Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Blind Rasputin posted:

A fully tricked out chieftan is basically a perfect USS and mission runner. I’ve yet to fight thargoid scouts in it because I don’t know how to find them and I’m scared but for rapidly gathering mats it’s basically perfect.

Is that Deciat? I'm in that system right now :)

I have to say I'm really enjoying the new patch. Not only pretty planets are extremely important for space game but listening to news really helps mah immersion, I just wish there was more pieces on history and lore and such. I demand hours upon hours of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Holy poo poo. This new patch means that pretty much any materials you find are actually useful, since you can trade the useless ones for the ones you actually want. (Although at a ridiculous ratio, like 30 sulphur for 1 arsenic)

Here's a question - which gives you a better jump range for the FSD on an Anaconda:

10% more max fuel per jump
4% greater optimised mass
-10% mass

Here's another question:

How do you use the pinned blueprints from engineers? I thought you could pin them and then carry them out from wherever you are in the galaxy. So like, go to the engineer in your Asp Explorer, pin the blueprint you want, go back home and implement the pinned blueprint on your Anaconda. Did I misunderstand, or have I just not gone to the right bit of the UI?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Hot drat, the new planets in VR are amazing. Driving over the ledge, realizing how gently caress off huge the drop is and than driving down, the thrill was almost like doing something extreme irl.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Gort posted:

Here's a question - which gives you a better jump range for the FSD on an Anaconda:

10% more max fuel per jump
4% greater optimised mass
-10% mass
Someone already did the math: Tl;dr - mass manager is best for larger FSD classes; deep charge is best for smaller ones. The break-even point is a class 5 FSD; in that case choose mass manager because it will be more fuel efficient.
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/403010-Mass-Manager-vs-Deep-Charge

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I know we have some newer people itt and now that picking and choosing materials isn't important there's a neat trick for efficient mass collection - bind your collector limpets and don't target any materials before firing them off. They'll automatically gather everything in range until their timer runs out. This isn't explained anywhere in game iirc.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Eh, except they will grab commodities too and now every pirate is after you.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Yeah I’ve never done it before but I’ve been scooping so many mats I might just start putting collector limpits on all my ships.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Collectors are one of those things ships should just have by standard, along with A-class fully engineered FSDs and docking computers.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Mike the TV posted:

Not unless you backed them up. This comes about every patch, sadly. After you perfect your bindings this time, make sure you save the keybind file (google for the location). I have mine backed up on my Google Drive.

I think you have to redo it from scratch, unless you're just changing the experimental effect.

Okay, figured this out, here is the procedure:
  • 1) Go to .../users/[username]/AppData/Local/Frontier Developments/Elite Dangerous/Options/Bindings/
  • 2) Find the most recent bind file from prior to the patch (the one I wanted was from June 2017, named Custom.2.0.binds)
  • 3) Copy and rename the new file to something else (I used my cmdr name, so for this example we will use "bob.binds")
  • 4) Edit the new file in notepad, look for a line where it says: PresetName="Custom" near the top
  • 5) Change the "Custom" to what you renamed the file, so for our example it becomes PresetName="Bob"
  • 6) You can now go in game, and from the drop down list of presets, choose Bob and your old bindings will be back!

I am told this survives patches, so glhf! :woop:

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

gender illusionist posted:

you playing on mac?

Nah I'm on PC. I bought my sexy little chieftain so it's all good.

clone on the phone fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 1, 2018

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Is there a list of mat traders somewhere? Or even locations for one of each?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a5H9ToDvXb5yg_rPLUVgDiq9cy_mYx8ppkuEKe23kZ8/edit#gid=0

Bumbler
Dec 17, 2005

https://inara.cz/galaxy-nearest/25/1261/

Plug your system into the search box and it will list all the closest material traders

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
As someone who had stockpiled ~90 each of pharmaceutical isolators and exquisite focus crystals: I'M RICH, BITCH! *honk honk* :bandwagon:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Still got one more roll, had to get another DWE, but 60ly DBX is totally possible because I haven't even stripped mine down yet! :monocle:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

timn posted:

Note though that while pledged to a power you'll be harassed by NPCs from other powers if/when you run into them. It's not a tremendous problem, but can be annoying when you just want to be left alone.

This was changed some updates ago; NPCs from other powers will only interdict and engage you if you're carrying Power Play commodities or have active Power Play kill merits you haven't yet turned in. If you're just minding your own business and not actively participating in Power Play they should leave you alone.

Of course players of opposing Powers are a different thing and some people will happily target you for pledging to a different power.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Still got one more roll, had to get another DWE, but 60ly DBX is totally possible because I haven't even stripped mine down yet! :monocle:

I wish you luck in proving me wrong (and I'd be pleasently surprised if I am!)

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Anyone do one of the new mothership cargo hatch breaking things yet? Sorry if I’m asking s second time, I don’t even know where to start and what the end result is.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

iospace posted:

I wish you luck in proving me wrong (and I'd be pleasently surprised if I am!)

:toot:

Great success: Here are the stats from finishing the FSD. Most of the legacy rolls were as close to max as possible, but you can squeeze more out by going with a 3D shield (and ideally getting a low-mass roll for it...does that still exist? secondary effects?), strip the utilities and beam laser, downgrade the thrusters and PD, and go with a 2G srv bay: that'd get it over 63ly!

EDIT--PS: for this one, Deep Charge > Mass Manager by 0.02ly laden, and 0.08ly max.

Toxic Fart Syndrome fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 2, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh, sorry, I wasn't entirely clear then.

I was talking 60 light year range with a full load of fuel. My bad.

e: here's my current setup: https://eddp.co/u/xghHbZ3C

iospace fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 2, 2018

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

iospace posted:

Oh, sorry, I wasn't entirely clear then.

I was talking 60 light year range with a full load of fuel. My bad.

e: here's my current setup: https://eddp.co/u/xghHbZ3C

Ah...yeah...even theory-crafting I can't get it past 59.23 with an srv and no shields. :smith:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
You guys having connection issues? I keep getting a message saying it can't connect to the Frontier servers every few minutes, then I'm able to reconnect. But it keeps kicking me out of the game. Making it drat near unplayable.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
edit: doublepost, somehow.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Remember that if you have Deep Charge and you're not jumping as far as you can, it's doing literally nothing for you. Mass Manager always has an effect.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
As a general purpose mission ship, I really wish this Chieftain had one more slot. Even just another class 2. Hell, even a class 1. As is, I'm always going to have to be sacrificing something that I rely on in a general purpose, bumming around mission ship. I really don't love the idea of constant re-outfitting and juggling around modules, depending on my current task.

The Chieftain's total range is pretty poo poo, so I'd love to use a scoop or fuel tank. But that basically means either no collector (which I'd say is mandatory, with all this new stuff to Hoover up), or no SRV. So far I've been going scoopless/tankless, and making frequent refueling stops. In the future, however, I think I might end up spending most of my time without the SRV, just picking one up for the occasional long mat-gathering session. But still, in a jack-of-all-trades mission ship, I'd prefer to have all of those things permanently at my disposal.

At least it can fight real good. :hellyeah:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Dabir posted:

Remember that if you have Deep Charge and you're not jumping as far as you can, it's doing literally nothing for you. Mass Manager always has an effect.

If the laden is still father with DC, what is MM doing that always helps? Saving fuel isn't really a concern with a scoop, and in the bubble there is usually a station nearby.

In any event, max-range is preferable for endurance exploration imo. :shrug:

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Is now the time to return to Elite after pretty much skipping 2.4 entirely?

Sure hope so, seems like there's a fair bit of content to clear

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sadr is a big star:

Not as big as VY Canis Majoris but still

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Soooooooooo...this is my new project now that engineering is fun and not dumb!

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

The ship name on the side of the chieftain needs to be much larger I mean come on.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Phi230 posted:

I'll pay 60 bucks for playable ships. I mean real ships like destroyers, frigates, freighters and the like

Good morning, friend, can I talk to you about Star Citizen?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I didn't know that decals are affected by condition of the paint... I guess it was a frog once?

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 2, 2018

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
I'm almost regretting my trip to the Galactic centre, it's a long way and getting a bit dull. What are the good things to see along the way?

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

An Enhanced Low Power 3D Shield weighs like 3 tons less and has the same shield strength. I'm at 64.86ly max with 4D thrusters 3D distributor and max lightweight D class life support and sensors. Don't think there's a way to get 60ly fully fueled up. SAD!

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Oh god i'm in love with the Chieftain; Only got tier 3 dirty drives and its essentially a Vulture with even more guns and nearly as tanky as a FAS.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

gender illusionist posted:

I'm almost regretting my trip to the Galactic centre, it's a long way and getting a bit dull. What are the good things to see along the way?

Any decent stellar forge or death zone can provide some interesting sights.

Forges tend to have a lot of B binaries, and mixed among those, a fair amount where one (or more) have collapsed into a black hole. The binaries themselves are fun because you can often not be sure quite how deep-fried you'll get on the warp in (especially if it's a B+BH binary). You may also come across a whole bunch of the more interesting proto stars, like Herbigs and/or other types of young stars like Wolf-Rayet N. Just remember to fuel up before jumping in…

Death zones will have massive fields of neutron stars, and if you can find a binary system with those, you're pretty much bound to also find the most odd-ball terraformable planets you'll come across. A good death zone also has a decent chance of containing some of the rarer stars, like C- and S-stars.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Cancelbot posted:

Oh god i'm in love with the Chieftain; Only got tier 3 dirty drives and its essentially a Vulture with even more guns and nearly as tanky as a FAS.

I am interested, tell me more

I love the vulture but since NPCs started having engineered stuff, TTK with a beam + multicannon became boringly long, and anything with more weapons was either too expensive or too fat and slow

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

got to 160/500 for the mining engineer last night on the road to unlocking all the engineers and am ready to give up on it and do something else but i want engineered plasma accelerators

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Cowcaster posted:

got to 160/500 for the mining engineer last night on the road to unlocking all the engineers and am ready to give up on it and do something else but i want engineered plasma accelerators

Don't give up goonbro I had the same dread even before the halfway point but you'll get there and then you'll never have to do it again(until you need to get bromellite or you didn't find the 10 tonnes of painite for selene jean lmaoooo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i've got the 10 tons of painite as part and parcel of the mining but i'm terrified that i'll accidentally sell it and have to do more mining

• Locked thread