Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

That's... not my name.

It truly is you, papa!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JoelJoel posted:

That's... not my name.

It truly is you, papa!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Cloverfield, 10 Cloverfield Lane, and The Cloverfield Paradox are a franchise

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Facetious posted:

Barbe a papa (a Quebec French language cartoon in the eighties) means cotton candy.
It wasn't spelled literally though, at least not in the version I know

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Cloverfield, 10 Cloverfield Lane, and The Cloverfield Paradox are a franchise

Did you think there were just three completely unrelated movies with Cloverfield in the name just because?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

packetmantis posted:

Did you think there were just three completely unrelated movies with Cloverfield in the name just because?

lol

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

packetmantis posted:

That isn't exactly wrong though

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's just one of those meaningless buzzwords that people put in the title of movies once it gets popular, like "Ninja" or "Kung fu", "Madea", etc

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

packetmantis posted:

Well yeah, they had literally nothing in common and "Cloverfield" sounds like a generic proper name for a street or whatever that's just ungeneric enough to not sound cliche. 10 Main Street would be a poo poo movie name.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Well yeah, they had literally nothing in common and "Cloverfield" sounds like a generic proper name for a street or whatever that's just ungeneric enough to not sound cliche. 10 Main Street would be a poo poo movie name.

The 23 MLK Blvd Paradox

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's an anthology sci-fi series Cloverfield is like a Twilight Zone or Outer Limits. Course then we got Paradox and it's a direct prequel to the original movie so :shrug:

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

The Bloop posted:

It wasn't spelled literally though, at least not in the version I know

TIL Barbapapa and Moomins are different things. drat this poo poo is fifty years old at least.

Lately I've been irritating myself with thoughts like "when I was a teenager it was cool to listen to classic rock from the 60s" which is analogous to kids today listening to grunge. But if you take the 60s from now, that's about 50 or 60 years and so me getting out the Floyd or whatever is like granddad pulling out some sweet Edison cylinders of swing tunes and slapping them on the gramophone. Thankfully I'm childless so I don't have to endure the eye rolling from my grandkids when I YouTube up some Buffalo Springfield...

Or maybe "retro" is not exactly linear.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Well yeah, they had literally nothing in common and "Cloverfield" sounds like a generic proper name for a street or whatever
It's a street in Santa Monica near Abrams' office.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Tad Naff posted:

Or maybe "retro" is not exactly linear.

Retro is exponential.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Len posted:

It's an anthology sci-fi series Cloverfield is like a Twilight Zone or Outer Limits. Course then we got Paradox and it's a direct prequel to the original movie so :shrug:

It is? Cuz the original movie did not take place in a near future with an energy crisis and I'm pretty sure Russia and Germany were not about to go for Ostfront round 3? Cuz it was just 2008 NYC?

I dig Twilight Zone and Black Mirror but the cloverfields don't even hit on similar themes!!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It is? Cuz the original movie did not take place in a near future with an energy crisis and I'm pretty sure Russia and Germany were not about to go for Ostfront round 3? Cuz it was just 2008 NYC?

I dig Twilight Zone and Black Mirror but the cloverfields don't even hit on similar themes!!

Paradox has a guy saying "turning this thing on will set monsters loose and bad things will happen" and it ends with the Cloverfield monster showing up because they turned the thing on and bad things are now happening

Edit: and I want to say Netflix played a trailer that said something like "see how it happened" referring to the original but I'm at phone posting so I can't double check that.

Len has a new favorite as of 01:59 on Feb 14, 2018

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

And before somebody brings it up, the guy in the movie even says that it could cause problems in the past, so the fact that none of the events of the Cloverfield Paradox prior to the catastrophe happening are taking place in the original film isn't technically a plot hole.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

rydiafan posted:

And before somebody brings it up, the guy in the movie even says that it could cause problems in the past, so the fact that none of the events of the Cloverfield Paradox prior to the catastrophe happening are taking place in the original film isn't technically a plot hole.

The word “Paradox” in the title of a sci-fi flick pretty much tells me it will involve some kind of time shenanigans.

Haven’t seen it yet.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Proteus Jones posted:

The word “Paradox” in the title of a sci-fi flick pretty much tells me it will involve some kind of time shenanigans.
I thought it indicated a medical theme.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
So it turns out that Cloverfield Paradox is literally a pre-existing standalone script and they added the monster so it could join the franchise

Lol

Sorry I didn’t recognize the monster from the forgettable 10-year-old movie or realize that Creepy John Goodman was... somehow involved

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 21:36 on Feb 14, 2018

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tad Naff posted:

TIL Barbapapa and Moomins are different things.

If there isn't a Moomin Papa meets Barbapapa, there should be.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

So it turns out that Cloverfield Paradox is literally a pre-existing standalone script and they added the monster so it could join the franchise

Lol

Sorry I didn’t recognize the monster from the forgettable 10-year-old movie or realize that Creepy John Goodman was... somehow involved

All three are totally unrelated scripts, much like the Die Hard movies were (I think the 5th was written to be a Die Hard, but the rest are all random scripts jammed into the franchise -- including the first Die Hard which was originally a sequel to a Frank Sinatra movie).

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Krankenstyle posted:

All three are totally unrelated scripts, much like the Die Hard movies were (I think the 5th was written to be a Die Hard, but the rest are all random scripts jammed into the franchise -- including the first Die Hard which was originally a sequel to a Frank Sinatra movie).

And according to his contract, they had to offer Frank Sinatra the part of McClane first, even though he was in his 70s (I think).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lol

Yeah and the John Goodman one was as well. And the next one set during WW2 where they stumble on Nazi paranormal poo poo was the same. It's literally a way for weird sci-fi movies that would never get made to get made.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Quote is not edit.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Krankenstyle posted:

the first Die Hard which was originally a sequel to a Frank Sinatra movie

It was then going to be Commando 2!

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I was playing some records the other day when I heard this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaj5e2w3ymg
All the time I kept thinking about how I'd heard that little keyboard riff before, but where?

Turns out, it was sampled in a fairily obscure 90's videogame soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7txTeeZTkk

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
My wife showed me that if you stack Tupperware smallest on the bottom to biggest on top it takes up significantly less space.

I’ve always been doing it the opposite because it seemed to make more sense that way (if you don’t think about it).

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

fullroundaction posted:

My wife showed me that if you stack Tupperware smallest on the bottom to biggest on top it takes up significantly less space.

I’ve always been doing it the opposite because it seemed to make more sense that way (if you don’t think about it).

can you draw this please bc idgi

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

ladron posted:

I think he means with the entire stack the other way around (bottoms up?)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

ladron posted:

Flip the tupperware over.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

My mind cannot comprehend this four-dimensional tesseract stacking but it does seem like something that would save space

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

ladron posted:

apply this principle

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
It’s because when you stack a bigger container into a smaller container the bottoms will always touch, but if you put a smaller container into a bigger container you’re always going to add height because the container can only go as low as the lip/rim allows for. It’s not a huge difference if you’re only stacking a few pieces but it adds up fast in the context of limited shelf space

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
How do you fit a bigger container into a smaller one? Are we talking about containers with identical side dimensions but varying heights?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hardcordion posted:

How do you fit a bigger container into a smaller one? Are we talking about containers with identical side dimensions but varying heights?

Yeah my brain broke on that too. Unless we’re talking about 4D container stacking. Then... still broke.

Same-size in everything but height makes way more sense.

E: if they have the same dimensions for the opening, they’d have to slightly taper or they wouldn’t fit within each other.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Oh my god thank you for those last two posts my head was exploding for a while there

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Decent at trolling it terrible at explaining?

We await the answer

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's like when a girl pretends to put her hair in a ponytail but doesn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
"Doff" (as in doffing your cap) is the opposite of "don" (as in donning your armor).