Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Long answer:

Those appear to be mainly limited to RF, composite, S-Video, and the like for inputs, from a quick glance. Video quality will probably be fine, it's old Sony. So limited, not ideal if they don't also have YPbPr/component inputs in the mix, and definitely not worth more than $10 maximum without.

It's a relative question, anyway.

Do you have any CRT TVs currently? If so, what brand, model line, size, inputs, video standards (NTSC/PAL/SECAM god forbid), and so on?

What consoles are you looking to hook up to a CRT TV, what are the best video quality formats / upgrades they can accept or use, what video format standard is your available hardware?

Finally, do you view having a CRT as something of a long term commitment, or are you just looking for something quick and basic to dip your toes in with?

How you answer those questions will kind of flowchart if a particular CRT is right for you or if it will be a back-breaking electronic white elephant you should avoid.

Thanks for detailed answer. Looking to dip my toes and see if this interest sticks. Currently do not own any CRTs but I have a decent PSX collection that I've built since I was a kid. My original PSX died long time ago and only recently bought another one. It would be for casual messing around. I don't want anything larger than 20", ideally I can place it next to my main PC monitor.

I think I'm okay with the regular yellow and white connectors as long as the picture is acceptable. Plugging in the Playstation to a modern LCD TV was pretty crappy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Howard Phillips posted:

Thanks for detailed answer. Looking to dip my toes and see if this interest sticks. Currently do not own any CRTs but I have a decent PSX collection that I've built since I was a kid. My original PSX died long time ago and only recently bought another one. It would be for casual messing around. I don't want anything larger than 20", ideally I can place it next to my main PC monitor.

I think I'm okay with the regular yellow and white connectors as long as the picture is acceptable. Plugging in the Playstation to a modern LCD TV was pretty crappy.

I'd still hold out for a model that at least includes S-Video inputs (the 4-pin DIN plug) along with composite, as a minimum. And definitely drive a hard bargain from anyone that you get it from, because they're not the ones responsible for loading it up, hauling it home, lugging it inside into position, and ultimately dealing with its ultimate fate.

And that kind of display would probably suit your basic needs for the future, because the trend so far seems to be FPGA-based hardware recreations (or cycle-accurate emulation) of vintage hardware adapted to work on modern video display tech. So there might be good options available for expanding your beginning exploration from, compared to the constant treadmill of chasing quality improvements out of ever more retro hardware a lot of us have gone through,

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
S-video is fine for 16bit, not tried PSX that way, just forget composite (yellow RCA) because s-video will be several leagues above. If it won't physically bust back nor shelves, go for it. CRTs are already history.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
try and find a crt with at least s-video, it's such a marked improvement over composite

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Even if you don't have any consoles that support S-Video for some reason, it's good to have a TV that supports S-Video because it'll mean it was at least a mid-range set when it was new. This'll bode well for overall picture quality and long-term reliability.

Of course as things stand right now, the only CRT I actually have is a 9-inch Philips color set that doesn't even have stereo composite input, but since the only physical consoles I have right now that don't play nice with a LCD TV are Famiclones and an Atari 7800, it doesn't really matter, they don't need stereo.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Elliotw2 posted:

This is part of why they do the hosed up new assets and blur filters on the FF mobile ports. Unsurprisingly, it's hard to make pixel art actually look good on phones.

It really isn't. For crisp pixels I've found scaling the screen by x4 or x5 with no filtering and then scaling that image down to whatever the native display resolution is using bilinear works best. It gives fairly good results for a wide array of low resolution modes with no distracting shimmer.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

My CRT is a poo poo rear end Panasonic with built-in VCR and mono composite that I got from my neighbor when she moved. I’m moving into my new house soon so it seems like the perfect time to upgrade

general chaos
May 20, 2001
I am going to be picking up a Trinitron soon (KV-27FV16) and I plan on connecting a PS2, original Xbox, Wii, Dreamcast and Saturn

I've never dealt with a flat panel CRT before, but I had heard they could have some geometry issues. How can I test this and is there anything else I should be looking at before I pack it up?

And is there a recommended shop/brand for S-video cables for the Dreamcast and Saturn?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

general chaos posted:

I am going to be picking up a Trinitron soon (KV-27FV16) and I plan on connecting a PS2, original Xbox, Wii, Dreamcast and Saturn

I've never dealt with a flat panel CRT before, but I had heard they could have some geometry issues. How can I test this and is there anything else I should be looking at before I pack it up?

And is there a recommended shop/brand for S-video cables for the Dreamcast and Saturn?

A basic grid test pattern will easily reveal geometry problems. Artemio's 240p suite has it if you have access to a flash cart or Dreamcast/Sega CD.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Be careful when adjusting geometry in the TV's service menu. It's surprisingly easy to permanently gently caress up your TV with those settings

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfFM5lTEOMs

It's time to learn about modding the Saturn.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
this is too much work

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Voultar’s gonna start selling pre-modded Saturns soon, maybe I’ll finally get one. I’ve never even played one I don’t think but the library seems worth delving into.

Have a KV 27FS101 and I really like it. Good quality scanlines. Imperfect geometry but not the kind of stuff you notice when you’re not looking for it. Also it handles 480i really well I’ve found, so if it has YPbPr and you’re a PS2 fan I’d say go for it.

As far as smaller CRTs go, I just played on a friend’s Toshiba 14AF42 the other day and it looked great. There’s something to be said for the way smaller consumer sets have deeper, more striking color, especially when they have all the hookup options. If I were just starting out I’d probably go that route.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Does the OSSC still have weird issues with getting audio into the HDMI cable? Or (if I'm reading this right) as of its 1.6 revision that mod is now included in the thing itself? Does this mean only a single regular output HDMI connection is required?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I just picked up a GBA SP. I would like to replace the battery, anyone have recommendations for a replacement?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I guess I got some dates tonight. :wink:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Nate RFB posted:

Does the OSSC still have weird issues with getting audio into the HDMI cable? Or (if I'm reading this right) as of its 1.6 revision that mod is now included in the thing itself? Does this mean only a single regular output HDMI connection is required?

Current OSSC revision has audio through HDMI now. It was a long running request and the guy finally caved.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Current OSSC revision has audio through HDMI now. It was a long running request and the guy finally caved.
That certainly makes it more likely I'll cave some day on getting one day. Especially if I ever get a 4k TV (I'm actually not sure how my current model would handle 720p for upscaling...probably find but I'm sure it's still worse than native 1080p).

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Can anyone point me to a good HDMI to SDI adaptor for use with a multiformat PVM?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Cornflakes posted:

Can anyone point me to a good HDMI to SDI adaptor for use with a multiformat PVM?

The AJA HA5 Plus is a pretty standard professional converter:

https://www.amazon.com/AJA-HA5-Plus...ords=aja+ha5+3g

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Cornflakes posted:

The AJA unit that FanaticalMilk linked is probably the best bet; SDI is pretty niche and used more for CCTV, professional photography, video production and all of that than any sort of consumer use.

Also keep in mind that there are varying SDI standards for SD and HD video, so double-check just what standard(s) the PVM in question (or its add-in boards) might support.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Does Twin Galaxies need to add a new category of high scores made by AI?

https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2018/2/28/17062338/ai-agent-atari-q-bert-cracked-bug-cheat

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mariooncrack posted:

I just picked up a GBA SP. I would like to replace the battery, anyone have recommendations for a replacement?

Just buy any of the ones out there, it's a very common type. You can probably even go over to your local Batteries Plus to pick one up if their site's any indication.

falz posted:

Does Twin Galaxies need to add a new category of high scores made by AI?

https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2018/2/28/17062338/ai-agent-atari-q-bert-cracked-bug-cheat

That bot's trick is specifically banned by Twin Galaxies, since you're supposed to make progress and not hang around on a "finished" screen/level overly long just to rack up points.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
So I picked up a VA1.8 Genesis 2 off eBay a few weeks ago and finally got it to work. The problem was the usual fiddly cartridge port plus a corroded trace (maybe due to cat piss) on the RAM -> VDP bus (RAM -> Cartridge was fine).

Corroded traces:

I patched the bad trace (RAM pin 36) by scraping it back, tinning up a resistor leg and then swearing at my tweezers, bad eyesight and stock Hakko chisel tip until it stuck.

Underside, showing magical ability of cat piss to remove solder from the registration marks on the board:

Runs Puyo Puyo 2, no problems:

I know everyone hates on the VA1.8 but it's literally all I've known. Somehow I've ended up with five of these things including my original childhood Genesis.

The cartridge slot needed a lot of fiddling with dentist's tools and I think one of the pins is probably stuck in a bad way since it still seems touchy. Probably will replace it with one of the card slots from Digikey, and then maybe a Mega Amp?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 2, 2018

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
WHY?

That’s all I can say regarding a region modded saturn. You can patch isos or use a 4-in-1 and save yourself a chunk of change. Waste of time. The mod chip is one wire.

Regarding crts just find a pic of a tv you’re interested in and post on your local craigslist wtb section. I got a 27” sony wega for free doing this.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

flyboi posted:

WHY?

That’s all I can say regarding a region modded saturn. You can patch isos or use a 4-in-1 and save yourself a chunk of change. Waste of time. The mod chip is one wire.

Regarding crts just find a pic of a tv you’re interested in and post on your local craigslist wtb section. I got a 27” sony wega for free doing this.

Both of these are really good tips! However, if you lifted the wega yourself, that’s not free, homey, that’s labor.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Huh, it turns out I never actually did throw all my game cases and manuals away. They just vanished into my dad's hoarder apartment a decade ago.

Almost everything I ever thought I lost is found. :psyduck:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Both of these are really good tips! However, if you lifted the wega yourself, that’s not free, homey, that’s labor.

I just had to help carry it out the door. A 27" is 100 lbs. I spend more labor trying to get groceries from parking into my apartment.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

flyboi posted:

WHY?

Back in the late 1990s I remember people having their systems modded because they maintained that the 4-in-1 carts were unreliable bootleg garbage. I only ever had a few issues with the 4-in-1s, and that might stem from the Saturn's cartridge slot itself wearing out over time.

A friend region-modded my Saturn and found a spiderweb inside, so that made it worth the effort.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The only problem I've had with my 4-in-1 cart is that the Saturn cart port is really loose, so I just taped a bit of cardboard to the back of the cart and it's all fine now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A wild successful kickstarter appears!!!

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Nice! Mine is still in the mail, but it should arrive pretty soon. Have you done any tactile feel of its stick or any button pressing, to see how it all feels?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I will tonight and I’ll report back

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I should have 2 showing up tomorrow, then I’m waiting for the colored ones to show up so I can grab 2 more if they’re good. I’ve heard good things so far.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I took mine out of the box, build quality seems good so far. The memory cart release on mine is a little janky feeling, but other than that it seems solid.

E: it’s also weird that the Z triggers are actual analog feeling triggers instead of clicky buttons. They have a decently long pull to them too.

Hopefully they register a button press right at the start of the pull, otherwise it’ll be really obnoxious to have to do a full trigger pull to use the Z button.

Dpad feels good, only real gameplay will tell for sure though.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 3, 2018

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Dpad feels good, only real gameplay will tell for sure though.

*sighing* Guess it's gonna be a long five years until we have a verdict, then...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I mean it’s n64 so even if he dpad sucks it’s only a problem in like menus and whatnot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I mean it’s n64 so even if he dpad sucks it’s only a problem in like menus and whatnot.

Woah there, it matters a whole lot for Mischief Makers and Sin and Punishment! :goonsay:

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Some of us play Kirby 64

Also you can use the Dpad in the Tony Hawk games, it works pretty well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
The only games I remember using the dpad for were the AKI wrestling games.