Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Cowcaster posted:

got to 160/500 for the mining engineer last night on the road to unlocking all the engineers and am ready to give up on it and do something else but i want engineered plasma accelerators

If you ever want to coordinate a time I can drag out the big mining ship for you to just mass scoop/refine. It's one of those things that's stupidly fast with a proper ship and hell without one.

Urthor posted:

Is now the time to return to Elite after pretty much skipping 2.4 entirely?

Sure hope so, seems like there's a fair bit of content to clear

Game is still mostly the same as ever with a bit more story coming along with the Thargoids/Guardians. So unless the random engineering was keeping you away there's probably not a whole lot more out yet content-wise.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

i've got the 10 tons of painite as part and parcel of the mining but i'm terrified that i'll accidentally sell it and have to do more mining

Also gotta look out for those pirates with hatch breaker limpets who pull the painite right out from under you. Sometimes they are in wings and one will shoot at you to distract you and the other will start pulling out your cargo.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I went to Kamitra to buy some rare cigars for one of the engineers. The station is in lockdown and I can't buy anything. How long do these faction states last?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
It turns out the cheap as hell Guardian Power Plant was a bug and is now fixed (8a went from 5mil to 120 mil). A bonus though is all regular PPs have been made cheaper.

Ed Lewis, while addressing this, accidentally spoiled as of yet unreleased modules: guardian power distributer, guardian fsd booster

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

jubjub64 posted:

Also gotta look out for those pirates with hatch breaker limpets who pull the painite right out from under you. Sometimes they are in wings and one will shoot at you to distract you and the other will start pulling out your cargo.

man can i get the 500 tons of ore qualification this way instead

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
That data point at Dav's Hope can drop modified embedded firmware right? Is it still glitched?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

jubjub64 posted:

Will point defense zap limpets?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Christ this game can be frustrating. I just did 5 salvage collection mission pickups and was wrapping up the last on my list. I'd had enemies drop in on two others, but they were Mostly Harmless in Eagles. Halfway through the final pickup a ship drops in and murders the 5A shields on my AspE in less than 5 seconds. I never even got my hardpoints retracted before I was dead.

I guess the lesson here is caution? Turn in frequently? Play a game that has some kind of range between stupidly easy and insanely difficult?

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

man can i get the 500 tons of ore qualification this way instead
I think it only counts when you refine the ore.

Kaddish posted:

That data point at Dav's Hope can drop modified embedded firmware right? Is it still glitched?
It can be scanned over and over again per instance.

Inspector Hound posted:

Sometimes, sometimes they miss.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

jubjub64 posted:

I think it only counts when you refine the ore.

yeah i figured. it's just strange to completely sympathize with the pirates in this situation

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

It will (try to), and an EM pulser will kill any and all active limpets in its range when it goes off.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Mike the TV posted:

It turns out the cheap as hell Guardian Power Plant was a bug and is now fixed (8a went from 5mil to 120 mil). A bonus though is all regular PPs have been made cheaper.

Ed Lewis, while addressing this, accidentally spoiled as of yet unreleased modules: guardian power distributer, guardian fsd booster

I was almost done collecting all the guardian stuff, too. Quite a price hike on that but not too surprising.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Is there a consensus on best experimental mod for shields?

Not sure if I'd be better off multiweaving or hi-capping. Or min-maxing more thermal resist. Or making my recharge even better. Or, if none of them make that big of a difference, stripping down a bit of weight. So many decent-sounding options!

I'm flying a multipurpose mission-runner Chieftain with a thermal resist bi-weave and a couple of augmented boosters

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Man, all the 'boom time shipment' missions at the station where I'm basically allied with everybody are all now 'wing recommended' and instead of being ~100-200 tons they're 1000-4000 tons, for the same reward amount. Bummer.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
It's gonna be funny if loading your ship up with guardian modules ends up causing the thargoids to hunt you down.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Trustworthy posted:

Is there a consensus on best experimental mod for shields?

Not sure if I'd be better off multiweaving or hi-capping. Or min-maxing more thermal resist. Or making my recharge even better. Or, if none of them make that big of a difference, stripping down a bit of weight. So many decent-sounding options!

I'm flying a multipurpose mission-runner Chieftain with a thermal resist bi-weave and a couple of augmented boosters

The recharge mod is the newest one. I'd assume that would be the best if you mostly care about long-term engagements like HazRezes. If you want to PVP you might want to consider multiweave or hi-cap.

I want to test the recharge mod on a bi-weave shield and see if it gets ridiculous regen.

Rynoto posted:

I was almost done collecting all the guardian stuff, too. Quite a price hike on that but not too surprising.

The newest update is that you are also not supposed to engineer any of the Guardian items. Anyone who has already engineered the power plant will have it returned to standard and some high-end materials added to their inventory.

Mike the TV fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 2, 2018

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Mike the TV posted:

The newest update is that you are also not supposed to engineer any of the Guardian items. Anyone who has already engineered the power plant will have it returned to standard and some high-end materials added to their inventory.

Welp, my "fucks given" about guardian power plant just dropped to zero. Way less of a chore just to engineer a standard power plant.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Wow same. I was going to stuff a guardian pp on the vulture for some laughs but now eh. The weight already made it not terribly useful outside of niche combat ships and now not being able to engineer it means you can't even use it for low emission mods.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
8A Guardian Power Plant vs. Grade 5 Overcharged 8A standard:

GPP is/has:
20% more expensive
25% heavier
a little less power output
a little worse heat management
25% more integrity

Result- absolutely not worth it unless you're like me and already got it for 5mil.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
What are the best weapons for destroying submodules?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Knifegrab posted:

What are the best weapons for destroying submodules?

If the modules you want to break are on the outside of the ship (ie, cargo hatch, weapons, utlities), missiles are great. The Packhound missiles might be the best in that regard. For internal modules, you'll want railguns that are modified for extra penetration.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Technically railguns are the best because of their unlimited penetration. However gimballed multicannons are also very good and easy to use, provided you're attacking from the correct angle. Once you get into large/huge multicannons + engineering you can wipe out a ship's power plant and trigger the auto-destruct in just a few seconds with good positioning.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Gimballed cannons are significantly easier to use than RGs unless you're shooting at something big like a 'Conda. Multis also okay just with less pen.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I feel blind but where is the penetration stat in game?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
There isn't one in game! It all had to be figured out by people who are way too dedicated. A list that should still be mostly accurate

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
These planets are loving beautiful

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Knifegrab posted:

I feel blind but where is the penetration stat in game?

It goes down and stays at zero upon installation.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Say, obsidian orbital is now days away from being fully repaired. It sill needs 3,000 power converters which can be fairly easily sourced. If you want to feel like you’ve contributed to the first rebuilding of a station by players in the game, now’s the time.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mike the TV posted:

What the gently caress. It's worthless, then.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Gort posted:

What the gently caress. It's worthless, then.

It's fine if you are in a subset of people that want a blend of heavy duty and overcharged mods.

To the 95% of other players, then yes.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Blind Rasputin posted:

Say, obsidian orbital is now days away from being fully repaired. It sill needs 3,000 power converters which can be fairly easily sourced. If you want to feel like you’ve contributed to the first rebuilding of a station by players in the game, now’s the time.

Bet someone delivers 3,001 UA's to the station the second it gets repaired.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

just flipping around in inara killing time on this friday afternoon at work and it's funny to me that in the cutter's description it reads "is faster and more elegant then the corvette, but doesn't quite match it in armour and firepower", meanwhile according to the datamined stats it has nearly the lowest agility in the game, and yet more base armor and shields than the corvette.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Really? I always thought my clipper was a mad fast drifting laser shooter. I don’t have a corvette though. Do you mean the cutter?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Blind Rasputin posted:

Really? I always thought my clipper was a mad fast drifting laser shooter. I don’t have a corvette though. Do you mean the cutter?

sorry, i wrote clipper at first but i meant cutter

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Just noticed something cool and useful. Sorry if old news but maybe someone doesn't know. When you are playing in VR the button "Select target in front of you" doesn't mean in front of ship, it selects whatever you are looking at through your headset. Pretty neat to select chunks in SRV but I think could be pretty useful in combat too.

E: What is Quent good for? I am kind of wary with his upgrades. More power is good but it also increases heat and your PP gets more fragile, heat efficient plant decreases power output on other hand.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 2, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Cutter is stupidly fast but can't turn for poo poo. The proper way to fight with it is turning off flight assist and using the tremendous amounts of mass to flip around and fly backwards while shooting at things. You'll retain so much momentum that it's more efficient to just go along for the ride and then only thrust back towards the target once you've finally slowed down and they're running out of range.

And the armour part is technically true if you don't consider shields armour :v:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sekenr posted:

Just noticed something cool and useful. Sorry if old news but maybe someone doesn't know. When you are playing in VR the button "Select target in front of you" doesn't mean in front of ship, it selects whatever you are looking at through your headset. Pretty neat to select chunks in SRV but I think could be pretty useful in combat too.
It's not a VR feature, it does that with any headlook.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sekenr posted:

E: What is Quent good for? I am kind of wary with his upgrades. More power is good but it also increases heat and your PP gets more fragile, heat efficient plant decreases power output on other hand.

Unlocking Palin

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
There's a reason Qwent is the most hated engineer in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Sekenr posted:

Qwent is good for nothing except giving you the invite to the second best engineer in the game.

• Locked thread