Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
if you hit restart turn the game timer actually goes back to the start of the turn. TIME TRAVELING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Pigbuster posted:

Much, MUCH faster. The timer's going up all the time, including while waiting for UI animations (not when paused, though!). It was really fun, since it's an excuse to rush everything like a loon and the boulder mech is so dang good I was able to flawless the islands at the same time.

Turn the game speed slider to max, turn on the timer UI, set difficulty to easy, sit on the spawners like there's no tomorrow and take easy missions.

Resetting a turn also resets the time your original turn took.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

lol I've lost so many timelines already :negative:

it's no use, I was born a shitter

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I love that boulder gun, so good and versatile.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I was able to kill 5 slimes on the first turn, lordy I wish I'd recorded that because who knows if that'll happen again.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
wat

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I really need to get some kind of gif capture program because I am taking some epic turns while flawlessly completing these maps. The Hazard Mechs aren't great, but they are a good challenge.

e: This is on Normal. I'm not suicidal enough for Hard yet.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 2, 2018

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

This game rules and I love shoving kaiju into the path of other kaiju.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Beautiful

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Flawless completion of that island as well. I'm debating going Into the Breach after two islands. I think I'm ready especially considering the damage plus healing I can do.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Note: I just got a gift copy of FTL in my Steam inbox, so the promotion isn't just limited to Humble/GOG.

Finished my Smoky Boys run, with upgrades geared towards All of the Smoke. Archimedes is a ridiculous pilot in general, and shoutouts to whoever mentioned the synergy with the 'Shield Self' upgrade upthread. I'm still on the fence about my decision to keep the teleporter in the second slot instead of splurging on a off-class weapon.

The first phase of the final battle went smoothly, but things were a little dicey in the second phse, since I miscalculated at the end of the first turn, leading to 6 enemies and 9 potential grid damage on the board at the start of the second.

Vargs posted:

I find Normal difficulty to be the most fun, but I feel heavily incentivized to just play on Easy to unlock new mechs. Especially since the achievements usually require you to do kinda dumb poo poo that will likely get you killed on Normal. Not really a huge fan of the fact that a long, hard-fought, successful run with a new squad gets absolutely nothing and I instead should have just spent my time breezing through Easy doing gimmick stuff.

I think the incentive is there on paper, but I don't think it's as serious an issue for unlocking the basic squads. You only need the easiest 30 achievements for that, and I think that while some of them might be difficult to impossible on Normal/Hard (depending on skill level, obviously), it's certainly not 25 of them. This isn't super-scientific, but the 30th most common achievement on Steam is currently 'win games with each of 2/3/4 island completions'.

It's generally a much more fair system than FTL at initial release, where you have to wait for RNG to even get the systems where the events are possible to unlock most of the ships. Unless you have a wiki open you might not know that you need specific upgrades or dialogue choices, too. Even though Advanced Edition is less bs than that, it still only provides a linear path of ship unlocks, as opposed to choosing unlocks in whatever desired order.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 2, 2018

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The only achievement I can see me using Easy mode for is the lightning war achievement. But I may take a second look at that, it's only the first two islands, so may not be too bad.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I finally beat this on Easy :)

I have a question about the Steel Judoka: Vice Fist power: I have 2 enemies, one on either side of my dude. When I press 1 or click on 'vice fist' it says 'no targets available'. If I instead move to a worse position where there's an open space behind me then I can select and throw the enemy (not onto each other though). Maybe I can't use this power because if I threw one onto the other, neither would die? and then there would be no space for them to go or something? This loving sucks, I'm bad at this team!

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Yeah there's no mechanism to deal with two units being on the same tile so it doesn't let you. Pretty big bummer imo, it should push the bottom one back.

e: but then how would it deal with there being no space for it to go. I guess it's out of simplicity that you just can't do it

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

dyzzy posted:

Yeah there's no mechanism to deal with two units being on the same tile so it doesn't let you. Pretty big bummer imo, it should push the bottom one back.

e: but then how would it deal with there being no space for it to go. I guess it's out of simplicity that you just can't do it

It could also handle the case as a "squeeze" death. If there is no space around an enemy, and you throw another enemy on top of him, then it just kills the enemy. Simple. Maybe doing 1 dmg to the surrounding tiles if necessary.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
That could be a little too easy to set up but would for sure be very satisfying to do.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
judo mech is a little on the weak side. sure, being able to chuck giant bugs into holes is great, but that's pretty situational compared to most other primes.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Just picked this up even though FTL was way too hard for me, this game's difficulty is a lot easier to get into. Managed to win a two island victory (on easy) on my first game so that feels pretty nice. I guess I should bump it up to normal but I don't want to get stressed out.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

judo mech is a little on the weak side. sure, being able to chuck giant bugs into holes is great, but that's pretty situational compared to most other primes.

Judo Mech really requires either Henry Kwan (Pass through enemy) or Prospero (Flight) to really shine I think. Being able to push and pull things two tiles is actually a super good ability.
It's also I think the only repositioning ability that actually deals damage on the destination square leading to shenanigans with Forests and Ice.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Dunno about the hazardous guys but the flamethrowers are one of my favorite squads.

Prime: Flamethrower Mech: Pushes an enemy back and sets them (and the tile they were on) on fire. Does two direct damage if the enemy is on fire. Can be upgraded to have extra range twice, at which point the player controls if the fire hits one, two or three tiles. Only the last tile will be pushed though.

Ranged: Fire Artillery: Sets a tile on fire and pushes the four adjacent tiles. Can be upgraded to have a fire backblast or the much needed upgrade to also do two direct damage. Until you get the 3 point upgrade this is more of a pusher, on the plus side though cities don't care if they're on fire so feel free to drop your napalm bombs on buildings until you get the damage upgrade. Also carries a passive that makes your entire team immune to fire.

Science: Teleport Bot: Swaps place with a unit. Teleporter starts with 1 range, can be upgraded to have 4. Honestly probably your deadliest bot right out of the start for how easy it is to swap Vek into water tiles, Vek attacks or map hazards. I suggest mixing with the pilot who pushes adjacent tiles when he repairs.

The playstyle is a lot like the Rusty Buckets: push enemies around and damage them with the environmental effect you cause. Wheras the Rusty Buckets are about cancelling enemy attacks and have a bit more direct damage, the Fire Behemoths have very little direct damage. However what they lack in direct damage the Behemoths more than make up for in pushing and shoving. Also unlike the Rusty Buckets the fire damage sticks with the enemy, meaning it's one damage a turn, every turn, from that point on.

I wasn't such a fan of them.

They're great at direct damage and movement, but they're a bit of a pain for secondary objectives since they're prone to friendly fire on NPCs and they can't blow things up easily on their own. Fun, but with some serious weaknesses before upgrades.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm just getting owned repeatedly on Easy, but that's okay because I feel like I'm learning each time! Sorry, millions of civilians.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

chiasaur11 posted:

I wasn't such a fan of them.

They're great at direct damage and movement, but they're a bit of a pain for secondary objectives since they're prone to friendly fire on NPCs and they can't blow things up easily on their own. Fun, but with some serious weaknesses before upgrades.

Ahaha you want friendly fire problems, play Blitzkrieg :kheldragar:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Chard posted:

I'm just getting owned repeatedly on Easy, but that's okay because I feel like I'm learning each time! Sorry, millions of civilians.

I was too then I got the smoke guys and beat it, just around 3 hours on easy. I also got a free copy of FTL which was cool

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I'm enjoying a flame behemoths run (my first) and so I'll probably get wrecked on the third island.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ciaphas posted:

Ahaha you want friendly fire problems, play Blitzkrieg :kheldragar:

Yeah, after about three different maps I've given up on ever doing train maps with Blitzkrieg.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

How are you supposed to get lots of reactor cores? I know they can come out of pods and you can buy them from islands, but at the rate they're doled out it seems like getting even one mech fully powered would be impossible given the size of the power bar.

e: not saying it should be normal to have all mechs at max power

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Chard posted:

How are you supposed to get lots of reactor cores? I know they can come out of pods and you can buy them from islands, but at the rate they're doled out it seems like getting even one mech fully powered would be impossible given the size of the power bar.

e: not saying it should be normal to have all mechs at max power

You can also get them by protecting Cybernetics Labs or factories or whatever they're called. They'll have a little core symbol on the mission selection screen, next to the stars and lightning bolts.

In other news, Team Frost Gets poo poo Done. Easily the best normal win I've had yet, and probably the most fun too. A++ would chill again.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Smoke Bros. are so much fun. I love this game.

This has so much expansion potential. Give me more bots.

Give me water oriented bots.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com
Holy poo poo I just bought this game how did 2 hours go by. Only complaint so far is not being to see what each of the different squads do before you unlock. I just purchased the Smoke team by mistake because I clicked on their silhouettes, hoping it would give me a preview option before purchasing. Oh well.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Das_Ubermike posted:

Holy poo poo I just bought this game how did 2 hours go by. Only complaint so far is not being to see what each of the different squads do before you unlock. I just purchased the Smoke team by mistake because I clicked on their silhouettes, hoping it would give me a preview option before purchasing. Oh well.

Not a mistake, they're one of the most fun squads. Enjoy!

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I like how the game only points out the billions of people on the planet if you win a campaign.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

GoldenPrice posted:

i have unlocked every mech team but still missing a couple of pilots, are they just completely randomized or are there specific ways to get some of them?

Some of them might be in hiding.

Maybe they conceal themselves in some sort of destructible terrain that neither you nor the Vek routinely target.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

The only achievement I can see me using Easy mode for is the lightning war achievement. But I may take a second look at that, it's only the first two islands, so may not be too bad.

it's probably possible on normal if only barely, i think it might be literally impossible on hard because each bug move takes time

i did it on easy with like six minutes to spare so, uh, normal's going to be pretty rough even if you're a significantly better player

StrixNebulosa posted:

Turn the game speed slider to max, turn on the timer UI, set difficulty to easy, sit on the spawners like there's no tomorrow and take easy missions.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Turn the game speed slider to max,

StrixNebulosa posted:

game speed slider

what

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 2, 2018

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

That's a very cute detail, and I like it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/MOOMANiBE/status/969479742553403392

https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/969474924162068481

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have a grip of pilots on my current timeline (two perfects and one from a pod), once I've unlocked them they will be available from the time traveler menu from now on, even if I trade them in for rep, right?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have a grip of pilots on my current timeline (two perfects and one from a pod), once I've unlocked them they will be available from the time traveler menu from now on, even if I trade them in for rep, right?

when you get a new unique pilot it says they are unlocked in the hangar, yes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dumb question that's probably already been asked...

How do you get the FTL pilots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

chiasaur11 posted:

Dumb question that's probably already been asked...

How do you get the FTL pilots?

destroy mountains, though someone said they had luck looking under ice. By being very anti-mountain/pro plains I managed to find both the Rock and Mantis. You'll see a little glowy dot when you get lucky. Step on it and next turn you'll hear the FTL jump noise as a unique pod slams into earth for you to pick up