Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Serf posted:

thanks i was looking for a new self-descriptor to use in my cover letters

hey no worries mate good luck on the job search :yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'd probably at least glance at Fragged Empire if I were looking for a medium-crunch Star Wars-alike.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
FFG Staw Wars is couple neat ideas wrapped up in a package that also includes the worst of 90s gaming. Barely distinguishable gear lists out to the end of forever and rocket tag combat to name a few.

Plus, while the careers and talent trees are interesting, they're a poor substitute for their origins in WHFRP3, which actually does some interesting things with the dice, talents, and actions, attached to a gritty setting where rocket tag makes sense and presented in a game with very cool physical components.

The generic list of things to spend symbols on is very boring compared to each individual action card having unique ways to spend them, talents that slot into sections of your career card, and critical hits drawn from a deck of nasty things.

Granted, WHFRP3 also absolutely requires a group that's willing and eager to engage with all these neat bits, but if your group isn't then there's always another game with fewer toys.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

i'm getting a group together to make WHFRPG3e characters tomorrow night and I'm so loving excited

seriously the character action cards alone are fantastic, and the fact that star wars did away with them is a god drat travesty. the star wars game is so drat boring in actual play

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Serf posted:

I have never been in the GM's seat for the game, but this would actually be a big selling point for me from that standpoint. Taking stats and slapping a name onto it with a different mini/token is huge as a GM. It's one of the reasons I love 4E so much.

SW is pretty darn GM friendly for a rules-medium game, especially because it's easy to just stat up the "important bits" for a particular NPC. It hits a sweet spot for me, but I will say it's not the sort of game where you tend to want to run more than one game with the same group in the same setting, because you'll start to notice the fact that say...one Deadlands huckster looks an awful lot like another deadlands huckster with some modest differences in build. Fortunately, there are a lot of settings and so long as you keep it fresh it's gold (in my opinion at least).

It's my go-to system for D&D conversions, I've had very successful Dark Sun and Eberron games using SW. Currently using it for Shadowrun.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

remusclaw posted:

I fell in love with Savage Worlds for a short but passionate while. It was, once figured out, so easy to make poo poo for. In the end though, that kind of ended up being what I kind of don't like about it. Everything ends up so similar, good builds are all the same, and issues with things like shaken being pretty much a skip your turn card made me move on again.

Savage Worlds did get official errata on the Shaken thing a while back; now a normal success on a roll to remove Shaken lets you act on the same turn. (This raises a few balance considerations, since it devalues a few powers and actions whose primary purpose is to inflict Shaken, but it's not a huge deal most of the time). Not much that can be done about the fact that stuff that's got very different fictional underpinnings can end up looking very similar mechanically, though, since that's pretty much an intentional design feature that you either like or don't.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Drone posted:

Nuclear take. The dice pool takes about two seconds to "divine" as long as you aren't An Idiot who can't tell a few basic symbols from one another.

lol none of these scream 'basic symbol' to me.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Seems pretty basic to me. You've got your explosion, your explosion in a circle, your cloud city window, a weird triangle, weird triangle in a circle, a predator head, and just regular circles.

senrath fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 3, 2018

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Fortunately the dice come up blank half the time

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah the dice design took a while to get used to. At least the Warhammer ones were just things you might have seen before like axes or eagles

https://twitter.com/yagirlcaitie/status/969744781822906368

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
FFG star wars has flaws but the dice are literally just 'good' and 'bad' symbols in various combinations, with a variant for 'very good' and 'very bad', it's four concepts aside from the force dice, which is literally either white or black pips to represent...light side or dark side....

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The Warhammer version had a variety of neat things you could spend the secondary resource good/bad stuff on based on a) the abilitiy cards you were using b) whether or not you were a spellcaster and what kind and c) the specific environment you were in (there were dozens of these, easily), which could be anywhere from an abandoned shrine to a blasted chaos hellscape with magical fissures bursting forth from the ground. In Star Wars I usually just ended up using them to give myself another bonus dice on my next roll most of the time

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea now if you wanna talk the flaw in Star Wars' dice system being the bonuses really mean nothing except a resource to pay for extra raw success/fail dice which makes them absolutely pointless most times and could be done by a 7th Sea/L5R raise/exploding dice system I'm 100% here for that. I'm just saying the symbols are literally just various combos of 'good' vs 'bad' so let's not pretend you need the Rosetta Stone at hand to play.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I have to re-calibrate my brain to the RPG dice because FFG re-uses its symbols to mean different things. Also I have no idea what the advantage symbol is supposed to represent. I wish they had used the surge and evade symbols from ImpAss.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Zurui posted:

I have to re-calibrate my brain to the RPG dice because FFG re-uses its symbols to mean different things. Also I have no idea what the advantage symbol is supposed to represent. I wish they had used the surge and evade symbols from ImpAss.

It's half of the Jedi Order symbol, the other half being used for Triumphs

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Thuryl posted:

Savage Worlds did get official errata on the Shaken thing a while back; now a normal success on a roll to remove Shaken lets you act on the same turn. (This raises a few balance considerations, since it devalues a few powers and actions whose primary purpose is to inflict Shaken, but it's not a huge deal most of the time). Not much that can be done about the fact that stuff that's got very different fictional underpinnings can end up looking very similar mechanically, though, since that's pretty much an intentional design feature that you either like or don't.

The Flash Gordon game had some new mechanics for tricks and tests of will, and the rumor is that they'll make it into the new game, at least in some fashion. Things like giving enemies -2 for their next turn and the like.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's the time of the year where I hunt down an rpg setting book and read it. I'm open to suggestions before I reach into my girlfriend's pathfinder books and just read about the not-byzantines or something.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

it's the time of the year where I hunt down an rpg setting book and read it. I'm open to suggestions before I reach into my girlfriend's pathfinder books and just read about the not-byzantines or something.

Fragged Empire.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
:siren: New blogpost for The Next Project is up.

Today's topic: Knowledge skills and Power Sources. I've come up with a new implementation for them, and I swear I will stop screwing with it now for real this time

Related to this, I kinda wanna take a look at Performance skills sometimes soon, so if you have any opinions on those (or Professions/"tool proficiencies", as edition-appropriate) hit me up on the forums or the TNP Discord.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Blockhouse posted:

Glorantha Sourcebook

(or The Guide To Glorantha :getin:)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
FFG's Star Wars calls its thing the "Narrative Dice System" because the thing you do with Advantage, Threat, Triumph, or Despair is change the narrative so that something appropriately cinematic happens to help you or hinder you or ruin your week or whatever. You have to think of your dice results in context of the wider scene and story, not just "how well I shoot the guy".

Miss the shot, but with some Advantage? You hit a coolant pipe, and the space pirate spends her next action wiping her eyes out and doesn't shoot at you. Rolled a Triumph? You hit a control panel, and the bulkhead snaps shut, preventing the Sith Lord from getting into the fight so you can board your ship and escape. Failure with Despair? Not only do you not hotwire the bunker door open, but the blast door slides shut and makes the job even harder.

It's designed to emulate the kind of cinematic flow that we see in the Star Wars movies. This is spelled out pretty explicitly in the manuals. From experience, it takes a little work to think narratively and get out of what was, for me, a very D&D mindset about what dice rolls mean, but that wasn't a fault of the system.

There are definitely things to criticize about the FFG Star Wars games but the dice system works really well when you understand it.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I found the star wars dice and the advantage/threat way too granular for combat, especially with the low amounts of successes you tend to get. You mostly have +blue dice on the next guy or recover strain unless you get really weird luck or it's late game. It's similar to Fate's situational advantage stuff but worse because you have less control over it and it doesn't have as much mechanical weight.

FMguru posted:

(or The Guide To Glorantha :getin:)

guide to glorantha is too dense to really start with. Plus it's pretty pricey.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 3, 2018

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

rumble in the bunghole posted:

guide to glorantha is too dense to really start with

Maybe you're too dense to start off with it :colbert:

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Issues I had with SW FFG:
* Dice stats make high stats better than skills
* No skill training requirement so take high Intellect and your character knows everything
* F**k autofire

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

FFG's Star Wars calls its thing the "Narrative Dice System" because the thing you do with Advantage, Threat, Triumph, or Despair is change the narrative so that something appropriately cinematic happens to help you or hinder you or ruin your week or whatever. You have to think of your dice results in context of the wider scene and story, not just "how well I shoot the guy".

Miss the shot, but with some Advantage? You hit a coolant pipe, and the space pirate spends her next action wiping her eyes out and doesn't shoot at you. Rolled a Triumph? You hit a control panel, and the bulkhead snaps shut, preventing the Sith Lord from getting into the fight so you can board your ship and escape. Failure with Despair? Not only do you not hotwire the bunker door open, but the blast door slides shut and makes the job even harder.

It's designed to emulate the kind of cinematic flow that we see in the Star Wars movies. This is spelled out pretty explicitly in the manuals. From experience, it takes a little work to think narratively and get out of what was, for me, a very D&D mindset about what dice rolls mean, but that wasn't a fault of the system.

There are definitely things to criticize about the FFG Star Wars games but the dice system works really well when you understand it.
The problem with this is that sometimes there just isn't going to be something appropriately cinematic and after a while, especially in combat, you just kinda run out of poo poo to describe. I understand the system just fine, I know what it's trying to do, but it tries to do it in the most mid-90s way possible; i.e. it falls flat very quickly as soon as you have to actually play rather than assigning the rolls to scenes that already happened. Sometimes it's just a pack of storm troopers across a gap and you either hit them or you don't.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The abstract symbols on the FFG dice do take some time to adjust to, which is sure to slow down stuff at first. There's definitely something to be said for how intuitive numbers or even clear shorthand like + and - are for new players when using dice rolls.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

guide to glorantha is too dense to really start with. Plus it's pretty pricey.

I own everything in pdf and physical and I would not recommend the Guide to Glorantha as a starting point. I would save it until you've read the Glorantha Sourcebook and demand more like a crazy person with a big wallet.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Y'all might remember Might Makes Right, a finalist from last year's 200 word RPG contest.

Here's its bigger, tougher, stronger, younger sibling, which I've been working on as a side project.

Advanced Might Makes Right.

This alpha document includes a new edition of Muscle Marines in Space, the original RPG, which now includes chase and social rules. It also includes a number of hacks, including Muscle of the Week, Deadlifts and Dragons, Shadowrunning, and of course, Quadfinder.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The Star Wars system just doesn't give you enough to do imo. There's only so much you can do with the narrative with a small number of successes so it's often more useful to give yourself extra dice in the future in the hopes of rolling good in a future die pool. Yes you need to narrate that bit it gets very samey kind of quick.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

slap me and kiss me posted:

Y'all might remember Might Makes Right, a finalist from last year's 200 word RPG contest.

Here's its bigger, tougher, stronger, younger sibling, which I've been working on as a side project.

Advanced Might Makes Right.

This alpha document includes a new edition of Muscle Marines in Space, the original RPG, which now includes chase and social rules. It also includes a number of hacks, including Muscle of the Week, Deadlifts and Dragons, Shadowrunning, and of course, Quadfinder.

This rules, especially the shadowrunning hack

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

This rules, especially the shadowrunning hack

I will say that I was super-duper stoked when I came up with the Shaman archetype.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Blockhouse posted:

Guide to Glorantha.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I own everything in pdf and physical and I would not recommend the Guide to Glorantha as a starting point. I would save it until you've read the Glorantha Sourcebook and demand more like a crazy person with a big wallet.

It rules, even if it is basically an encyclopedia.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kibner posted:

Guide to Glorantha.

Kibner posted:

It rules, even if it is basically an encyclopedia.

This guy gets it

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Yeah, but the Sourcebook has goon art in it.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Are there any good resources of blueprints for 3d printer models of various rpg character types?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kibner posted:

Guide to Glorantha.

I looked at the price and my eyes rolled into the back of my head

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

I looked at the price and my eyes rolled into the back of my head

For real though, The Glorantha Sourcebook, is the actual best place to get into the setting (even if it is PDF only at the minute, it literally came out last month). The guide is pretty strictly just for glorantha turbonerds.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Haystack posted:

For real though, The Glorantha Sourcebook, is the actual best place to get into the setting (even if it is PDF only at the minute, it literally came out last month). The guide is pretty strictly just for glorantha turbonerds.

Yeah, this guy's advice is probably the best route for a reasonable price. Just give the Glorantha setting a chance as it is one of the more creative ones out there. Lots of real interesting stuff and much of it is unique to itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

S.J. posted:

Fragged Empire.

Someone sell me on Fragged Empire. How complex is it? How's the balance? Are any of the supplements any good?