Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Palpek posted:

Remember that you can also recycle those heavy objects blocking various entrances, you don't have to be able to lift them.

when I first tired using a recycling grenade to remove that grate covering the note that had the safe combo on it, I felt almost giddy, like when I figured something out playing a videogame when I was a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I really want arcane to make a full on weapons-lite creative-tools immersive sim.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
I didn't want to say anything... but this Dr. Yu character is a bit... inscrutable.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

When I went into that room with the recycler, and found the stuff hidden behind a bunch of heavy grating I was furious because I was doing a no-needles run so I couldn't use strength to lift it or morph into something tiny and slip in. Then I realized that you could use the game's physics to grab a chair and jam it between the grate and the wall, then use leverage to spill it out far enough that it tips over by itself and you're free to grab what you want.

Yes it was the equivalent of a monkey hitting something with a stick, but dammit I was that monkey and I was proud!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Haven't read the thread because spoilers and I only just started playing yesterday and I'm intrigued by the story enough to not want to spoil myself, but just wanted to say:
Games good!

I'm dying a lot, but it's early days and I haven't got to the good stuff yet as I've only got basic upgrades. Figuring out how to get around and effective methods of dealing with stuff is fun. I'm sneaking and hiding a lot, reminds me of Alien: Isolation in doing that and trying to work out where the big dangerous Typhoons are by sound cues.
I'm in the Hardware Labs looking for a suit upgrade so I can go outside and get a keycard off someone who got spaced.
Any advice on neuromods to avoid or definitely get?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Jerusalem posted:

When I went into that room with the recycler, and found the stuff hidden behind a bunch of heavy grating I was furious because I was doing a no-needles run so I couldn't use strength to lift it or morph into something tiny and slip in. Then I realized that you could use the game's physics to grab a chair and jam it between the grate and the wall, then use leverage to spill it out far enough that it tips over by itself and you're free to grab what you want.

Yes it was the equivalent of a monkey hitting something with a stick, but dammit I was that monkey and I was proud!

That's exactly the place I was talking about. Different solution, same feeling. What a great game.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

hey hey hey

https://twitter.com/PreyGame/status/969702812912320514

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I remember when this game first came out one of the devs was talking about how he didn't expect one of the endings to be discovered for a while. Do we know what that was yet?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I am going to be so very sad if this doesn't mean moon base DLC.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Any dlc for Prey would own. Please.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Any dlc for Prey would own. Please.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

fadam posted:

I remember when this game first came out one of the devs was talking about how he didn't expect one of the endings to be discovered for a while. Do we know what that was yet?

It was discovered immediately, it was killing everyone on the station and getting a different reaction plus a small quest from Dahl when he shows up

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

:staredog:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gadzuko posted:

It was discovered immediately, it was killing everyone on the station and getting a different reaction plus a small quest from Dahl when he shows up
I really don't know why he expected that to take more than a couple days at most to be found.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Finally

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

aniviron posted:

I am going to be so very sad if this doesn't mean moon base DLC.

Someone discovered this also:

https://www.reddit.com/r/prey/comments/81ky74/_/

I was actually thinking about replaying Prey soon so if this actually winds up happening... :allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zereth posted:

I really don't know why he expected that to take more than a couple days at most to be found.

It's because it's pretty hard to actually do as it requires playing the game in a specific way/order, otherwise you end up with the standard "oh you've done most of my job for me, thanks but I still am going to kill you". You have to get absolutely everyone to get the special version and you only get one chance for some of them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I was actually thinking about replaying Prey soon so if this actually winds up happening... :allears:

Oh my loving God YES!

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
Somewhere in the game, in one of the books maybe, the moon location is described in some detail. And you can see sometimes a grid of lights on it.

I've been thinking about the ending is it ever said what kind of simulation you're in exactly? Is it some brain interface thing, or something different. If it was all real and the entire station became a giant testing facility after the alien invasion, that would make up for the it was all a dream thing, because it still happened in the real world.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I wasn't really expecting this to happen after Prey underperformed in sales, but I'm super-pumped for a Death of the Outsider-style stand-alone DLC.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Hannibal Rex posted:

I wasn't really expecting this to happen after Prey underperformed in sales, but I'm super-pumped for a Death of the Outsider-style stand-alone DLC.

Is it true that DotO reused quite a few assets and locations, to the point of feeling corner-cutty? Of course, I'll welcome any new Prey content with open arms, regardless of its budget.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Good timing, theoretically. I just played through the game for the first time in a pretty completionist fashion. Once it gets going it's great for a long time and I'd enjoy more of that Prey. Not the early Prey, though, as I really disliked the beginning when the difficulty is all wrong - you're still getting used to the mechanics while you can hardly take any damage and have no good tools to deal with enemies quickly, but I don't think this will be a problem in an expansion.

However, what really soured me on the entire game and makes me not want to play again at all is the end sequence from triggering Dahl all the way to the awful twist ending. Moon base does nothing for me - yes, it's me, I'm the typhon!

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
DotO certainly had to make some cuts, such as no longer having two variants of each level based on Chaos, and was a bit shorter than Knife of Dunwall/Brigmore Witches taken together, but its content and level-design was still top notch. If you liked Dishonored 2 it's absolutely worth getting.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

orcane posted:

to the awful twist ending.

Not exactly a twist ending.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Those poor Typhon being harvested.
I'll be extremely happy to see dlc.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I really, really, really, really hope they keep the flavor of the main game. I'm worried they're going to have to do things on a shoestring budget since the original didn't meet sales expectations.

I'm gonna get it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I hope just because we're going somewhere else doesn't mean we don't go in style.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

oh my god

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Man, I really want to get whatever they're releasing for Prey, be it a DLC or a stand-alone, but Bethesda prices in my region on launch are like twice what one'd pay for most games, which puts their products beyond my psychological threshold of "alright to spend on games".

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

I just saw the movie Annihilation and couldn't help but think "Didn't realize Alex Yu had previous experience with weird alien poo poo."

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
I just finished it. I loved it until Dahl showed up and the endlessly spawning military operators made things just tedious.

Also the soundtrack/staging was a real disappointment, after the sick intro there was really no comparable setpieces that gave you a "whoa" feeling.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, I still wish the whole game's music was like the intro. Was a bummer that there's nothing else on the soundtrack really like it.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Hopefully someone will mod Prey to use System Shock 2 soundtrack some day.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

LinYutang posted:

Also the soundtrack/staging was a real disappointment, after the sick intro there was really no comparable setpieces that gave you a "whoa" feeling.

I would say that there are pretty good parts throughout the whole game. The first time that you go on a space walk and really see the moon, the earth and Talos 1 the song "No Gravity" plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp746vcwSCs

When you combine that with the audio of Morgan breathing, the sound of the suit's thrusters, how far away the nearest point of interest is and the amount of damage that the station has already received you get a really compelling scene. It's the first time in the game that you can really get a sense of the scale of the situation in one image. It's a pretty good song for one of the game's big moments of clarity.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 4, 2018

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I'm a bit midway between. There are some good tracks, and I really like some of the stingers that play, especially the one that accompanies picking up a new fabrication plan. But I wish the game had been a little more confident and let the music be a bit less in the background more often. The rest of the game's sound wasn't bad, but I felt that it wasn't Alien Isolation amounts of excellent where the sound design absolutely does not need a strong score to back it.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i liked the songs that were in the game. i'm not a big fan of the 'ambience and atmosphere' trend in gaming music over the past... gently caress, ever since the snes days ended i guess. prefer music that can stand up by itself. the ones that were in prey were good, just wish there were more of them (clearly it'd break immersion but they could add some crap about having that functionality built into your stuff - employees everywhere nowadays listen to music while working so why not)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

LinYutang posted:

The first time I walked into the Arboretum I gasped, because It was a little forest in space and the paranoid claustrophbia was really getting to me. I love heading to the fringes of outerspace, all the set pieces out there are really cool.

But I'll give it to you that the game doesn't do spectacle as well as it handles atmosphere.

Also if they make this DLC and you don't get that Mimic harvesting plasma knife as a weapon i will cry extremely big-girl tears

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Is the mixed signals side quest really that beneficial? I just finished it after crafting a bunch of neuromods to get my repair skills up but I wonder if I should have stuck to my technique of just hide in an office for three minutes when the nightmare shows up. :v:

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Previa_fun posted:

Is the mixed signals side quest really that beneficial? I just finished it after crafting a bunch of neuromods to get my repair skills up but I wonder if I should have stuck to my technique of just hide in an office for three minutes when the nightmare shows up. :v:

I found it not at all beneficial, and I kept accidentally calling him, so I just did them all at once so I wouldn't have to worry about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I would have liked it far earlier.

By the time I got the quest and finished it, I could kill Nightmare during a single combat focus at max range with a tad more than one Q-beam charge. At that point the only "hard" part of Nightmare was having to check on my friends in cargo bay every time in case the thing spawned there while I was passing through.