Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Needing to get a side computer ready to be my security system computer. Will be required to run Blue Iris security, support for up to 12-14 cameras. Record up to the last week-2 weeks of footage on hard drive.

What needs to be my baseline to work with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, I just checked that it's the 3D NAND version. And go with whatever is cheapest.

Also, you do know that Steam can install games to multiple drives, right? There's a setting that allows you to allocate more than one drive for installations.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, I just checked that it's the 3D NAND version. And go with whatever is cheapest.

Also, you do know that Steam can install games to multiple drives, right? There's a setting that allows you to allocate more than one drive for installations.

Thanks, I'll be picking up a WD drive on my lunch break.

I plan to use my current 500GB SSD for OS/Program/Music storage and then dedicate the WD 1TB for games so if I have to reinstall Windows I don't have to redownload my Steam library.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

SHAQ4PREZ posted:

Thanks, I'll be picking up a WD drive on my lunch break.

I plan to use my current 500GB SSD for OS/Program/Music storage and then dedicate the WD 1TB for games so if I have to reinstall Windows I don't have to redownload my Steam library.

The WD Blue only has a three year warranty to the Samsung's five, so consider that as well, maybe.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

89 posted:

Needing to get a side computer ready to be my security system computer. Will be required to run Blue Iris security, support for up to 12-14 cameras. Record up to the last week-2 weeks of footage on hard drive.

What needs to be my baseline to work with?

One 1280x1024 Camera @ 30FPS Will fill a 1TB hard drive in 2 weeks. So you'd need 14TB of stroage, and you'd probably want Backup drives. Something like six 4TB drives in Raid 5 would work. You don't need much of a computer to inprocess that.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

A friend of mine wants to pick up a PC for his wife so they can play Sea of Thieves together at the end of the month. He found these two that he likes the look of:

Pick One
Intel Kaby Lake Core i7-7700
NVIDIA GTX 1060 3gb
16GB Memory
1TB Hard Drive
Windows 10 Home

Pick Two
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA GTX 1060 6gb
16GB RAM
1TB HDD+240GB SSD

He's leaning towards the Ryzen and on paper it does look better. Any suggestions? Or can any of you recommend any other kind of pre-build that's better than those two? I want to upgrade myself as well, but I don't have the money and I can wait a few months to see where the market goes and what Intel or AMD releases in the coming months.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Jimbot posted:

A friend of mine wants to pick up a PC for his wife so they can play Sea of Thieves together at the end of the month. He found these two that he likes the look of:

Pick One
Intel Kaby Lake Core i7-7700
NVIDIA GTX 1060 3gb
16GB Memory
1TB Hard Drive
Windows 10 Home

Pick Two
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA GTX 1060 6gb
16GB RAM
1TB HDD+240GB SSD

He's leaning towards the Ryzen and on paper it does look better. Any suggestions? Or can any of you recommend any other kind of pre-build that's better than those two? I want to upgrade myself as well, but I don't have the money and I can wait a few months to see where the market goes and what Intel or AMD releases in the coming months.

I'd say two things in favour of the Ryzen system:
1) A 1060 6GB is going to have a longer useful life than the 3GB version, I'd highly recommend it over the 3GB one
2) It has an SSD. The Intel build doesn't - nobody deserves a PC without an SSD

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I run a 2013 era i3 NUC for double duty as a Plex server and a Blue iris host. I only do 3 cameras but I've never seen more than 40% CPU load. A modern i5 NUC connected to a drive array with usb3 could probably work well for a security setup. We actually have a security camera thread somewhere which some knowledgeable dudes who can do the math. Also don't forget you can save a lot of space when cameras are only being recorded during motion/sound events.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GutBomb posted:

Yeah you really need new silicone glue for the IHS. As for your ram, I doubt the delid or AIO had anything to do with it directly, but if you sent a static charge into it while you were loving around inside your case that might have done something.

You normally won't hear a difference with AIO systems other than fans. The pump is always running and even when it ramps up it's pretty well contained so you're not going to hear much if any difference in pump noise.

Finally, if you pull the cooler off you have to reapply paste. Even if you just pull it off to check. You introduce air pockets and bubbles when you separate the cooler. The point of the paste is to have an unbroken point of contact between the cooler and the IHS.

Thank you for the wisdom. I found the issue when pulling it back apart today. 2 bent spring-pins on the socket. One bent and one snapped. Going to reattached the IHS to the CPU and then attempt to get this cooler working. I had both the fans and pumps attached to the cpu_fan 1 & 2 headers. That could be the issue as the pump wouldn't even be running consistently. I'm still not convinced the cooler works. If it doesn't I'll post in the hardware thread.

TL:dr : delidded for no reason and it cost me a motherboard.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I am looking for a CHEAP AS gently caress system that will play my generation's MOST OKAYEST games, such as THE PORTAL SERIES and SID MEIER'S CIVILIZATION V in beautiful and stunning FULL HD 1080P at a satisfactory 30 frames per second.

In truth, I don't even have a working PC in my house and I've been itching for some older PC games. Will this piece of poo poo suffice?

HP 8300 Elite Small Form Factor Desktop Computer, Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core, 8GB RAM, 500GB SATA, Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
EVGA GeForce GT 730 2GB (Low Profile)
SilverStone Technology 300W SFX Form Factor 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply with +12V single rail, Active PFC (ST30SF)

I will also get a X360 wireless controller instead of a keyboard and mouse, that's how little I care. Can you turn the PC on and off with the X360 controller?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

cage-free egghead posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread but I'm looking to spend less than $500 for a gaming machine. Don't really care about playing at max @ 1080p but would like to have it look not terrible.

I'm fine with buying prebuilt right now and willing to use some older hardware (perhaps nothing older than 3rd gen i-series or nVidia 800). Ebay has a bunch of machines with cards like the 1030GT and such. Could that hold me over for a little while until gpu prices come down?

That's definitely going to be a pretty tight squeeze right now. What sort of games are you looking to play? For modern games like Battlefield 1, a 1030 is going to have middling performance (<60 fps) at 1080p, even with low settings. A 1050 ti will do well with medium settings, but a 1060/970/780 is really the best if you want to play modern games at 1080p on high settings with decent fps. Unfortunately, they're also all running $250-350 even if you're scouring ebay, which doesn't leave a lot for the rest of the machine.

Newegg has this refurbished MSI for $569, which is the closest I've seen to a 1060/970 machine at your price point:
MSI G11CD-B11
- Intel i5-6400
- NVIDIA GTX970 4GB
- 8GB DDR4 2133
- 1TB HD
- Win10 Home

I'm not familiar with Newegg refurbished items, so maybe someone else could weigh in with experience. If you felt like you had another $50 to throw at it, getting a 120GB SSD for the OS should massively boost your boot times.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 2, 2018

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

1030s are the same price, low profile, and like 1.5-2x the performance, so there is that

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Sniep posted:

1030s are the same price, low profile, and like 1.5-2x the performance, so there is that
Is it even worth going for passive cooling instead of a fan? I can't imagine those are great. Non-passive cards are either out of stock or twice the price (drat bitcoiners).

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Crows Turn Off posted:

Is it even worth going for passive cooling instead of a fan? I can't imagine those are great. Non-passive cards are either out of stock or twice the price (drat bitcoiners).

i didnt do much googling but my first hit was this https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GeForce-GV-N1030D5-2GL-Computer-Graphics/dp/B071DY2VJR

it ships in like 3 days, so if that's too out of stock for you then /shrug

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Stickman posted:

That's definitely going to be a pretty tight squeeze right now. What sort of games are you looking to play? For modern games like Battlefield 1, a 1030 is going to have middling performance (<60 fps) at 1080p, even with low settings. A 1050 ti will do well with medium settings, but a 1060/970/780 is really the best if you want to play modern games at 1080p on high settings with decent fps. Unfortunately, they're also all running $250-350 even if you're scouring ebay, which doesn't leave a lot for the rest of the machine.

Newegg has this refurbished MSI for $569, which is the closest I've seen to a 1060/970 machine at your price point:
MSI G11CD-B11
- Intel i5-6400
- NVIDIA GTX970 4GB
- 8GB DDR4 2133
- 1TB HD
- Win10 Home

I'm not familiar with Newegg refurbished items, so maybe someone else could weigh in with experience. If you felt like you had another $50 to throw at it, getting a 120GB SSD for the OS should massively boost your boot times.

I'd like to play some newer games, The Division, Rocket League, Fortnite are the big ones for me right now unless some new flavor of the month comes about. Again, not concerned with ultra settings but it would be nice to push above 60fps at 1080p or 720p in the least. Also looking to do streaming/editing but have a beefy work laptop I could use for the encoding (i7 6600u, 16gb, integrated gpu) and get a capture card instead of putting the entire load on the gaming PC.

I may be able to squeeze out a $1k budget, which I think puts me in some pretty decent territory for prebuilts. There was this one that Amazon offers a 5 month, no interest payment plan on which would feel a bit better on our wallet.

quote:

CYBERPOWERPC Gamer Xtreme GXIVR8020A4 Desktop Gaming PC
$779.99 Free Shipping for Prime Members
or 5 monthly payments of $156.00

Intel i5-7400 3.0GHz
AMD RX 580 4GB,
8GB DDR4 RAM,
1TB 7200RPM HDD (have a spare SSD I could use as boot drive)
Win 10 Home

The only thing I'm unsure of with this is the AMD card, but a quick glance puts it in the same bracket as the 1060 or higher end 9, 8, and 7-series nvidias. I also keep seeing a lot of prebuilts with the GTX 1060 3gb, is this card just a gimped model compared to the 6gb? Seems like reddit has no qualms over the former.

Adversely, would checking out the Ryzen 5 cpus be worth it? I know gaming performance generally has Intel as the leader but I keep hearing great things about these chips.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

I'd like to play some newer games, The Division, Rocket League, Fortnite are the big ones for me right now unless some new flavor of the month comes about. Again, not concerned with ultra settings but it would be nice to push above 60fps at 1080p or 720p in the least. Also looking to do streaming/editing but have a beefy work laptop I could use for the encoding (i7 6600u, 16gb, integrated gpu) and get a capture card instead of putting the entire load on the gaming PC.

I may be able to squeeze out a $1k budget, which I think puts me in some pretty decent territory for prebuilts. There was this one that Amazon offers a 5 month, no interest payment plan on which would feel a bit better on our wallet.

The only thing I'm unsure of with this is the AMD card, but a quick glance puts it in the same bracket as the 1060 or higher end 9, 8, and 7-series nvidias. I also keep seeing a lot of prebuilts with the GTX 1060 3gb, is this card just a gimped model compared to the 6gb? Seems like reddit has no qualms over the former.

Adversely, would checking out the Ryzen 5 cpus be worth it? I know gaming performance generally has Intel as the leader but I keep hearing great things about these chips.

I recently bought this prebuilt with a 3GB 1060 and it is giving me 60fps at 1080p running on High visual settings for Civ VI, Overwatch, Total Warhammer, and it sometimes dips into the 30s for Kingdom Come but typically only in city centers. Overall its exceeded my expectations

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.
I've been running an i5-2500k for many years now, but I'm looking to move forward. Is there a meaningful difference between i5 and i7 if my end goal is "play stellaris and overwatch and sometimes dick around in VR horror"?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Syber-C-Core-100

Phone posting, but this looks somewhat legit. You can put a graphics card in it later when and if prices drop. In any case the ryzen Apu is half decent for games described.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Crows Turn Off posted:

I am looking for a CHEAP AS gently caress system that will play my generation's MOST OKAYEST games, such as THE PORTAL SERIES and SID MEIER'S CIVILIZATION V in beautiful and stunning FULL HD 1080P at a satisfactory 30 frames per second.

In truth, I don't even have a working PC in my house and I've been itching for some older PC games. Will this piece of poo poo suffice?

HP 8300 Elite Small Form Factor Desktop Computer, Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core, 8GB RAM, 500GB SATA, Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
EVGA GeForce GT 730 2GB (Low Profile)
SilverStone Technology 300W SFX Form Factor 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply with +12V single rail, Active PFC (ST30SF)

I will also get a X360 wireless controller instead of a keyboard and mouse, that's how little I care. Can you turn the PC on and off with the X360 controller?

Where do you live. That exact PC (with 4gb of RAM and no hard drive) is like $50 at a university surplus shop where I live in salt lake City. You might want to check to see if any university shops have the same deal (they were pretty standard for a while)

The shop here has hundreds of them.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

beggar posted:

I recently bought this prebuilt with a 3GB 1060 and it is giving me 60fps at 1080p running on High visual settings for Civ VI, Overwatch, Total Warhammer, and it sometimes dips into the 30s for Kingdom Come but typically only in city centers. Overall its exceeded my expectations

Also, 3gb 1060s are going for about $280-300 on ebay. You could swap it out for one of the cheaper 6gb versions for $60-$70 if you felt like splurging.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mulloy posted:

I've been running an i5-2500k for many years now, but I'm looking to move forward. Is there a meaningful difference between i5 and i7 if my end goal is "play stellaris and overwatch and sometimes dick around in VR horror"?

We're advising that if you have the budget and means, to go with an i7 this time around simply because the focus over the next few years will be number of cores (physical *and* virtual), since the CPU makers are out of tricks to play as we approach sub-10nm processes. Ryzen might have more cores, but Intel currently offers the best single-threaded performance for current apps - and Ryzen uses "Infinity Fabric" to connect individual quad cores together to make their 6/8 core CPUs.

Also, if you're looking into a ~$500-600 gaming system: https://www.techbargains.com/deal/447931/dell-inspiron-gaming-desktop

Sure, it's a 3GB 1060, but beggars can't be choosers at this point. Consider the 8400 box a more than decent 1080p only box.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 3, 2018

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

We're advising that if you have the budget and means, to go with an i7 this time around simply because the focus over the next few years will be number of cores (physical *and* virtual), since the CPU makers are out of tricks to play as we approach sub-10nm processes. Ryzen might have more cores, but Intel currently offers the best single-threaded performance for current apps - and Ryzen uses "Infinity Fabric" to connect individual quad cores together to make their 6/8 core CPUs.

Also, if you're looking into a ~$500-600 gaming system: https://www.techbargains.com/deal/447931/dell-inspiron-gaming-desktop

Sure, it's a 3GB 1060, but beggars can't be choosers at this point. Consider the 8400 box a more than decent 1080p only box.

It's a big jump since I haven't upgraded my PC in about 5 years. Thanks for the reccomendation.

Bad Llama
Jan 2, 2007
pwnerer
Can I get advice on a prebuilt ITT, or is that frowned upon in this establishment?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Bad Llama posted:

Can I get advice on a prebuilt ITT, or is that frowned upon in this establishment?

Not really frowned upon currently given current DDR4 and GPU prices. It's probably your best bet for something affordable.

Bad Llama
Jan 2, 2007
pwnerer
Can somebody please tell me if I am making a huge mistake if I buy this?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/502046/G315_Desktop_Computer

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bad Llama posted:

Can somebody please tell me if I am making a huge mistake if I buy this?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/502046/G315_Desktop_Computer

You're great. We recommend that prebuilt all the time in here. You might want to add a hard disk for media storage if 256GB is gonna be tight for you; I don't know if you can pay MicroCenter to install it but that's the only possible thing you might want to do.

Bad Llama
Jan 2, 2007
pwnerer

Arivia posted:

You're great. We recommend that prebuilt all the time in here. You might want to add a hard disk for media storage if 256GB is gonna be tight for you; I don't know if you can pay MicroCenter to install it but that's the only possible thing you might want to do.

Thanks! :) Good idea

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Just a quick question - I don’t need an after-market cooler for an i5-8600K if I have no current intention of overclocking, correct?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Toozler posted:

Just a quick question - I don’t need an after-market cooler for an i5-8600K if I have no current intention of overclocking, correct?

Nope - K chips do not come with a cooler.

WiiFitForWindows8
Oct 14, 2013
Well, I built my new PC, but after using it with incredible results for 4 days, everything has poo poo-tons of screen-tearing on it. I'm using DDU to clean out the drivers and try again, gonna try a few fixes, but this is really disheartening. :suicide:

Edit 1: Okay, DDU + Global Settings V-sync on, triple buffering on, DOOM ran stupidly well again. Thank jesus christ. Let's try Nier: Automata next.

Edit 2: Well, there was some tearing in one of the cutscenes, but during gameplay the game was very smooth with no tearing. Couldn't get it to go past 30 FPS, which is annoying, but it worked. I think the cutscene tearing was because of the game? I guess? Onto Vermintide 2, where it was the worst.

Edit 3: Okay, it's fixed. Why did it do that, though? Why would the drivers gently caress up like that randomly?

WiiFitForWindows8 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 3, 2018

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
If I buy a newish (R330) Dell server, will I be able to upgrade the processor to a CPU which isn't officially supported, but is within the same officially-supported CPU family and thermal envelope?

e: Looks like I can! :toot:

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 6, 2018

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Hopefully not a dumb question: I'm thinking about building another PC this year (last one built was in 2013, still running well).

On this Specter/Meltdown defect, are any of the new Intel chipsets coming out this year that will correct the problem, yet not take a big performance hit, as from the current fixes?

I'm not in a rush to build, but I will need more diskspace this year (i.e. games). I could also use some more memory (at 16GB, want 32GB - my non-gaming desktop apps eating up lots of memory these days). Figured if the new chips were out soon I would just build the new computer. But if there's no estimates from Intel I'll probably go ahead and upgrade the disk and memory.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

nnnotime posted:

On this Specter/Meltdown defect, are any of the new Intel chipsets coming out this year that will correct the problem, yet not take a big performance hit, as from the current fixes?

New-ish generations of the chips already have hardware support for fixing Meltdown with relatively low cost (via INVPCID). If your CPU is 3rd gen or earlier, you're getting the more-expensive Meltdown fix. The fast version needs Haswell (4th gen).

I wouldn't hold my breath for 9th gen chips to have "true" fixes. Maybe even 10th gen won't.

Also note that DDR4 RAM is still really expensive the last I checked.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Avenging Dentist posted:

New-ish generations of the chips already have hardware support for fixing Meltdown with relatively low cost (via INVPCID). If your CPU is 3rd gen or earlier, you're getting the more-expensive Meltdown fix. The fast version needs Haswell (4th gen).

I wouldn't hold my breath for 9th gen chips to have "true" fixes. Maybe even 10th gen won't.

Also note that DDR4 RAM is still really expensive the last I checked.
Thanks. Glad I'm not in a rush on the CPU upgrade, then. On RAM, it's one of those things to me that if you need it you buy it, hopefully at the best price, of course. I'm more concerned about goofing up something on the RAM during the upgrade, like getting the wrong type or getting a defective DIMM (though chances are low).

EDIT: Looks like I had bought 16GB of DDR3 RAM in 2013 for $150. Found similar type on Amazon for $152. DDR4 seems about $50 more expensive from just a cursory glance.

DDR3 RAM 16GB 1600
https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Hyp...6C10FK2%2F16%29

EDIT: crap: that recent Kingston listing is CL10 and my old memory is CL9. Research is half the fun, I keep telling myself.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 3, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

A 2x8GB G.Skill DDR4-3000 kit can be had for ~$180 pretty regularly (still a marked difference from the $100-120 it was about 12-18 months ago). Corsair LPX will generally be ~$15-20 more expensive than G.Skill, but it's worth it if you never want to worry about blingy/tall heat spreaders messing with a tower HSF placement. The RMA support is better, too.

There's a pretty predictable pattern of sales on the Newegg mailers. One day G.Skill is cheap, another day a promo code knocks :10bux: off of that price difference on the Corsair set(s).

RAM is *juuuuust* starting to go down in price because the Chinese are exerting pressure on the Taiwanese and Korean fabs. When RAM costs a lot, it means less people buy poo poo using a lot of it, and China has the means to look at Samsung, Crucial, SKHynix, and Elpida and say "shape the gently caress up or we'll build our own fabs and bury you in the long run since we use 'cheaper labor.'"

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 4, 2018

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BIG HEADLINE posted:

A 2x8GB G.Skill DDR4-3000 kit can be had for ~$180 pretty regularly (still a marked difference from the $100-120 it was about 12-18 months ago). Corsair LPX will generally be ~$15-20 more expensive than G.Skill, but it's worth it if you never want to worry about blingy/tall heat spreaders messing with a tower HSF placement. The RMA support is better, too.

There's a pretty predictable pattern of sales on the Newegg mailers. One day G.Skill is cheap, another day a promo code knocks :10bux: off of that price difference on the Corsair set(s).

RAM is *juuuuust* starting to go down in price because the Chinese are exerting pressure on the Taiwanese and Korean fabs. When RAM costs a lot, it means less people buy poo poo using a lot of it, and China has the means to look at Samsung, Crucial, SKHynix, and Elpida and say "shape the gently caress up or we'll build our own fabs and bury you in the long run since we use 'cheaper labor.'"

Labor costs are a comparative pittance anywhere for operating $5+ billion fabs, and the location of the fabs is inconsequential to who owns them.

Prices are dropping because phone shipments started to decline since last year and China's own homegrown memory production is kicking in.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Not sure if this is the right thread but I'm looking to spend less than $500 for a gaming machine. Don't really care about playing at max @ 1080p but would like to have it look not terrible.

I'm fine with buying prebuilt right now and willing to use some older hardware (perhaps nothing older than 3rd gen i-series or nVidia 800). Ebay has a bunch of machines with cards like the 1030GT and such. Could that hold me over for a little while until gpu prices come down?

I have a $270 prebuilt refurb on the way with an i5 and 1030. As soon as I get it, I'll let you know how well it does with 1080p. Similar setups with a 1030 on YouTube seem alright, Doom and Wolfenstein run surprisingly well, it will probably have trouble with some future releases but I'm looking to get through my backlog of games from the last 5 years, play some overwatch and heroes of the storm, etc.

For Christs sake I still haven't played Skyrim. I think I'm gonna have a good time. My last PC was built in 2009 for ~1500 dollars and this bargain bin piece of poo poo is going to smoke it!!

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Anyone considering a system with a Nvidia 1030 could also take a look at the newly released AMD Ryzen 2400. Slightly less graphics performance, but you save the money for the graphics card (and it comes with a heatsink). Just saying.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Using a 2200G/2400G will permanently gimp you to 8 PCI-express graphics lanes, regardless of whether you are using external graphics. So it's still kind of a dead-end choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Man I totally regret holding off on buying the newer cards when they came out, figuring they would eventually drop in price, not double and triple in price.