Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

You can read the manufacture information and battery information using coconutBattery for macOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I’ve never owned an android device so I don’t know for myself, but what is it about the notifications that makes them way better than iOS?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Question Mark Mound posted:

I’ve never owned an android device so I don’t know for myself, but what is it about the notifications that makes them way better than iOS?

They are capable of doing way more things. They stack intelligently, allow replying and interacting in helpful ways, and are simply put a decade ahead of iOS in functionality. This is ignoring the fact that they actually work and don't just randomly appear/disappear or have the clear button appear whenever it feels like it. Amongst other bugs.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

As well as the above, fine-grained control on what apps show what information on the lock screen, and 3rd party apps let you do pretty much whatever you can imagine you'd want.
Want to mute all messages unless your wife texts and includes the word labour, then have it blare a klaxon? You can achieve that.

Here's hoping some QOL changes to them come in iOS 12

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

but is there a reason why they’ve never put anything like 3D Touch on their phones.

They’d basically have to fork android and modify everything in the UI to add 3D Touch, and it would inevitably end up half-assed and useless, especially since very few apps would pick up a new feature for one goddamn phone out of hundreds on the market.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

iajanus posted:

a decade ahead of iOS in functionality.

All of Android is.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Hello thread. I'm strongly considering upgrading my S7 Edge to a iPhone X when I move carriers here in a few days. I don't really care about the typical bells and whistles that people get so worked up about like bezels (or lack thereof)- the entire reason I'm considering the upgrade is that I prefer Apple's approach to both personal privacy and to security compared to Google's. On that topic I've been wondering ever since it was announced if there's a way to press some combination of keys to quickly disable the face ID feature on these new phones. I think it looks great for day to day use but given how much of my life lives on my phone the last thing I want is for someone to shove my phone in my face to unlock it without my consent.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Pendent posted:

Hello thread. I'm strongly considering upgrading my S7 Edge to a iPhone X when I move carriers here in a few days. I don't really care about the typical bells and whistles that people get so worked up about like bezels (or lack thereof)- the entire reason I'm considering the upgrade is that I prefer Apple's approach to both personal privacy and to security compared to Google's. On that topic I've been wondering ever since it was announced if there's a way to press some combination of keys to quickly disable the face ID feature on these new phones. I think it looks great for day to day use but given how much of my life lives on my phone the last thing I want is for someone to shove my phone in my face to unlock it without my consent.

https://www.imore.com/how-quickly-disable-face-id-iphone-x

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Perfect, I appreciate it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

carry on then posted:

All of Android is.

They’ve got an extra decade’s worth of security risks too.

But they do handle notifications better though...

And their personal assistant doesn’t suck rear end.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I’d love for Siri to be as good as Google Assistant.

And to have group FaceTime calls.

And for FaceTime to do that Google Allo thing where the recipient can see the caller’s FaceTime video before picking up.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Pendent posted:

Perfect, I appreciate it.

Another one button way is just click the side lock button five times rapidly.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

I’d love for Siri to be as good as Google Assistant.

And to have group FaceTime calls.

And for FaceTime to do that Google Allo thing where the recipient can see the caller’s FaceTime video before picking up.

And as a (hopefully soon to be former) Android user I'd love to have things like the timely release of patches or the ability to trust that for the most part even state actors will struggle to get into my device without my permission.

There's advantages to either platform but when so much of our personal lives is tied to these devices security should be a major concern for anyone.

Bum the Sad posted:

Ok, I remember hearing about this. I guess it's basically some sort of safety mode?

Pendent fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 2, 2018

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Bum the Sad posted:

I just scared my entire office with emergency SOS

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Over There posted:

I just scared my entire office with emergency SOS

In Settings -> Emergency SOS, if you turn Auto Call off, this won't happen. (Though it won't auto call 911 if you think that might be something you want.)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Endless Mike posted:

In Settings -> Emergency SOS, if you turn Auto Call off, this won't happen. (Though it won't auto call 911 if you think that might be something you want.)

"Siri, send an SOS immediately"

"Ok. Here's 'Sending Out an SOS' by The Police"

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
E: nm

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Endless Mike posted:

yeah I found that right after.

Holy poo poo :cripes:

I just turned the sound off and set it so I just hold the sound and power button for like 10 seconds.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
Is there a way to use Apple Music and sync to a local music collection yet?

I have a bunch of rare/unusual things that the iCloud thing totally fucks up, so I can't enable it and use that music, but if I don't, I can't get Apple Music stuff saved on my iPhone.

I banged my head against a wall trying to figure out if this is possible a couple years ago and couldn't find anything and ended up just cancelling my subscription. I would like to try it again but not if I'm going to have this problem again.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I used iTunes for the first time today in like five years or so just because I thought the Apple Music experience would be better on it. Literally the only thing I was looking for was for the love/dislike buttons to be available right there and not hidden away behind a menu.

But nope, you still gotta click on a “...” button to show more options to be able to live/dislike a song, despite the fact that people are running like 1980x1080++ resolution monitors these days.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Pendent posted:

And as a (hopefully soon to be former) Android user I'd love to have things like the timely release of patches or the ability to trust that for the most part even state actors will struggle to get into my device without my permission.
This isn't particularly true anymore, as long as KNOX is enabled on the S7 it's arguably the most secure platform since Apple quietly took away some security features in iOS11.

Neither of which is ever going to be relevant to you though - federal law enforcement is pretty smart on this and will plain-clothes follow your rear end til you're making a phone call then snatch it off you. Rumour is Apple made those changes so LEA can do exactly that; fully clone a phone by just plugging it in after pulling it from a suspects hands.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Phthisis posted:

I have a bunch of rare/unusual things that the iCloud thing totally fucks up, so I can't enable it and use that music, but if I don't, I can't get Apple Music stuff saved on my iPhone.

I banged my head against a wall trying to figure out if this is possible a couple years ago and couldn't find anything and ended up just cancelling my subscription. I would like to try it again but not if I'm going to have this problem again.

Isn't this what iTunes Match is? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204146

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Phthisis posted:

When was the last time you tried to upload to Apple Music? At launch they didn’t have song fingerprinting on but now they do - it shouldn’t get confused by live versions of the same song for example.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

This isn't particularly true anymore, as long as KNOX is enabled on the S7 it's arguably the most secure platform since Apple quietly took away some security features in iOS11.

Neither of which is ever going to be relevant to you though - federal law enforcement is pretty smart on this and will plain-clothes follow your rear end til you're making a phone call then snatch it off you. Rumour is Apple made those changes so LEA can do exactly that; fully clone a phone by just plugging it in after pulling it from a suspects hands.

That article seems pretty hyperbolic to me, frankly. I have zero expectation that any device I own or manage will stand up to a determined party (let alone a state actor) who has both physical access as well as the passkey to access it. When I switch to an iPhone it's going to be the key to accessing all sorts of stuff for me through the use of 2FA app as well as keys for accessing things like password databases so the moment somebody is in my phone I'm already pretty potentially fairly screwed.

This all comes down to threat modeling and I'm not sure that I want to derail the nice thread with that. Suffice to say I find keeping personal information secure these days to be an utter nightmare, and potentially a pointless at that one given the whole Equifax debacle.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

I don't want to subscribe to iTunes Match. I'm a poor grad student and the only reason I'm considering Apple Music is for the student rate.

And I don't actually want to use iCloud Music Library. My data plan can't handle streaming, so I just want to be able to download Apple Music tracks to my phone (while also still having access to the random stuff I have that's not on iTunes).

The issue was the last time I enabled iCloud Music Library, it totally screwed up my local collection. It didn't actually erase anything so it wasn't like it was unrecoverable. Every other album that wasn't a major release would end up with the wrong album art, and it would split up albums, or decide that things were Greatest Hits compilations and add in the "extra tracks", so I'd get it streaming random garbage if I tried to listen to the album. Having incorrect metadata is very irritating on its own, but that last issue actually made things functionally unusable.

I guess maybe I can only enable iCloud Music Library on my laptop and not sync my phone to my desktop computer. That would kind of be a pain, though, since I can't fit my collection on this laptop so I'd have to do things incrementally or do a bunch of janitoring.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Phthisis posted:

I don't want to subscribe to iTunes Match. I'm a poor grad student and the only reason I'm considering Apple Music is for the student rate.

And I don't actually want to use iCloud Music Library. My data plan can't handle streaming, so I just want to be able to download Apple Music tracks to my phone (while also still having access to the random stuff I have that's not on iTunes).

The issue was the last time I enabled iCloud Music Library, it totally screwed up my local collection. It didn't actually erase anything so it wasn't like it was unrecoverable. Every other album that wasn't a major release would end up with the wrong album art, and it would split up albums, or decide that things were Greatest Hits compilations and add in the "extra tracks", so I'd get it streaming random garbage if I tried to listen to the album. Having incorrect metadata is very irritating on its own, but that last issue actually made things functionally unusable.

I guess maybe I can only enable iCloud Music Library on my laptop and not sync my phone to my desktop computer. That would kind of be a pain, though, since I can't fit my collection on this laptop so I'd have to do things incrementally or do a bunch of janitoring.

These words are literally at the top of that web site:

quote:

If you have an Apple Music membership, you get all of the benefits of iTunes Match, plus access to the entire Apple Music catalog. You can also get a Family Membership to share the catalog with your family members. Learn more about joining Apple Music.

As for your other points, it may not be the solution you're looking for, either way.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

vikingstrike posted:

These words are literally at the top of that web site:

As for your other points, it may not be the solution you're looking for, either way.

Oh, I missed that. It didn't use to be the case, because I remember being frustrated by that, and my preliminary googling was only turning up results from before that switch.

It sounds like I still can't get the functionality I want but this may be close enough that I can work out something reasonable. As long as it doesn't mess up live versions, I think at worst I just will lose different mixes and stuff like that? That's something I can live with not having access to on-the-go.

I'll definitely at least try things out and see if I can get something reasonable. Thanks for helping me, a big dumb illiterate idiot.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Phthisis posted:

Oh, I missed that. It didn't use to be the case, because I remember being frustrated by that, and my preliminary googling was only turning up results from before that switch.

It sounds like I still can't get the functionality I want but this may be close enough that I can work out something reasonable. As long as it doesn't mess up live versions, I think at worst I just will lose different mixes and stuff like that? That's something I can live with not having access to on-the-go.

I'll definitely at least try things out and see if I can get something reasonable. Thanks for helping me, a big dumb illiterate idiot.

If they still have the free trial, you could always give it a go and just feed it a subset of your local library to see if it will work for you. Maybe a subset that has tracks you're curious how it would handle them.

I use Spotify, so not sure I can be of more help. There are a lot of AM users in thread though that can probably answer more detailed questions.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
This has been happening recently where I’m listening to my music collection, but the music player would sometimes switch to show “Not Playing” while the music is still playing. What’s up with that?

I’m on the most recent iOS, on my iPhone 6s(yeah yeah I’ll upgrade when I get a job that allows me to have disposable income).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

iTunes Match ($25/year) is much cheaper than Apple Music, even with a student discount ($5/month), so I'm not entirely sure why money is your concern there.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Spotify has a $5 student plan too FWIW. Same with Amazon Music.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

hey guys I don’t own an iPhone or anything but I just wanted to hang out and talk about why Android is better

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Spotify has a $5 student plan too FWIW. Same with Amazon Music.

Spotify doesn't do what I assume he wants at all, though, which is to say stream his own music alongside the streaming library. Amazon does, I believe, as does Google Play Music (though I don't know if they have a student tier). This is a large part of why I stopped using Spotify.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

With Spotify, you can get five “friends” together and finesse the whole poo poo to only pay 2.50 a month. There’s a whole thread for it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3808518&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

e: Look, I didn’t read the other posts. I saw Spotify so I posted. Leave me alone

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

hey guys I don’t own an iPhone or anything but I just wanted to hang out and talk about why Android is better

My favorite part of android is when someone posts a screenshot of their phone and there's like six ads in the notification shade :wtc:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah Spotify student comes with Hulu now I think as well (with ads but I digress)

Sucks there’s still no Apple Watch app but non-student Spotify lets you be cheap and share with a bunch of people. While apple does that, any of their iTunes purchases go to your account.

Also I haven’t hosed around with it at all but pretty sure Spotify lets you easily add your own library? Maybe not on mobile? 🤔🤷🏽‍♀️

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Also I haven’t hosed around with it at all but pretty sure Spotify lets you easily add your own library? Maybe not on mobile? 🤔🤷🏽‍♀️
On free Spotify you can at least import playlists from iTunes, but it just attempts to match the tracks to whatever's available on Spotify. Not sure if premium offers anything more robust.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Welcome.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
If you go the AM route, you still probably want iCloud music on your phone, btw. I don’t think you can access AM tracks on your phone without it. I pretty much only download music to my phone at home, and almost never stream, but I still want offline access to those tracks and playlists when I’m on the go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

iTunes Match ($25/year) is much cheaper than Apple Music, even with a student discount ($5/month), so I'm not entirely sure why money is your concern there.

Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's free :shrug:

Having to pay extra on top of the normal rate isn't something I would be able to just ignore.

And I've looked into other streaming services, and the various differences on top of being pretty deep in the Apple ecosystem means that Apple Music is the only thing I'd consider paying for.

The Modern Leper posted:

If you go the AM route, you still probably want iCloud music on your phone, btw. I don’t think you can access AM tracks on your phone without it. I pretty much only download music to my phone at home, and almost never stream, but I still want offline access to those tracks and playlists when I’m on the go.

Right. I think I can get reasonably close to what I want by enabling iCloud music on my phone and a secondary computer, while keeping it off on the computer containing my full library, and then just use the secondary computer to serve as a go-between to make sure I get access to what I want.