Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/7zx3br/tlj_novel_tidbits_part_1/

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/7zz0ta/tlj_novel_tidbits_part_2/

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/804h5f/tlj_novel_tidbits_part_3_of_4/

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/805b0t/tlj_novel_tidbits_part_4_finale/

Hoo, boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
A lot of that reads like someone was told to smooth things over and make the fans happy. Not too surprising given the time that's passed but some of it feels super obvious.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
It was announced from day 1 that the novelization was going to have stuff that wasn't in the final cut of the film; I'm pretty sure the book was complete before the film hit theaters anyway.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thanks for posting. Seem to match the movie almost perfectly.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
I am going to read the junior novelization because I am both cheap and lazy.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Good stuff from those novelization spoilers. It seems like it benefited from two things: Rian is a stated fan of the novelizations and wanted to provide input and that the release delay let them do some final writing/editing post-release.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah I thought they expanded and strengthened what we always see on the screen.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The novelisations have always added bits and pieces; for example, I believe the first mention of Darth Bane as the founder of the Sith Lords was in the novelisation of TPM, which adapted a scene that was cut from the script.

Conversely, as I recall the ANH novelisation by Alan Dean Foster (?) based on an earlier version of the script than the one Lucas eventually filmed included details like the Emperor being a weak-willed figurehead who was controlled by the military commnders who were the real power in the Empire.

I think there was also something about Darth Vader not actually being directly affiliated with the Empire but was part of another group which co-operated with them, but I might be imagining that completely. :shrug:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I have read that Lucas spent some time lorebuilding and writing a kind of cliffsnotes quasi-EU that ended up on a lot of toy boxes and card backs etc. Although it could have just been stuff from his notes for the movie - I've never seen an actual thing like "here's scans from the notebook where Lucas wrote up backstory". It's the kind of stuff that people have just seemed to know over the years (like Han rescuing Chewie etc.). Some of that stuff probably ended up in the Foster book.

Weirdly they are reviving Mimban in some form for Solo. The planet from the book they wrote as a backup sequel in case they couldn't buy Harrison back.

Bribing Harrison Ford To Come Back For Another Star War is actually a longer running issue in the franchise than bringing balance to the Force lol

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ingmar terdman posted:

I have read that Lucas spent some time lorebuilding and writing a kind of cliffsnotes quasi-EU that ended up on a lot of toy boxes and card backs etc.

Lucas's apparent attachment to midi-chlorians has long been very peculiar to me. I don't really care about midi-chlorians either way (fair enough if people don't like them but it's a silly thing to get hung-up on) but I feel like Lucas does. They'd function fine as a shorthand for Anakin being strong in the Force, but then later on you get that scene in TPM where Qui-Gon went out of his way to stop the plot and explain what they are to Anakin, and I remember thinking last time I watched TPM that it felt like a very, "Pay attention! This will be important later!" scene.

Then there's the story years later that the guy who wrote that official making of Star Wars book was specifically told to mention some notes Lucas had made in 1975 about midi-chlorians to prove they'd always been part of the story. I don't know, it's odd how important he apparently wanted them to be (as I recall, the old EU idea was that Anakin was created by the Force to destroy the Sith when Palpatine and Plagueis tried to manipulate midi-chlorians to create life, but I'm not sure how much of that came from anything Lucas came up with) then I don't think he came back to them in ROTS in as big a way as he might have wanted to at one point or another. :shrug:

quote:

Weirdly they are reviving Mimban in some form for Solo. The planet from the book they wrote as a backup sequel in case they couldn't buy Harrison back.

I think whichever Kasdan son is co-writing the script (it's whichever one didn't direct Jumanji 2) is into the old EU so Mimban is probably his input.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ingmar terdman posted:

I have read that Lucas spent some time lorebuilding and writing a kind of cliffsnotes quasi-EU that ended up on a lot of toy boxes and card backs etc. Although it could have just been stuff from his notes for the movie - I've never seen an actual thing like "here's scans from the notebook where Lucas wrote up backstory". It's the kind of stuff that people have just seemed to know over the years (like Han rescuing Chewie etc.). Some of that stuff probably ended up in the Foster book.

Bribing Harrison Ford To Come Back For Another Star War is actually a longer running issue in the franchise than bringing balance to the Force lol

Yeah, Lucas would come up with lore and backstory for toys and stuff on the fly, as well as weird names like Elan Sleezebaggano.

I remember his original backstory for Han Solo had him being kidnapped as a kid by space gypsies, rescued and raised by Wookies, joins the Imperial Academy, gets thrown out for crashing a ship during a stupid bet, becomes a smuggler and saves Chewbacca from slavers. That's from memory so not necessarily accurate, I couldn't find a good summary of the original Lucas backstory before the EU.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MonsieurChoc posted:

I remember his original backstory for Han Solo had him being kidnapped as a kid by space gypsies, rescued and raised by Wookies, joins the Imperial Academy, gets thrown out for crashing a ship during a stupid bet, becomes a smuggler and saves Chewbacca from slavers. That's from memory so not necessarily accurate, I couldn't find a good summary of the original Lucas backstory before the EU.

He was a Creature from the Black Lagoon at one stage.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, Lucas would come up with lore and backstory for toys and stuff on the fly, as well as weird names like Elan Sleezebaggano.

Was this actually Lucas backstory? It became the "well known" version at one point, just like Anakin becoming Vader in a volcano duel, but they seem like origin-less or EU ideas that can't be tracked back directly to Lucas via any actual source. Up until the prequels with the latter, that is.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

Was this actually Lucas backstory? It became the "well known" version at one point, just like Anakin becoming Vader in a volcano duel, but they seem like origin-less or EU ideas that can't be tracked back directly to Lucas via any actual source. Up until the prequels with the latter, that is.

The Anakin / Obi-Wan volcano duel came from the novelization of Return of the Jedi, as I recall, which was personally approved by Lucas.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

“Darth Insaneus...Darth Icky.”

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I love the Darth Icky story, the devs not realizing they were being hosed with approaches My lunches with Orson-level obliviousness.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Jettisoning the old EU was pretty clearly necessary solely for clearing the previous Solo kids off the board, who are the only part of the old EU who are flatly incompatible with what they're doing right now. Frankly it's probably for the best, because as bad as some of the character positioning in the sequel trilogy has been, Rey and Kylo being the fraternal Solo twins separated at birth would have been a bit much (though with JJ lurking around I suppose it could still rear its head in Ep9)

And Kylo's more of an Anakin Solo riff anyway, even if it was Jacen who fell

Crion fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 2, 2018

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Milky Moor posted:

A lot of that reads like someone was told to smooth things over and make the fans happy. Not too surprising given the time that's passed but some of it feels super obvious.

A lot of it doesn't even work with the story as presented. Characters say things that are completely incompatible with they're place in the story. There's even stuff that contradicts the opening crawl.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

galagazombie posted:

A lot of it doesn't even work with the story as presented. Characters say things that are completely incompatible with they're place in the story. There's even stuff that contradicts the opening crawl.

Such as? Not trying to be a dick, I really want to know some examples of the contradictions you refer to here.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Wheat Loaf posted:

Lucas's apparent attachment to midi-chlorians has long been very peculiar to me. I don't really care about midi-chlorians either way (fair enough if people don't like them but it's a silly thing to get hung-up on) but I feel like Lucas does. They'd function fine as a shorthand for Anakin being strong in the Force, but then later on you get that scene in TPM where Qui-Gon went out of his way to stop the plot and explain what they are to Anakin, and I remember thinking last time I watched TPM that it felt like a very, "Pay attention! This will be important later!" scene.

Then there's the story years later that the guy who wrote that official making of Star Wars book was specifically told to mention some notes Lucas had made in 1975 about midi-chlorians to prove they'd always been part of the story. I don't know, it's odd how important he apparently wanted them to be (as I recall, the old EU idea was that Anakin was created by the Force to destroy the Sith when Palpatine and Plagueis tried to manipulate midi-chlorians to create life, but I'm not sure how much of that came from anything Lucas came up with) then I don't think he came back to them in ROTS in as big a way as he might have wanted to at one point or another. :shrug:

It's also odd to me how TPM establishes that Anakin was Space Jesus, but after that this fact becomes less and less important, to the point that I don't think Luke and Leia ever actually find out that they're 1/4 divine. In the current canon, we know Snoke wanted Kylo Ren for his delicious Skywalker blood and he overtly tells Kylo that Han Solo is the weaker part of him, but it's not clear if Snoke knows about the Skywalker divinity. I don't know if we'll ever hear anyone reference Vader's miracle birth ever again, even though it's really weird that no one cares about that.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ema Nymton posted:

It's also odd to me how TPM establishes that Anakin was Space Jesus, but after that this fact becomes less and less important, to the point that I don't think Luke and Leia ever actually find out that they're 1/4 divine. In the current canon, we know Snoke wanted Kylo Ren for his delicious Skywalker blood and he overtly tells Kylo that Han Solo is the weaker part of him, but it's not clear if Snoke knows about the Skywalker divinity. I don't know if we'll ever hear anyone reference Vader's miracle birth ever again, even though it's really weird that no one cares about that.

I like that. That knowledge was lost forever with the destruction of the Jedi and the fall of the Empire.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ema Nymton posted:

Anakin's father was a space trucker that Shmi was determined to forget.

His high midichlorian count is a random mutation.

The mistaken belief that Anakin could be some kind of messiah causes a lot of suffering and heartbreak.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

MonsieurChoc posted:

I like that. That knowledge was lost forever with the destruction of the Jedi and the fall of the Empire.
Yeah, the Old Jedi were hung up on where Anakin came from, but that was a distraction and what he made of himself turned out to be far more important. Like, I like the idea that Anakin has a divine birth, because it adds to the whole mystical side of SW. But it ultimately doesn't matter if it was midichlorians or Plagueis or a more mundane father, Anakin would still be the same person, and the Jedi missing this fact is a big part of his and their downfall.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!
Well, the thing about a messiah is that you're supposed to trust in his divine guidance or you're hosed. The Jedi don't trust Anakin. Even at the last moment when Anakin tells Mace about Palpatine being a Sith, Mace doesn't trust him and tells him to stay behind, which is the precise moment the Jedi are destroyed. Had he taken Anakin with him, it would have been the end of Palpatine's plan right there. It would have been Anakin and Mace killing the last Sith Lord.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Hodgepodge posted:

Well, the thing about a messiah is that you're supposed to trust in his divine guidance or you're hosed. The Jedi don't trust Anakin. Even at the last moment when Anakin tells Mace about Palpatine being a Sith, Mace doesn't trust him and tells him to stay behind, which is the precise moment the Jedi are destroyed. Had he taken Anakin with him, it would have been the end of Palpatine's plan right there. It would have been Anakin and Mace killing the last Sith Lord.

Sheev wouldn't attack them if Anakin was there. He would go to trial, win, and execute order 66 somewhere down the line.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

sassassin posted:

Sheev wouldn't attack them if Anakin was there. He would go to trial, win, and execute order 66 somewhere down the line.

Yeah, or he would have figured out some other way to force the fight, and Anakin still wouldn't have wanted to kill Sheev, since he was promising to save Padme's life.

Sheev had this one pretty well covered.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, or he would have figured out some other way to force the fight, and Anakin still wouldn't have wanted to kill Sheev, since he was promising to save Padme's life.

Sheev had this one pretty well covered.

He might have figured things out if Anakin was there, but Anakin went to the Jedi with Palpatine's confession, which makes a trial quite straightforward as well. Provoking a fight only works if he isn't provoking a fight with an arrest detail that Anakin is part of. Anakin only falls because he walks in on a situation where Palpatine can twist what Anakin doesn't know as he pleased, and his despair at killing Mace and betraying the Jedi in the heat of the moment is what makes his fall complete- if it wasn't something he believed was utterly unforgivable, he would have just arrested Palpatine himself, in line with his ideals.

What the films show is that Palpatine succeeds because Mace doesn't trust Anakin. Why come up with contrafactual scenarios to contradict what the film shows you quite clearly? That's just making an active effort to ignore the film.

The other point is that the Jedi have lots of chances to trust Anakin. The moment they start is when Palpatine's plan fails. That moment was just their last chance. If Mace had taken it, their trust in Anakin would have been cemented- he would have chosen the Jedi over the Sith and proven himself. Mace even says it quite plainly- he leaves Anakin behind because he needs to see for himself before granting Anakin his trust. He lacked faith- that is the downfall of the Jedi.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 2, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Hodgepodge posted:

He might have figured things out if Anakin was there, but Anakin went to the Jedi with Palpatine's confession, which makes a trial quite straightforward as well.

Um, I think you're forgetting who the Senate is.

quote:

What the films show is that Palpatine succeeds because Mace doesn't trust Anakin. Why come up with contrafactual scenarios to contradict what the film shows you quite clearly? That's just making an active effort to ignore the film.

Yes, that is the way Palpatine achieves his goal, but to pretend Palpatine doesn't have back up plan upon back up plan is just silly.

edit: You edited in this part, so I'll edit in my response.

quote:

The other point is that the Jedi have lots of chances to trust Anakin. The moment they start is when Palpatine's plan fails. That moment was just their last chance. If Mace had taken it, their trust in Anakin would have been cemented- he would have chosen the Jedi over the Sith and proven himself. Mace even says it quite plainly- he leaves Anakin behind because he needs to see for himself before granting Anakin his trust. He lacked faith- that is the downfall of the Jedi.

There is no way to know the bolded part is true. Palpatine was deep inside Anakin's mind at this point, manipulating him at every level. Anakin was so close to completely lost that he could have still turned him during a trial, or in a different way had Mace shown up. Anakin was deeply damaged from the start, as evidenced by everything in Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith up until that point.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 2, 2018

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

thrawn527 posted:

Um, I think you're forgetting who the Senate is.

The guy who runs away from Yoda and immediately starts bragging about Anakin as he cowers.

The guy who would have had to fight Anakin if he were there, and is only saved from Mace by Anakin.

A guy whose plan hinges on presenting the removal of the Jedi to the Senate as a fair accompli.

The Senate is an organization that had been propped up by the Jedi for years by that point.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 2, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Hodgepodge posted:

The guy who runs away from Yoda and immediately starts bragging about Anakin as he cowers.

The guy who would have had to fight Anakin if he were there, and is only saved from Mace by Anakin.

A guy whose plan hinges on presenting the removal of the Jedi to the Senate as a fair accompli.

And a man who defeats Yoda by literally throwing the Senate at him.

And he could have easily defeated Mace at any moment. He was putting on a show for Anakin.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
It's not just the moment that Mace leaves Anakin behind that demonstrates the Jedi's lack of trust, it's just the final instance of it.

They've been literally berating him for having feelings since he was a child, and never wanted to train him in the first place. Maybe if the Jedi were nicer to the poor kid, he wouldn't have jumped into the arms of the creepy old guy who compliments him all the time and boosts his ego.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They should have at least freed his mom and brought her to coruscant.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

thrawn527 posted:

And a man who defeats Yoda by literally throwing the Senate at him.

And he could have easily defeated Mace at any moment. He was putting on a show for Anakin.

Defeating Yoda at that point means getting away. That is only meaningful because he has Vader.

The only reason Mace doesn't kill him is because Mace stops to convince Anakin that he has no choice. The film shows you a fight in which Palpatine loses to Mace, but is saved by Anakin.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

They should have at least freed his mom and brought her to coruscant.

Yeah, that seems like a huge oversight. Fine, Jedi aren't supposed to form attachments, but his mom is already an attachment. And I can't imagine he wasn't constantly thinking about how his mom was still a slave. Freeing her and bringing her to Coruscant would have, if anything, freed his mind up from distractions more, knowing she was safe and care for.

The Jedi really hosed up there.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Hodgepodge posted:

Defeating Yoda at that point means getting away. That is only meaningful because he has Vader.

The only reason Mace doesn't kill him is because Mace stops to convince Anakin that he has no choice. The film shows you a fight in which Palpatine loses to Mace, but is saved by Anakin.

Sheev easily defeats all the other Jedi present in a matter of seconds, then toys with Mace until the moment Anakin is about to walk through the door. Then he cowers in "fear" once Anakin walks in, saying he is defenseless. Then, once Anakin has made his choice and attacked Mace, Sheev unleashes "unlimited power", killing Mace. The only moment he was "losing" to Mace was when Anakin was watching. This is not a coincidence. The fight was theater forcing Anakin's hand.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Mecha Gojira posted:

It's not just the moment that Mace leaves Anakin behind that demonstrates the Jedi's lack of trust, it's just the final instance of it.

They've been literally berating him for having feelings since he was a child, and never wanted to train him in the first place. Maybe if the Jedi were nicer to the poor kid, he wouldn't have jumped into the arms of the creepy old guy who compliments him all the time and boosts his ego.

Yeah, and each moment they fail to trust him brings him closer to Palpatine- but he is still loyal to the Jedi until he has killed Mace and feels there is no going back. Palpatine's hold is tenuous until that point.

The parallel is to his choice between the Emperor and Luke in RotJ. His loyalty to his masters is not an easy thing to break, and doing so is each time a traumatic break from his life until that point.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, that seems like a huge oversight. Fine, Jedi aren't supposed to form attachments, but his mom is already an attachment. And I can't imagine he wasn't constantly thinking about how his mom was still a slave. Freeing her and bringing her to Coruscant would have, if anything, freed his mind up from distractions more, knowing she was safe and care for.

The Jedi really hosed up there.

What happens if his mother gets mugged while out shopping? Are the Jedi supposed to guard her 24/7? What about Anakin's other big attachment (the one that actually leads to him joining Sheev)?

Slavery wasn't the thing Anakin railed against. Death was. And the Jedi could not protect everyone Anakin loved from that. Nothing could (except Sheev, possibly, who knows).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

True

Qui gon should have killed her on the spot.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

thrawn527 posted:

Sheev easily defeats all the other Jedi present in a matter of seconds, then toys with Mace until the moment Anakin is about to walk through the door. Then he cowers in "fear" once Anakin walks in, saying he is defenseless. Then, once Anakin has made his choice and attacked Mace, Sheev unleashes "unlimited power", killing Mace. The only moment he was "losing" to Mace was when Anakin was watching. This is not a coincidence. The fight was theater forcing Anakin's hand.

No, Mace had disarmed Palpatine and had him backed into a corner. Palpatine's own Force Lightning is killing him- Mace isn't taken off guard without a lightsaber like Luke is. The fight is over when Anakin walks in, without him Palpatine is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

euphronius posted:

True

Qui gon should have killed her on the spot.

He should have trusted in the will of the force and taken Shmi instead of Anakin.