Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Are you behind him? If you get too far behind him past the miasma you just get instagibbed.

Alternatively, if you're having rough connection issues, it can cause animation desync. He might look stationary when he's actually doing his giant swordsplosion or something of the like. He might even be moving forward without animating, moving the deadzone up with him. Try doing the fight offline(complete it or just test it) and see if it's still being weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cuchulain posted:

Are you behind him? If you get too far behind him past the miasma you just get instagibbed.

Alternatively, if you're having rough connection issues, it can cause animation desync. He might look stationary when he's actually doing his giant swordsplosion or something of the like. He might even be moving forward without animating, moving the deadzone up with him. Try doing the fight offline(complete it or just test it) and see if it's still being weird.

Hm don't think I was behind him, guess I'll try giving it ago on my lonesome.

e: welp yeah I went and did it in one try by myself, no weird invisible one shots or anything so it must have been some sort of desync issue. Bummer, it's more fun playing with jolly cooperation.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 1, 2018

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014
i know i keep posting my clips n vids in here n u are probably tired of it but i think this is particularly funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfVU5tf7Xto

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

g0t_hats posted:

i know i keep posting my clips n vids in here n u are probably tired of it but i think this is particularly funny

I will probably never have any entertaining pvp of my own so thanks and god bless

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Where's the best spot to get summoned after/near the first fat ring-around-the-rosy knight (in the beginning High Wall zone)?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That's basically the end, so proceed a few paces into the level and you'll find a boss. That's the spot.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

g0t_hats posted:

On the contrary, that was phenomenal and your ability to take such a savage owning with the grace to spend time editing it is commendable.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I got this from the monthly Humble Bundle. Coming from Bloodborne this game is somehow even harder. I have to stop myself from trying to rally health back. Also parrying is a lot harder than Bloodborne. I did get through the first boss to the hub world without breaking my controller, so I consider that a success so far.

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

Cuchulain posted:

On the contrary, that was phenomenal and your ability to take such a savage owning with the grace to spend time editing it is commendable.

LOL

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Armacham posted:

I got this from the monthly Humble Bundle. Coming from Bloodborne this game is somehow even harder. I have to stop myself from trying to rally health back. Also parrying is a lot harder than Bloodborne. I did get through the first boss to the hub world without breaking my controller, so I consider that a success so far.

Iudex Gundyr is a pretty hard boss, especially considering the other tutorial bosses (Asylum Demon, nothing in DS2). Probably took me close to 15 attempts when I started out as a deprived.

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

DrNutt posted:

Iudex Gundyr is a pretty hard boss, especially considering the other tutorial bosses (Asylum Demon, nothing in DS2). Probably took me close to 15 attempts when I started out as a deprived.

Yeah hes brutal for some people, I kinda wonder how many people purchased the game on a whim and refunded or uninstalled after they couldnt beat him.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Honestly the only reason I persisted is that I knew he was supposed to be hard and I knew I needed to retrain my muscle memory from Bloodborne.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

g0t_hats posted:

Yeah hes brutal for some people, I kinda wonder how many people purchased the game on a whim and refunded or uninstalled after they couldnt beat him.

I think what made him so hard, at least for me, is that he's got no gimmick shortcuts, like how you start off Asylum Demon knocking a 3rd off his health bar with the falling strike. You just have to git gud and learn to dodge his poo poo. In that way, he's also a more rewarding and instructive boss.

DS3 is not loving around with difficulty in general so it's nice that they were so upfront about it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I mean, boreal valley vordt is actually significantly easier than gundyr imo, and would've made for a perfect tutorial boss. He's got the slow predictable strikes down pat, and also an exciting second phase that honestly doesn't change much but seems intimidating. I think they got a bit overzealous with gundyr.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
^^^I disagree with this tbh, Vordt is at least as beefy as Gundyr and his chained charges can be really nasty. The fight’s easier in the sense that you probably have more Estus, can summon allies, and can pack gold resin/deep axe to great effect, but I know which one has killed me more often.

g0t_hats posted:

Steam achievement stats show that 77.9% of all players have beaten Iudex. Then again only 86.5% have made it to the first bonfire. Still well ahead of DS1, where only 54% ever make it to Lordran (the crappy port presumably had a lot to do with this) or DS2, where only 63.7% make it past Last Giant.

The achievement stats for the series are pretty interesting over all. Barely half of players have ever beaten Crystal Sage or Abyss Watchers for example, and less than a third have ever beaten Nameless King. Only 7% of DS1 players ever became a Darkwraith.

skasion fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 2, 2018

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

The Joe Man posted:

Where's the best spot to get summoned after/near the first fat ring-around-the-rosy knight (in the beginning High Wall zone)?

At the bonfire right after the drake, tbh. Right there. If you put down your sign after the fat knight you get summoned for Dancer usually - even if you put down your sign right in front of Vordt, and that's useless.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I love that Iudex Gundyr means "Judge Battle" or Battle Judge. In Japanese his name is "Judge of Ash Gundyr" which is pretty on the nose. I agree that his second phase is bullshit, and he is definitely harder than previous tutorial bosses. I still think it's an awesome boss in an awesome arena that makes you feel like an absolute badass when you kill him, but I came to this having played Demon's Souls and DS1 and 2 when they came out, so I kind of knew what I was getting into. Originally you were supposed to fight him in Oceiros' room, and I have no idea what the blue swords on the ground were.

That location makes me think that Consumed King's garden as a stealth section early on would have been a nightmare.

I agree he could have been tweaked, but Vordt might have been weird for newbies considering he applies a status effect, though.

This is a pretty cool gallery, by the way.
https://imgur.com/a/yEcES

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Made it all the way to Anor Londo and the Aldritch boss room before realizing I'd completely missed the Irithyl Dungeon. Should I go back and do that first or does it even matter one way or another?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

DrNutt posted:

Made it all the way to Anor Londo and the Aldritch boss room before realizing I'd completely missed the Irithyl Dungeon. Should I go back and do that first or does it even matter one way or another?

It doesn’t matter which you do first, but you need to do it eventually. It’s broadly a bit harder than regular Irithyll. Unless you’re a sorcerer there’s no particular reason to do it first.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

DrNutt posted:

It doesn't matter which you do first but Irithyl Dungeon sucks more.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Guess I'll just kill Aldritch then go back to the dungeons. Got him a third down as a phantom already but the host got one shotted by some kind of heavily telegraphed AOE attack. :smith:

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Learn to run fast, those arrows don't gently caress around. The best way to fight him is to stick to him as much as you can, and always bolt at him as soon as he pops up. His melee attacks are wonky as hell, but also when he's the most vulnerable.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Is there any downside to allowing cross region matchmaking? I figure it will make summons/invasions pop faster if I can match the whole world but Is there some nasty lag issue I’ll be facing?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Is there any downside to allowing cross region matchmaking? I figure it will make summons/invasions pop faster if I can match the whole world but Is there some nasty lag issue I’ll be facing?

I had no issues until last night when I seemingly got summoned by a guy in Australia playing on a 56.6 baud dial up connection. He warped around everywhere and we went down to go kill Sulyvahn's creatures and they hilariously slid around without any walking or attacking animations. I wish I'd recorded it. They still killed us easily though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

DrNutt posted:

I had no issues until last night when I seemingly got summoned by a guy in Australia playing on a 56.6 baud dial up connection. He warped around everywhere and we went down to go kill Sulyvahn's creatures and they hilariously slid around without any walking or attacking animations. I wish I'd recorded it. They still killed us easily though.

Cross-region matchmaking just means you can play with Japanese. There’s only two regions, Japan and not Japan. If you’re in the US and have cross-region disabled the game will still just as happily match you up with a guy in Australia as it will with a guy down the street.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

skasion posted:

Cross-region matchmaking just means you can play with Japanese. There’s only two regions, Japan and not Japan. If you’re in the US and have cross-region disabled the game will still just as happily match you up with a guy in Australia as it will with a guy down the street.

Lmao holy poo poo that's fantastic.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

DrNutt posted:

Lmao holy poo poo that's fantastic.

It probably is, if you’re in Japan.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

DrNutt posted:

I will probably never have any entertaining pvp of my own so thanks and god bless

I'm bad at pvp so I don't have many great moments but my favorite was when I plunge attack one-shotted a host at the rope bridge cave bonfire in the Painted World and his gold phantom started spamming the door shield at me

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Pro tip for Aldritch: Don't lock on. The best thing to aim for is the bulging maggot sack that emerges when he melees. Locking on makes him insanely more difficult to hit and dodge, because of how he flails around.

Also DrNutt, it sounds like you're consistently having connection issues. Have you tried petty forwarding or anything to see if maybe it's you?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cuchulain posted:

Pro tip for Aldritch: Don't lock on. The best thing to aim for is the bulging maggot sack that emerges when he melees. Locking on makes him insanely more difficult to hit and dodge, because of how he flails around.

Also DrNutt, it sounds like you're consistently having connection issues. Have you tried petty forwarding or anything to see if maybe it's you?

Other than the Woldnir fight and this most recent thing I honestly haven't had any other noticeable issues. What's petty forwarding though? Is it like port forwarding?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Cuchulain posted:

Bulging maggot sack??? I thought the head was his weakpoint. He certainly seems to take more damage there. Have i missed an entire mechanic in the fight?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The Aldrich blob and Gwyndolin parts of him have different resistances. I don’t know off the top of my head which takes more physical damage but the Aldrich part is definitely way easier to hit, the Gwyndolin part is constantly sashaying around and if you’re locked onto it you’ll whiff a lot.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
For a Lord of Cinder, the Aldrich blob part takes an insane amount of damage from vestiges. I think I ended the fight in about 20 seconds by throwing 8 of them at 32/32 int/fath with a +6 flame.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

skasion posted:

Steam achievement stats show that 77.9% of all players have beaten Iudex. Then again only 86.5% have made it to the first bonfire. Still well ahead of DS1, where only 54% ever make it to Lordran (the crappy port presumably had a lot to do with this) or DS2, where only 63.7% make it past Last Giant.

The achievement stats for the series are pretty interesting over all. Barely half of players have ever beaten Crystal Sage or Abyss Watchers for example, and less than a third have ever beaten Nameless King. Only 7% of DS1 players ever became a Darkwraith.

DS1's Steam achievement stats are misleading because the game was only on GFWL with no Steam achievement support for the first three years it was on PC, and the tool to transfer GFWL save and achievement data to Steamworks was only available for a limited time after that.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
aldrich is basically just a giant blob enemy so of course hes incredibly weak to fire like the blobs are.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Pretty sure the Gwyndolin head straight-up takes more damage but yeah it's a pain to hit so wailing on the Aldrich-worm is generally the way to go.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Pretty sure the Gwyndolin head straight-up takes more damage but yeah it's a pain to hit so wailing on the Aldrich-worm is generally the way to go.

The wikidot which is generally pretty reliable says that Gwyndolin part does indeed have lower resistances across the board, and is really weak to both fire and lightning. Not entirely sure how that makes sense but whatever.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

gtrmp posted:

DS1's Steam achievement stats are misleading because the game was only on GFWL with no Steam achievement support for the first three years it was on PC, and the tool to transfer GFWL save and achievement data to Steamworks was only available for a limited time after that.

this guy quit at iudex gundyr folks!!!

tbqh I think gundyr teaches the most important lesson of all to new players, which is that consumables are extremely useful and you should use them, and also that you should never ever use them because the moment you rely on them you'll run out and die and have to win without them.

Baku fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 3, 2018

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
I am in need of twinking help if anyone is game. Will trade anything I am not using for any of the following:

Lapp's Helm
Outrider Knight Gauntlets
Avelyn
Hunter's Ring
Prisoner's Chain
Life Ring +3
Ring of Favor +3

it's a WolfBros invader at SL30, hence hoping for a twink. I have played low-level builds in late game areas, so I know it can be done, but eh.

I have other chars with stuff from all over the place. In fact, I might just need someone to help mule items.

At any rate, if you can help: Monkrocker on PSN

HaB fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

HaB posted:

I am in need of twinking help if anyone is game. Will trade anything I am not using for any of the following:

Lapp's Helm
Outrider Knight Gauntlets
Avelyn
Hunter's Ring
Prisoner's Chain
Life Ring +3
Ring of Favor +3

it's a WolfBros invader at SL30, hence hoping for a twink. I have played low-level builds in late game areas, so I know it can be done, but eh.

I have other chars with stuff from all over the place. In fact, I might just need someone to help mule items.

At any rate, if you can help: Monkrocker on PSN

Highly unlikely you will get a Life +3 dropped as its a NG++ ring if I remember correctly