Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

"Those horrible status quo centrists constantly call me Berniebro, along with all the PoC, queer, and trans Bernie supporters, so I'm going to go vote for the candidate who is the complete opposite of everything he stands for!!!!!" - said literally no one who is a serious Bernie supporter

They either didn't vote, voted Stein or, to a lesser extent, Johnson. At least they, mostly, dropped that stupid crap and just call you a Russian bot or plant now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Psh. People talking about Rose of Versailles and no one brings up Le Chevalier d'Eon!?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://twitter.com/KyleKallgren/status/969400472338685954

https://twitter.com/ClickHole/status/969277478039621634

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Anybody who complains about how those mean old minorities bullied them out of being an ally never actually cared in the first place

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's also a strawman that liberals like to accuse actual leftists of being.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

It's not like much is going to happen. I mean, it's almost like how Trump made one of the most direct statements against the NRA in years but like anything's going to happen from it and jeezus I'm really drunk and don't listen to anything I say ever

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Max Wilco posted:

Every time I see Tera brought up, I think of that BroTeam video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQethZBldHs

"So you play as bear, nature's bro. 'Onwards brothers, I must shed more blood with my BEAR hands.'"

"But it was too late, Ganon already filled the boat with Aryans. ARYANS!"

Their like, three part Tera vids were the literal only good content ever made using Tera.

BEAR SQUAD.

Also tying into previous topics, Bro Team will always be my example of someone who's actual world views I find gross as gently caress but I like their content and it's usually free enough of them for me to ignore it.

Kim Justice posted:

It's not like much is going to happen. I mean, it's almost like how Trump made one of the most direct statements against the NRA in years but like anything's going to happen from it and jeezus I'm really drunk and don't listen to anything I say ever

Yea, there's not much that will happen without some actual reason to moral panic. Like, if he had some actual connection to gaming beyond 'he was a 19 year old of course he played video games probably' maybe there'd be more of a moral panic but no one gives a poo poo about this fight and Trump is clearly just trying to pivot away to NRA approved messaging like 'IT'S THE CULTURE OF VIOLENCE'

I forgot what twitter lefty said it but if you take Trump away from the white nationalists like Miller long enough he just becomes a bored new york democrat mom trying to do something about those gosh darn violent movies and games because they have nothing better to do.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Judge Tesla posted:

Idiot on social media indeed, Trump's been very vocal about not liking violent video games for a long time.

https://twitter.com/carolynmichelle/status/969309122880417792
https://twitter.com/anitasarkeesian/status/969344502589677569

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwxdBiazu8M

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

So a couple pages ago somebody was asking about Big Joel? I've been getting his recommendations after watching his video on Logan Paul. I haven't found anything too out there. His video on God's Not Dead was good. He seems like a cool guy.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Noah Caldwell Gervais covers Planescape: Torment and Torment: Tides of Numenera

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

FoldableHuman posted:

Well, I wouldn't quite put it that way, since that would have been like inheriting a dead hippo: large, useless, and will probably cost you more than it's worth.

Okay, well maybe "DOMINATED THE MARKET" is a *bit* overboard. Sure they'd be some deadweight, though the $60/year entry fee might have kept most of the worst of the worst at bay. Those who did come over and thrive would have been a nice bump in their income. Of course, that's all predicated on the idea that, years ago, they had a feature that they only implemented now plus a feature I made up in my head. So we're REALLY into theory land.

FoldableHuman posted:

Vimeo has been very careful with its growth, focusing heavily on original content creatives who value quality over other factors like discoverability. They want indie documentarians, not Fanservice Fiesta. They are basically Blip's antithesis.

Or, well, okay, Blip didn't want Fanservice Fiesta either.

I think they have an untapped market there; people like me. I have the $60/year Plus subscription, which gives me 5GB per week and 250GB max storage. My main two use cases are:

1) Upload dance & rehearsal videos. Short 2-3 minute videos of my dance classes routines. They're behind a private link, and I embed the video wherever people are watching it this year (we currently have a Facebook page). The videos all contain (background, tinny, lovely quality) copyrighted music-- though the studio DOES pay a license fee to use those songs, but that's beside the point. If I put that on YouTube, it gets insta-blocked and no one can watch it. I put it on Vimeo, and they have a sane copyright policy, so it DOESN'T get insta-blocked.

2) Upload videos of my daughter doing cute things. Again, behind a private link and posted to the "friends&family" Facebook page. I don't have to rely on Facebook hosting / mining / stealing the content and my daughter appearing in some Facebook ad for some reason. For friends and family, an embed shows up and it Just Works.

So while I'm not a massive content creator or documentarian, they can rely on me paying my fee every year, and using them to host & play small video files. The fact that they also now have the "push to Youtube" feature, which means if I ever did want to risk putting out a disposable mirror of the video to my YouTube channel without caring if it gets taken down or not, that's a nice bonus.

I also certainly see the usecase for someone like Todd who a) already has a nice following b) is supported by Patreon c) the nature of his videos means YouTube will instantly demonotize or block them, so there's no real income stream coming from YouTube anyways.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Speaking of Blip, I couldn't find Brad Jones' "A Serbian Film" review. I guess it never made it over. Or has been blocked or deleted because "omg advertizers".

Phelous' review is still up, and there's only a fan-mirror / unauthorized upload of BHH.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

hehehehehe

https://twitter.com/itstherapcritic/status/969602827260715009

Rap Critic posted:

Man, I can only one day *dream* of getting as many apologists swooping to my defense should *I* say something as dumb as boogie said in his "character".

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Boogie is...uh, kinda unavoury when push comes to shove. For lots of reasons.

I looked and saw what Rap Critic's tweet about him was in relation to, and it kinda seems like he literally only decided to have any opinion on Donald Trump whatsoever when he said something bad about MUH VIDYA, which is...um, pretty lol. Like, surely you'd have something of an opinion of him before this, of some description whether it's bad or good. It's not like he's been just sitting in the Oval Office masturbating for all this time...jeez, I'm not even American and I could probably give you an essay about the guy. His unpredictability alone (again, the almost sit me down on the bed-shock of him making a statement about gun control and the NRA that was comically at odds with his own party's stance, leaving them reeling for six and being like "errrr wait a minute wtf" was really something else) should give you some strong 'puhnions...and yet Boogie only springs into action when it's THE VIDYA. Really? Like I know he's literally the biggest fence-sitter on the entire Internet but come the eff on dude.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The top tending gamer award from the VGAs continue to pick winners, it seems!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Kim Justice posted:

Boogie is...literally the biggest fence-sitter on the entire Internet but come the eff on dude.

He's actually lost a lot of weight! So good for him.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

WHY BONER NOW posted:

He's actually lost a lot of weight! So good for him.

Not what I think they meant by "biggest."

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Conal Cochran posted:

Not what I think they meant by "biggest."

help what are jokes

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
how ironic, boogie finally loses weight, yet he's still a huge piece of poo poo

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

cat doter posted:

how ironic, boogie finally loses weight, yet he's still a huge piece of poo poo

Isn't this the same dude who couldn't even bring himself to call out Jontron and Sargon?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Ash Crimson posted:

Isn't this the same dude who couldn't even bring himself to call out Jontron and Sargon?

He's the 'typical centrist' caricature that people joke about given life.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

What pisses me off about this is the two responses i'm seeing are.

1: Shut up bitch, this is what you wanted.

or

2: This is your fault.

gently caress Gamers.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ash Crimson posted:

yea see Sargon and Jontron just have opinions, and you can't FORCE someone to not have an opinion. Maybe if we'd just talk with them with logic and reason they'd understand their errors. It's like in the West Wing where :suicide:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

yea see Sargon and Jontron just have opinions, and you can't FORCE someone to not have an opinion. Maybe if we'd just talk with them with logic and reason they'd understand their errors. It's like in the West Wing where :suicide:

Forgive me for being ignorant but what is, or what should be appropriate response? Should be be put in prison? Should they be exiled or something? Should they just be executed? I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything, but if debate/discussion/convincing is not a viable option, then what other course of action do you take?

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Boogie is 1: Far too afraid of saying anything that would risk pissing off any of his fans (which is not to say that his fans lean any way politically at all - he just doesn't want to piss off any of them while also still making 'pinion videos, essentially having his cake and eating it) and 2: Very self-centred and really quite passive aggressive to boot. It's not a nice combination at all. I understand that he didn't exactly have the best life (pretty far from it) before YouTube but he has some qualities that are really unpleasant when they come to the surface.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Lindsay Ellis has a new video about monster boyfriends

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Max Wilco posted:

Forgive me for being ignorant but what is, or what should be appropriate response? Should be be put in prison? Should they be exiled or something? Should they just be executed? I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything, but if debate/discussion/convincing is not a viable option, then what other course of action do you take?

yes, we should literally murder them, we should drag them out of their house, shove a pistol in their mouth, and gun them down in the streets as an example of wrongthink.

No you loving goober, you should call them racist assholes and ignore them, don't engage in 'debate' with them because it is often not a 'debate' at all. There's no loving 'debate' about 'well you know the richest black person still does more crime than the richest white person' or whatever JT was rambling about because it's loving fake and he's an idiot.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

BigRed0427 posted:

What pisses me off about this is the two responses i'm seeing are.

1: Shut up bitch, this is what you wanted.

or

2: This is your fault.

gently caress Gamers.

I called a bunch of them contrarians because they'd eat this poo poo up from literally anyone else and all the excuses came out.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
alternate option:

we should put them all on their own island with its own internet and let them 'debate' each other in quarantine away from us. If you wanna go to Dipshit Island and engage that's fine but you can't use the real person internet to promote it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it'd be, like, a nice island. Not Hawaiian resort level but a minor pacific island free of poo poo like panthers.

Maybe a few wild boar.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Kim Justice posted:

Boogie is 1: Far too afraid of saying anything that would risk pissing off any of his fans (which is not to say that his fans lean any way politically at all - he just doesn't want to piss off any of them while also still making 'pinion videos, essentially having his cake and eating it) and 2: Very self-centred and really quite passive aggressive to boot. It's not a nice combination at all. I understand that he didn't exactly have the best life (pretty far from it) before YouTube but he has some qualities that are really unpleasant when they come to the surface.

Boogie seems to pull a lot of the same crowd as Angry Joe, except that Joe's actually willing to tell people to hit the bricks once in a while, plus has called out racist poo poo online.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

The main problem of debate is that the alt-right tend not to debate in good faith, so it just turns into another stage for them. The appropriate action is to deplatform as much as possible and only address the ideas separately, rather than in reply to them specifically.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Not a nice thing to say about Todd.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I see Starscream behind you, Lindsay. Nice.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

2: Very self-centred and really quite passive aggressive to boot. It's not a nice combination at all.

I remember recently he had an absolute meltdown over an awkward and otherwise innocuous greenroom encounter with Anita Sarkeesian at VidCon because she said something to him that 99% of the sane, non-Gamergate adjacent population wouldn't give a second thought to. Yet he took it as a direct attack and insult against him and had an extended multi-day heaving public panic attack over it until she was force to apologize almost in embarrassment for him.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Boogie's biggest issue is he thinks his middle ground stance is actually very brave, and thus as a brave warrior for reason and Fair Debate he's actually under siege 24/7 by both sides, so when anyone says 'shut up dude that's dumb' he thinks he's being targeted in CULTURE WAR 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

yes, we should literally murder them, we should drag them out of their house, shove a pistol in their mouth, and gun them down in the streets as an example of wrongthink.

No you loving goober, you should call them racist assholes and ignore them, don't engage in 'debate' with them because it is often not a 'debate' at all. There's no loving 'debate' about 'well you know the richest black person still does more crime than the richest white person' or whatever JT was rambling about because it's loving fake and he's an idiot.
Jesus, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you angry.

Puppy Time posted:

The main problem of debate is that the alt-right tend not to debate in good faith, so it just turns into another stage for them. The appropriate action is to deplatform as much as possible and only address the ideas separately, rather than in reply to them specifically.

That makes sense. In my mind, it just came across like there was some you needed actively do in order to deescalate or deal with alt-right people. Ignoring them sounds fine, and I was already doing that anyway! :thumbsup:

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

I remember recently he had an absolute meltdown over an awkward and otherwise innocuous greenroom encounter with Anita Sarkeesian at VidCon because she said something to him that 99% of the sane, non-Gamergate adjacent population wouldn't give a second thought to. Yet he took it as a direct attack and insult against him and had an extended multi-day heaving public panic attack over it until she was force to apologize almost in embarrassment for him.

That was just such a clusterfuck on a grand scale, one where it's hard to take any positives from anything...God, Vidcon 2017 was a glorious maelstrom of drama and salt that you simply couldn't keep up with all of it. Who else remembers the Instagram douche shouting at the security guard? Sargon triumphantly going onto Joe Rogan only to be taken the piss out of? All the brunch pics? I can't wait for the next one.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Is there anyone on YouTube who is conservative but at least like pretends not to be racist or maybe expresses some disapproval of alt right guys.

Not going to watch them just wondering if everyone is dumb and goddamn crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

Boogie's biggest issue is he thinks his middle ground stance is actually very brave, and thus as a brave warrior for reason and Fair Debate he's actually under siege 24/7 by both sides, so when anyone says 'shut up dude that's dumb' he thinks he's being targeted in CULTURE WAR 2018

• Locked thread