Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

MrBond posted:

When was the last time you tried to upload to Apple Music? At launch they didn’t have song fingerprinting on but now they do - it shouldn’t get confused by live versions of the same song for example.

Oh god does it still ever get confused and it's annoying as gently caress. It has changed a couple random songs on certain albums to the live versions, even though I clearly have the studio album version in my library, and the rest of the songs on that album are studio versions. So annoying.

C'mon, I just want to rock out to Ace of Spades and Bombtrack studio versions. Don't give me this live bullshit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The uploading of your own library is WAY better on AM and if you have a massive collection of mixtapes that aren't on streaming services, it's great.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Also I haven’t hosed around with it at all but pretty sure Spotify lets you easily add your own library? Maybe not on mobile? 🤔🤷🏽‍♀️
It is easy to add your own library to the desktop version of Spotify, as all it is really doing is acting as a music player. To get those to Spotify on mobile you have to:
1) Add your local files to the desktop playerr, as above.
2) Create playlist/lists with those tracks.
3) Open mobile Spotify on your phone while on the same wifi and download those playlists, hoping that it doesn't randomly decide that songs aren't things they have on the service, regardless of whether that's the case or not

Even when it works exactly as expected (which it doesn't), it's cludgy, doesn't really integrate your music in your library (which is limited to 10k tracks, in any case), and doesn't let you just stream them - you *have* to have them downloaded onto your mobile device to listen to them.

Phthisis posted:

Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's free :shrug:

Having to pay extra on top of the normal rate isn't something I would be able to just ignore.
I think we're not clear here. I was under the assumption you wanted to just be able to stream your own tracks. Apple Music includes iTunes Match functionality, so it's not an additional fee. I was assuming you just wanted to be able to stream your library, which is cheaper than getting Apple Music if you don't want/care about their music.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Endless Mike posted:

I think we're not clear here. I was under the assumption you wanted to just be able to stream your own tracks. Apple Music includes iTunes Match functionality, so it's not an additional fee. I was assuming you just wanted to be able to stream your library, which is cheaper than getting Apple Music if you don't want/care about their music.

I sort of want the opposite of that. I don't want to stream anything, but I want to have access to a "streaming service" where I can pay a flat fee to save any music I want (more or less) to my phone (for as long as I'm subscribed).

Like the big issue here is that I want access to a streaming service but without ever actually streaming anything, just using offline copies. But to save offline copies I need iCloud music library enabled, which in the past has not worked properly with my personal collection, so there was no way to have both my personal collection and the apple music stuff saved onto my phone in an acceptable way.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
For a poor college student, that seems like a pretty expensive way to deal with local music on your phone. Your time has to be cheap enough that just using iTunes is the cheapest option?

If you have a machine to dedicate to the task, you could always use something like Subsonic and roll your own: http://www.subsonic.org/pages/index.jsp

vikingstrike fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 2, 2018

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

vikingstrike posted:

For a poor college student, that seems like a pretty expensive way to deal with local music on your phone. Your time has to be cheap enough that just using iTunes is the cheapest option?

If you have a machine to dedicate to the task, you could always use something like Subsonic and roll your own: http://www.subsonic.org/pages/index.jsp

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say. Either way I'm using iTunes?

The whole point is that I do not want to stream music at all, because I do not have a data plan that can handle that. But I also would rather pay for a streaming service than pay to buy the music I listen to (provided that it allows me to save offline copies) because it is cheaper in the long run.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

vikingstrike posted:

It sounds like they want access to the Apple Music catalog, they just want to download and play everything locally instead of streaming it. If that’s the case, just subscribe to Apple Music, enable iCloud Library on the phone and in iTunes, and turn “automatic downloads” on on the phone (but be sure “Downloads” is disabled in the “Cellular Data” section of the Music settings).

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Weedle posted:

It sounds like they want access to the Apple Music catalog, they just want to download and play everything locally instead of streaming it. If that’s the case, just subscribe to Apple Music, enable iCloud Library on the phone and in iTunes, and turn “automatic downloads” on on the phone (but be sure “Downloads” is disabled in the “Cellular Data” section of the Music settings).

Yes, this is exactly the functionality of what I want (in theory).

The problem that I originally posted about is that enabling iCloud Library on iTunes messes up my local music collection (of music I legally own but is not commercially available within the iTunes database) where the iCloud thing *thinks* that it is something that it is not, and changes the metadata to something incorrect.

And so my initial question was: "is there a way to do what I want without enabling iCloud Library in iTunes", and the answer is "no, but Apple Music now uses iTunes Match instead of what they were using before, so it's less bad about mangling your local music library".

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I don’t have much in my library that isn’t available on Apple Music, but I do have a Talk Talk live album that Apple Music used to always want to replace one track on with the studio version. Since the “audio fingerprinting” update or whatever, it now works correctly. So in my limited anecdotal experience, it is better at not doing that. One thing you can do to check that it’s not loving your poo poo up is go to the Songs view in iTunes and enable the iCloud Status column; this will tell you whether iTunes matched your local track with one in its library, or just uploaded your original file. Listen to the ones marked “Matched” to make sure it didn’t get it wrong.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The concept of streaming, which is having instant access to all of the most popular music at a moments notice without having to store or manage your own music, is going to be incompatible with having a small collection of unique and local music. Not saying it can't be done, but the services are not really designed for the 80% of customers who don't mingle those two segments.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phthisis posted:

The problem that I originally posted about is that enabling iCloud Library on iTunes messes up my local music collection (of music I legally own but is not commercially available within the iTunes database) where the iCloud thing *thinks* that it is something that it is not, and changes the metadata to something incorrect.

As someone who grappled with Apple Music when it was... well, absolute garbage at matching tracks (it "matched" a Jay-Z mashup with a studio version of a completely different Jay-Z track :arghfist:), I can confirm that the metadata isn't changed on the incorrectly matched tracks. It may have replaced audio of the live version of "There There" with the studio version from HTTT on my Radiohead: Live At Bonnaroo 2006 bootleg, but the track information all stayed the same. They've fixed the matching, though, and I haven't had any issues recently.

A side note: Apple Music will also apply your custom metadata to streaming-only tracks in your library. For instance, I have the entire 60+ song Bob Burgers soundtrack in my library added through Apple Music, but I don't want to hear most of the tracks while shuffling, just "Lifting Up The Skirt of the Night" (there are a bunch of other albums in my library that are examples like this, like holiday albums and video game soundtracks). So I created a Smart Playlist called "Curated Library" that is only tracks that don't have "Skip While Shuffling" in the comment field. Even though most of the tracks in my music library are streaming-only, the metadata changes are applied to "my" copies.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 2, 2018

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

carry on then posted:

"Siri, send an SOS immediately"

"Ok. Here's 'Sending Out an SOS' by The Police"

:golfclap:

Although the song is called "Message in a Bottle" and Siri isn't smart enough to work out what you mean from a lyric like that.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

~Coxy posted:

:golfclap:

Although the song is called "Message in a Bottle" and Siri isn't smart enough to work out what you mean from a lyric like that.

lmao google lied to me when i searched for the song name by that lyric

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Phthisis posted:

And so my initial question was: "is there a way to do what I want without enabling iCloud Library in iTunes", and the answer is "no, but Apple Music now uses iTunes Match instead of what they were using before, so it's less bad about mangling your local music library".

If you’re down with experimenting, the thing to do might be:
1. Back up your entire iTunes library folder.
2. Enable iCloud music library on that computer and let it match and upload
3. If it hosed up royally, deactivate iCloud music library on that computer
4. If it hosed up to the point where your local library got affected, restore from your backup.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Pendent posted:

That article seems pretty hyperbolic to me, frankly. I have zero expectation that any device I own or manage will stand up to a determined party (let alone a state actor) who has both physical access as well as the passkey to access it. When I switch to an iPhone it's going to be the key to accessing all sorts of stuff for me through the use of 2FA app as well as keys for accessing things like password databases so the moment somebody is in my phone I'm already pretty potentially fairly screwed.

This all comes down to threat modeling and I'm not sure that I want to derail the nice thread with that. Suffice to say I find keeping personal information secure these days to be an utter nightmare, and potentially a pointless at that one given the whole Equifax debacle.

I don't particularly think either platform should be chosen for FBI AINT GONNA GET ME security, but you seemed to be suggesting the iPhone was better at this where it very arguably is beaten by KNOX. If someone plucks your iPhone out of your hand they have everything on your device, since they can make an "encrypted backup" of it - this includes all app data, 2FA codes from authenticator, health data, etc. KNOX at least lets you put all that behind another secured partition so the threat model of "having it stolen in use" (the most common threat to your actual data) is eliminated.

The threat to your private data is the same on Apple or Google products - them getting hacked. Neither company are publishing anything they have on you anywhere, and both companies will have a similar profile on you in the event of a breach.

Apple's TouchID + a long alphanumeric pin code is still probably the best blend of security and convenience on a mobile device however.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Khablam posted:

I don't particularly think either platform should be chosen for FBI AINT GONNA GET ME security, but you seemed to be suggesting the iPhone was better at this where it very arguably is beaten by KNOX. If someone plucks your iPhone out of your hand they have everything on your device, since they can make an "encrypted backup" of it - this includes all app data, 2FA codes from authenticator, health data, etc. KNOX at least lets you put all that behind another secured partition so the threat model of "having it stolen in use" (the most common threat to your actual data) is eliminated.

The threat to your private data is the same on Apple or Google products - them getting hacked. Neither company are publishing anything they have on you anywhere, and both companies will have a similar profile on you in the event of a breach.

Apple's TouchID + a long alphanumeric pin code is still probably the best blend of security and convenience on a mobile device however.

this is the last thing i read about knox, so uh, i hope it's improved since then: https://threatpost.com/nsa-approved-samsung-knox-stores-pin-in-cleartext/109018/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Khablam posted:

Most applications with sensitive data will support the option to require TouchID before opening so there is some secondary level authentication available.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

For 2FA stuff like Google Authenticator, if I’m moving to a different physical phone, can I just restore from backup or do I need to deauthorize/reauthorize all my logins?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

For 2FA stuff like Google Authenticator, if I’m moving to a different physical phone, can I just restore from backup or do I need to deauthorize/reauthorize all my logins?

I think it will restore from backup, but I forget. I switched to OTP Auth awhile ago which stores the tokens in iCloud.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

This isn't particularly true anymore, as long as KNOX is enabled on the S7 it's arguably the most secure platform since Apple quietly took away some security features in iOS11.

Neither of which is ever going to be relevant to you though - federal law enforcement is pretty smart on this and will plain-clothes follow your rear end til you're making a phone call then snatch it off you. Rumour is Apple made those changes so LEA can do exactly that; fully clone a phone by just plugging it in after pulling it from a suspects hands.

Reading that link I think I'll go and finally upgrade my 4 digit passcode.

Not going to change it to a 49 digit passcode like my kid did, but 6 digits sounds pretty nice.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
OK, my wife has a dinosaur old iphone that needs to be replaced. I want to do this on the cheap, and want her to keep her mobile and stay on t-mobile.

I see that best buy is running some promotions on Sprint phones. An iphone 8 64gb for $18.74/mo x 24 months = $450.
Some dudes on slickdeals are saying you can buy the phone (SEALED), make sure they don't put a sprint sim in, pay off the phone, go get a verizon sim to unlock it, port the number to a prepaid service like h2o (which cancels the sprint billing), and then once the sprint service is ported/cancelled put in the old tmobile sim.
Does that work? Is this the way to get a $450 carrier unlocked iphone?
https://slickdeals.net/f/11327871-iphone-7-32gb-300-or-iphone-7-plus-32gb-420-best-buy?src=pdw

quote:

Hey Guys... Here are the steps I followed and I was able to get iPhone 7 32GB under $400 :-)

1) Went to Best Buy and purchased a new IPhone 32GB. Made a down payment of 325 for the phone. I request that I want the phone to be sealed. The sprint guy gave me a sealed box along with Spring SIM card.
2) After 30 mins I went to Sprint store to pay off the whole phone. Paid around $25/-
3) Drove to Apple Store and got Free Verizon Postpaid card. It took no more than 10 mins to get one.
4) Went to another BestBuy and purchased H2O SIM card. They have it for 9.99 but you can price match it with Amazon for $1.79/-
5) Came home, opened the iPhone box and inserted Verizon SIM and setup the phone. All went well
6) Took off verizon sim and inserted Sprint SIM. Phone was activated.
7) To make sure that the phone is unlocked, I added ATT SIM and made few calls. All went well. Phone is unlocked at this point.
8) Inserted Sprint SIM and made 2 calls. Went online and created a new account. I did this to track what services are there on my online account and the phone.
9) After few hours I went to H2O website for number porting. You do not need to buy credit... Just SIM is fine. Filled up the form and submitted.
10) I did not received confirmation email from H2O but after around 2 hours of submitting the H2O porting form, I could see that I can no longer receive calls on Sprint iPhone. I figured the number has been ported.
11) Next day I contacted H2O to find out whether the number has been ported or not. They CONFIRMED it has been ported. No need to buy credit from them
12) Initiated a chat on Sprint website. I checked with them whether the account has been closed. The rep confirmed the account is CLOSED and there is NO PAYMENT due.
13) Went on sprint website to confirm. There is No service attached.

All Goood here....
A New iPhone... UNLOCKED for under $400/..in 2 days-... sweeeeeettt

Thank you all

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

canyoneer posted:

OK, my wife has a dinosaur old iphone that needs to be replaced. I want to do this on the cheap, and want her to keep her mobile and stay on t-mobile.

I see that best buy is running some promotions on Sprint phones. An iphone 8 64gb for $18.74/mo x 24 months = $450.
Some dudes on slickdeals are saying you can buy the phone (SEALED), make sure they don't put a sprint sim in, pay off the phone, go get a verizon sim to unlock it, port the number to a prepaid service like h2o (which cancels the sprint billing), and then once the sprint service is ported/cancelled put in the old tmobile sim.
https://slickdeals.net/f/11327871-iphone-7-32gb-300-or-iphone-7-plus-32gb-420-best-buy?src=pdw

I’m sure it works. Seems like a huge pain in the rear end (for me) and Id just pay the extra to not deal with it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

I’m sure it works. Seems like a huge pain in the rear end (for me) and Id just pay the extra to not deal with it.

Definitely not worth it for $50, but for $250 it is tempting

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Last I checked I’m pretty sure sprint won’t unlock a postpaid phone unless it was active on a sprint account for 60 days. Could be wrong tho.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Last I checked I’m pretty sure sprint won’t unlock a postpaid phone unless it was active on a sprint account for 60 days. Could be wrong tho.

From reading the way its done it sounds like they are doing some computer fuckery to actually make it work. The steps seem to make sense though.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah I think there are a few key steps there. First is that the phone locks to the first carrier sim inserted, which is the Verizon one. Since that one effectively unlocks it, then you use the Sprint one.
Then to cancel your Sprint service you port the number to a prepaid plan from h2o.

So it never gets locked to Sprint, so they don't need to unlock it

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I got a cheapo iPhone SE around 8-9 months ago and Sprint unlocked it automatically like a day or two after paying it off (which was a day or two after buying the phone). No idea if it's changed since.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Khablam posted:

This is stupid.

You can only reset the iTunes backup encryption if the device is unlocked or you know the device passcode.

If you knew the device passcode in previous releases you were already able to unlock the device and image it without encryption. If you don’t have a passcode set or it was easily guessable, then the FDE was never in play to begin with for you. How exactly is iOS 11 any worse in this regard?

Just use touch/Face ID and set a not-guessable 6+ character passcode and you won’t have to worry about this.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

If they’re doing some jail breaking sure, but that sprint phone comes locked out the box. Doesn’t matter whether you remove the sprint SIM or not. Also, the sprint SIM is preinstalled.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Just ran in here to confirm what everyone else is saying, the PowerBeats 3 is super great.

Was passing by the Apple Store with some extra cash thanks to a recent holiday, tried on a pair of AirPods, nope no go, ears too mutated.

Tried a PowerBeats with the biggest earplugs, fit perfectly. When I brought it home, it was precharged to 84%. Paired automagically to my iPhone 8, manually to my rMBP and ATV, the sound is amazing, guess there's something to using that native AAC compression. The range is also superb. I've had them on all day on the initial charge from the factory, 12 hour battery life supposedly.

Definitely recommended if AirPods aren't a good fit for you.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

If they’re doing some jail breaking sure, but that sprint phone comes locked out the box. Doesn’t matter whether you remove the sprint SIM or not. Also, the sprint SIM is preinstalled.

Happy to report that this was not the case.
The phone sold to me had no SIM installed (because I asked specifically for them not to). It was taped to the outside of the factory sealed box. I followed the instructions and starting it up with a Verizon SIM the first time kept it from being locked.
Since then, I've used it with Sprint, Google Fi ,and T Mobile SIMs and it worked without any problems on all of them.

Thus far it seems like it's working fine, and I'm going to call that a good trade of about an hour and a half of my Saturday to save $250.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I want them to bring the gestures of the X to the 8. :saddowns:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I seriously hope the next iPhone has a better showing than this. Brutal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY4a0IPXotA

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

carry on then posted:

I seriously hope the next iPhone has a better showing than this. Brutal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY4a0IPXotA

What do you mean? I didn’t watch the whole video but the parts I saw the iPhone was faster. :confused:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

What do you mean? I didn’t watch the whole video but the parts I saw the iPhone was faster. :confused:

Towards the end the iPhone keeps reloading apps versus pulling them out of suspension. It looked really bad. No telling why it was happening. Even the YouTube reviewer seems surprised at what was going on. But otherwise yes, it was mostly a wash with each one beating the other by milliseconds on certain apps.

The S7 versus the 8 had Apple dominating and I don't think there's that much difference between the Snapdragon 835 and 845, so maybe Android is finally a well optimized OS.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

Happy to report that this was not the case.
The phone sold to me had no SIM installed (because I asked specifically for them not to). It was taped to the outside of the factory sealed box. I followed the instructions and starting it up with a Verizon SIM the first time kept it from being locked.
Since then, I've used it with Sprint, Google Fi ,and T Mobile SIMs and it worked without any problems on all of them.

Thus far it seems like it's working fine, and I'm going to call that a good trade of about an hour and a half of my Saturday to save $250.

Glad to hear it, obviously I’m just really surprised. That’s a poor play by Sprint then really, and I’m ok with sprint losing money because here terrible with operations.

Question: does an iPhone work with Google Fi, no issues?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You can't activate a Fi SIM on an iPhone out if you plop an activated one in an iPhone it'll work fine. I've even seen reports of it properly switching networks.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Krispy Wafer posted:

Towards the end the iPhone keeps reloading apps versus pulling them out of suspension. It looked really bad. No telling why it was happening.

I’m sorry but how does it look bad? Because as far as “tests” go I don’t see what the use case of having a dozen apps, 4 of them being games, needing to be loaded in memory at all times. But wait, my iPhone offloaded the phone app so I saw a white screen for a fraction of a second, between start shopping for a new phone. Like I multi task on my phone on a daily basis between 3-4 apps and off-loading is something I’ve never had an issue with or encountered when I’m actually swapping between stuff like email and PDF expert or BlueBeam.

The only app on iOS that has forever been a giant piece of poo poo when it comes to having to reload is Hearthstone.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m sorry but how does it look bad? Because as far as “tests” go I don’t see what the use case of having a dozen apps, 4 of them being games, needing to be loaded in memory at all times. But wait, my iPhone offloaded the phone app so I saw a white screen for a fraction of a second, between start shopping for a new phone. Like I multi task on my phone on a daily basis between 3-4 apps and off-loading is something I’ve never had an issue with or encountered when I’m actually swapping between stuff like email and PDF expert or BlueBeam.

The only app on iOS that has forever been a giant piece of poo poo when it comes to having to reload is Hearthstone.

It was more than a fraction of a second. Like a couple of seconds. And yeah, it's a First World problem, but it's annoying and probably shouldn't be occurring on Apple's current flagship phone. Like you said, it's usually a poorly coded app that does this, so it's odd to see multiple applications having to refresh repeatedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

maybe try using your phone in a different way