Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
wonder when we’ll have the most american of things: emotional support guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

President Beep posted:

Kurt Cobain had one years ago

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

President Beep posted:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

the other day i was on a swa flight with an emotional support bull mastiff

that vest says “service animal” on it

dog is literally bigger than the owner lady

Wanna fly on a plane next to that cool dog

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

cis autodrag posted:

Dogs like that are trained to help their owners get up when they fall down. They have to be big, strong, and not prone to joint issues. It's p cool, you start to fall and they try to get under you. Failing they they lay next to you so you can plant your hands for them to help you up.

a physical support animal

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

feeding beef and salmon to a loving chicken? a twenty thousand dollar chicken coop?

satire is dead.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

cis autodrag posted:

cis autodrag rockin' the rough chuckles over here

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

for years

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

FMguru posted:

palo alto wasnt always a tech buble billionaire playpen. its history is as a bohemian college town where eccentric academics lived and it was leavened with crunchy-granola bay area seventies ideology. the shopping district used to have lots of weird little cafes and used bookstores (theyve largely been gentrified into oblivion but there are still a few traces of them if you know where to look). raising chickens has probably been legal in palo alto for a long time. stanfords long-running official nickname was The Farm, after all.

i had a prof who went to stanford during the stanford prison experiement and apparently the ones who weren't doing hosed up mind experiments were all eating acid and talking about marx

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

cis autodrag posted:

:perfect:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
protip: seventies hippy ideology is just republicans with weed

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

cis autodrag posted:

lol

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i love the generation that performatively did the whole hippie counter culture thing and then got a whiff of money and then decided that hey actually capitalism and eternal war are in fact pretty loving awesome

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sapozhnik posted:

i love the generation that performatively did the whole hippie counter culture thing and then got a whiff of money and then decided that hey actually capitalism and eternal war are in fact pretty loving awesome

the hippie counter culture was always a tiny fraction of that generation hope this helps

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/weeaboo/status/969702203282862081

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lancemantis posted:

I had a chicken as a pet as a child in my small town in Oregon

People in my neighborhood have chickens (and illegal roosters)

they sell coops at Costco

My coworker keeps chickens but they live in a more rural property

What’s funny is in the little lovely rural village I mostly grew up in in Nebraska, keeping chickens was considered something “those drat illegals” do, along with goats

yeah same

also we have wild feral chicken colonies in one part of the city so you can sometimes just see them peckin' around the train tracks and making rooster sounds at each other it's neat

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

my favorite part is they only got so much scrutiny because soylent tries to sell itself as "replaces all food" instead of just "is a food".

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

When I lived in Bernal Heights for a minute the neighbor behind me got a rooster that would sleep in the tree outside my window. Every day at four thirty for like 45 minutes this loving thing cockadoodlin' out there joined by choruses of 'shut up you poo poo rooster'. It lasted like three weeks before somebody blasted it.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

protip: seventies hippy ideology is just republicans with weed

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
can't wait for gen x and millennials to make us pine for the days of "conservative" boomer politics

even the most conservative boomers weren't literal nazis

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

no they were KKK members

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
nope, the kkk dwindled as their largely "greatest generation"/silent generation base died off

they were virtually gone during the height of boomer politics in the 80s and 90s but lo and behold are on the upswing with gen x coming into power and rising as millennials join their ranks

basically any time you are inclined to blame boomers for something, you are actually thinking of gen x because gen x is roughly in the same age bracket as you think boomers are

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
like, literally every ultra-conservative politician that came out of the tea party movement are gen x

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stymie posted:

nope, the kkk dwindled as their largely "greatest generation" base died off

they were virtually gone during the height of boomer politics in the 80s and 90s but lo and behold are on the upswing with gen x coming into power and rising as millennials join their ranks

basically any time you are inclined to blame boomers for something, you are actually thinking of gen x because gen x is roughly in the same age bracket as you think boomers are

in the 80s the boomers were still largely in the pre-voting ages under 35. hope this helps.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

muckswirler posted:

When I lived in Bernal Heights for a minute the neighbor behind me got a rooster that would sleep in the tree outside my window. Every day at four thirty for like 45 minutes this loving thing cockadoodlin' out there joined by choruses of 'shut up you poo poo rooster'. It lasted like three weeks before somebody blasted it.

cumming on roosters: the webseries

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

so gen-x is responsible for the late-60's early-70's college students who were actively trying to murder black kids when my mom was in school, ok sure

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fishmech posted:

in the 80s the boomers were still largely in the pre-voting ages under 35. hope this helps.

only the absolutely youngest that still qualify as baby boomers, the vast majority were 40+ through that period which means they had the largest share of the vote

they were in power throughout some of the most prosperous economic times since the end of wwii and saw that prosperity dwindle and shatter when gen x came into power and oversaw the financial crisis of the mid 00s and are directly responsible for the rise of ultra-conservative politics we see today

the reason this isn't obvious to yosposters is that they are, by and large, gen x or millennials and are in denial

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

like i'm not saying gen-x and millennials aren't just as bad or worse, it's just odd that you pick the generation that grew up watching people throw death threats at little girls because they wanted to go to school as being somehow pure

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ate all the Oreos posted:

so gen-x is responsible for the late-60's early-70's college students who were actively trying to murder black kids when my mom was in school, ok sure

no, that was mostly those in the "greatest generation" or the following silent generation, who were largely monstrous shits (and are frequently mistaken for boomers)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

college students, stymie, college students. they were her classmates.

unless you're saying they were secretly 30-40 year olds disguised as college students?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
no, they were of college age at the time or skewing slightly later since a lot of those generations didn't go to college until later in life on the gi bill after korea/vietnam

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Stymie posted:

no, they were of college age at the time or skewing slightly later since a lot of those generations didn't go to college until later in life on the gi bill after korea/vietnam

idk. didn’t college enrollment take off because of that sweet, sweet draft deferment?

e: also cheap rear end tuition at public universities in places like california

President Beep fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 3, 2018

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

cis autodrag posted:

Dogs like that are trained to help their owners get up when they fall down. They have to be big, strong, and not prone to joint issues. It's p cool, you start to fall and they try to get under you. Failing they they lay next to you so you can plant your hands for them to help you up.

not complaining really, just thought it was funny.

dog was big and chill, just looked out the window the whole time.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

President Beep posted:

idk. didn’t college enrollment take off because of that sweet, sweet draft deferment?

yes and many of those who joined college late in the war to protest involvement were boomers and therefore would not have been participating in racial attacks

basically any time you think of old-timey racists you're thinking of the "greatest generation" or the silent generation

any time you think of modern day racists/ultra-conservatives you're thinking of gen x

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

stymie they were mostly 18 to 24 year olds, like my mom, who was actually there, who helped make a human chain around the student union building to keep people from storming it and murdering all the black kids, and who can confirm with 100% certainty that your evaluation of boomers as somehow not also full of racists and nazis is wrong

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
remember, we are farther removed in time from the start of the vietnam war than the vietnam war was from wwi

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Im not necessarily convinced, but stymie does make an interesting argument

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ate all the Oreos posted:

stymie they were mostly 18 to 24 year olds, like my mom, who was actually there, who helped make a human chain around the student union building to keep people from storming it and murdering all the black kids, and who can confirm with 100% certainty that your evaluation of boomers as somehow not also full of racists and nazis is wrong

if they were closer to 24 that would put them in the silent generation, not the boomer generation

also the argument isn't that boomers were entirely devoid of racists, it's that they were a minority and highly disenfranchised whereas they are surging in power with the rise of gen x and millennials as the dominant political demographics

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stymie posted:

only the absolutely youngest that still qualify as baby boomers, the vast majority were 40+ through that period which means they had the largest share of the vote

they were in power throughout some of the most prosperous economic times since the end of wwii and saw that prosperity dwindle and shatter when gen x came into power and oversaw the financial crisis of the mid 00s and are directly responsible for the rise of ultra-conservative politics we see today

the reason this isn't obvious to yosposters is that they are, by and large, gen x or millennials and are in denial

it was literally impossible for the vast majority to be 40+ in the 80s. 1989-1946 = 43 and the boomers had kept on booming into the early 60s.

incidentally, boomer votes didn't even peak until 2004, which had the most votes from boomers recorded ever.

in essence your argument only makes sense if we roll all of the silent generation into boomers, shuck a bunch of boomers off the end and shove them in gen x, shove a bunch of those off and put them into millenials etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
fishmech and stymie arguing demographics :suspense: