Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Acute Grill posted:

A melee charge of pistoleers should soundly rout most factions' archers, especially other Empire.

Not really. In SFO, pistols are very good at this but not so much in vanilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Acute Grill posted:

A melee charge of pistoleers should soundly rout most factions' archers, especially other Empire.
They have a melee attack of 12, a damage of 24, a charge bonus of 8, and a defense of 10 with armor 30. Assuming that neither side shot the other (and the longer this goes the worse it goes for the pistoliers) I don't see how this works out. Crossbowmen have a higher melee attack (14), the same damage, half the charge, almost twice the defense at 17, and only slightly less armor (20). And more models. And more health per model.

I'll see if I can work up a custom fight to actually test it, but that isn't my experience.

E: Like, counting charge bonuses you're at an attack of 20 vs a defense of 17 and armor 20 compared to an attack of 18 vs a defense of 10 and armor 30. The crossbowmen are going to be hitting quite a lot more than the pistoliers will be, even with the +10 armor difference. The crossbowmen won't come out well, but they certainly won't be "soundly routed" and they're cheaper to boot.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 27, 2018

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Pistoliers have been buffed in balance patches, they are stronger than that in melee now. You can also research a global +10 charge bonus tech for cav that helps.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I finally got a handle, somewhat, on this Empire game.

Thorgrim managed to gently caress off to Karak Hirn's minor settlement, and I was at least able to shield him there while whittling away at the Greenskins and Vampires. He's now pushing on Zhufbar (which I sacked ahead of time to try to make it easier for him to grab). I want dwarves covering my southeastern flank.

Belegar, meanwhile, has taken over every part of the border princes, with the exception of Akendorf, which I grabbed (and which has fought off about seven sieges by the Greenskins, most of them with multiple stacks). Marius Leitdorf, the mad prince, is down there being weird and crazy and smiting orcs.

Everyone else is finishing off the Vampires, who pushed north from Sylvania through Kislev and straight into Norsca. They're hellmarching the Varg as I gobble up their territory behind them. Mannfred has been ambushed too many times by Balthasar and I think he has PTSD now.

Meanwhile, Karl and friends are clearing out the World's Edge mountains. Karak Ungor and Karak Kadrin are mine, and I'm trying to help Thorgrim push through the seemingly endless stacks of orcs coming north to retake Zhufbar and Gunbad. It's not working so far.

There's been a lot of orcs. Not so much now that Belegar is pushing into the badlands, because he's chewing through most of them before I get to see any, but even still... the Orcs are still the strongest faction in the game, and they're still regularly rolling multiple stacks with WAAGHs all the time. It's actually a loving blast. This is what I had hoped the Greenskin AI would be like since the first game's release. I love the green tide, it's a lot of fun to fight against. :allears:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

FYI, if you have a Pascal GeForce card, and maybe other revisions, grab the 391.01 update, which was released on Monday. Apparently it provides significant performance increases for Total Warhammer.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
So I started a modded up Empire game thanks to Empirechat, and either Crysnos, Mixu's LLs, or Legitimacy makes it so the secesh only start with Eilhart. It only effects like the first ten turns (and Helmgart is inevitably sacked immediately by their stack that still starts there), but... why? I guess it could be something else but those three seem like the most likely culprits.

Other thoughts: Luthor Huss the legendary hero seems pretty strong, +25% provincial replenishment on top of normal plus replenishment bonuses. But oh well it's single player and it ain't like game 2 factions are struggling for replenishment, eh Dark Elves? And the offices enhanced mod helps make Karl not look like a chump compared to Gelt since he gets the Empire office bonuses on top of his campaign ones and needs to be unlocked for those to kick in.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1315502181

Rites for Old World factions. They're pretty basic, by the looks of it, but hey... THINGS!

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

So I started a modded up Empire game thanks to Empirechat, and either Crysnos, Mixu's LLs, or Legitimacy makes it so the secesh only start with Eilhart. It only effects like the first ten turns (and Helmgart is inevitably sacked immediately by their stack that still starts there), but... why? I guess it could be something else but those three seem like the most likely culprits.

I'm pretty sure it's the faction unlocker ( I've just recently tried it out myself ). I managed to pull a Pyrric victory defending Helmgart the first time I tried with the mod, managing to keep my infantry concealed while my pistoliers distracted the entire enemy army. Once the lines contacted I used the pistoliers to melee charge Zintler's mortar, then his wavering crossbowmen ( your defenders with have 4 units to his two so you should be able to do this quickly ), pursuing them until they were routing and not coming back, and then into any units of opportunity engaged in the brawl to force more routs ( your pistoliers will get savaged so do this once or twice and then save them for just chasing routed units thereafter - you want to keep forcing the enemy to break and not re-enter the fray ). Zintler has a unit of ROR knights who will carve poo poo up and you need to bog them down so they don't keep charging your rear.

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013
So, I think I have some time to build a vanilla faction unlocker. Probably just focusing on unlocking factions that are 'interesting' like Game 1 Lords split into their own faction, factions like Mousillon which are pretty playable looking and maybe minor powers which would make a good player start.

I have a problem with phase 1 of this plan as soon as I leave dwarf and greenskin factions though. I have little confidence on my best guess for several factions, and was hoping the lore buffs and mortal empires enthusiasts of this thread could help me with their strong opinions on any of the following:

Empire - Factions for Balthazar and Volkmar to take over
Vampire Counts - Helman Gorst and Heinrich Kemmler, what tiny scrap of sylvania should they start in?
Von Carstein - I probably should leave this exactly as-is (designed as a 2 LL faction)
Non-Major Vampires - In addition to Mousillon, which of these are really worth making playable?
Nomadic Factions - Co-op campaigns aside, current implementation seems fine? Splitting them changes game balance out of the mod's scope.

Would you actually use a vanilla mod that let you start as any of these?
Kislev
Tilea/Estalia/Border Princes
Brettonian Crusader States
Lustrian Dwarves/Southern Dwarves
Some elf I don't even know about

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Yes and don't forget mousillon and the random imperials by Maz!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

BurlapNapkin posted:

So, I think I have some time to build a vanilla faction unlocker. Probably just focusing on unlocking factions that are 'interesting' like Game 1 Lords split into their own faction, factions like Mousillon which are pretty playable looking and maybe minor powers which would make a good player start.

I have a problem with phase 1 of this plan as soon as I leave dwarf and greenskin factions though. I have little confidence on my best guess for several factions, and was hoping the lore buffs and mortal empires enthusiasts of this thread could help me with their strong opinions on any of the following:

Empire - Factions for Balthazar and Volkmar to take over

Give Balthazar Marienburg, it's where he's from, strong enough to be a viable start, and it'll help keep Louen from constantly taking it over in the first 4 turns every game.

Volkmar can get one of the north eastern provinces next to Kislev, closer to Chaos/Vampires since that's really what he's about

quote:

Non-Major Vampires - In addition to Mousillon, which of these are really worth making playable?

Lorewise there's the Necrarch Brotherhood, led by W'soran (who I think has a Lord in game?) and the Strygos Empire led by Ushoran, a Strigoi ghoul king.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

For Empire, definitely unlock Sartosa or whatever, and maybe put a LL in Lustria or something. Current start is fine but I have yet to fight lizards as Empire, and only late game Skaven.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Honestly the vast majority of the factions are just filler, just unlock the factions that mod makers have made interesting like mousilion, border princes/tilea/estalia/colonies, kislev, probably most of the empire minors.

That's the only unlocker I'd want to use.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

I will do unspeakable things for a vanilla faction unlocker.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You could put Ghorst or Kemmler in Lustria. “They’re gathering lore there for reasons”

Silver Host might be home for one of them too. Honestly don’t worry too much about lore because this game already has Khatep uncovering lost legions and rezzing legendary dynastic lords in Canada. See also Tretch, Teclis, and Kroq all being somewhere else Just Because.

Other than moving lords around I’d mainly just want playability for Cataph’s and so on without Crysnos’ All This Extra Stuff

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Don't forget Todbringer!

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
So, I just finished the DE vortex campaign, and after the main battle you get a rather long text during the loading screen. However it finished loading before I could finish reading, and there is nowhere else to read that text ingame, afaik. Can anyone tell me (in spoilers) what it says there or point me to a page where these storyquotes are listed?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Nuramor posted:

So, I just finished the DE vortex campaign, and after the main battle you get a rather long text during the loading screen. However it finished loading before I could finish reading, and there is nowhere else to read that text ingame, afaik. Can anyone tell me (in spoilers) what it says there or point me to a page where these storyquotes are listed?

This is the Morathi one, I don't have Malekith's:

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013
Ah, so people would use a vanilla faction unlocker *with* faction expanding mods? They don't actually unlock the faction themselves? That's good to know for compatibility, I'll see if that causes any problems

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BurlapNapkin posted:

Ah, so people would use a vanilla faction unlocker *with* faction expanding mods? They don't actually unlock the faction themselves? That's good to know for compatibility, I'll see if that causes any problems

Yeah AFAIK they all require Crysnos'. Otherwise the AI will get the new units from, say, Southern Realms but you can't play as them and the LLs don't spawn-they keep the generic doofs.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

There isnt a mod that has ported the Empire Fife and Drum mods into Warhammer right?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is there a bug that can stop you from getting city battles? I had the Black Pyramid fortified up to level 4 but on the last wave of vortex ritual attackers they touched the city and immediately forced the occupying army into a field battle. One with a big chokepoint where I wrecked them handily, but why even pay for walls?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 3, 2018

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
I’m playing the first Warhammer as the Greenskins. How exactly does Vindictive Glare work? I’ve been using it as a way to deal with dwarf lords, but it doesn’t seem that effective. It also doesn’t seem to work when I have a mob already encircling the lords; I mostly see my guys flying around rather than any damage dealt to the dwarf. Should I be using it in a different manner?

Also, for a map that is entirely made up, and thus could be made to look like anything, CA did not do a ton to vary terrain between the large swathes of badlands followed by never-ending northern mountains. A little variation would’ve made for more interesting games.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Democrazy posted:

I’m playing the first Warhammer as the Greenskins. How exactly does Vindictive Glare work? I’ve been using it as a way to deal with dwarf lords, but it doesn’t seem that effective. It also doesn’t seem to work when I have a mob already encircling the lords; I mostly see my guys flying around rather than any damage dealt to the dwarf. Should I be using it in a different manner?

In the first Warhammer, magic is underpowered in general. Dwarves are also extra-magic resistant and tanky by nature, so your low level magic missiles are barely hurting them.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Shumagorath posted:

Is there a bug that can stop you from getting city battles? I had the Black Pyramid fortified up to level 4 but on the last wave of vortex ritual attackers they touched the city and immediately forced the occupying army into a field battle. One with a big chokepoint where wrecked them handily, but why even pay for walls?

I had a similar bug at Altdorf. I figured maybe it had something to do with a mod for a scripted encounter with that One-Eye nerd. I slammed his idiot army handily because Altdorf's garrison is unassailable but still.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
In my baziillionth SFO Dwarf game I was really pleased to see that Settra made some serious headway and managed to pinch off the Skaven and Greenskins like the turds they are.

Going to war against Tomb Kings as Dwarves is interesting. Every battle has been a pyrrhic victory in spite of having decent units. SFO makes their basic skeletons much better so you end up with opposing units that each have 70 melee defense mashing into each other and very slowly grinding each other down. The gun bug means I'm heavily dependent on terrain to get good shots. And the AI Tomb Kings can flank like crazy which is an issue for for Dwarves.

SFO also added 'shieldbreaker' as an ability, which reduces the target's shield block. The Bolt Thrower has it which is a good change because it keeps them relevant mid game; using one in conjunction with Rangers amplifies their already impressive ranged attack.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Panfilo posted:

SFO also added 'shieldbreaker' as an ability, which reduces the target's shield block. The Bolt Thrower has it which is a good change because it keeps them relevant mid game; using one in conjunction with Rangers amplifies their already impressive ranged attack.

Technically that's not entirely correct. Shieldbreaker was added with Tomb Kings, the RoR Ushabti archers have it, but yeah, SFO is what will have given it to other units. Sorry, I have a bad habit of being pedantic about these things.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

In the first Warhammer, magic is underpowered in general. Dwarves are also extra-magic resistant and tanky by nature, so your low level magic missiles are barely hurting them.

This isn't really true. Theres a ton of powerful magic in game 1 that got nerfed in game 2 and is still stupid strong (mostly Lores of Death and Life but Vampires, Little Waagh, Light, Shadows and Metal are all really good. Fire, Beasts, Wild, Heavens and Big Waagh are more iffy in game 1)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Stephen9001 posted:

Technically that's not entirely correct. Shieldbreaker was added with Tomb Kings, the RoR Ushabti archers have it, but yeah, SFO is what will have given it to other units. Sorry, I have a bad habit of being pedantic about these things.

Oh, that's right. I didn't get a chance to play with all the Tomb King RoR so I forgot that they had it.

It's nice to have on other units too. I always felt like Bolt Throwers were kind of redundant; they're cheap and that's it but they get pretty much replaced by cannon which have better range and damage.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Democrazy posted:

Also, for a map that is entirely made up, and thus could be made to look like anything, CA did not do a ton to vary terrain between the large swathes of badlands followed by never-ending northern mountains. A little variation would’ve made for more interesting games.
Vindictive Glare fires an actual projectile where the people it hits are the ones it does damage to. If the enemy lord's being mobbed by your guys and you fire the projectile, you're just going to hit your own guys. Dwarves have inherent magic resistance, and are also small enough that you might just be missing them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The secret to greenskins magic is to choose Azhag and spam Fate of Bjuna

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The secret to greenskins magic is to choose Azhag and spam Fate of Bjuna

But.. the foot...

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Going back and playing Greenskins has made me appreciate how awful Waaaghs are. I'd rather have an army wide bonus and some recruitment/upkeep bonuses so I can raise my own Waaagh army. Instead of babying some idiot AI controlled trash stack that ends up getting clowned on most of the time. Hell I'd say leave it as is but just give me direct control, at least I wouldn't have to wait a turn before attacking.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sasgrillo posted:

Going back and playing Greenskins has made me appreciate how awful Waaaghs are. I'd rather have an army wide bonus and some recruitment/upkeep bonuses so I can raise my own Waaagh army. Instead of babying some idiot AI controlled trash stack that ends up getting clowned on most of the time. Hell I'd say leave it as is but just give me direct control, at least I wouldn't have to wait a turn before attacking.

All you need to do is order them to attack a target and they'll follow your order. They're great at assisting sieges and at moping up already looted settlements.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Mans posted:

All you need to do is order them to attack a target and they'll follow your order. They're great at assisting sieges and at moping up already looted settlements.

I’ve had full beast men waaagh stacks lose to just sacked and t1 settlements with like 5 units.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Richard Bong posted:

I’ve had full beast men waaagh stacks lose to just sacked and t1 settlements with like 5 units.

Auto resolve is totally screwed, which makes for interesting board states, but terrible waaagh assistance.

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?
Waaghs are useful for siege assistance, but mostly useless beyond that.

And orcs are really underpowered in campaign. You can do some really cool things with goblins with stalk and night goblin war boss bonuses (especially posion). But ultimately, you depend on waaghs to bring your one stack up to par, and they usually fail at that.

To add insult to injury, the high tier good unites are locked behind research.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Greenskins (at least for the player) got a huge buff in ME since they can go conquer Bretonnia instead of being g forced to fight Dwarfs for whom they have few advantages against.

Of course the AI isn't capable enough to exploit this and instead got infinity waagh, which is fine if not ideal.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
In the ME game I'm playing through as Manny, Orcs were the huge threat from the south. This is the weirdest game of ME I've seen yet, as the vampires i'm the worlds bulwark against the green tide. Early on they stomped the dwarves down to like 2 cities. I've been fighting them since like turn 20 and winning handily, but they got all the way north in the eastern mountains. I've been stomping so many orcs I'm at +1000 rep with dwarfs and like, 500 or more with humans, so i've got military alliances with all of them. Now I'm at turn 200 or so and Chaos just spawned and i'm chasing them down through norscaland. I've recently encountered the HE, and being the paragon of undeath I am, they were down to be vassalized??? The green horde is definitely more fun than the blue tide, it's just black orcs that take a while to cut down, instead of the infuriating durability of longbeards and ironbreakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ratchild13 posted:

In the ME game I'm playing through as Manny, Orcs were the huge threat from the south. This is the weirdest game of ME I've seen yet, as the vampires i'm the worlds bulwark against the green tide. Early on they stomped the dwarves down to like 2 cities. I've been fighting them since like turn 20 and winning handily, but they got all the way north in the eastern mountains. I've been stomping so many orcs I'm at +1000 rep with dwarfs and like, 500 or more with humans, so i've got military alliances with all of them. Now I'm at turn 200 or so and Chaos just spawned and i'm chasing them down through norscaland. I've recently encountered the HE, and being the paragon of undeath I am, they were down to be vassalized??? The green horde is definitely more fun than the blue tide, it's just black orcs that take a while to cut down, instead of the infuriating durability of longbeards and ironbreakers.

Have you played since the tomb kings patch? The ai orcs get passive +fightiness now so they actually do poo poo and spawn waaaghs instead of standing around attritioning to death.