Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Gonz posted:

Disney just moved Infinity War back a week to April 27th.

Teek posted:

Quoting this because my fiancee and I get into arguments about the usage of back/forward/up in regards to the "directions" events move on the calendar when their scheduling changes.

To be clear, it was originally scheduled for May 4th in the US. It's now coming April 27th.
Yeah thats moved up a week, not back a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Well, technically, it's back a week in the space/time continuum. But forward a week in Hollywood speak.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

'Avengers: Infinity War' Release Date Moves Up One Week to April

quote:

Avengers: Infinity War will now unfurl on April 27, a week before its earlier launch date of May 4. In other words, the summer box office will kick off earlier than expected (the first weekend in May is historically considered the official start of the summer season).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

This makes me feel old because X-Men 2: X-Men United came out May 2nd and at the time there were similar articles about how THAT was really early and since that flick made insane money for its opening weekend at the time* it made May the new start of the summer season.

*It was IIRC the first big budget Hollywood flick to open worldwide simultaneously which they counted towards that.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Neo Rasa posted:

This makes me feel old because X-Men 2: X-Men United came out May 2nd and at the time there were similar articles about how THAT was really early and since that flick made insane money for its opening weekend at the time* it made May the new start of the summer season.

*It was IIRC the first big budget Hollywood flick to open worldwide simultaneously which they counted towards that.

I don't think it had a simultaneous worldwide release, but IIRC, The Mummy in 1999 was the first big summer blockbuster to be released the first weekend in May. Since then, there's been one every year... guess not this year, though.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Teek posted:

Quoting this because my fiancee and I get into arguments about the usage of back/forward/up in regards to the "directions" events move on the calendar when their scheduling changes.

To be clear, it was originally scheduled for May 4th in the US. It's now coming April 27th.

This gives Solo a little more breathing room. Wonder if Deadpool may move a week earlier too now.

Wait, WTF?

May 4th falls on a Friday this year and they are releasing a Star Wars movie in May and it's not on May 4th?

That just seems like no-brainer marketing gold.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Guy A. Person posted:

Wait, WTF?

May 4th falls on a Friday this year and they are releasing a Star Wars movie in May and it's not on May 4th?

They've released 6 other Star Wars films in May and none of them have been on May 4th. May 25th (Solo's release date) was also when ANH and RotJ were released.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Barry Convex posted:

I don't think it had a simultaneous worldwide release, but IIRC, The Mummy in 1999 was the first big summer blockbuster to be released the first weekend in May. Since then, there's been one every year... guess not this year, though.

Double checking it seems the unique thing was that it debuted in 93 countries at once, making it the largest worldwide debut with massive international marketing in many countries at once to that scale rather than it being the first.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Guy A. Person posted:

Wait, WTF?

The smart move would be to shift Solo to April 27th, then hope the whole “May the 4th” thing boosts their second week earnings and helps keep the momentum going.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's a loving goat man smoking weed in a silk tent, my dude. that's not in the comic btw

Satire? More like satyr-ire am I rite

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Phylodox posted:

I didn’t care for Batman v Superman at all and even I would have rather Snyder finished Justice League. I wouldn’t have watched it, but the people who are into his movies would have, and some people enjoying a movie is better than no people enjoying a movie.

Agreed. We'd also get the benefit of them not constantly crying online about it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I would also like to see the version of Iron Man 2 with the original storyline intact and half the movie is not an Avengers prologue.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The MSJ posted:

I would also like to see the version of Iron Man 2 with the original storyline intact and half the movie is not an Avengers prologue.

When I rewatched it recently there was a lot less MCU-setup than I remembered, although maybe it's just become the standard now.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

K. Waste posted:

Oliver Stone's Alexander is a pretty dead-on antecedent to 300, in that both are clever allegorical revisions of history that use the mythological opposition between Western civilization and the Orient to satirize the rhetoric of contemporary U.S. 'foreign policy.' In each film, however, there's this also very earnest, overtly sensual fantasy of the Greek hero actually being a defiantly 'progressive' - Alexander wants to completely assimilate his empire so that he can make a world for him and Hephaistion of freer love; Leonidas doesn't want religion to check reasonable, collectivist opposition to imperialism. Baby steps. What both films fetishize is precisely this self-sacrificial discipline, with Alexander as a much better sequel than Rise of an Empire depicting how this same mythology and rhetoric leads to the trudging death cult that Alexander inspires, and eventually loses completely.

This is so dumb and ahsitorical. The hellenistic world was not only okay with male/male love, they exhalted it over male/female love.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

When I rewatched it recently there was a lot less MCU-setup than I remembered, although maybe it's just become the standard now.

It's just dull as hell. Even outside of Avengers set up, they still crammed about three plots in there.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Charlz Guybon posted:

This is so dumb and ahsitorical. The hellenistic world was not only okay with male/male love, they exhalted it over male/female love.

It’s not meant to be a work of documentary history.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

ungulateman posted:

"harvesting the planet's core was suicide!"

[smash cut to an oil rig catching on fire]

:thunk:

e: to be less facetious, it's fairly clearly drawing on Gattaca and The Matrix as inspiration, which are both dystopic visions of the future based on end-stage capitalism.

Rigidly centrally planned economies have been even worse at safeguarding the enviornment than capatilist ones. Look at the Soviet bloc.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Charlz Guybon posted:

You're semi-accurate. Male/male love was exalted, but also practiced systematically. If the ancient Greeks exalted male/male love over male/female love, this was always in the context of an entrenched patriarchal society that already didn't have the highest view of women to begin with - and, indeed, viewed the polarization between masculine and feminine natures as integral to the secure and moderate functioning of a society. Male/male love in military service and among warriors was undoubtedly significant, but the more overt practice of male/male love was structured by conventional power relationships, particularly class and age. Even in the space of male/male love, the paradigmatic associations between man-woman, masculine-feminine, active-passive, dominant-submissive carried over from heterosexual relationships.

In my post, I describe Alexander the fictional character's desire to build a kingdom of 'free love.' This is not the same as a society that systematically practices male-male love with the condition that you can still surrender your dignity and pride by assuming the 'submissive' role of a woman. The dramatization in Alexander is historically imprecise, but it is not in a sense inaccurate or inexplicable. The film is presenting a "counter-myth"* in which the homosexuality of ancient Greece is presented as consistent with the oppression of American ideology. Alexander can have sex with men, but as Aristotle teaches, he must 'moderate' himself. The feminizing immoderation that Alexander's contemporaries fear - paralleling their bigotry towards recognizing the equality of "barbarians" - is represented in the film by Hephaistion offering Alexander a wedding ring.

*to use Stone's description of JFK

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Charlz Guybon posted:

Rigidly centrally planned economies have been even worse at safeguarding the enviornment than capatilist ones. Look at the Soviet bloc.

the film has a council of aristocrats dressed up in ridiculous gold filigree arguing that change is bad and that everyone should keep doing what they're doing

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The MSJ posted:

Yeah, I really want to see this.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Fart City posted:

Red State is a really compelling concept that is absolutely wasted in its execution. It was the first time I really felt Smith was exposed in being out of his depth, which is a shame because the set-up is extremely fertile ground, but its potential never gets capitalized on. The ending is particularly egregious because it toes the line of doing something really ballsy, but then almost immediately doubles back and plays it safe.

This is from a couple pages back, but I cut him slack about the ending not going balls deeps in the whole "Rapture" idea, despite the ending being a wet fart otherwise. He went on about it at one point saying he wanted to do it (and had so far as written it), but he didn't have the budget to go through with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtXEtwAVgEc

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

One part that stood out for me in the new Cloak & Dagger trailer.

https://i.imgur.com/s4uz6Ou.mp4

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 2, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Has the Simpsons episode about the Radioactive Man movie aged scarily well? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U58IdBjMeS4

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cloak and dagger? I hardly know er!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

From the famously pro-Soviet New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/07/opinion/lenin-environment-siberia.html

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

ungulateman posted:

the film has a council of aristocrats dressed up in ridiculous gold filigree arguing that change is bad and that everyone should keep doing what they're doing

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I mistakenly read this as “alarmy stock photo,” and I was like, yeah.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The argument being made is that everything in Krypton is planned, so it can't comment on capitalism since that demands free markets.

Currently, it is possible for corporations to use your Facebook account to create accurate psychological profiles for purposes of marketing and political campaigning. And this is in free-market democracies.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The argument being made is that everything in Krypton is planned, so it can't comment on capitalism since that demands free markets.

Currently, it is possible for corporations to use your Facebook account to create accurate psychological profiles for purposes of marketing and political campaigning. And this is in free-market democracies.

you're missing a word there; it's centrally planned economies that are distinct from free-market ones. all economies are planned to some extent, the difference is a free-market economy has a shitload of players all planning for themselves/against each other whereas a centrally planned economy is controlled primarily (if not entirely) by one central governing body.

if all those corporations were nationalized, were doing that, and were sharing their data with each other free of charge, you'd have more of a point there

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The exact nature of Krypton's economy is kinda irrelevant because it's not the Cold War anyone and there's no ideology-A or ideology-B to be criticising. There is one ideological system with a virtual monopoly of power in the world, so if a fictional world bears an uncanny resemblance to our own (or our 'future'), there's only really one ideology it can be criticising.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, we don't see enough of Kryptonian society to determine how their economy functions from, like, a sci-fi world building perspective. The criticism of capitalism comes from stuff like the comparison between Krypton imploding from over-exploitation and the burning oil rig. It's capitalism, acting as it does in coordination with the states, that's doing that today, independent of how Krypton's ruling council got there.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

you're missing a word there; it's centrally planned economies that are distinct from free-market ones. all economies are planned to some extent, the difference is a free-market economy has a shitload of players all planning for themselves/against each other whereas a centrally planned economy is controlled primarily (if not entirely) by one central governing body.

if all those corporations were nationalized, were doing that, and were sharing their data with each other free of charge, you'd have more of a point there

The example used was Kryptonian children are genetically engineered to fit roles, which is like centrally planned economies somehow because both are... rigid forms of behaviour. Thus it can't be capitalist because capitalism is not rigid.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Imagine reading Brave New World and coming away with the take "This says nothing about capitalism."

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

And note that resource extraction is a relatively-centrally-planned area in modern capitalism. An offshore oil rig isn't exactly a laissez faire, just plop one down wherever you want sort of thing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The example used was Kryptonian children are genetically engineered to fit roles, which is like centrally planned economies somehow because both are... rigid forms of behaviour. Thus it can't be capitalist because capitalism is not rigid.

yeah that's kind of a bad example and doesn't really fit either because even in a centrally planned economy you don't necessarily do one thing for your entire goddamn life, resources (both capital and labor) still shift according to where they're needed. you just have one central governing body putting people where they need to be at any given time, instead of market pressures theoretically causing this to happen organically.

e: like I'm honestly not a hundred percent sure if i'm agreeing with you or disagreeing with you because I haven't really been following this conversation, I'm just clarifying a concept you seemed to slightly miss the nuance in

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 2, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Look, in order to "genetically engineer" children for roles in our society, you would start them working in factories really young...oh

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Plato once wrote a message to fellow educators, telling them that while it's normal to want to gently caress your young beautiful students up the rear end, you shouldn't do it if it would get in the way of their education.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

So I read up about that Krypton TV show, and apparently it's not just a prequel. It's about Adam Strange travelling from the future to make sure baby Kal-El ends up on Earth. That cape he gives to Superman's grandfather is literally Superman's cape, and if Adam fails in his mission it would fade from existence like Marty in Back To The Future.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Then....who made Superman's cape?

*electric guitar plays Beethoven's 5th symphony*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

On one hand, that sounds stupid. On the other hand, oh gently caress Adam Strange is finally coming to TV, baby!!