Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Time to pre-order so I can wear my bros faces on a T-shirt. Also, the French VAs were pretty endearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Dissidia does not feel good to play huh

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Barudak posted:

the Chocobo one is completely frontloaded.

So many goddamn boring hunts. And I did them all.

I coulda swore people posted in this thread that it had nothing to do with XIII!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Dissidia does not feel at all, it's a blob of insanity and nonsense that someone vomited a bunch of Final Fantasy into.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mega64 posted:

Dissidia does not feel at all, it's a blob of insanity and nonsense that someone vomited a bunch of Final Fantasy into.
You're gonna need to be more specific because that just makes it sound like they finally let gologle make a Final Fantasy and I would be way into that unlike Dissidia.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

zedprime posted:

You're gonna need to be more specific because that just makes it sound like they finally let gologle make a Final Fantasy and I would be way into that unlike Dissidia.

Gologle posted:

dissidia plot is really easy to follow tho cid from ff1 was a mad scientist obsessed with revenge against another kingdom for killing his kingdom so he makes mad scientist poo poo on this child garland who becomes a super summon and kicks the rear end of the other summons and has a weird creepy sex thing with cids wife his mom but his mom wife dies so garland kills everything and cid gets transported to the VOID where shinryu the dragon from ff5 appears and gives him and garland power and garland becomes chaos and cid creates a time paradox where the time travel plot of ff1 happens and that feeds into dissidia where the warriors from the other ffs come together to feed shinryu and in turn chaos grows stronger so eventually he can become strong enough to undo everything thats been done but thats real hosed up yo because theyre using the other ffs characters and the other ffs characters dont like being used so cosmos who is cids and chaoss dead mom wife lover representation shows pity on them and gets herself killed and gives them shinryus borrowed power to keep existing within the time paradox so they can kill chaos and stop the time paradox and cid becomes a moogle because shinryu is mad that he isnt feeding off time paradoxes anymore.

It's very simple.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Seems straightforward enough. I don't see where people get confused.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

lobster22221 posted:

Seems straightforward enough. I don't see where people get confused.

We're Final Fantasy fans so of course this makes sense to us, to everyone else Gologle looks like an insane person.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's not confusing. Just bad.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
The more I read about Dissidia's story the more it sounds like "we hired fanfic writers from the 90s to write a game"

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Yeah.... "sounds like".... ¬_¬

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Calaveron posted:

That's really a shame, because the basic idea of making a completely bonkers fighting game by filling its cast with JRPG protagonists and final bosses is a great idea, and then they ruined it by bogging it down with overly bloated base mechanics.

It should really be learning from Smash, and a little bit from Overwatch or (if you wanna go a bit less mainstream) Amplitude's Endless games. Smash is actually simple as hell, but it gets totally insane if you let the items run wild and pick some of the more unusual characters. What I'd want to see from a Final Fantasy fighting game is that it's simple on the surface, but every character is playing with entirely different gimmick mechanics that mean there's no real 'standard character'.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Calaveron posted:

Yeah no poo poo buddy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Pick the shot of Noct and Gladio’s sister clearly hitting it off

was my pick. No regrets :parrot:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

was my pick. No regrets :parrot:

a good bird :3:

Also it would be badass if arc systems made a final fantasy fighter, just spitballin

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Cleretic posted:

That's really a shame, because the basic idea of making a completely bonkers fighting game by filling its cast with JRPG protagonists and final bosses is a great idea, and then they ruined it by bogging it down with overly bloated base mechanics.

It should really be learning from Smash, and a little bit from Overwatch or (if you wanna go a bit less mainstream) Amplitude's Endless games. Smash is actually simple as hell, but it gets totally insane if you let the items run wild and pick some of the more unusual characters. What I'd want to see from a Final Fantasy fighting game is that it's simple on the surface, but every character is playing with entirely different gimmick mechanics that mean there's no real 'standard character'.

You want a Final Fantasy fighting game made by ArcSys

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

I picked a photo of my good buddy arden

alright that's pretty good

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Chaotic Flame posted:

See that crossed my mind, but not quite. I haven't played an ArcSys game, but I've watched P4A and Fighterz in action, and there are clearly standards at play, there are characters that aren't grappling with gimmicks. I'm talking about an entire roster filled with the likes of Aigis, Naoto, Junpei, Cloud's Smash incarnation, Ice Climbers, Phoenix Wright in UMvC3, all that. Hell, like Bartz in Dissidia NT.

I definitely wouldn't turn down just 'Final Fantasy by ArcSys' though.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

Chaotic Flame posted:

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
My friend is looking to play one of the FF games after he finishes Chrono trigger, and I sort of remember people talking poo poo about the ds versions of 4-6, an I remembering this right and if I am why

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

My friend is looking to play one of the FF games after he finishes Chrono trigger, and I sort of remember people talking poo poo about the ds versions of 4-6, an I remembering this right and if I am why

4DS is fine besides the fact that it's ugly as gently caress.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Steam versions of 5 and 6 have ugly graphics, also Steam 5 fixes some helpful glitches but those are irrelevant for a casual non-Fiesta player. 3D version of 4 may be too difficult for a beginning jRPG player but otherwise is fine.

Honestly I'd recommend the GBA versions of all three in general, though the PSP FF4 is strictly better and FF6 is fine for either GBA or SNES. If your friend wants to avoid emulation and wants to buy something on Steam, I'd go 7-10 since those are the best Steam ports of FF games.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Cleretic posted:

See that crossed my mind, but not quite. I haven't played an ArcSys game, but I've watched P4A and Fighterz in action, and there are clearly standards at play, there are characters that aren't grappling with gimmicks. I'm talking about an entire roster filled with the likes of Aigis, Naoto, Junpei, Cloud's Smash incarnation, Ice Climbers, Phoenix Wright in UMvC3, all that. Hell, like Bartz in Dissidia NT.

I definitely wouldn't turn down just 'Final Fantasy by ArcSys' though.

BlazBlue is what you're looking for. Every character has their own gimmick and functions.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Or Under Night, which is way better than BB to boot.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
The PC demo is my first exposure to FFXV, and what a goofy good time it was. I can't wait for the full release. My only issues were the framedrops during the opening FMV, even though the game itself runs at a solid 60 FPS. Also that it runs at 60 FPS even though I set it to 120, but hopefully that's just a demo thing.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

4DS is fine, its just different from the actual FF4 in terms of most of its mechanics.
The Chibi look is ok in some, reaaaaaaally weird in others . Voice acting ranges but its mostly alright.

I was unaware FF5 and FF6 were on the DS <<
Unless you mean the iOS ports that they ported to Steam. Incase gently caress em, they look like lazy booty and are lazy booty. Just play the SNES roms.

But I wish to talk more about the hopes for a ArcSys 2D FF fighter. Cmon Square do it, you did a fighter with the Arcana heart dudes and that's going well for em.

Shoenin fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 3, 2018

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

If you're talking arcana blood, I have some bad news for you.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Oh what happened? Did the scene for it die or something?

Shoenin fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 3, 2018

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Shoenin posted:

Oh what happened? Did the scene for it die or something?

It's a poverty fighter, the shelf life for those things, even in JP arcades, is short.

Granted, more people are probably playing it than MVC Infinite.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I don't really get what the importance of character specific gimmicks are to a fighting game, when really the only thing that should matter is "is it good?". Just give me a fighting game that doesn't suck.

Chaotic Flame posted:

When someone says, "I want a fighting game with simple systems" or simple at the surface, Arcsys is quite actually the last and least relevant example to pull from.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ventana posted:

When someone says, "I want a fighting game with simple systems" or simple at the surface, Arcsys is quite actually the last and least relevant example to pull from.

dbzf just came out dude

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Brother Entropy posted:

dbzf just came out dude

Yes, dbfz is exactly the opposite of what I'd call a game with simple systems as well. Hell, team based versus games have, comparatively, never been on the easy side in terms of picking up as a entry level fighting game, with dbfz probably being the 2nd most complex one.

(I'm not knocking the game's current popularity, btw, just the complexity compared to other games)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it has straightforward systems, resets to neutral whenever a character is ko'd, autocombos, and everything is done with a fireball motion

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Everything being a fireball motion, while boring, is a good example of it being simple, but if you think the game systems are simple then I have no idea what you actually think are complex fighting game systems. The only developers that are more complicated is probably French Bread due to the various things that interact with the GRD system in Uniel.

But so far, among my more casual FG friends that I see picking up DBFZ, they are bouncing off of the game exactly the same way as when every other Arcsys game that comes out, probably due to it sharing a bunch of mechanics from them.

Which hey, if you dig it, then sure. I'm only saying that most other FGs out currently have been much easier for me to explain and get people into than Arcsys games always have been. Including poo poo like KI, where you'd think combo breakers would be hard to explain.

Now, another thing that makes DBFZ simple is the lack of real variety in character gameplans, but that's not really about systems, and wasn't worth mentioning since it goes against the OP of this tangent (who wanted characters all to be hella diverse with their own mechanics)

VVVVV Cool

Ventana fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 3, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
your friends are dumb op

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ventana posted:

Everything being a fireball motion, while boring, is a good example of it being simple, but if you think the game systems are simple then I have no idea what you actually think are complex fighting game systems.

kof having like four different kinds of hops, more universal resources than just health and a super meter, mvci's way more permissive tag-ins than most tag games, skullgirls various iterations of the IPS system and yes, KI's combo breakers

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Dissidia NT crew are fairly simple and diverse, even if most of them occupy three broad archetypes. Might have been nice if you got a bit more in-game info on what their stuff does, but that seems to be a not-uncommon problem for arena fighters (hello, Gundam Versus).

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's a poverty fighter, the shelf life for those things, even in JP arcades, is short.

Granted, more people are probably playing it than MVC Infinite.

I mean, I play more poverty than I do anything else, so that's not the issue. The issue is that the game is kind of a mess all over. It's another Nitroplus and Examu collab, and it's loosely based on Blasterz, but there's a lot of jank, like super disjointed hitboxes or infinite pressure or whatnot. What they tried to do with the assist system did not work at all.

As for Fighterz, where are you getting that it isn't the simplest fighting game on the market right now, because it absolutely is.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Darth Walrus posted:

The Dissidia NT crew are fairly simple and diverse, even if most of them occupy three broad archetypes. Might have been nice if you got a bit more in-game info on what their stuff does, but that seems to be a not-uncommon problem for arena fighters (hello, Gundam Versus).

I tried using Onion Knight but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to swap back from sage to knight to ninja and so forth and spent a long rear end fight lazily floating around shooting slow, easily dodgeable attacks
Then I tried using Squall and his combos are super boring and also apparently you can do timed hits with him like in 8 but I can't figure out how

And weren't there limit breaks in this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Calaveron posted:

I tried using Onion Knight but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to swap back from sage to knight to ninja and so forth and spent a long rear end fight lazily floating around shooting slow, easily dodgeable attacks
Then I tried using Squall and his combos are super boring and also apparently you can do timed hits with him like in 8 but I can't figure out how

Use your EX skill or land physical attacks to change into Ninja or magic attacks to change into Sage.

And Squall's combos are anything but boring, he's got a bunch of chain options depending on if you want to maximize damage or positioning or just hold a guy in place for a while and let a teammate get an HP attack in. He operates entirely on Just Frame inputs for his Trigger to get good damage out of his stuff.