Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Code "resupply" takes 20% off anything Knipex on Zoro (Grainger)

Temped by the 3 pack of pliers wrenches for $115

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Do it, the big 12" is awesome.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

ThinkFear posted:

Do it, the big 12" is awesome.

I'm still waiting for the teeny 5" ones to go on sale for under $25. They'd be perfect for lots of stuff.

And if you wait, there's usually a couple of 25% off coupons from Zoro each year.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Sigh. You bastard. I've been waiting for an excuse to buy a few good variations of pliers. Like the duckbills. Mmm, I want a pair.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

sharkytm posted:

I'm still waiting for the teeny 5" ones to go on sale for under $25. They'd be perfect for lots of stuff.

And if you wait, there's usually a couple of 25% off coupons from Zoro each year.

I have the baby pair of pliers wrench and cobra. They do so much stuff is hard to over state their utility.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I carry the 6" cobra and 5" pliers wrench around when I'm in the field at work and they have saved my rear end a ridiculous number of times. 5" cobras are also awesome, but they're a little bit comedy sized. I carried those around a ton until I got the 6" version.

I can disassemble the majority of one of these tracked wheelbarrows with the pair of Knipex. Can do an awful lot with just one too.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 3, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Anyone have any opinions on ultrasonic cleaners? I want to stick some of the hardware I'm pulling off of the C10 front suspension in one to soak and clean. Debating getting the Harbor Freight one, or the equivalent cheap all-metal one from Amazon (a look-alike of the one This Old Tony turned into an ultrasonic thingamabob.)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

IOwnCalculus posted:

Anyone have any opinions on ultrasonic cleaners? I want to stick some of the hardware I'm pulling off of the C10 front suspension in one to soak and clean. Debating getting the Harbor Freight one, or the equivalent cheap all-metal one from Amazon (a look-alike of the one This Old Tony turned into an ultrasonic thingamabob.)

I've had a couple smaller ones. There is a huge difference in operation/performance depending on price, from what I've seen.

The cheapos buzz a lot and clean jewelry okay, but the real, dental-grade ones really work well.

I have a SS110 and it's been great. Here's some others: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_od...asonic&_sacat=0

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've got the good ol Chicago electric one and can confirm it buzzes a lot and as meatpimp says it's decent for cleaning jewelry and small automotive parts. Might have to put in the parts for a few long cycles with the heat function set to on but it does the job and hasn't let me down yet. I've been using and abusing it for the last 3-4 years or so.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seminal Flu posted:

I've had a couple smaller ones. There is a huge difference in operation/performance depending on price, from what I've seen.
This, I've tried cheapo ones myself, and they've been "meh". I'm of the opinion that chemicals, heat, and elbow grease are a higher priority for parts washing in a domestic setting.

We had an open heated vat of trichloroethylene in our quality department for years, now that poo poo could clean parts (and nasal cavities) properly.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

What the gently caress? Why did nobody tell me these were a thing?
Camping is about to get a whole lot more awesome-er.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

yeah, there's video on YouTube that I was watching from some russian guy that was demoing one, I was watching it after some bids of those harbour freight backhoes.

Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slNI9AAtYh4

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 4, 2018

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
hahaha

HAHAHAHAHA

:shepicide:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I've always wanted to get something like that tracked wheelbarrow (or a Bobcat) and build a tiny little replica tank destroyer. With, like, a potato cannon.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

um excuse me posted:

hahaha

HAHAHAHAHA

Well that's one way to avoid losing the 10mm

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

SpannerX posted:

yeah, there's video on YouTube that I was watching from some russian guy that was demoing one, I was watching it after some bids of those harbour freight backhoes.

Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slNI9AAtYh4

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

They're the only reason I have a functioning body left. Do a ton of comparatively remote stuff at work and they let us get in with a really minimal footprint. We've got 3 of those Canycom BFP602's. 3 forward gears and 2 reverse from an actual transaxle at the front, hydraulic dump, good little Subaru motors and 1000lb capacity. They're also like $8000 :v:

They're a shitload of work to keep alive when you have a bunch of semi-untrained people thrashing them for several hundred hours every season in awful conditions, but it's worth it.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Va7QGL51oc

We need one of these in our show yard.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

I was in awe of that. I want one. I have no real use for one, but I want one.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
It's like the AWD version of this:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
For those still looking at the Knipex, KCToolCo has a deal for you!

https://www.kctoolco.com/tool-of-the-day/

5" Knipex Cobra plastic grip, $24.50.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

angryrobots posted:

Well that's one way to avoid losing the 10mm

Since when has anyone needed a 9 or 11 mm?
On impact socket chat, I have just broke my first regular socket - and I've been stomping on regular sockets for 25 years.
It was some stupid piece of crap 17mm socket I ended up with after losing a real socket from my set and just randomly finding this one to replace it. FU danielforge.
Who the hell were you anyway? A quick google suggest sidchrome ties and vintage status - wait, I don't care. Never heard of you before and don't care to now either. E: I guess that's the first size socket I hunt for a proper replacement of a brand that is just 6 sided.

Anyone here even know why 12 point sockets are even a thing/the most popular configuration?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 5, 2018

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
12 pointed nuts/bolts?

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Fo3 posted:

Anyone here even know why 12 point sockets are even a thing/the most popular configuration?

I think it's from before the age of ratcheting handles. With any kind of fixed handle, a 12 point socket is twice as easy to get on the bolt.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

um excuse me posted:

hahaha

HAHAHAHAHA

Sorry I'm being dumb as bricks here but are any of these sockets what they claim to be? Is it just that the 10 is actually 7mm?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, 12pts give you more options for an angle to get at stuff with a static handle.

With the wall/flank drive design of most decent sockets, I don't think it's a major factor in whether a socket slips. I've not encountered many times where a 12pt slipped but a 6pt wouldn't.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, 12pts give you more options for an angle to get at stuff with a static handle.

With the wall/flank drive design of most decent sockets, I don't think it's a major factor in whether a socket slips. I've not encountered many times where a 12pt slipped but a 6pt wouldn't.

10mm! :argh:
It's the only vintage sidchrome socket that has failed me by rounding just enough with it's 12pt bullshit.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I’m a big fan of spline drive sockets/wrenches, they fit almost everything and grip like hell. I’ve yet to round anything off with them that wasn’t already a rusty mess.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah, my first set was vintage 12pt sidchrome, my second set is spline drive minimax after I used "metrinch" spline drive when they first came out 20+ years ago - their gimmick was spline drive can fit both imp and metric due to being spline drive.
But because my sichrome regular set in is it's own case it's my first tool. The minimax spline drive sockets are in a large tool box with a massive heavy ratchet so they are mainly my backup.

E: Minimax were aussie importers that sourced every tool either from Germany or Japan so they were good axis kit.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 5, 2018

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

cakesmith handyman posted:

Sorry I'm being dumb as bricks here but are any of these sockets what they claim to be? Is it just that the 10 is actually 7mm?

I have two 7mm sockets and zero 10mm sockets in my set.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Yesterday I grabbed the first Phillips head driver I saw to take apart a single gang switch box mounted outside for my radon exhaust fan. The bottom screw of the switch was rusted a bit in place and the top screw was tough to turn. Instead of cheesing them out I grabbed the Wera lasertip and easily removed both.

Today I ordered a 6 piece set even though it means I’ll have two #1s and #2s. I need that laser tip in my flathead life too, and now I can leave one inside for random things.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The laser tip flatheads are almost good enough to make flatheads not suck.

Almost.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I still haven't figured out why flatheads are allowed on anything. Torx, Robertson, and Phillips are a thing now.

Up here in the rust belt 6 point sockets are very much a thing. I've had to use them many many times. 12 point only comes out when I need it or know the bolt won't fight me.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Unfortunately working on your house still sticks you with the choices made in the last 5 decades. Pulled the swing door from the garage and it had flathead screws on the hinge, haven’t seen those in ages, and I struggled getting them off. Electrical trim is all flatheads, then some of the old switches and outlets had them exclusively. I’m hoping these will be good for some painted over screws that I’ll inevitably come across.

One illuminating comment I heard about guns, you can tell if an amateur has worked on your gun because the screws will be a little damaged. Gunsmiths tend to use the right sized screwdrivers.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Heh. The rear end in a top hat that "fixed-up" the house that I bought must have been a Canadian. There were so many Roberts screws I needed to buy a bit. And 7 years later I still run across them.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Colostomy Bag posted:

Heh. The rear end in a top hat that "fixed-up" the house that I bought must have been a Canadian. There were so many Roberts screws I needed to buy a bit. And 7 years later I still run across them.
gently caress me, the PO of my house built a halfass workbench/shelf and some other crap in the garage and the whole drat thing was held together with Robertsons. I kept them all because they're still usable, but it just confused the hell out of me at the time.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

gently caress me, the PO of my house built a halfass workbench/shelf and some other crap in the garage and the whole drat thing was held together with Robertsons. I kept them all because they're still usable, but it just confused the hell out of me at the time.

Seriously, it is hosed up. When I started out I was like "what the hell are these square screws?" And then eventually figured it out. And 7 or 8 years later still run into them scattered around the house. Holding outlets in, a vanity cabinet, etc. At this point we just laugh.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Were the screws in consistent little recesses? He might have used a Kreg pockethole jig; they come standard with Robinson drive wood screws.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Were the screws in consistent little recesses? He might have used a Kreg pockethole jig; they come standard with Robinson drive wood screws.

Nope. Just a bunch of black Robertson drive deck screws 2.5-3" long holding a bunch of lumber together. At least I got a couple good lengths of 2x12 out of it.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I fix boats, and most bronze marine fasteners have what superficially looks like a Phillips head, but it’s actually Frearson. Phillips don’t fit well at all, gotta have the special bit. On the plus side, they don’t cam out as easily, and since the bronze is usually half-gone after 20 years you spin the whole head off instead of stripping it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks kinda like JIS. Regular phillips drivers don't work well in JIS heads, but JIS drivers seem to work really well and cam out less in phillips heads.