Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Wow, only 36 at the South Australian regionals. Is that normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Raged posted:

Wow, only 36 at the South Australian regionals. Is that normal?

It went down on last year's event because it's a long way from the city.

Edit: more than Alaska.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

hoiyes posted:

It went down on last year's event because it's a long way from the city.

Edit: more than Alaska.

It pains me to see 3 wookies at the top of the ladder after 2 rounds.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Triple Wookiees are sadly another counter to Fenn ghost and I expect to see a lot of them

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Raged posted:

It pains me to see 3 wookies at the top of the ladder after 2 rounds.

If it's any consolation he really wanted to play Kylo, but after losing to Ghost Fenn twice last week he said f that.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Yeah, they had twice that many people at SA last year but they chose to put day 1 hours outside the city for some god drat reason. I would have gone if the logistics of getting there weren't so unreasonable for out of state players.

The cynic in me wonders if it is because they are tired of out of state players winning their trophy.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Nah, it's because Good Games bought out the shop in the city where it was right when they were handing out regionals and I think uncertainty over the handover caused the other shop to win it. Certainly the facilities there today were fantastic. And better than last year.

One guy from Melbourne and thr Foss brothers made the cut. My first four rounds were Q3Nu, Howard aces, QD palp (made the cut), and Foss aces. All pretty bad match ups for me. Managed to win the first Howard aces match (zeb popped out and nattied Quickdraw, then soloed shuttle), and the RAClo was a nailbiter, Zebb killed RAC and QD. Travis just smashed me, kept QD tucked into Yorr, stressbot was no good. Only chance came when I caught Inq without shields at range two in arc, but the 4 TLTs only pushed through 1 damage vs all the tokens. If I had killed Inq there (which I think is pretty even odds), then the game would've been much closer.

Last round I had luck with my match up was vs poe Rey and just felt bad for the guy because it's just a hard counter and fenn was rolling gold-rolled greens. That was 100-0 but the cut was already out of the question.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

hoiyes posted:

Nah, it's because Good Games bought out the shop in the city where it was right when they were handing out regionals and I think uncertainty over the handover caused the other shop to win it. Certainly the facilities there today were fantastic. And better than last year.

One guy from Melbourne and thr Foss brothers made the cut. My first four rounds were Q3Nu, Howard aces, QD palp (made the cut), and Foss aces. All pretty bad match ups for me. Managed to win the first Howard aces match (zeb popped out and nattied Quickdraw, then soloed shuttle), and the RAClo was a nailbiter, Zebb killed RAC and QD. Travis just smashed me, kept QD tucked into Yorr, stressbot was no good. Only chance came when I caught Inq without shields at range two in arc, but the 4 TLTs only pushed through 1 damage vs all the tokens. If I had killed Inq there (which I think is pretty even odds), then the game would've been much closer.

Last round I had luck with my match up was vs poe Rey and just felt bad for the guy because it's just a hard counter and fenn was rolling gold-rolled greens. That was 100-0 but the cut was already out of the question.

Travis is a monster with his brand of Palp Aces. He just flies them so well.

edit:wait a fuckin minute

a quadjumper made a top 8 cut

gently caress me

Edit 2: with jaba the loving hut crew on bossk

Raged fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Mar 3, 2018

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Here is the list

How the gently caress did that make the cut. Hooooooowwwwww? Am I missing something where that list is pure genius or something?

Raged fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 3, 2018

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
He BoShek'd a full ghost off the map in one game, in probably the most effective use of that card that has ever happened.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah Bo Shek is a goddamn terror if you use him right, but he's incredibly hard to use.

Paul Heaver is a way better designer than the designers...

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Streams of this anywhere?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
They're recording, so some games will probably be up on YouTube in a week or so.

I actually think that that Scum list might be a randomly generated list he did on the day. I have a vague recollection of the guy setting up his squad and he'd bought everything he had and was going through and finding his upgrades out of the box.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

hoiyes posted:

They're recording, so some games will probably be up on YouTube in a week or so.

I actually think that that Scum list might be a randomly generated list he did on the day. I have a vague recollection of the guy setting up his squad and he'd bought everything he had and was going through and finding his upgrades out of the box.

That is frickin amazing. Jabba at 5 points just to give out 2 tokens just broke my brain. Honestly the worst Bossk build I have ever seen. Yet he won games with it.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
So got a tournament tomorrow that was the culmination of a achievement league and I ended up in the Consolation Bracket. Winners in that bracket actually still get to win some cool custom templates and other prizes so I’m going to go and give it a shot. I have two lists, one Rebel and one Imperial, using ships I’ve flown before and comfortable with, but want to know which would be relatively good. I’m not looking to win it all but at least want something to survive and also to keep my opponents guessing.

Triple 70s (100)

•Nien Nunb (35) - T-70 X-Wing
Veteran Instincts (1), •R3-A2 (2), Primed Thrusters (1), Vectored Thrusters (2)

•"Snap" Wexley (31) - T-70 X-Wing
Veteran Instincts (1), Flight-Assist Astromech (1), Primed Thrusters (1), Integrated Astromech (0)

•Ello Asty (34) - T-70 X-Wing
Veteran Instincts (1), R7 Astromech (2), Primed Thrusters (1), Integrated Astromech (0)

I’ve flown triple T-70s tons of times but throughout the waves they’ve been slowly getting pushed out. Goal is for Nunb to throw out stress in any way possible while Snap flanks and Ello brawls and makes it difficult for ships to get hits on him with R7. Might put in B.B.-8 instead.

Other list:

Gamestorm Imp (100)

•Countess Ryad (36) - TIE Defender
Push The Limit (3), TIE/x7 (-2), Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

•Double Edge (29) - TIE Aggressor
Predator (3), Ion Cannon Turret (5), Lightweight Frame (2)

•The Inquisitor (35) - TIE Adv. Prototype
Push The Limit (3), Concussion Missiles (4), TIE/v1 (1), Autothrusters (2)

Ryad and Quiz doing their usual while DE goes out and ionizes the targets. Haven’t seen a lot of Aggressors or even an Inquisitor on the table. I’ve been known to fly Defenders a lot so I know they’re going to be predictable with X7 and Engine 2.

Might just flip a coin the morning of and go with that.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Prockets are so much better on inquisitor.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I could be wrong, but I think Pattern Analyzer is way better than Primed Thrusters.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Some Numbers posted:

I could be wrong, but I think Pattern Analyzer is way better than Primed Thrusters.

I'd agree with you in most cases, but on Snap with FAA, getting the roll, boost, or both every turn regardless of stress (and even after t-rolls) is probably what you want.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Primed thrusters helped in some arc-dodging with Snap for sure. PA I do like as well and may toss that on Ello.

As for Prockets I agree they’re better but I want to limit my range with Inquisitor, figure with concussion missiles I can stay at range 3 for autorhtusters and defense while throwing 4 attack dice that come pre-modded.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Ringo Star Get posted:

Primed thrusters helped in some arc-dodging with Snap for sure. PA I do like as well and may toss that on Ello.

As for Prockets I agree they’re better but I want to limit my range with Inquisitor, figure with concussion missiles I can stay at range 3 for autorhtusters and defense while throwing 4 attack dice that come pre-modded.

That's exactly why you want the Prockets. They keep enemy ships away, because otherwise they can just bumrush Inquisitor and get into range 1.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyoneer posted:

That's exactly why you want the Prockets. They keep enemy ships away, because otherwise they can just bumrush Inquisitor and get into range 1.

This. It leaves enemies with no good choices. Do they rush in and eat the prockets? Do they hang back and let him snipe? Both suck. Also prockets are a great finisher against anything lower PS than Quiz. Get them low, then dive in and finish them off.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Good points - thanks! I was also thinking about if I go up against a Ghost that boosts out of a range 1 bubble from TLTwhich is why I was thinking concussion missiles. My trouble with prockets though is do I keep Autothrusters or slap on guidance chips?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Ringo Star Get posted:

Good points - thanks! I was also thinking about if I go up against a Ghost that boosts out of a range 1 bubble from TLTwhich is why I was thinking concussion missiles. My trouble with prockets though is do I keep Autothrusters or slap on guidance chips?

Keep autothrusters for sure. With 5 dice and a focus plus probably a target lock, those prockets are probably going to hit anything except a tokened scum Fenn at range 1 (but what can hit him there anyway?)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

canyoneer posted:

I'd agree with you in most cases, but on Snap with FAA, getting the roll, boost, or both every turn regardless of stress (and even after t-rolls) is probably what you want.

Put Intensity on Snap. You'll thank me. Being able to tallon roll, barrel roll, boost, and focus is insane.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

thespaceinvader posted:

Put Intensity on Snap. You'll thank me. Being able to tallon roll, barrel roll, boost, and focus is insane.

You can do this with FAA and Intensity on a normal Red Squadron Veteran.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Strobe posted:

You can do this with FAA and Intensity on a normal Red Squadron Veteran.

Can;;t get four actions though.

DO any 2+, then barrel roll, boost, evade, focus or focus, target lock.

Is nice.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Should I drop the VI on the X-Wings since the common meta lists will already be at 10 or 11? Throw on PTL or Intensity?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ringo Star Get posted:

Should I drop the VI on the X-Wings since the common meta lists will already be at 10 or 11? Throw on PTL or Intensity?

I would, personally. Getting up to 8 or 9 isn't worth the loss of the EPT. It's only worth it if you're hitting 10 or 11. Miranda is a possible exception but she's about the only common meta pilot at that level.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Raged posted:

That is frickin amazing. Jabba at 5 points just to give out 2 tokens just broke my brain. Honestly the worst Bossk build I have ever seen. Yet he won games with it.

Yeah, he did do a classic submarine. His highest ranked opponent finished 11th, and that was the first round and he lost that game. Then he played 32, 16, 19, 14. If he wins his top 8 match I'll be impressed. Edit: lost 100-0 to trip wookies.

Looks like both Foss through, and they'll play each other in top 4. Travis will throw the game because of the world's travesty, to give Jaren a chance at a reserved spot. So Jaren v Triple wookies or Raclo. (note: trip wookies went 100-0 over Jaren in Swiss)

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 4, 2018

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Ok I was wrong, I thought table 1 would play 4, and 2 and 3, but looks like the Foss's aren't playing each other. Hope it's not a Foss final table because that would be an anticlimax.

Edit: Two Fosses in the final. Jaren wins.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 4, 2018

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

In today's episode of well executed X-Wing repaints that whoopsie, are Nazi inspired, an Afrika Korps Scarif shuttle. Found this on a facebook repaint group.:yikes:

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
It'd be more worrying if Rebel ships had those kinds of repaints, instead of the literal space nazi faction.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

hoiyes posted:

It'd be more worrying if Rebel ships had those kinds of repaints, instead of the literal space nazi faction.

Still not great though, especially taking the palm tree logo

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Eeeehh, it's not really any more egregious than heaps of scenes from the movies which are straight up copies of Nazi imagery with a logo switch (General Huxs speech etc.) It's an obvious parallel to draw that the creators also use as a crutch and reinforce in the movies. Which, for me makes it much better than the Confederate Flag falcon, now that's a stretch. At least this guy had the minimum awareness to not do a swastika. I'm willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and assume that it's just a groggy history buff that probably repaints his ARCs like Spitfires, too.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
The NSW regional is going to be rotten with Foss aces and Fenn/Ghost at the end of the month. The monthly tournament at the flgs was rotten with them. Got a ghost to blow up when it's tail end was close to the edge and the shuttle ejected off the board :feelsgood:

The highlight of the day though was my friend flying The Incredible Bulk list going undefeated and winning the tournament. Palp aces can't chew through it fast enough before they die and Ghost/Fenn have a hard time not bumping constantly.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Raged posted:

The NSW regional is going to be rotten with Foss aces and Fenn/Ghost at the end of the month. The monthly tournament at the flgs was rotten with them. Got a ghost to blow up when it's tail end was close to the edge and the shuttle ejected off the board :feelsgood:

The highlight of the day though was my friend flying The Incredible Bulk list going undefeated and winning the tournament. Palp aces can't chew through it fast enough before they die and Ghost/Fenn have a hard time not bumping constantly.

I hope incredible bulk is the new meta, it's sooo good.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

hoiyes posted:

I hope incredible bulk is the new meta, it's sooo good.

He has improved so much with it since we whipped it up. It's tiny bit like watching your kid growing up and doing well...sniff....sniff they grow up so fast

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What is It? 2 ghosts and a bomber?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

banned from Starbucks posted:

What is It? 2 ghosts and a bomber?

44 health :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I played against a Lando/Chewie list yesterday, and it made me want to kill myself after an hour it was so tedious. On the other hand landing a double Harpoon on Lando was nice.

• Locked thread