Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medlar
Mar 14, 2013

Bashar al-Asuh Dude

mlmp08 posted:

Old news they’re dead as gently caress. More like battalion sized, though.

The guy in the transcript said like 215 of his guys were killed, don't know veracity of all that but evidently Putin swung it as mercenary-volunteers not there at the behest of the Russian government so oops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

mlmp08 posted:

Old news they’re dead as gently caress. More like battalion sized, though.

God I'd pay money to see the drone footage (in black and white from a distance im not a total ghoul).

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
"contractors"

Were they really or were they just regular Russian army dressed up like in Ukraine?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Hauldren Collider posted:

"contractors"

Were they really or were they just regular Russian army dressed up like in Ukraine?

Probably not army regulars. Probably ex-army and there at the behest of the Russian government.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Warbadger posted:

Probably not army regulars. Probably ex-army and there at the behest of the Russian government.

According to this article translated from a Russian newspaper, they seem to recruit anyone desperate enough. It seems like the main objective for the Russian PMCs in Syria is to throw expendable bodies at the enemy and not worry about reporting the casualties back home.

http://www.interpretermag.com/fontanka-investigates-russian-mercenaries-dying-for-putin-in-syria-and-ukraine/

quote:

The high loss rate in the group can be explained by what the former fighters describe as World-War-Two-style tactics.

“It’s right out of the Second World War, all that’s missing are bayonets on the AKs. Outside Debaltsevo, the men were booted out of their vehicles in a field, and given the order to seize a fortification or a blockpost. And forward, just like meat. When they started up on us with 120 mm [guns], with RPGs on the vehicles, people… they just vomited. Direct hit from an RPG – only hands and feet remain. No one is sent out to battle from Molino without training, but they only manage to learn the basics of how to shoot so as not to die immediately.”

As for the recent battle at Deir el-Zour, there's conflicting info about the number of Russian casualties. The several hundred figure is getting more play in the media, but other sources say that Russian casualties were maybe a dozen or two and the rest were from SAA and other militias.

https://www.polygraph.info/a/us-wagner-russia-syria-scores-killed/29044339.html
http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/american-fury-the-truth-about-the-russian-deaths-in-syria-a-1196074.html <- this one has an anti-Adblock popup
https://jamestown.org/program/death-military-contractors-illuminates-russias-war-proxy-syria/

CIGNX fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 3, 2018

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
meant to edit, not quote

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

mlmp08 posted:

Political, military, and economic ties to four major powers.

E: 3 different powers.

But they’re buying German tanks and potentially Russian SAMs.

This is the big one. Qatar as a nation is very rich. They're trying to foster better relationships with other countries to diversify their economy, and they can afford a ludicrous supply chain and logistics program to field that many different fighters.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Why does russian use bad tactics with poor quality troops? I can’t imagine it’d be much harder to get decent PMCs and not have the human wave tactic as the first one?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Vahakyla posted:

Why does russian use bad tactics with poor quality troops? I can’t imagine it’d be much harder to get decent PMCs and not have the human wave tactic as the first one?

If the separatists* in Ukraine are anything to go by it’s a combination between poorly trained troops, very poor logistics, and command positions being earned through political favors and outright corruption.

*AKA the Russian forces

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Vahakyla posted:

Because Russia's always treated their rank and file like mindless (and disposable) pawns. It even extended to their air force tactics. When the Constant Peg program got ahold of MiG-21 and -23 fighters, they wondered why there was so little in the way of a sensor suite for pilots to utilize.

The reason was that up until the Soviets had a brainwave with the MiG-29 and Su-27, their aerial doctrine had been to turn pilots more or less into living drone pilots doing nothing but following directions from ground control.

As for their ground forces, one only has to read about their foray into Afghanistan to see how much they really cared about the wellbeing of their soldiers. As I recall, they were more concerned about the soldiers bringing their heroin habits back to the Rodina than unbroken brains and bodies.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Vahakyla posted:

If that is the whole truth, building up a cohesive force that can employ good tactics takes time and money. If you got more recruits than you know what to do with, why not just bodies at it if it's enough to accomplish your goals? I mean, besides humane values and poo poo, but the Hitler-worshipping merc commander probably doesn't have a problem with those.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Evidently it didn’t work that great when a battalion gets their poo poo ruined like that. I as a layman would imagine some basic tactics and training would go farther even in human waves, and not just simply as a humane option, but purely utilitarian.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

If you're referring to the Syrian incident, those guys got hosed up by airpower which is what happens to every force caught in the open without air cover.

We're going off a single source here so it's not like any of us *know* anything but from that article:

quote:

“What are we doing there? We go as the first wave. We direct the aircraft and artillery, push back the enemy. After us merrily go the Syrian special forces, and then Vesti-24 [a Russian state TV station] together with other Russian state television crews with cameras at the ready to interview them.”

Not really human wave, hard infantry combat with lots of casualties sure. I don't claim any great insight into what actually happens when thse guys fight, just that it makes sense for a merc group operating like this not to invest too much into their basic trigger pullers.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
A lot of those men had experience from Ukraine already or were former Russian soldiers/conscripts or both.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I assume the Liaoning is docked, but what's under construction? On Wikipedia the Type-002 should only have just begun construction right? Is it a cargo ship?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

To my couch expert eyes the hull is all wrong for a warship.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 3, 2018

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Alaan posted:

To my couch expert eyes the hulk is all wrong for a warship.

But imagine how huge the guns you could put on it!

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Alaan posted:

To my couch expert eyes the hulk is all wrong for a warship.

Whatever it is it’s big. And that square elevator(?) in the hull is troubling.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I also missed that there is an unfinished end due to phone posting.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Alaan posted:

To my couch expert eyes the hull is all wrong for a warship.

It's Xi Jinping's personal yacht.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Valtonen posted:

If it was an aircraft elevator, it would be a deck edge.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Definitely on board with it not being a carrier. Just seems too pudgy in general to be anything but a cargo ship though. Lines are far sharper on warships.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Valtonen posted:

I suspect that’s the exhaust stack/where they’ll put the engine. Proportionally it looks like a bulk freighter or something.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the chinese should build a missile battleship imo

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Raenir Salazar posted:

I assume the Liaoning is docked, but what's under construction? On Wikipedia the Type-002 should only have just begun construction right? Is it a cargo ship?

That is not at all looking like hulls good at mitigating shock damage.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Raenir Salazar posted:

That's not the Liaoning, it's the second kuznetsov pattern carrier they are currently fitting out. The things next to it is definitely some kind of bulk or lng carrier.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
From the IAF twitter

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
:aaaaa: https://www.harborfreight.com/radio-controlled-p51-mustang-airplane-97393.html

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER

Valtonen posted:

Bulker or tanker. The square hole is going to be where the exhaust comes up from the engine room and they'll place the bridge section on top of it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

GlassEye-Boy posted:

That's not the Liaoning, it's the second kuznetsov pattern carrier they are currently fitting out. The things next to it is definitely some kind of bulk or lng carrier.

The Shandong? I assumed it was Liaoning since it's parked at the same pier Shandong was.

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER
if you enjoyed Command and Control or you like context-less stock footage, check out The Bomb on Netflix.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The reason was that up until the Soviets had a brainwave with the MiG-29 and Su-27, their aerial doctrine had been to turn pilots more or less into living drone pilots doing nothing but following directions from ground control.

When you put it like that, the MiG-23 makes total sense.

Stairmaster posted:

the chinese should build a missile battleship imo

This was my thought too but it probably is just a bulk carrier

Alaan
May 24, 2005

A cruiser in the vein of a Kirov but not a fiasco would probably serve them well as political dick waving device until they really nail down carrier doctrine. Load that sucker up with SAMs and cruise missiles and you make a statement in an area. Couple of ASW helos to maybe not get your rear end exploded by a Virginia if hostilities break out.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

The MiG-23 never makes sense. The MiG-27 makes sense in a dark comedy "the entire control panel just fell off into the pilot's lap" or "shot self down with own gun" kinda way.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Nebakenezzer posted:

It also explains the KAL 007 shootdown in a sense, too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Air_Lines_Flight_007#Soviet_pilot's_recollection_of_shootdown

Note all of the "I told the ground controllers" mentions.

Warbadger posted:

The MiG-23 never makes sense.

The MiG-23 only made/makes sense in the sense that the Soviets needed a fully-variable swing-wing combat aircraft to prove to the West and its export customers that they could do that, too. Much later variants of the Flogger are actually pretty decent interceptors, but they could've made a bigger MiG-21 (perhaps even going twin engines over-under Lightning-style) and it likely would've been a far better airplane in all respects. But hey, "the capitalist pigs have swing-wings, we need those too!"

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 4, 2018

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Warbadger posted:

The MiG-23 never makes sense. The MiG-27 makes sense in a dark comedy "the entire control panel just fell off into the pilot's lap" or "shot self down with own gun" kinda way.

The Soviets saw the ground attack version of the F-105 and became worried the west was onto something

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Just a gentle reminder that Russian human wave tactics in ww2 are a myth made up by Nazis.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Splode posted:

Just a gentle reminder that Russian human wave tactics in ww2 are a myth made up by Nazis.

One man gets Goebbel’s propaganda. The other man gets West German memoirs.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Splode posted:

Source?

I’ve certainly read some stuff but nothing so sweeping as to to that’s not a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

Source?

I’ve certainly read some stuff but nothing so sweeping as to to that’s not a thing.

C'mon man.