Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Goblins own.

Leofish posted:

I bet the Ascians would have an easier time of tricking people if that spooky music didn't play everywhere they went.

Them being too dumb to capitalize on the Warrior of Light's weakness at multiple points doesn't help either. At least Nabriales tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Goblins own.

Them being too dumb to capitalize on the Warrior of Light's weakness at multiple points doesn't help either. At least Nabriales tried.

Yeah, and he got merked for it. It's no wonder that immortal entities like the Ascians backed off after that.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

There's still like 11 big man Ascians for us to kill and an unknown number of junior varsity Ascians, it's gonna take forever if they just hide in another dimension the whole time.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

apostateCourier posted:

Yeah, and he got merked for it. It's no wonder that immortal entities like the Ascians backed off after that.

Okay, but Ioergawhatever traps the Warrior of Light in fetters after the fight with Bismarck, has them completely helpless, remarks on their lost powers, and then leaves without doing a drat thing. :argh:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Thundarr posted:

There's still like 11 big man Ascians for us to kill and an unknown number of junior varsity Ascians, it's gonna take forever if they just hide in another dimension the whole time.

We're gonna liberate the gently caress out of that dimension once Garlemald is over with.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Okay, but Ioergawhatever traps the Warrior of Light in fetters after the fight with Bismarck, has them completely helpless, remarks on their lost powers, and then leaves without doing a drat thing. :argh:

Fetters and binds are normally broken by incoming damage or forced movement, if they tried to kill the WoL or throw them off the island it would break the effect and they'd get dunked on. :eng101:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Nidhogg was definitely wronged and was rightfully angry, but his plan was to be forever angry at all of humanity. That's the sort of plan that just begs for someone to come and kill you.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

SonicRulez posted:

Nidhogg was definitely wronged and was rightfully angry, but his plan was to be forever angry at all of humanity. That's the sort of plan that just begs for someone to come and kill you.

Really just all of Ishgard.

But even so, taking revenge on someone's children is not actually justice.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SonicRulez posted:

It never got outright stated but I sort of feel like this was Nidhogg's goal, at least on some level.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Nessus posted:

It never got outright stated but I sort of feel like this was Nidhogg's goal, at least on some level.

It was outright stated that he was deliberately prolonging the war just to make the Ishgardians suffer. IIRC It was this knowledge that was the final trigger to make Ysale commit to your cause, because Nidhogg wasn't interested in justice or vengeance, just rage and spite

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nessus posted:

His true goal's a little obtuse, but you can eventually piece it together from what you gather in Heavensward: He's fighting a constant war not merely because he likes watching humans die, but because he knows the long, grinding, generational war he inflicts will gradually cause more and more people to switch sides to the heretics. Because everyone in Ishgard is descended from the Knights Twelve who partook in Ratatoskr's eye, they have draconic blood that can be awakened with a sip of the real thing, which is what happens to those transforming heretics you see. He wants to inflict the ultimate humiliation on Ishgard: not merely defeating them in battle, but turning the entirety of its living population into the very things they despise.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've also finally made it to Heavensward, and the main thing I was thinking throughout the ARR was that it would be really handy if the game remembered I was playing a white mage who keeps raise, benediction, and esuna on the skill bar at all times.

Christ what a slog 2.X was, though. So much pointless busywork, my real "favorite" being the "find four cunningly hidden people/items tucked away in the most obscure places we can think of in this big red circle" quests, and even plots that were interesting in themselves like Leviathan and Good King Moggle Mogg XII felt more like sidequests in how short and disconnected from everything else they were.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

I just hope we get to smite The Twelve eventually. Byregot must pay for all those 99% = NQ crafts.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Nill posted:

I just hope we get to smite The Twelve eventually. Byregot must pay for all those 99% = NQ crafts.

*fucks up at work*
*blames god*

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cythereal posted:

I've also finally made it to Heavensward, and the main thing I was thinking throughout the ARR was that it would be really handy if the game remembered I was playing a white mage who keeps raise, benediction, and esuna on the skill bar at all times.

Christ what a slog 2.X was, though. So much pointless busywork, my real "favorite" being the "find four cunningly hidden people/items tucked away in the most obscure places we can think of in this big red circle" quests, and even plots that were interesting in themselves like Leviathan and Good King Moggle Mogg XII felt more like sidequests in how short and disconnected from everything else they were.
Something to keep in mind with the post-MSQ patch quests is that they were initially released in a serial form and for a few months at a time Leviathan or perhaps even Good King Moggle Mog were endgame.

Now yes, who cares, should've been good instead, why is it poo poo, etc. but I think keeping that in mind may help you gear your experience to be even better.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Cythereal posted:

Playing as a ninja through the Stormblood MSQ this got really frustrating. Lots of NPCs talking about "the shinobi" sneaking around and doing cool ninja stuff while you stand around and wait. It got bad enough (and the NIN questgiver incompetent enough) that I had to reinstall Mark of the Ninja just to let me actually BE a ninja instead of whatever the WoL is supposed to be.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Leviathan and Moogle Mogg are clunky exposition dumps that are there to tell you that people with the Echo can become effectively immortal and that Primals can be formed based on anyone of enough importance and not merely cultural gods/goddesses. I think the general arc of the MSQ for 2.X, especially early on, was a consequence of the game's unprecedented development cycle. I sincerely doubt that they'd managed to write out a complete story for the 2.X patch cycle by the time the game released, so there was some scrambling early on to just get anything out considering what a runaway success the game had become.

Even if the quests don't get much better, the writing picks up a fair bit around 2.3. It's when they go from monster-of-the-week writing to setting up the Crystal Braves and slowly getting some character development going for some of the main cast. I still think the writing quality's patchy, even at the end, and then it starts picking up again in Heavensward. There's still some clunkers, but HW genuinely remains one of my favorite linear RPG stories, and it's probably the only MMO storyline I'd be glad to play through again (aside from the loving Moogle quests).

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

You're so sneaky they don't recognize you as a ninja duh.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Mymla posted:

*fucks up at work*
*blames god*

*kills god*
*still fucks up at work*
*feels slightly better about it*

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Everyone should play/Let's Play Mark of the Ninja.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Thundarr posted:

The ascians should just hang out in the shadow realm until the WoL dies of old age and THEN take over the world

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

ChaseSP posted:

If only they weren't cackling demons they may be more successful.

What part of

screams “I know how to be subtle” to you?

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Vermain posted:

Leviathan and Moogle Mogg are clunky exposition dumps that are there to tell you that people with the Echo can become effectively immortal and that Primals can be formed based on anyone of enough importance and not merely cultural gods/goddesses. I think the general arc of the MSQ for 2.X, especially early on, was a consequence of the game's unprecedented development cycle. I sincerely doubt that they'd managed to write out a complete story for the 2.X patch cycle by the time the game released, so there was some scrambling early on to just get anything out considering what a runaway success the game had become.

Even if the quests don't get much better, the writing picks up a fair bit around 2.3. It's when they go from monster-of-the-week writing to setting up the Crystal Braves and slowly getting some character development going for some of the main cast. I still think the writing quality's patchy, even at the end, and then it starts picking up again in Heavensward. There's still some clunkers, but HW genuinely remains one of my favorite linear RPG stories, and it's probably the only MMO storyline I'd be glad to play through again (aside from the loving Moogle quests).

I've just finished the 3.x story and really enjoyed Heavensward. My only major complaint is the resolution to the Nanamo stuff was pretty underwhelming. I feel like they backed themselves into a corner- you can't actually be exiled from Ul'dah for gameplay reasons, so if the story tries to keep up this 'hero in exile' thing it's going to feel really forced. But it was like, show up and everything's back to normal in the span of one conversation.
I think Final Steps of Faith has to be my favorite fight I've done so far (even if I killed the entire group with the soak mechanic. Sure, target the new player first, that's great). Honestly, the first Steps of Faith fight was also pretty neat. They've been pretty good on big dragonfights. I feel like this game in general does a good job on big, 'epic' fights.

Fingers crossed for Stormblood.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And of course the instant you meet a female NPC during the AST intro quest she's threatened with rape and being sold into sexual slavery.

Way to go, Squeenix, I get it you wanted me to hate that lady.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Vitamean posted:

Last night during O7S my finger slipped and I accidentally hit the key next to my Surecast bind.

This is how I was reminded that Tether is a skill that Red Mage has.

have you considered putting a second surecast binding there?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I feel the same re: Ul'dah events and Final Steps of Faith.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I was actually ok with the Why of the resolution to the Ul'dah stuff, it's the How of wrapping the whole thing up in a single cutscene that annoyed me. Lolorito wanted things back the way they were before Teledji hosed everything up and had to carefully juggle the pieces to avoid breaking Ul'dah the rest of the way. He could have sweat it out gradually over a much longer period of time though. Meanwhile your access to Ul'dah is easily explained by "nobody you bump into actually believes you are a criminal so they cover for you".

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Cythereal posted:

And of course the instant you meet a female NPC during the AST intro quest she's threatened with rape and being sold into sexual slavery.

Way to go, Squeenix, I get it you wanted me to hate that lady.

I mean literally the first DRK quest has you kicking down the door of the Inquisition and murdering a bunch of people who tried to rape some woman

RME
Feb 20, 2012

the gear from all those dungeons you raided in the meantime had no one recognize you, obviously

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

In regards to the Ul'dah HW plot, I was more disappointed that Nanamo just changes her mind about stepping down. "Actually, she was just sleeping!" was pretty dumb too, but I thought her stepping down could have been an interesting direction to take. But I don't recall it ever being brought up again, although it has been a while since I played through that. Although, it does seem like they're trying to make her more of an actual character now rather than just a prop for Raubahn, so maybe that could be cool too.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

In regards to the Ul'dah HW plot, I was more disappointed that Nanamo just changes her mind about stepping down. "Actually, she was just sleeping!" was pretty dumb too, but I thought her stepping down could have been an interesting direction to take. But I don't recall it ever being brought up again, although it has been a while since I played through that. Although, it does seem like they're trying to make her more of an actual character now rather than just a prop for Raubahn, so maybe that could be cool too.
On that whole topic with Nanamo:

I suspect some of this is that the story direction has drifted somewhat over the course of four years, and possibly they decided due to either lack of resources or because they decided to do Ala Mhigo in 4.x, that they should not disrupt Ul'dah's status quo directly as hard as they did. My impression of Nanamo is that she is trying to work from a position of strength and I expect Ul'dah will transition to some kind of constitutional monarchy if the game runs long enough, while her previous plan was basically to flip the table and hope that Kan-e-Senna, Merlwyb, Pipin and Raubahn would be able to kill enough Monetarists that the republic could actually form.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Thundarr posted:

Meanwhile your access to Ul'dah is easily explained by "nobody you bump into actually believes you are a criminal so they cover for you".

If you talk to the various guild masters at that point if you've done that class's quests, they specifically do this, including the ones not in Ul'dah.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
And if you talk to any guards they poo poo their pants at the sight of you.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Jinh posted:

It's probably not super important since being optimal doesn't matter, but I've been leveling blm and it seems to have a lot of skills that don't get used much. I'm ~35 and I was curious if there was a writeup on how the rotation changes as you level, because I feel like I'm missing something.

Rn I'm doing f3, f1, thunder (I don't know when to use this but I feel like as soon as I have 2 fire gauge ticks its good), f1 until I barely have enough to cast b3, b3, b1 until mana full, restart.

AoE is f2 until barely enough to cast b2, b2 until full, repeat

I legitimately want to say from 50 onwards (aka as soon as you get Flare), due to the Transpose changes your AoE rotation until 68 is literally.

Flare --> Transpose --> Fire 3 --> Flare --> Transpose --> Fire 3 --> Flare

You can throw a Sharpcast Thunder 2 in there but it'll get in the way of Flaring.

Disclaimer: I haven't mathed this out, it just seems like the most logical thing.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
HW was a great expansion, but it has that "1st Expac" feel to it that has some definite rougher edges (though nothing like the 2.0/X plodding) like the Zones generally 2x as big as they needed to be with not as much going on in them as SB or ARR. Some plot threads also were kind of floaty too in execution, like the whole "Empire and Ascians are still part of the plot, guys." Don't forget WoD too.

And while I did like the ending and the series of side-quests afterwards for an epilogue, I really think a good deal of characters could have used some post-moogle style quests until they might be used again, I guess to show how the new lifestyle and troubles are after Litany of Peace.

One thing that's always bothered me is how Tailfeather just...kind of exists out of nowhere? I know that the tress hide them, but considering how Ishgard is so outsider-hostile, I really have to wonder where the hell they all came from and how long ago. Also never got how Sharlayan managed to be in Prime Dravanian territory and never got a thrashing from the Horde in its time.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
I'm not sure how the math works exactly at each level tier, but generally once you get flare that becomes your overarching priority. Fire 2 is only worth it when you have a shitload of enemies (like 8+ or something, i forget).

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Rastan Beeza posted:

HW was a great expansion, but it has that "1st Expac" feel to it that has some definite rougher edges (though nothing like the 2.0/X plodding) like the Zones generally 2x as big as they needed to be with not as much going on in them as SB or ARR. Some plot threads also were kind of floaty too in execution, like the whole "Empire and Ascians are still part of the plot, guys." Don't forget WoD too.

And while I did like the ending and the series of side-quests afterwards for an epilogue, I really think a good deal of characters could have used some post-moogle style quests until they might be used again, I guess to show how the new lifestyle and troubles are after Litany of Peace.

One thing that's always bothered me is how Tailfeather just...kind of exists out of nowhere? I know that the tress hide them, but considering how Ishgard is so outsider-hostile, I really have to wonder where the hell they all came from and how long ago. Also never got how Sharlayan managed to be in Prime Dravanian territory and never got a thrashing from the Horde in its time.

The population of Tailfeather is a mix of Ishgardians and outsiders. They play a role in their Chocobo industry so naturally the dirty outsiders thing can be scrubbed over by having familiar Ishgardians handling contact with the cityfolk.

No loving idea on the Sharlayans though. It would be easy to say that there's some distance between the Forelands and the Hinterlands but the wall is right there in both zones.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I just want Matoya to come back.

She can call Varis "young whippersnapper" and threaten to box his ears.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Nodosaur posted:

I just want Matoya to come back.
The sidequests with her scared frogservant are one of the saddest moments in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Sharlayan may have worked out a deal with the dragons on their own, or been warded or something. Given how they use magic for everything it probably was not a huge colony nor one with a massive footprint.

All these areas are kind of meant to represent vast regions, I figure.