

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I hope when Tsukasa loses he's a good sport about it and joins the kingdom of science with his apeperson army. Then the next several chapters are Senkuu plowing through the tech tree with all the additional labor and likely unearthed old world expertise.

I bet Senkuu could hit Taisho-era Japan in a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fabricated posted:

I hope when Tsukasa loses he's a good sport about it and joins the kingdom of science with his apeperson army. Then the next several chapters are Senkuu plowing through the tech tree with all the additional labor and likely unearthed old world expertise.

I bet Senkuu could hit Taisho-era Japan in a few years.

I think the problem is that you need a significant number of trained engineers/scientists to accomplish a lot of modern society things (and I'm including stuff like 18th/19th century as "modern"). Like Senkuu himself has said, he can't figure out everything instantly himself (and would likely have great difficulty designing an automobile or something), and a new generation of engineers/scientists would need to be trained to spend time on the multitude of subjects Senkuu doesn't have time for. So basically you'd need at least 10+ years for a bunch of people to get an adequate education for tacking various things (including resource acquisition, like mining, which requires its own technology).