Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Doing skin-on salmon on a cedar plank tonight. Should I take it off and sear to get a good crispy skin after?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Colostomy Bag posted:

What did you do gasket wise on the Akorn?

I love mine and know air infiltration causes problems. It will cruise at 275 stock without issue...any lower than that it isn't happy.

Easy. Buy a roll of nomex tape off Amazon for $15, pull off your stock gaskets from the lid and ash tray, replace with this stuff.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I love how such a high-end grill has such lovely gaskets

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

VERTiG0 posted:

Kingsford is a fine charcoal. Briquettes and lump both have their place. Right tool for the job.

What job are briquettes the right tool for?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

They're cheap and consistent, I prefer them for things like burgers in my small grill.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

They're cheap and consistent, I prefer them for things like burgers in my small grill.

This, at my GF's apartment we've got a small grill to do burgers an chicken n poo poo in teh summer. I use briquettes because they are cheap (usually buy the 40lbs for cheap at lowes) and easy to use to do a quick grill in the evening after work.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

VERTiG0 posted:

Kingsford is a fine charcoal. Briquettes and lump both have their place. Right tool for the job.

Agreed on all counts

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

why would you ever imply the user of kingsford is good.

I'm trying to go through my stock after a labor day sale a few years ago and it hurts.

It says specifically in the BGE manual to not use anything but lump, right above the initial cooking temp part he didn’t read. I was being mean.

VERTiG0 posted:

I love how such a high-end grill has such lovely gaskets

Mine are 5 years old or more at this point and are fine so idk

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Hasselblad posted:

What job are briquettes the right tool for?

Anything you need rock solid consistency for. I only ever use briquettes in my PBC.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The lump I get here is prone to not lighting when you're doing a long cook with minion method or whatever. So I only use lump for grilling now, briquettes for long smokes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

In a regular Weber style charcoal grill lump always gets super hot but burns out quickly for me, even with the vents 90% sealed (any more and it goes out completely), so briquettes just work better. Lump is great for smokers or ceramic style though.

Also cheap lump is much worse than cheap briquettes.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Stringent posted:

The lump I get here is prone to not lighting when you're doing a long cook with minion method or whatever. So I only use lump for grilling now, briquettes for long smokes.

Where is "here"? I get my Fogu from Amazon, ships free.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Tokyo

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I started the Egg again about 2 and a half hours ago. Checked it after an hour and it was at 250°. Now it’s at 262°.

Hooray. :haw:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Stringent posted:

That’s specifically not recommended with his BGE

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Yeah, I've got a Weber.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I started the Egg again about 2 and a half hours ago. Checked it after an hour and it was at 250°. Now it’s at 262°.

Hooray. :haw:

What are you setting it at and what position are your vents?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Odd. I wonder why you have lump issues. I thought my elevation (near 7k) would effect mine. Maybe I am just so used to how to light them here. When (if) I move to a lower elevation, my typical light technique will probably melt my smoker.

Wait, you are in Tokyo and do not have a Kamado? :iiam:
You should track down the oldest and most traditional one and post it.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 4, 2018

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

https://myflameboss.com/cooks/201809

Getting ready to do a corned beef brisket. I'm seeing a lot of recipes that smoke it for three hours or so and then either wrap it, or put it in a sealed foil pan with water/barbecue sauce/mustard/whatever.

Anyone have any recommendations? I've done a lot of brisket but never corned beef.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

veiled boner fuel posted:

https://myflameboss.com/cooks/201809

Getting ready to do a corned beef brisket. I'm seeing a lot of recipes that smoke it for three hours or so and then either wrap it, or put it in a sealed foil pan with water/barbecue sauce/mustard/whatever.

Anyone have any recommendations? I've done a lot of brisket but never corned beef.

It's basically a pickled brisket, no? Thinking it would cook the same way as a common brisket. I'd wrap it when it hits stall and then crisp it at the very end.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
It's a good thing I don't live in Tokyo, I'd probably bankrupt myself buying kilos of binchotan.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Hasselblad posted:

It's basically a pickled brisket, no? Thinking it would cook the same way as a common brisket. I'd wrap it when it hits stall and then crisp it at the very end.

Yeah I’m just doing it like any other brisket. But nobody ever says to put a regular brisket in a foil pan with water so I thought maybe there was some secret corned beef thing to make it extra corned beefy or something.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Hasselblad posted:

Wait, you are in Tokyo and do not have a Kamado? :iiam:
You should track down the oldest and most traditional one and post it.

I actually have a photo of one somewhere from years ago I'll try to find it. I thought the same as you about getting a kamado, but unfortunately in Japan they are fantastically expensive, very archaic installations (think brick oven rather than grill) and by design only work for cooking rice. :)

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Hasselblad posted:

I thought my elevation (near 7k) would effect mine.

Sup high elevation smoker. I am a little below 10k and I can only keep my AMPNS going in my MES with a computer fan rigged and blowing through the chip loader.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
I made ribs for the first time. Did the 3-2-1 method of smoking, wrapping in foil meat side down, then finishing for the last hour. Did a basic rub beforehand then finished with BBQ sauce the last 30 minutes. Used mesquite chips in my masterbuilt electric smoker at 225 degrees the whole time. They turned out pretty good, very smoky, but might spray with apple cider for my next batch.

Ok if image isn't showing up here is the link

https://m.imgur.com/kPQVxMe

Whooping Crabs fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 5, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The cast iron grate we got with the Egg won’t fit in our oven. The oven door won’t shut or hold heat with the grate in there at all. I just found that out the hard way. This means I have to season the grate on the Egg instead. Which is annoying.

The good news is I’ve been running the Egg at 225° all afternoon, and the gaskets should have finished curing by now. So hopefully when I have to run it at 450° to season the grate they won’t be affected too much.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If it's any of the first party BGE cast iron grates I'm seeing on Google they come preseasoned and you don't have to do anything. If you read the thread I already told you this.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Bottom Liner posted:

If it's any of the first party BGE cast iron grates I'm seeing on Google they come preseasoned and you don't have to do anything. If you read the thread I already told you this.

I know, but isn’t it always a good idea to add several layers of seasoning to whatever layer the factory put on?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
^^^ Preseasoned doesn't mean they prepped it for you to season. You can put more layers on if you want, sure, but it isn't necessary.

Just put two costco butts on the WSM. Lunch will be delicious.

El Jebus fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 5, 2018

F
Nov 6, 2005

I know, but isn’t it always a good idea to add several layers of seasoning to whatever layer the factory put on?

Mate, stop overthinking and just bbq.

All I've seen you do in the past few pages is ask questions and then ignore the advice given to you. Your old man should've just bought something cheap so that it won't be such a bitter pill to swallow when you gently caress it up.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

The seasoning will burn off as soon as you do a high temp cook. Don't overthink it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My issue with kingsford specifically is the bindings they use which make it non compostable and generates so much loving ash. Stuff from restaurant supply is generally better.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
what is the biggest difference smoking a pork butt vs a brisket. i use an electric smoker box.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CoolHandMat posted:

what is the biggest difference smoking a pork butt vs a brisket. i use an electric smoker box.

Pork butt is cheap and almost impossible to gently caress up. Brisket is not cheap, and is easy to dry out.

Butts forever.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The next 5 posts from you in this thread should be of finished bbq that you cooked. You’ve asked enough questions.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

CoolHandMat posted:

For me, not a ton except brisket always comes out fantastic. I don't really do much different between the two. Salt 24h in advance, dry rub and immediately throw it on at 225. Then pull it around 203 with no crutch and that bark is so drat good. I sometimes rest them but usually they take way longer than I expect and it's like <1 hour.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

no this is dumb. stop being dumb.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

F posted:

Mate, stop overthinking and just bbq.

All I've seen you do in the past few pages is ask questions and then ignore the advice given to you. Your old man should've just bought something cheap so that it won't be such a bitter pill to swallow when you gently caress it up.

sellouts posted:

The next 5 posts from you in this thread should be of finished bbq that you cooked. You’ve asked enough questions.

Bottom Liner posted:

no this is dumb. stop being dumb.

Ugh, FINE I’ll worry about seasoning the grate later. It’s gonna be a little bit before I get to do any smoking on this thing, but I am gonna grill some burgers on it tonight and maybe tomorrow, followed by steaks at some point in the next few days or so.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Can we get a mod challenge in this forum: gitmo moneyson can only post pics of 5 different grilled or smoked meats in his next 5 posts, must include at least 1 pork butt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ugh, FINE I’ll worry about seasoning the grate later. It’s gonna be a little bit before I get to do any smoking on this thing, but I am gonna grill some burgers on it tonight and maybe tomorrow, followed by steaks at some point in the next few days or so.

It’s already seasoned you dense mother fucker