Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ilmucche posted:

Roughly every other game I'll get knifed in the back down to 35ish by a teammate coming out of spawn. Stop waving your goddamn knives aeound!

The other night someone got mad we "wouldn't let go" of the fact that he was afk. For the first 7 rounds of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Push El Burrito posted:

The other night someone got mad we "wouldn't let go" of the fact that he was afk. For the first 7 rounds of the game.

Is that when it would be good to kick them? I nornally vote against kicking people on the basis that bots are normally garbage, but if someone literally hasn't moved...

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ilmucche posted:

Is that when it would be good to kick them? I nornally vote against kicking people on the basis that bots are normally garbage, but if someone literally hasn't moved...

One of the other guys was grouped with him and voted no. He disconnected at one point but managed to make it back before the ban.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

NonzeroCircle posted:

Doubly true if you only have limited time to play it, guarantee if you only have time for one match it'll be miserable throughou.

I've got plenty of time, but it's either play awful matchmaking or be incredibly outclassed in alternative services. In most games I'd stay to play it out and learn, but in games with such quick killtimes it just isn't worth it.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
C9 v FaZe inferno is pretty great.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
C9 clutch masters.

Edit: Also lol at the one proud c9 fan in the crowd they keep showing. Go you c9 fan go you.

sterster fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 2, 2018

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
Niko looks like the doom guy from the original Doom

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Maybe this event can keep their equipment working next round

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

It's a funny old world when GTR and f0rest look clearly like the worst performers on NiP.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

stump collector posted:

Go for an Asus vg248qe or something similar. You might be able to find a used one or a refurbished at around 175 to 200 but they are 230 to 250 new. If you have more money the benq monitors are supposedly a little bit nicer. Don't buy anything at 165 or 180hz because 240hz models are starting to come out.

What if you want 144hz and 1440p? I'm looking to buy a monitor as well

E: I have a QX2710LED with a DVI-only input, I think that's one of the ones you can overclock? Gonna try that first

feelix fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 2, 2018

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Jeza posted:

It's a funny old world when GTR and f0rest look clearly like the worst performers on NiP.

Well they're old as gently caress so I'm not surprised

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Draken is the new cute ninja sorry Forest.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

stump collector posted:

Well they're old as gently caress so I'm not surprised

I might expect that from f0rest, but GTR has really fallen off a cliff (at least from where he was). To be honest, f0rest has been at least pretty stable and consistent. Still solid and flashes of the good stuff. That bo3 was actually quite painful to watch because it wasn't even a case of them not playing like superstars, but actually flubbing key frag after key frag. They would have won that bo3 quite handily if those two had secured a lot of "average" pro level frags. :sad:

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Gtr has has a few godawful tournaments. I think he said his stomach disorder is getting worse all the time. Frankly I expect anyone who as played as many hours as him or nothing to have really bad results from time to time, especially with the massive amount of online leagues and tournaments these guys are required to attend.

Thankfully I believe tournament organizers have been better about this in the last few months. I still believe in gtr and forest, as an old man gamer

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

feelix posted:

What if you want 144hz and 1440p? I'm looking to buy a monitor as well

E: I have a QX2710LED with a DVI-only input, I think that's one of the ones you can overclock? Gonna try that first

1440p + 144hz is a pretty substantial jump in price over 1080p afaik, and usually come in 27" rather than 24" versions - the latter size is generally preferred for CS, but 27" is nice to have just for life. This might have changed, but I think there's very few 1440p, 24" monitors for whatever reason.

A couple things that will bump up the price more:

1) an IPS screen - better colors, but generally a lot more expensive than TN
2) G-Sync - this will substantially increase the price, and theoretically improves the longevity of the monitor but shouldn't be relevant for CS

This monoprice option is probably a good value: at 280
You could go for a Korean monitor, i.e. Pixio New PX277, that usually has IPS at ~400 if that's something you care about as well.
There's a lot at the ~450 price point, like the ASUS MG278Q, or BenQ Zowie XL2730.
Then there's a bunch of others that get way, way more expensive with G-Sync, IPS etc.

I'm sure other people have other suggestions - definitely check the monitor thread and just give them a budget. One thing to look out for is refurb/sales - they all go on pretty substantial sales v regularly.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
im not gonna help recommend 1440p monitors as i play csgo at 640x480 stretched

foutre posted:

1440p + 144hz is a pretty substantial jump in price over 1080p afaik, and usually come in 27" rather than 24" versions - the latter size is generally preferred for CS, but 27" is nice to have just for life. This might have changed, but I think there's very few 1440p, 24" monitors for whatever reason.

the reason is that there isn't an appreciable difference between 1440p and 1080p until you're above 30 inches. Also try running your game in 2560x1440 or whatever stupid poo poo nvidia defaults to, everything looks really dumb and runs poorly

alienware has 240hz freesync and gsync versions on sale periodically. The gsync one ended up going as low as $375-400 at bestbuy only. I'm retarded for buying the freesync one at $330.

a lot of people are stuck on 24inch with CSGO because ASUS monitors are cheaper and come standard at 24.8inches for the most solid 144hz on the market. BENQ 27in 144hz monitors used to cost you 100 to 150 more. 27 inch monitors also suck pretty hard at BYOC LANs. If you like playing games at high refresh rates don't bother with an ips. if you like cool colors go ask SH/SC how to waste your life savings on a retina display 60hz monitor

stump collector fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 3, 2018

FMPONE
Feb 14, 2013

Level Designer Dude
SUB-ZERO is now released!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1318698056&result=1

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

I feel like if C9 had beaten FaZe, Astralis would have beaten C9, but now that FaZe went through I feel like Astralis will lose. I hope they don't though, and go on and take an event for a change.

Grats dude, looks good.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Do you get a royalty check every time cache is played

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
get Subzero onto sub.io asap lets goo

Jeza posted:

I feel like if C9 had beaten FaZe, Astralis would have beaten C9, but now that FaZe went through I feel like Astralis will lose. I hope they don't though, and go on and take an event for a change.
Faze vs Liquid final and Faze loses lmao

(go fnatic)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Faze will choke. Astralis will go through. Book it.

Lol, nm.

teagone fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 3, 2018

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

I've called every game so far except fnatic over FaZe, so it's an interesting game coming up. fnatic are so erratic I can't say whether they're going to bomb out vs Liquid or just take the whole tournament.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

stump collector posted:

im not gonna help recommend 1440p monitors as i play csgo at 640x480 stretched

the reason is that there isn't an appreciable difference between 1440p and 1080p until you're above 30 inches. Also try running your game in 2560x1440 or whatever stupid poo poo nvidia defaults to, everything looks really dumb and runs poorly

alienware has 240hz freesync and gsync versions on sale periodically. The gsync one ended up going as low as $375-400 at bestbuy only. I'm retarded for buying the freesync one at $330.

a lot of people are stuck on 24inch with CSGO because ASUS monitors are cheaper and come standard at 24.8inches for the most solid 144hz on the market. BENQ 27in 144hz monitors used to cost you 100 to 150 more. 27 inch monitors also suck pretty hard at BYOC LANs. If you like playing games at high refresh rates don't bother with an ips. if you like cool colors go ask SH/SC how to waste your life savings on a retina display 60hz monitor

I game and do work that is somewhat graphical on the same monitor, that's why I want 1440p

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

:whitewater:

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

feelix posted:

I game and do work that is somewhat graphical on the same monitor, that's why I want 1440p

They make the AOC-AG271QG in a 24" (AOC-AG241QG). 165 Hz, 1440p, probably cheapest GSync. I got one for like 380 and returned it because my computer can't push 165 FPS at 1440p. Color reproduction is not great but I didn't try calibrating it or anything.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Yeah my work is in grayscale so IDC about colors and I'm getting 300fps at 1440p in CSGO so that sounds good

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

feelix posted:

Yeah my work is in grayscale so IDC about colors and I'm getting 300fps at 1440p in CSGO so that sounds good

I picked mine up at MicroCenter for pretty cheap.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
the plot of this map makes no sense. It's set at the north pole? With trees? and a base? and a mountain? who wants to blow up the north pole and why would anyone try to stop them

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
FMPONE please replace Ts with penguins and CTs with polar bears TIA.

FMPONE
Feb 14, 2013

Level Designer Dude

NonzeroCircle posted:

FMPONE please replace Ts with penguins and CTs with polar bears TIA.

Goddamnit, when you're right you're right. Just loaded up 3dsmax.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

So we've played a few rounds and the reactions are mostly positive, here's a few things people have been saying so far:

- it could be a little brighter, the Ts especially are not sufficiently visible in some places (mostly those with coloured or poor lighting)
- we've yet to grok if it's at all possible to retake A from short
- mid is a very strong position for both sides, to the point where it is difficult to get into sites as T without at least some control over it
- that valve in the middle of A site seems useless and distracting for some
- there seem to be few safe spots to plant in B
- on the other hand the box plant is very strong
- quote "it doesn't look like you should be able to hide behind the snowmobile, but you are"

Personally I would also question putting SAS on the map as they are not the greatest for visibility IMO and are on every other map in CS right now (maybe Navy Seals would be a better fit?). I also think the inaccessible part of B with the pipe and snow piles is somewhat distracting, as it does not really look blocked off.

Again that's just aggregating people's opinions, I am too bad at the game to be able to tell if there's any real value to them. Also it's very early on and people are still learning the map.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

It's really pretty and I like it a lot, keep up the good work

stump collector
May 28, 2007
the map seems really good after playing it twice. Is there any way to fix the massive frame drops when viewing the map from T spawn? It seems like I'm stuck at 130-150fps until I get closer to the sites, at which point I'm back around 200-300

FMPONE
Feb 14, 2013

Level Designer Dude

stump collector posted:

the map seems really good after playing it twice. Is there any way to fix the massive frame drops when viewing the map from T spawn? It seems like I'm stuck at 130-150fps until I get closer to the sites, at which point I'm back around 200-300

Certain areas are more challenging to optimize, we've honestly pushed things so far, farther than I expected we could. However I'll still try to squeeze some more frames out of it.

Tevery Best posted:

So we've played a few rounds and the reactions are mostly positive, here's a few things people have been saying so far:

- it could be a little brighter, the Ts especially are not sufficiently visible in some places (mostly those with coloured or poor lighting)
- we've yet to grok if it's at all possible to retake A from short
- mid is a very strong position for both sides, to the point where it is difficult to get into sites as T without at least some control over it
- that valve in the middle of A site seems useless and distracting for some
- there seem to be few safe spots to plant in B
- on the other hand the box plant is very strong
- quote "it doesn't look like you should be able to hide behind the snowmobile, but you are"

Personally I would also question putting SAS on the map as they are not the greatest for visibility IMO and are on every other map in CS right now (maybe Navy Seals would be a better fit?). I also think the inaccessible part of B with the pipe and snow piles is somewhat distracting, as it does not really look blocked off.

Again that's just aggregating people's opinions, I am too bad at the game to be able to tell if there's any real value to them. Also it's very early on and people are still learning the map.

Thank you, great feedback.

I agree model visibility may be one of the last potentially "serious" issues I see with the gameplay, we used to have the green CTs which had 0 visibility issues at all, but they're more dated looking. I may need to either brighten the map or sacrifice there for the visuals, don't have much of an appetite to create custom CTs as well...

Agree on all the gameplay stuff, will be interesting to see how stuff plays out in time. I would like to play with you guys! Maybe reach out on steam or twitter, would be fun.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
If you joined the server to play we'd probably pick your map tbh.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

FMPONE posted:

Certain areas are more challenging to optimize, we've honestly pushed things so far, farther than I expected we could. However I'll still try to squeeze some more frames out of it.

Thank you, great feedback.

I agree model visibility may be one of the last potentially "serious" issues I see with the gameplay, we used to have the green CTs which had 0 visibility issues at all, but they're more dated looking. I may need to either brighten the map or sacrifice there for the visuals, don't have much of an appetite to create custom CTs as well...

Agree on all the gameplay stuff, will be interesting to see how stuff plays out in time. I would like to play with you guys! Maybe reach out on steam or twitter, would be fun.

It feels fine once you leave the "useless" areas of the map but I think thatll be a concern after your nap is in an operation. Casual 12v12 is all about spawn camping. However...nuke still runs kind of poorly in t spawn. Also cache gives me problems in t spawn.

On second thought if you don't find a solution for the fps issues maybe people will learn to leave t spawn, causing an entire generation of noobs to be slightly better

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
My QNIX runs at 96hz without artifacts or frame drops, gonna stick with this for now I think

stump collector
May 28, 2007
That's a good monitor and 96 is a massive improvement over 60. I'd look for a used benq XL27 over the next few years. There's a good chance people will want to upgrade to 240hz monitors from Dell/alienware and benq and will start posting their old stuff.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Thanks, is there anything magical about any of the refresh rates? I see 96 thrown around a lot but I think that has to do with old cards not being able to go higher. I had artifacts appear somewhere between 100 and 110 so I just figured 96 is a good safe spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007

feelix posted:

Thanks, is there anything magical about any of the refresh rates? I see 96 thrown around a lot but I think that has to do with old cards not being able to go higher. I had artifacts appear somewhere between 100 and 110 so I just figured 96 is a good safe spot.

I think most PciE cards can push 120 to 144 if your monitor supports it. You must have a dvid or display port 1.4 or HDMI 2.1 cable for anything at 120hz and above I believe. Never hurts to google specific monitor and video card specifications as I may be wrong on some of the cable specifics.

Also, remember to manually set your refresh rate in some titles, like overwatch, as it will default to 60hz.