Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

less laughter posted:

Obviously, since I love you most of all.

:3: aww :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Isn't there a fairy version of the silk scarf? I dunno what it is off-hand, but there's always the Pixie Plate.

Surprisingly, there isn't. The Pixie Plate is the only item that works like that for Fairy attacks, which is strange since they also made a Fairy Gem but its never been made available.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Zuzie posted:

Surprisingly, there isn't. The Pixie Plate is the only item that works like that for Fairy attacks, which is strange since they also made a Fairy Gem but its never been made available.

Wouldn't Metronome make more sense for echoed voice anyway?

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Fake or not, Pokémon designs after Gen 2 have been trash. With maybe Gen 7 being (mostly) an exception.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Fake or not, Pokémon designs after Gen 2 have been trash. With maybe Gen 7 being (mostly) an exception.

Turn your Nintendo® 3DS® on

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it goes 2 4 6 [1 or 5] [7 or 3]

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Gen V has the highest concentration of good designs so far. It has a bunch of real stinkers as well, but the Litwick, Mienfoo, Joltik, and Scraggy lines, to name a few, are all aces.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

This but exactly the opposite

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Zore posted:

This but exactly the opposite

Yeah Gen 1 (and ESPECIALLY Gen 2) are all really loving boring designs that largely coast by on pure nostalgia. The vast majority of them are "What if animal..but a little big?" and the ones that have actually interesting concepts to them were done much much better in the following generations (for example: Voltorb/Electrode compared to Foongus/Amoongus).

Gen 2 was made up mostly of pokemon that did not make the cut for Gen 1 and there's a reason most of them didn't make it! GEn 3-4 there were finding their legs and Gen 5 is straight up the most consistently well designed bunch with 6 and 7 close behind. Pokemon's a pretty rad franchise in that they get straight up better with each passing iteration, in both designs and mechanics.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I would raise that adorable fire snake into a giant adorable fire snake, even if it's 4x weak to water.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Smash your inch-thick rose-tinted glasses and swallow the shards.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah Gen 1 (and ESPECIALLY Gen 2) are all really loving boring designs that largely coast by on pure nostalgia. The vast majority of them are "What if animal..but a little big?" and the ones that have actually interesting concepts to them were done much much better in the following generations (for example: Voltorb/Electrode compared to Foongus/Amoongus).

Honestly, I think there's a lot to be said for pokemon designs that feel like they could conceivably be a real (if somewhat magical) animal in an actual ecosystem. The plainness of gen 1's designs really works in their favour that way, since their general resemblance to real animals makes them very believable as real animals. Generally, across all the generations, the weakest ones are the ones that feel more like cartoon characters than animals - Politoed, Probopass, the elemental monkeys, Klefki, and so on.

Nostalgia certainly adds to that believability. It's easy to imagine an ecosystem with Jigglypuffs in it if you were doing it when you were ten. Every generation since I was that age I've thought the new mons' designs were stupid, until something convinced me to actually play the games, and I learned to love them.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tenebrais posted:

Honestly, I think there's a lot to be said for pokemon designs that feel like they could conceivably be a real (if somewhat magical) animal in an actual ecosystem. The plainness of gen 1's designs really works in their favour that way, since their general resemblance to real animals makes them very believable as real animals. Generally, across all the generations, the weakest ones are the ones that feel more like cartoon characters than animals - Politoed, Probopass, the elemental monkeys, Klefki, and so on.

But there's a way to do that without being Seel the Seal. Gen 5 did this a lot, things like Zebstrika, The Boldure line, Amoongus, Krookodile, Marcactus, Swoobat etc. They're natural thing + a visual theme. The fit in a world just as well as any of the Gen 1 pokes, but they've got something to them other than being A Big Animal.

Even comparing their grass type pokemon. Gen 1 has A Big Pitcher Plant and A Rafflesia plant. Gen 5 has a cotton boll that is also a sheep, using the raw cotton to form its wool and a carnation that is a Southern Belle dressed for a ball (With a focus on learning dance moves to help go along with that)

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 2, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
All gens introduced good pokémon, some among more stinkers than others. I wanna say 3 had the fewest straight up stinkers, while 4 had the most.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

OgreNoah posted:

I would raise that adorable fire snake into a giant adorable fire snake, even if it's 4x weak to water.

It has Desolate Land as its Hidden Ability

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The tapir looks familiar and it is bugging me.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

All gens introduced good pokémon, some among more stinkers than others.

Indeed but if you only care because nostalgia then of course that logic won't make sense to you.

I can't think of a single gen that doesn't have a few Pokemon I love and would unconditionally use if I hadn't used them already and a bunch of others I like and would use under the right circumstances.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

McDragon posted:

The tapir looks familiar and it is bugging me.

It looks too similar to donphan and phanpy to me.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

How is Probopass, which is based on a real thing that exists, more of a "cartoon character" than, say, Jigglypuff?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I miss the old pokemon sprites

Like when Nosepass was a whistling Easter Island head

Or maybe puckering up for a smooch

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

All pokemon are beautiful in their own unique way.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

hangedman1984 posted:

All pokemon are beautiful in their own unique way.

Except Stantler

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Except Stantler

:hfive:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Vinylshadow posted:

I miss the old pokemon sprites

Like when Nosepass was a whistling Easter Island head

Or maybe puckering up for a smooch

I don't know if :thejoke: or not, but that's his foot.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Except Stantler

stantler was pokemon thread OG redchocobo's favorite pokemon iirc

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Sawsbuck is what Stantler wishes he was

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

stantler >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> carnivine

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

stantler >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> carnivine

This but exactly the opposite.

Carnivine rules, Stantler is the loving worst :colbert:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Gen 2 was made up mostly of pokemon that did not make the cut for Gen 1 and there's a reason most of them didn't make it! GEn 3-4 there were finding their legs and Gen 5 is straight up the most consistently well designed bunch with 6 and 7 close behind. Pokemon's a pretty rad franchise in that they get straight up better with each passing iteration, in both designs and mechanics.

This is straight up truth and I wish more people recognized that. I'm serious when I say I'm old, I've played literally every single pokemon gen to date from the moment they came out and have finished my pokedex three times. These days I'm the most hardcore breeder you'll ever meet. The first and second generation were just finding their footing and seriously LACKED in a lot of ways. Even back then little me had trouble making a team of my favorites because I just didn't have that many. When I see gen wunners whining about how much more fresh and original the designs used to be I'm genuinely baffled. Like....my dude. Battles sped along at the speed of smell, moves glitched out, characters weren't that interesting, and lot of pokemon designs were WANTING in a bad way. Not all of em'. But like....a lot. Little me would've been loving THRILLED to have a kickass angelic fire moth, vicious fruit queen, tuxedo mask as a rose, ninja frogs and a bat dragon. I would've loved the hell out those. Suffice to say I still love my old favorites and am very excited at the prospect of further regional variants but...come on now.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

They're all good dogs

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nodosaur posted:

How is Probopass, which is based on a real thing that exists, more of a "cartoon character" than, say, Jigglypuff?

Because Jigglypuff transcends the medium of "cartoons" and easily claims the title of Ultra Mega #1 Pokemon of All Time. Everything else is a race for third place (because Wigglytuff is second)

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I tried using Stantler for a bit because I have a soft spot for awful Pokemon, but even I couldn't commit to that. It's just boring outside of its weird ugliness.

Carnivine very nearly made it onto my team for this game, and still might if I decide I really want a grass Pokémon after all.

uglycute Pokémon > cute Pokémon > anime badass-looking Pokemon > inanimate object-based Pokémon > humanoid Pokemon > Volbeat and Illumise

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 3, 2018

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Rollersnake posted:

I tried using Stantler for a bit because I have a soft spot for awful Pokemon, but even I couldn't commit to that. It's just boring outside of its weird ugliness.

Carnivine very nearly made it onto my team for this game, and still might if I decide I really want a grass Pokémon after all.

uglycute Pokémon > cute Pokémon > anime badass-looking Pokemon > inanimate object-based Pokémon > humanoid Pokemon > Volbeat and Illumise

I realize typing is hard, but you misspelled Kanto Golem pretty badly at the end, there.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Eh, Kanto Golem is really dull, but I'd still probably use it someday.

Actually, below even the trailer trash fireflies is Roggenrola. "Hmm, we need a new obnoxiously common Pokemon to take the place of the one that looks like a turd Muppet... how about a walking butthole?"

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 3, 2018

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I just wish they'd put them around the volcanos more. The roggenrola line looks like obsidian anyhow.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Funkmaster General posted:

I don't know if :thejoke: or not, but that's his foot.

Yep; took me an embarrassing number of years to figure that out

Namely because I rarely run a Rock-type - Lycanroc was the first I ever used long-term and it instantly became my MVP due to being able to obliterate ya boi Guzma and became even more invaluable in Ultra Sun/Moon since it dominates half the totem pokémon with ease

Darn shame about its move pool though

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Stantler sucks but I'll never tire of wrecking people who don't expect its movepool in Pokemon Showdown's random battle

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Gen 4 and 5 are the lemon gens for me, mainly cause 4 felt like it spent most of its time adding weird evos to some of the classic designs that don't mesh too well, and 5 have about five awful designs for every one decent one (especially those trash can starters, yikes)

That being said, one of my favorite pokemon is from gen 5 (Volcarona) and it feels like the game goes out of its way to let you know it too, so I'm a bit torn here

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
why does stantler have such a big butt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Rollersnake posted:

Agree, but with the addendum that inanimate object pokémon who are ghosts are on the uglycute tier as well.