Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

SeanBeansShako posted:

You want a sphere of lead to slam into your gut and shred your vital organs bringing your clothing, skin and whatever dirt was around you and the owners mouth deep into a bloody new cavity?

That is a very ah, intense fantasy my friend.

don't kinkshame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Tias posted:

Denmark is having a light blizzer, can we talk about cold in warfare? Give me your Simo Häyhas and your mountaintop bunker rushes!

Canada has a military base at Shilo that was traditionally used for American and British cold weather trials, since the British didn't have any and the Americans couldn't be bothered to cart their tanks to Alaska. The funny thing is that the Canadians didn't bother testing the Valentine Mk.VII in cold weather until production was almost complete, despite all but 32 tanks of this type being sent to fight in the USSR. However, the Churchill I was tested in Canada explicitly in "conditions similiar to Russia" in early 1941.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

That makes genocide unactionable.

why does that follow

they also were really in to slavery which we have now deemed unacceptable

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Milo and POTUS posted:

I can't be only person to say ouch out loud. Like id be doubled over with broken ribs and air knocked out of me right?

Could be worse

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Did the owner survive?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Yes, but not the fellow wearing it

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

You want a sphere of lead to slam into your gut and shred your vital organs bringing your clothing, skin and whatever dirt was around you and the owners mouth deep into a bloody new cavity?

That is a very ah, intense fantasy my friend.

I think it was in this thread where i read a description of wanting to be an "Artillery shell blowing a load of shrapnel from above, all over a group of young hot dough boys"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ughhhh posted:

I think it was in this thread where i read a description of wanting to be an "Artillery shell blowing a load of shrapnel from above, all over a group of young hot dough boys"
how is that any gayer than the literature that was written during that war for real

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Saint Celestine posted:

Did the owner survive?

If he did not for long.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

HEY GUNS posted:

how is that any gayer than the literature that was written during that war for real

it was intentional, not the result of repressed lust

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MikeCrotch posted:

Could be worse

Les Invalides, right?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

Les Invalides, right?
bro i don't think the hospital can help him now

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I was gonna say "looks like Leonidas Polk's armor a-ha-ha-ha" but then I remembered Polk was a gigantic fatass and that does not look like a cuirass for a fatass.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 3, 2018

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Why didn't the USA ever gently caress around with armored horse cavalry?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Grand Prize Winner posted:

cataphracts of freedom

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Small standing army, no real tradition of heavily armored horsemen to cling to, and until relatively recently, North America was heavily forested which obviously isn't ideal for heavy cavalry. Once we expanded further west into the plains heavy cavalry was also not ideal or necessary for the kinds of things the US army used cavalry for, which was primarily fighting natives in small-scale skirmishes and patrolling vast amounts of territory. Light cavalry/mounted infantry was all that was really needed.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
KV-1S in combat and production

Queue: Pz.Sfl.V Sturer Emil, PzII Ausf. G-H, Marder III, Pershing trials in the USSR, Tiger study in the USSR, PIAT, SU-76, Heavy tanks M6, M6A1, and T1E1, SAu 40 and other medium SPGs, IS-2 (Object 234) and other Soviet heavy howitzer tanks, T-70B, SU-152, T-26 improved track projects, Object 238 and other improvements on the KV-1S, Lee and Grant tanks in British service, Matilda, T26E4 Super Pershing, GMC M12, PzII Ausf. J, VK 30.01(P)/Typ 100/Leopard, VK 36.01(H), Luchs, Leopard, and other recon tanks, PzIII Ausf. G trials in the USSR, SU-203, 105 mm howitzer M2A1, Mosin, Baranov's pocket mortar, Pz.Sfl.IVc, Jagdpanzer 38(t) "Hetzer"

Available for request:

:ussr:
IM-1 squeezebore cannon
45 mm M-6 gun
Schmeisser's work in the USSR
Object 237 (IS-1 prototype)
SU-85
T-29-5
KV-85
Tank sleds
T-80 (the light tank)
Proposed Soviet heavy tank destroyers
DS-39 tank machinegun
IS-1 (IS-85)
IS-2 (object 240)
Russian Renault
Soviet tank winter camo
MS-1/T-18

:britain:
25-pounder
25-pounder "Baby"
Cruiser Tank Mk.I
Cruiser Tank Mk.II
Valentine III and V
Valentine IX
Valentine X and XI

:911:
37 mm Anti-Tank Gun M3
36 inch Little David mortar
Medium Tank M3 use in the USSR
GMC M8
105 mm howitzer M3
Scorpion

:godwin:
15 cm sIG 33
10.5 cm leFH 18
7.5 cm LG 40
10.5 cm LG 42
Tiger (P)
Stahlhelm in WWI
Stahlhelm in WWII
Nashorn/Hornisse
PzIII Ausf. E and F
PzIII Ausf. G and H
Ferdinand
17 cm K i. Mrs. Laf.
Grosstraktor

:italy:
Semovente L40 da 47/32
Semovente da 75/18
Semovente da 105/25

:poland:
47 mm wz.25 infantry gun
7TP and Vickers Mk.E trials in the USSR
7.92 mm wz. 35 anti-tank rifle
76.2 mm wz. 1902 and 75 mm wz. 1902/26

:eurovision:
SD-100 (Czech SU-100 clone)

:france:
Hotchkiss H 35 and H 39 NEW

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
There's a big car racing event near my house this weekend, and as part of it the air farce sent one of their F/A-18s to do some fancy flying (https://www.adelaide500.com.au/the_attractions/program/375/australian_defence_force_display)

Something I'd never appreciated before is just how hard it is to track a plane doing low passes. When the pilot wasn't doing loops and standing the plane on its tail, they were doing high-speed low passes and it's really loving disorienting on the ground. By the time the sound reached me the plane was already somewhere completely different, and my house is half a kilometre from the race venue (and presumably ground zero for the aerobatics). And yet, despite the incredible noise the engines put out, each time it came around for another pass I didn't hear a peep until it was practically on top of me.

Another surprise was just how quickly the jet disappeared into the distance (the display ended with the plane flying straight up until it was out of view then presumably peacing out back to the airbase).

Now if that was, say, a P-47 and it was strafing me, would I be able to hear it coming before its bullets started to land around me? I feel like I'm beginning to understand why German tankers were so wary of Allied air support.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

GotLag posted:

There's a big car racing event near my house this weekend, and as part of it the air farce sent one of their F/A-18s to do some fancy flying (https://www.adelaide500.com.au/the_attractions/program/375/australian_defence_force_display)

Something I'd never appreciated before is just how hard it is to track a plane doing low passes. When the pilot wasn't doing loops and standing the plane on its tail, they were doing high-speed low passes and it's really loving disorienting on the ground. By the time the sound reached me the plane was already somewhere completely different, and my house is half a kilometre from the race venue (and presumably ground zero for the aerobatics). And yet, despite the incredible noise the engines put out, each time it came around for another pass I didn't hear a peep until it was practically on top of me.

Another surprise was just how quickly the jet disappeared into the distance (the display ended with the plane flying straight up until it was out of view then presumably peacing out back to the airbase).

Now if that was, say, a P-47 and it was strafing me, would I be able to hear it coming before its bullets started to land around me? I feel like I'm beginning to understand why German tankers were so wary of Allied air support.

Eh I imagine the F/A-18 runs about 3x as fast as a P-47 so while there's probably some amount of shifting you probably aren't getting to "perceptibly and noticeably separate from its sound" speed in the 'bolt. There's also the fact that it'd be heading in toward you as opposed to horizontally at a specific distance.

You'd still be hosed though

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Small standing army, no real tradition of heavily armored horsemen to cling to, and until relatively recently, North America was heavily forested which obviously isn't ideal for heavy cavalry. Once we expanded further west into the plains heavy cavalry was also not ideal or necessary for the kinds of things the US army used cavalry for, which was primarily fighting natives in small-scale skirmishes and patrolling vast amounts of territory. Light cavalry/mounted infantry was all that was really needed.

Also armoured cavalry wasn't a sine qua non by the time the US came around. The French reintroduced the idea in the Napoleonic wars but I don't believe eg Britain ever used them in the field.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Saint Celestine posted:

Did the owner survive?

I don't think anyone standing within three ranks behind him survived to be honest.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

GotLag posted:

Speed makes it tough for the pilot too - the -18 was probably going 500 knots or so, which is way, way too fast to effectively strafe something. WWII pilots usually tried to do their ground passes at somewhere between 200 and 250 kts. For a midcentury prop plane, you'll hear them a ways off, though it depends how low they're flying.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't think anyone standing within three ranks behind him survived to be honest.

I hope the horse survived. But I doubt it so.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Is there such a thing as a definitive history of the English Civil War?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

feedmegin posted:

I mean you can just google the dude -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietrich_von_H%FClsen-Haeseler

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...aeseler&f=false

I'd heard this before too, so it's not just Hey Guns. :)

Huh, according to the index of "Soldatisches Führertum", Dietrich von Hülsen's actual full name was Hans Jakob Fürchtegott Kasimir von Hülsen. That's quite the mouthful.

should bookmark that site, just in case I want to get my hands on volume 5 (the one his short biography is in).

Edit:

Wait a minute, there are a Hans von Hülsen (mentioned above) and a Johann Dietrich von Hülsen, but none of those two has both names, like our Hans Dietrich von Hülsen-Haeseler. Now I'm really interested to hunt this source down to see if that story is mentioned in any of these biographies. Or if von Haeseler doesn't actually exist.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 3, 2018

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Kemper Boyd posted:

This wasn't a common occurrance for most of recorded European history, though. Armies stayed relatively small after the collapse of the Western Roman Empire, and in the 17th century you see armies doing that for a bit but then they shrink again because of logistics and finances.

There's a good article in the Journal of Medieval Military History (can't remember the volume) about the army sitting in Venice getting ready for the 4th crusade, and while they caused some havoc iirc it had much more to do with feeding the army than any kind of casual killing of civilians.

I think you're not entirely wrong about nationalism but there's a lot more going on Armies as carriers of disease doesn't really become an issue until sieges become significantly longer against much larger concentrations of people (i.e. the movement from castles to city-fortresses) and the use of gunpowder and explosives in general results in less discriminating effects.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

MikeCrotch posted:

Could be worse

It looks like the 'exit' was higher than the entrance. Large exploding shell fragment perhaps?

Edit: Wait... Two holes in the back?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

8 Ball posted:

I mean there's not really a 'definitive history' of anything but let alone something as militarily /socially complex as that. Historians love to argue and the 'orthodox view' of anything changes every generation as up and coming historians establish themselves by overturning their elders. That's how historiography works.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The Revolutions podcast oughta be a decent start.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

8 Ball posted:

Dianne Purkis' The English Civil War: A People's History is extremely my jam, but it's not an ideal introduction to the subject, as it assumes a basic knowledge of the timeline.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

8 Ball posted:

Civil War: The Wars of the Three Kingdoms, 1638-1660. by Trevor Royle would be my recommendation for an introduction to the period. It's a good narrative general overview.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SeanBeansShako posted:

I hope the horse survived. But I doubt it so.

That horse did unspeakable things.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 3rd Mar 1918 posted:

The day was rather dull and wet. During the afternoon CAPTAIN SETON-KARR carried out a very interesting reconnoisance in "No mans Land" and discovered new work within 50 yds of our line between POLDERHOEK CHATEAU and JERICHO.
About 2.30 the Commanding Officer and the Intelligence Officer went round the trenches between JOPPA and JERICHO, and seeing some "Bosches" sniped them. The effects are not known. On their return journey they made a reconnoisance of DUMBARTON LAKES and the approach of TOWER HAMLETS from the MENIN ROAD - in view of a counter attack, the scene of many "Joy Rides" during the third "Battle of Ypres".
Otherwise the day was uneventful and comparatively quiet.
2nd LIEUT. E. DEAN was appointed and assumed duties as Left Brigade Tunnel Commandant. In the evening the PADRE who - being Sunday - had done a hard day's work, came up to Battn H.Q. and held a service at CLAPHAM JUNCTION, after which he returned, and has made up his mind to spend the rest of the tour with us.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Taerkar posted:

It looks like the 'exit' was higher than the entrance. Large exploding shell fragment perhaps?

Edit: Wait... Two holes in the back?

Presumably the cannonball that got the poor fucker on the bounce

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Note the two minor dents on the right which might have been spent musket balls or canister.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
found this dude while looking for art

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

HEY GUNS posted:

Pictured: ye olde mod reading the reports queue parchment.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

HEY GUNS posted:

So obviously you stopped looking?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nuclear War posted:

So obviously you stopped looking?

he's going on the powerpoint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Mr Enderby posted:

An army racks up a significant civilian death just by moving thorough the landscape, even without any violence whatsoever. It's hard for us to get our head round what a concentration of hundreds of thousands of people actually meant before there were logistics to support them. In a time before long food supply chains, an army is stripping away food from the surrounding countryside, with no quick way to replenish it. Soldiers are carrying disease, making GBS threads into the water supply in huge volumes. If the army stops for any length of time, outbreaks of typhus and dysentery are almost inevitable. Even if the soldiers are relatively friendly and well behaved, civilians are going need to stay behind closed doors to avoid falling victim to a bit of warm-up sacking. At certain times of year that can keep them away from the field at crucial moments, meaning losing the entire year's food crop.

It just seems like depot's etc. are things that are pretty rare up until modern armies.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 4, 2018