Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

A free and just society is not rendered hypocritical and without moral foundation by outlawing hate. The whole point of justice is the elimination and active combating of injustice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
Brandenburg v Ohio is a good ruling

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Punching nazis and attacking their rallies was extremely effective imo. It sent them into a year-long tailspin screaming "ANTIFA" at everything and everyone and declaring it a terrorist organization and so on. Think about how much energy these chuds wasted trying to discredit the antifa "brand" that could have been devoted to assaulting minorities

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Stickarts posted:

Chillyrabbit you're falling into the paradox of tolerance.

It has been posted like 500 times on these forums

And repetition hasn't made it less of a slippery-slope fallacy.

Typo posted:

Brandenburg v Ohio is a good ruling

:agreed:

Thank goodness most of the nonsense espoused in this thread has no chance of ever having any legal force behind it.

tagesschau fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 3, 2018

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Stickarts posted:

Is tagesschau feeling ~~minoritised~~?

Also also, can we please stop loving talking about JPB? Or at least wait longer than two weeks to forget about the last one? Cheese and fries...

That went quickly to :godwin: Never seen that before but I guess I have to disagree about the idea (feels like a slippery slope fallacy, but just having a fallacy doesn't make it a stupid idea) but I'll appease everyone else by not saying anything more.

infernal machines posted:

That's Richard Spencer, you can look up his name and judge for yourself.

Yeah when I googled him earlier one of the questions that came up on google was is he a white nationalist or a white supremacist, which are different apparently?

But thanks for everyone chiming in and discussing. I'm still undecided about the no-platforming but I can understand why you think its okay.

Chillyrabbit fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 3, 2018

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Deplatforming Nazis has also been very effective, where it's been done. By cutting them off from the mainstream, they're forced to only interact with each other and they can't stand each other so infighting quickly ensues. Normal people's curiosity and desire to try and convince them they're wrong gives them energy and momentum

Also why am I not surprised that the Reddit defender is also a Nazi speech defender

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 3, 2018

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

THC posted:

Also why am I not surprised that the Reddit defender is also a Nazi speech defender

Who in this thread is doing the latter?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

tagesschau posted:

Who in this thread is doing the latter?

It's you, you've defended both these things today, you utter imbecile.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

PT6A posted:

It's you, you've defended both these things today, you utter imbecile.

I've debunked the claim that every thread on Reddit necessarily devolves into bigotry. Please point out where I've specifically defended Nazi speech. And when you fail to do that, try to learn to read.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Kenney's common-sense plan for opioids: cancel harm reduction efforts, increase enforcement

https://twitter.com/jkenney/status/969653419009912832

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Chillyrabbit posted:

That went quickly to :godwin: Never seen that before but I guess I have to disagree about the idea (feels like a slippery slope fallacy, but just having a fallacy doesn't make it a stupid idea) but I'll appease everyone else by not saying anything more.

Yeah when I googled him earlier one of the questions that came up on google was is he a white nationalist or a white supremacist, which are different apparently?

But thanks for everyone chiming in and discussing. I'm still undecided about the no-platforming but I can understand why you think its okay.

There's lot of distinctions without a difference in the "alt-right" crowd, basically used to say "well I'm not an <x>, therefore your argument doesn't apply to me" and then go on to espouse some variety of racial or ethnic hatred. Words and labels are important but a lot of it comes down to trying to legitimize extremist views by not being a literal Nazi, just co-opting enough of their rhetoric or ideology as to make no difference.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

flakeloaf posted:

If you're standing around doing nothing while someone else is spreading a hateful message, I might wonder what's in your head.

I didn't mean to say that it is or isn't wise or ethical to shut down certain types of speech, just that that's the debate to be having in this case. If someone wants to make the case that people shouldn't try to stop Peterson from talking, it requires an argument other than "but his free speech rights", because it has nothing to do with his rights.

Personally I think these issues are pretty interesting and there aren't a lot of easy lines to be drawn, but I'm totally fine with people protesting or shouting down a worthless rear end in a top hat like Peterson because I think his views are repulsive and harmful. He has (and should have) the legal right to express his views, but the rest of us have the right to tell him to gently caress off.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 9, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

tagesschau posted:

I've debunked the claim that every thread on Reddit necessarily devolves into bigotry. Please point out where I've specifically defended Nazi speech. And when you fail to do that, try to learn to read.

Yes, hence you "defended" Reddit. I'm not particularly concerned about the particulars of that defence, because the truth is that it's a hellhole populated by libertarians, pedophiles and libertarian pedophiles. The merits of any specific argument that occurs there are unimportant.

You've defended JBP's speech, and he is basically a Nazi, ergo you have defended Nazi speech. Learn you a logic, or just gently caress off out of this thread since it's clear you're not wanted.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PT6A posted:

Yes, hence you "defended" Reddit. I'm not particularly concerned about the particulars of that defence, because the truth is that it's a hellhole populated by libertarians, pedophiles and libertarian pedophiles. The merits of any specific argument that occurs there are unimportant.

You've defended JBP's speech, and he is basically a Nazi, ergo you have defended Nazi speech. Learn you a logic, or just gently caress off out of this thread since it's clear you're not wanted.

A diversity of opinions can only make the thread stronger.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

PT6A posted:

holy gently caress haha

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

One of my uncles was ranting like "why should we help these people who chose to do heroin?"

His career for 25 years was marketing pills to doctors for GlaxoSmithKline :ughh:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 9, 2022

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
tbf reddit has gotten a lot better since the alt-right decamped to voat

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
meanwhile: voat

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I went to read the rules you guys are bickering about. They don't seem so much like new rules, but rather advice on how to conform with existing rules.

I'm happy that JP got shouted down and I'm happy the school didn't enforce their rules to stop the protesters with air horns. But come on, use your loving brains. If I walk into the anime club and blast my air horn so they can't hear Ghost in the Shell, they will call campus security and get me kicked out. Blasting an air horn to disrupt campus meetings is already against the rules. Obviously. It's not protected free speech. Go blast an air horn next to a cop's head and see how far the free speech defense gets you.

Good on McMaster for letting these protesters break the rules in this case. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

THC posted:

One of my uncles was ranting like "why should we help these people who chose to do heroin?"

His career for 25 years was marketing pills to doctors for GlaxoSmithKline :ughh:

Couldn't you point out to these sorts of people that stepping over corpses and used needles is unpleasant, and dealing with overdoses is a giant waste of medical resources and taxpayer money, and therefore supervised injection sites benefit them directly?

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

PT6A posted:

So I pointed out a bullshit argument from someone just pulling just-so stories out of their rear end and insisting on their unwavering truth? Pardon me if I don't go along with the religious dogma; I didn't think you would.

PT6A posted:

Please point out where I've used Peterson's name except to insult him, much less defended anything he's said. If I wanted to listen to people pretend to be experts on topics they know nothing about, I'd go downtown and have Pitbull tell me about the merits of real estate and Bitcoin.

tagesschau fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 3, 2018

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Jimbozig posted:

I went to read the rules you guys are bickering about. They don't seem so much like new rules, but rather advice on how to conform with existing rules.

I'm happy that JP got shouted down and I'm happy the school didn't enforce their rules to stop the protesters with air horns. But come on, use your loving brains. If I walk into the anime club and blast my air horn so they can't hear Ghost in the Shell, they will call campus security and get me kicked out. Blasting an air horn to disrupt campus meetings is already against the rules. Obviously. It's not protected free speech. Go blast an air horn next to a cop's head and see how far the free speech defense gets you.

Good on McMaster for letting these protesters break the rules in this case. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy.

freedom of speech for people I agree with: exactly what a university campus should be

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Typo posted:

meanwhile: voat

please don't

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Time to get out the voat

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Chillyrabbit posted:

You're way too naive.

And there isn't a difference between white nationalists and white supremacists. They're just trying to say they're the former and not the latter because the latter has negative connotations. These fuckers will just change terminology every now and then once the old one is considered too tainted to stick by. Sure, there might be some people too naive to realize that white nationalism is just a cover for white supremacy but they're happy to call themselves a white nationalist, then they chose that path for themselves.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Here's a list of things that wouldn't be possible without Jesus Jordan b Peterson

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Wait

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009
Justin Trudeau would lose if an election were held tomorrow, India trip a symptom of shift in mood: Ipsos poll

CPC:38
LPC:33
NDP:21
GRN:5

I blame the Bhangra dancing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

How the gently caress does Scheer have any support at all, he's a useless idiot

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

CLAM DOWN posted:

Because party and identity politics really don’t care about who is currently the useful idiot appointed as leader.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

infernal machines posted:

Time to get out the voat

pokemon go to the voating booth

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Which polling company is the one that consistently overestimates the Tories' numbers?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's because he's a bland palatable idiot.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

tagesschau posted:

Which polling company is the one that consistently overestimates the Tories' numbers?

Forum. Something to do with their weighting of conservative voters as essentially 100% guaranteed to vote versus lesser weighting for liberal/NDP I think.

Chillyrabbit posted:

It's because he's a bland palatable idiot.

Your average suburban dad

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 3, 2018

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/TheTyee/status/969724778201272321

Bearstrong
Apr 11, 2014

Satan Lives

Chillyrabbit posted:

Yeah I guess I'm just being naive in the sense that in the ideal perfect world, logical and rational people (HA) would be swayed by reasonable arguments that are backed up by sound evidence so that you would be on the "right" side

Yes, you are being naive, or willfully dense.
Also the notion of "rational" people is dumb stemlord crap. Nobody is fully rational or even close to.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PT6A posted:

You've been tolerated in this thread for far longer despite being far more vile, gently caress off

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Username / post combo :discourse: also gently caress that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i could watch that gif all day