Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

SeXReX posted:

Bunch of local speedmemers speedmemeing for a good cause this weekend
https://www.speedrun.com/MidWinter_SpeedSprinter/schedule

I forgot to mention something important

for the on-site runs you can donate any amount to have a kirby plush thrown at the runner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
GDQ submissions opened today, oh boy.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Looks like Bubbles made a whoopsie and is now perma banned from all GDQs
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/234576487

CBD Corndog fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 3, 2018

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Twerkdad posted:

THAT'S why the loving police were there???

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Pastebin format please

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Twerkdad posted:

Woah, he was supposed to read donations after me at AGDQ but got replaced a few days before and I wondered what happened.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

heeheex2 posted:

Pastebin format please

guy and his mate suffer from chronic pain/anxiety and he brought some edibles to deal with it (although apparently not to the event in question?), mate ended up needing an ambulance at the event after a panic attack and spilled the beans about the edibles to the medical professionals and GDQ took a hard stance on it and banned the guy, despite it being kind of nobody's fault over something with no malicious intent whatsoever and not even really negligence?? like it does sound horribly unwise for GDQ to risk the legal complications of a volunteer/attendee/whatever being involved with the spooky marijuana (i presume this is illegal in Virginia? I'm not sure I don't have this poo poo memorised)

the situtation is lovely

i do remember the police being there and I never figured out why

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 3, 2018

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Here, I stole someone's write-up from the r/speedrun thread

quote:

Bubbles gave an edible substance to a friend that he uses himself to calm down to calm him down of his anxiety on the Thursday of GDQ and he goes into a panic attack several hours after consuming. Someone calls an ambulance for him. Ambulance and cops showed up, as expected. GDQ staff sees this in a bad way. GDQ staff member Klaige takes his badge and removes him from the event.

GDQ refused to acknowledge and/or reply to Bubbles' explanation that he sent to staff after the event happening, repeatedly contacting staff to look into it, with the case concluding by officially banning him 4 days before GDQ submissions start through email.

The details that he gave before the explanation involved why he got into GDQ and how he's been there for a very long time.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
bubbles come on, don't loving roofie someone jesus christ

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

lmfao :milk:

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
That's really sad and pointless.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
yea while i feel bad for the dude i have to wonder what makes you think someone is gonna react the same way as you with a drug i mean how do you know edibles are gonna make him relax and not freak out lol

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i mean i get trying to help a dude i guess, but giving him edibles at a charity event in a state where that poo poo is illegal is hella fuckin dumb and having them try it for the first time in an environment surrounded by people is even dumber since weed does make a good number of people more paranoid or anxious rather than less so.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
lol pot for anxiety ok

also its probably ok because didnt bubbles make some maga comments or some dumb poo poo anyways?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I'm glad that even in the "lets make the bleep bloop computer videogames go zoop zoom ffwweoooom" I can't escape the absolute misery that is your country's lame rear end politics. Thank you. gently caress off.

e: that is assuming youre from the usa

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

lmfao i'm watching the video and got to the part where he's talking about how he heard back from uyama and uyama said he knows why he was banned and agrees with it

"clearly they never gave my side of the story to mike uyama"

this guy is real dumb, yo

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Giving edibles to someone not used to consuming them is a bad idea if you're going to be in public. Its super easy to have too much, especially if you're one of those people who they don't kick in right away for. "Its not working, can I have another?"

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

to be fair in the end he seems a lot more level headed about this than i thought and said not to be dicks to gdq over it and whatnot, but he also keeps going on about how they 'won't see his side of the story'.

like, i am pretty sure they did in fact see his side of the story, it's just that it doesn't help matters at all because that's the kind of idiocy that you don't pull at a fuckin charity event regardless of intent.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, it sucks but it's completely understandable from GDQ's perspective.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

yes it's kind of a stupid thing to do but it's stupid in kind of a really easy to do way and like poo poo man

It's extremely understandable from GDQ's perspective but I just don't feel like the guy deserves this poo poo, it strikes me as like, a fairly minor bad decision coupled with some astoundingly poo poo luck given the kind of poo poo luck you need to have in the first place to need medical marijuana for loving chemotheraphy fatigue. Given that the guy's always been a delight at these events it's kind of upsetting. Only ever spoke to him in passing, never properly introduced myself and now I probably won't get the chance to and that's kind of loving weak.

ArfJason posted:

I'm glad that even in the "lets make the bleep bloop computer videogames go zoop zoom ffwweoooom" I can't escape the absolute misery that is your country's lame rear end politics. Thank you. gently caress off.

yeah this but with a more sad tone I guess

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 3, 2018

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like it'd be really easy to alter your appearance, pick a new handle, and just go again.

Bubbles? Who's Bubbles? My name's, uh...Fubbles *doffs turban*

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

you have to consider the perspective of agdq being a charity event. having a dude taken away by an ambulance with the cops showing up, all because you gave him an illegal substance, is not something that any charity organization would want to have because it could very well damage their standing with their chosen charities. regardless of intent, it was an extremely dumb thing to do and gdq having a zero-tolerance policy on this sort of thing is not only the right move, it's prolly the only possible stance they could take given what they do.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

timp posted:

I feel like it'd be really easy to alter your appearance, pick a new handle, and just go again.

Bubbles? Who's Bubbles? My name's, uh...Fubbles *doffs turban*

You need to present actual government issued photo ID to attend so unless you want to fake one of those for loving GDQ then nah.

financially racist posted:

you have to consider the perspective of agdq being a charity event. having a dude taken away by an ambulance with the cops showing up, all because you gave him an illegal substance, is not something that any charity organization would want to have because it could very well damage their standing with their chosen charities. regardless of intent, it was an extremely dumb thing to do and gdq having a zero-tolerance policy on this sort of thing is not only the right move, it's prolly the only possible stance they could take given what they do.

Yeah, I understand all of that perfectly fine. I don't blame GDQ at all, it's the only smart move, if anything I blame america's dumbass politics for forcing GDQ to disproportionately gently caress the guy over a not particularly consequential turn of lovely events caused by pre-existing lovely problems and lovely solutions for said problems

it's all just a complete clusterfuck and it wound up with a reasonably nice dude getting totally screwed over something I don't think any individual involved actually really ought to give much of a poo poo about

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
People keep saying "illegal substance" when it's pot. Pot. Who the gently caress cares about pot?

The answer to that question is not "people who watch video games on twitch" or "a cancer charity"

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Modus Pwnens posted:

People keep saying "illegal substance" when it's pot. Pot. Who the gently caress cares about pot?

The answer to that question is not "people who watch video games on twitch" or "a cancer charity"

regardless of your opinion on weed, the fact is that yes it is illegal and the police showed up and a dude left in an ambulance.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Modus Pwnens posted:

Uhhh I assure you both the cops and the charity care about it when its illegal in that state. Sure its legal 25 miles to the east in DC itself but that's not going to make the Virginia cops not mad lol

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Legality is probably the least important part of this. It's appearing under the stream while under the effects of anything, and the fact that it led to someone going to the hospital. Could be alcohol, weed, doesn't really matter, but they were clearly not in a good state to be on stream. In Bubbles case, he gave him the edible, and I actually feel like he's more responsible. If you give a newbie an edible, you better loving make sure they don't trip badly, at least not at a GDQ.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Put pcp in the water coolers at gdq tbh

E. My lawyer says i should clarify that drugging people unknowingly is not cool and this was what's commonly referred to as "a joke"

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Modus Pwnens posted:

man, you're not gonna BELIEVE what the legal system gets up to here in this country

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Huh, I didn’t even notice the police or an ambulance come. Bubbles was on my team (only because we couldn’t find our original fourth player and needed someone who had been going to GDQs for a while) for Golden’s Quiz Bowl on Sunday night and I thought he was a decent guy even if he didn’t talk to me much.
Sucks but also understandable.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

man, you're not gonna BELIEVE what the legal system gets up to here in this country

The context is "white guy with enough income to travel." I'll be ready to eat crow when he's hauled off but it's been a couple months and I don't think he streamed that from jail.

Just to be clear I think what he did was stupid, but the response is disproportionate.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
The whole, 'ate an edible, called 911' is so highschool drama this thing is so dumb.

This is why you don't give nerds drugs, they're too lame to handle them without freaking out.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

fishmech posted:

Uhhh I assure you both the cops and the charity care about it when its illegal in that state. Sure its legal 25 miles to the east in DC itself but that's not going to make the Virginia cops not mad lol

Cops don't give a gently caress, especially when you say "I have cancer and here is my medical marijuana card".

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

onesixtwo posted:

The whole, 'ate an edible, called 911' is so highschool drama this thing is so dumb.

This is why you don't give nerds drugs, they're too lame to handle them without freaking out.

Speedrunning will never graduate past high school drama

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm lolling at how dumb both of them were. both giving it and taking it.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

SeXReX posted:

Speedrunning will never graduate past high school drama

It’s pretty amazing honestly

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

onesixtwo posted:

This entirely. loving spergking community.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

i'm glad y'all have found a way to assert how cool you are lmao

:jerkbag:

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Permabanning him is the dumbest thing, just reprimand him to satisfy the sticklers and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
did you guys even listen to his explanation? his friend had a panic attack AFTER the effects of the edible wore off, not because of it

as i understood it, it went kinda like:

guy has anxiety problems
eats weed to help him chill
works fine
weed stops working
anxiety comes back in full force, PANIC

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 4, 2018