Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Did you get that live double LP from the New Traditionalists tour that came out a few years ago? If not, check it out. It's great.
I remember asking the dude at the counter on record store day if they had a copy and he was all "Mannnnnnn, those were the first ones to go."

OH YEAH. I mentioned it in my thread but not here: The Residents are releasing The Warner Bros. album on RSD. loving crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

jiffypop45 posted:

Are reissues as bad as people have me believe? I remember reading that reissues are generated from digital in lieu of actual master discs so the analog sound aesthetics are lost.

I don't have an original copy to reference, but I think the reissue sounds pretty darn good. The website does say that it was remastered though:
"The album has been remastered by Steven Wilson and the 2017 master has features noticeably less compression and limiting in order to provide a more dynamic listening experience."

content
Feb 13, 2014

caligulamprey posted:

Coincidentally I just nabbed up this sweet reissue:

Does the reprint come with the "Working in the Coal Mine" 7"?

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

on the subject of one of my favorite bands, this was in the sleeve of an original pressing of Duty Now for the Future i purchased used ages ago:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

I remember asking the dude at the counter on record store day if they had a copy and he was all "Mannnnnnn, those were the first ones to go."

OH YEAH. I mentioned it in my thread but not here: The Residents are releasing The Warner Bros. album on RSD. loving crazy.

Is it going to be the version that was released on CD or the original demo?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

armyofwires posted:

I found am original copy at an antique store awhile back for $1 with the 7" and original sleeve but no poster.

content
Feb 13, 2014

Boinks posted:

I found am original copy at an antique store awhile back for $1 with the 7" and original sleeve but no poster.

Same, but I think 8 payed $5

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

armyofwires posted:

Discogs says no. I've never found a copy with the 7" and bit the bullet on this one due to that sweet, sweet clear vinyl.

CPL593H posted:

Is it going to be the version that was released on CD or the original demo?
The original uncut version, not WB:RMX. RMX did get a vinyl release, though.

I'm digging that the floodgates are being opened. All the outtakes and demos on the new pREServed CD reissues are fantastic.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Good haul today original pressing of Springsteen's Born to Run, recent reissue of New Order's Low-Life, loser edition of Pissed Jeans' Honeys, and Royal Headache's S/T for less than $60

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Had a pretty decent haul over the weekend, gonna be digging through these for some samples for the next couple weeks.

The Spinners - Pick of the Litter (with popouts still intact!)
Kayak - Starlight Dancer
LTD - Togetherness
Diana Ross - Baby It's Me
Cal Tjader Quintet - Mambo with Tjader (red see-through vinyl, kinda neat)
Jean MIchel Jarre - The Essential Jean Michel Jarre
Quincy Jones - Body Heat
Grover Washington Jr. - A Secret Place
The Pretenders - Pretenders II (album with Louie Louie on it)
Dakota Staton - I Want a Country Man
Billy Strange - Mr. Guitar

I got all of these at a Dimple Records for less than $40. Unfortunately, I have now picked clean 3 different Dimple Records in the area and they don't get new supply very often. Think there is only one more local one I can hit up but they have been a treasure trove.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Body Heat is good, I have a copy of that.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

moving time :whitewater:

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
Techmoan builds and reviews a "Cardboard Crosley".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEkj4BVaD0s

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
Omg whyyyyy?

I suppose I could be talked into doing this as a fun project with my kids if the price point was like $20, but no way in hell I’d pay $130 for it. That’s nuts.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Spent more than I should have on Karate - Some Boots. Favorite Karate album, and below discogs average price. Sounds great, pretty hype.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Asnorban posted:

Spent more than I should have on Karate - Some Boots. Favorite Karate album, and below discogs average price. Sounds great, pretty hype.

Nice work.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Checked out a new record store yesterday that is pretty close to my work office. Everything is organized by genre and artist which made browsing really easy and the quality of the records was incredible. Some 30+ year old records had barely a blemish on the cover, much less the record itself. I ended up grabbing a few good ones.

Herbie Hancock - Future Shock
The Crusaders - Scratch (Live recorded at The Roxy)
The Crusaders - Southern Comfort
Stevie Wonder - Music of My Mind
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
Donna Summer - Love to Love You Baby
Ray Charles - Do I Ever Cross Your Mind

There is a record event at the local record store tomorrow where they have a bunch of vendors come and sell their records. I am hoping to find a good collection of someone's oldies that I can swoop or some late 80s early 90s hip-hop.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

How else would records be sorted? :confused:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Autobiographical chronology.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Darthemed posted:

Autobiographical chronology.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2msCS8dvSok

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Toe Rag posted:

How else would records be sorted? :confused:

Umm, have you not been to a record store where bins only have dividers for each letter? Those are the majority of ones I see. This one had dividers for each artist which I have only seen like two other times. Maybe it wasn’t clear enough that there were dividers between artists.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I just want to say the 2016 remaster of Dark Side of the Moon sounds phenomenal.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

MrSargent posted:

Umm, have you not been to a record store where bins only have dividers for each letter? Those are the majority of ones I see. This one had dividers for each artist which I have only seen like two other times. Maybe it wasn’t clear enough that there were dividers between artists.

That's pretty normal for most of the stores I've been to.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

That's pretty normal for most of the stores I've been to.

I envy you. Almost all of my local stores just have it divided by letter and within a letter box, it’s all over the place in terms of order.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

There was a Record Day event in my city today and it was my first time attending an event like this. I had a loving blast and spent probably two and a half hours browsing and buying records. I definitely spent a good amount of money but feel like the records I got were WELL worth the price. One dude had like 3x crates of good quality records that he was selling for $10/5 records. I grabbed a bunch of Rick James, Marvin Gaye, and Ray Charles from him and he showed me his collection of rare hip-hop. My eyes jumped out of my head when I came across Jay Dilla's "Donuts" record, it is one I have been looking for everywhere and since I started collecting. Listening to it now and it is absolutely incredible. Here are some pictures and a full list of what I grabbed today.

Jay Dilla - Donuts
Butcher Beats & Breaks
Dr Dre - Bad Intentions Single
Dilated People's - Worst Comes to Worst Single (and remix)
Isaac Hayes - Don't Let Go (thrown in for free with a few others)
Funkadelic - The Electric Spanking of War Babies
KRS-ONE - Five Boroughs
A Tribe Called Quest - Oh My God
Public Enemy - Shut Em Down
Public Enemy - You're Gonna Get Yours
Slick Rick - Children's Story
The Crusaders - The 2nd Crusade
The Crusaders - Rhapsody & Blues
The Crusaders - Images
Donna Summers - She Works Hard for the Money
The Isley Brothers - Harvest for the World
Earth, Wind, & Fire - That's the Way of the World
Lionel Richie - Dancing In the Celing
Smokey Robinson - Where There's Smoke
Bootsy's Rubber Band - The Boot is Made For Fonkn
Bootsy's Rubber Band - Jungle Bass
Marvin Gaye - Midnight Love
Marvin Gaye - In Our Lifetime
Rick James - Throwin' Down
Rick James - Cold Blooded
Rick James Stone City Band - Come Get It!
The Who - Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy
Kool & The Gang - Forever
Ahmad Jamal - Happy Moods
Ahmad Jamal - Jamal at the Persing
Johnny Guitar Watson - Funk Beyond the Call of Duty

Yah....I went a little overboard but gently caress it.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 3, 2018

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Awwwwwww yehhhhhhhh!

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Still no sign of my FLORAL SHOPPE record that was supposed to ship back in September and then again by the end of January or whatever. Not sure if it's worth it to try and get OESB dude to be held accountable over $25.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Some people have received it, just a case of try forget it exists then be surprised when it eventually shows. I don’t even know where my copy will eventually go as they seemed to indicate the PayPal address will be used not the Bandcamp one. So maybe mine will go to either my old house or my parents around 5,000 miles away.

Mad Emu Sex0r
Sep 30, 2004

Comeon guys. Im cool now, right?
So I picked this table up looking for a gift for my brother:

But the stylus in the cartridge looks bad:

I hooked up an old stanton I had and it plays records ok but when I place the rubber platter that was on it at purchase it makes a scraping noise. It sounds like the actual platter is scraping the bottom of the plianth? Is this an issue where I should raise the platter or a more serious suspension issue or is the rubber just too drat heavy? It weighs 12 oz.

Edit: nevermind, it appears to very lightly scrape still, even without a record on it

Mad Emu Sex0r fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 5, 2018

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Looked up replacement stylus assemblies for that Shure and... they're pretty expensive. Sell that cart as is I'm sure someone'll want it. (Jesus christ the prices people are asking for just the body on Ebay though.)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i'm finally tackling the crazy pileup of records in my living room. a bunch have been sitting in boxes that are sagging on the ends so that's cool, they're probably all hosed up and warped now. another bunch has been sitting piled up, including some 7"s that probably got hosed, so that's also very cool. also they're all insanely covered in dust and loving with them for two minutes has already got my hands bleeding; it's like i've got the authentic record store experience right at home!!

i probably should get more permanent shelving at some point, but until then, y'all got any hot box recommendations? i used to use plastic milk crate-likes, but even those sagged on the ends when i put enough records in. i'd actually love these cheapo cardboard ones, but somehow three of them are $14 to ship, grr. I've got a Container Store near me that sells these pricey plastic ones, but they hold 90 records and they're stackable, so I could get away with just getting two I guess.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

EL BROMANCE posted:

Some people have received it, just a case of try forget it exists then be surprised when it eventually shows. I don’t even know where my copy will eventually go as they seemed to indicate the PayPal address will be used not the Bandcamp one. So maybe mine will go to either my old house or my parents around 5,000 miles away.

Coincidentally an update email went out today. Guess I'll just keep waiting.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah just got that too. Spooky!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

jiffypop45 posted:

Are reissues as bad as people have me believe? I remember reading that reissues are generated from digital in lieu of actual master discs so the analog sound aesthetics are lost.

To dig back a page -

A lot of this is audiophile bullshit, and some of it is true. It really becomes a case by case thing.

By and large, analog and digital don't really matter. Back when Queen did their vinyl reissues, they were cut from high resolution digital files because the restoration work that had been done on the tapes were done in the digital realm. The tapes were worn down through the and storage (and probably the binding issue that impacts some tapes also affected it).

Generally speaking, an analog cut might sound better because you know they went back and remaster the title directly for vinyl. But it's more about knowing the care was put into the record over the source material.

A lot of the analog sound has to do with the tools that were used - an analog compressor sounds very different to a digital compressor.

Most work is done within the digital domain. That's just the way it is. Some people don't like that, and that's their right.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

abraham linksys posted:

i'm finally tackling the crazy pileup of records in my living room. a bunch have been sitting in boxes that are sagging on the ends so that's cool, they're probably all hosed up and warped now. another bunch has been sitting piled up, including some 7"s that probably got hosed, so that's also very cool. also they're all insanely covered in dust and loving with them for two minutes has already got my hands bleeding; it's like i've got the authentic record store experience right at home!!

i probably should get more permanent shelving at some point, but until then, y'all got any hot box recommendations? i used to use plastic milk crate-likes, but even those sagged on the ends when i put enough records in. i'd actually love these cheapo cardboard ones, but somehow three of them are $14 to ship, grr. I've got a Container Store near me that sells these pricey plastic ones, but they hold 90 records and they're stackable, so I could get away with just getting two I guess.

I have mine currently stored in a box an ex of my mother's made in the 80s and I have no idea how it's held up. It's actually starting to fall apart so I'm in a similar way as you. The plastic looks strong, waterpeoof and would be amazing for moves its just not particularly aesthetically pleasing for long term storage.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

RSD dropped the official list of things you probably do not need. Personal "hey that would be sort of cool" items include ...

The Cure's Mixed Up (really, I'm not big on the remixes but "Never Enough" was a pretty great late era big-guitar track from mopey pants)
The fairly sprawling Brawlers, Bawlers, and Bastards from Tom Waits where each B is a separately sold double LP. Tom Waits fans have mad cash right?
Thelonious Monk's Monk because I like jazz and I'm reaching after only 2 items
I like the early Stones enough to actually want some of their stuff on vinyl, but I feel like a tool having my first purchase be the RSD release of Their Satanic Majesties Request.

That Brian Eno/Kevin Shields release sounds wonderful (even if I want to punch the description in the face) but man it's probably a silly spend for a double A-Side 12".

RSD is still at thing, and at least ONE of you is interested in the exclusive [I[Return to Pooh Corner[/I[ LP from Kenny Loggins.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I'm not sure I "get" record store day. Can someone give me a quick explanation of how it works?

Looking through the list, I also saw a Johnny Guitar Watson album (Giant) and the Wu-Tang Clan's first album along with an instrumental version of The Saga which looks really cool.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's generally overpriced, pointless limited runs of albums that make no sense designed for people to flip on eBay/discogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

content
Feb 13, 2014

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's generally overpriced, pointless limited runs of albums that make no sense designed for people to flip on eBay/discogs.