Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This thread must survive! Are there any decent Android survival games? Preferably something turn based or that you can leave at any time.
Day R.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Solvency posted:

I'm seeing Ylands on top of the steam charts and was wonder if any goons have played and have any input on the game.

It does look interesting from looking at Youtube but seems quite alpha-y and a bit buggy.

Weird loving left field game from BIS though.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

TLD update for survival mode looks loving amazing. Custom difficulty is exactly what I wanted.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Firos posted:

TLD update for survival mode looks loving amazing. Custom difficulty is exactly what I wanted.

Woah, they finally added this? I remember devs being pretty dead set against it in their forums.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

meatsaw posted:

Woah, they finally added this? I remember devs being pretty dead set against it in their forums.

They did! You can customise just about anything you want except for whether or not caches spawn (default on).

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Sounds perfect, I always wanted to try Voyageur without tripping over wolves every 3 seconds.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
the moose satchel is gamechanging, especially in interloper where there was at least some consideration for weight vs temperature. the cloak seems to be whatever

it should be noted that you can't select feats when playing a custom game

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Firos posted:

They did! You can customise just about anything you want except for whether or not caches spawn (default on).
Goddamn. Looks like I'm going to start playing again.

It'll be nice to have more difficulty without it just turning into wolf spam.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

TLD is $12 among a bunch of games at Humble Monthly

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Anyone got any good custom settings? Like Interloper+? Personally I wanted interloper with the opportunity to find any item that can spawn in lower difficulties, and with reduced wolves, but item spawn rates set as low as possible.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Yeah I agree, I have no issue with reduced spawn rates but the difficulty jump seems too high and too lazy when they just cut out half the items in the game

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

I have a sneaking suspicion that a custom interloper game doesn't work right: I find way too many items when searching houses etc. I've got food coming out of my ears.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm playing The Long Dark, and man does it put me on edge. I don't want to play Pilgrim because that's far too easy, so I chose Voyageur. However, I'm constantly worrying about potential jumpscares (from wolves). I refused to enter the dam, as I have bad memories of that place. Turns out that "Fluffy" no longer resides in the drat, so I was able to relax and explore the place. The memories of when I played this back in 2015 and walking into the dam for the first time ever: relaxing and thinking I'd found a safe haven, and then absolutely making GBS threads my pants when Fluffy jumped out at me.

It's the weirdest thing, games like Subnautica and The Long Dark scare the everloving shite out of me, but if it's a scary coop game, I'm way more comfortable because I'm playing with a friend. I don't know why that's the case. If these two games were co-op, I'd mainly be happy due to the fact I wouldn't be scared all the time.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
What scary co-op games?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Q8ee posted:

It's the weirdest thing, games like Subnautica and The Long Dark scare the everloving shite out of me, but if it's a scary coop game, I'm way more comfortable because I'm playing with a friend. I don't know why that's the case.

Generally that's because there is less than zero fuckall immersion in multiplayer games.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

dylguy90 posted:

Yeah I agree, I have no issue with reduced spawn rates but the difficulty jump seems too high and too lazy when they just cut out half the items in the game

its honestly really easy after you've done it a couple times, especially with the new moose loot

Firos posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that a custom interloper game doesn't work right: I find way too many items when searching houses etc. I've got food coming out of my ears.

IIRC, there are a few settings that affect this, and if any of them are out of whack you are going to run into issues. one of them is actually worded backwards

Firos posted:

Anyone got any good custom settings? Like Interloper+? Personally I wanted interloper with the opportunity to find any item that can spawn in lower difficulties, and with reduced wolves, but item spawn rates set as low as possible.

wolves are super easy to deal with. have a source of light, and be >70% condition. do not throw the light, just keep walking. aurora wolves will jump past a torch but if you're healthy, normal wolves will growl forever (or until it goes out)

alternatively, be >75% energy and have a hammer and like a half second of fighting will make them run

edit: part of the reason why interloper with lower tier items doesn't really work is because interloper has four very specific sets of item spawns that are inviolate. throwing an expedition parka or something in there would be really weird

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11n0wfRQadaWay4feLbunF9dxIbS2hZ3O_I57x5JfF6s/edit#gid=1046721245

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jan 26, 2018

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I haven't played (and don't plan to) the story mode in Long Dark, so I checked the wiki to see if there was an explanation for why everything looks like it's been abandoned for years prior to the geomagnetic disaster. Apparently they put in another apocalyptic disaster to explain that, and it's a bizarre right-wing economic collapse fantasy? What the hell?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Long Dark story mode is strange and weird, and it's mindboggling that it was originally going to be the entire game with no sandbox.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I remembered that they were originally intending to remove the sandbox after they finished the story mode, too. It seems like they made a good game despite themselves.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

packetmantis posted:

I haven't played (and don't plan to) the story mode in Long Dark, so I checked the wiki to see if there was an explanation for why everything looks like it's been abandoned for years prior to the geomagnetic disaster. Apparently they put in another apocalyptic disaster to explain that, and it's a bizarre right-wing economic collapse fantasy? What the hell?

I read somewhere that they originally planned for weird events like the power suddenly coming on, TV's which suddenly display static and so on. I would prefer sandbox mode with just unexplained strangeness with no stupid "canon" explanation.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

The current beta fixes the issue with custom difficulties not being able to have interloper level item spawning :toot:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Looking for a game like Don’t Starve and 7 Days that I can play with my girlfriend. We’re almost done with 7 Days to Die and we burnt out on Don’t Starve before that. The Forest would be great but it’s still pretty rough when I played it a few weeks ago. Any recommendations?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Empyrion: Galactic Survival is a fun one. not worth $19.99, but definitely worth $10-15. I've got 30 hours in it and that's purely from solo play. If I had friends who were into this game, I'd easily rack up a hundred hours or more. It's got a bit of jankiness, but it's very playable and I enjoy it. Space survival game, with the added bonus of basebuilding not being an absolute ballache or grindfest.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Subnautica. Stuck in a sea planet, build base, gain tech to go deeper into the ocean filled with scary things.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Nyaa posted:

Subnautica. Stuck in a sea planet, build base, gain tech to go deeper into the ocean filled with scary things.

Except it's not coop. How's he going to enjoy it with his girlfriend if they're both stuck in their own singleplayer games. Ya goober.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Q8ee posted:

Empyrion: Galactic Survival is a fun one. not worth $19.99, but definitely worth $10-15. I've got 30 hours in it and that's purely from solo play. If I had friends who were into this game, I'd easily rack up a hundred hours or more. It's got a bit of jankiness, but it's very playable and I enjoy it. Space survival game, with the added bonus of basebuilding not being an absolute ballache or grindfest.

Is there a story or overarching goal right now or is it mostly sandbox/basebuilding?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

Is there a story or overarching goal right now or is it mostly sandbox/basebuilding?

No story, perse, mainly just sandbox / basebuilding. There's a poo poo tonne of PoIs, ranging from crashed capital ships, to alien strongholds, to NPC villages, to trading stations in orbit. But once you've seen one of one type, you've seen all of that type. Space battles are really jank, there's NPC-spawned ships in space and you just phase / clip right through them if you get up close and personal. I once hid in a huge carrier ship's blind spot and drifted behind it, then jumped off of my ship and tried to board theirs, but it was a glitchy mess. I was phasing through walls and hitting invisible barriers. The ship building and base building is decent, because there's emphasis on creativity and fun, you're not sitting there welding poo poo for hours like in Space Engineers. Only downside is maneuvering your spaceships feels so rigid, and not very natural.

That being said, for all of it's faults, the game is a blast, and this is me talking about solo. If you've got some mates to play it with, it is infinitely more enjoyable. Just don't buy it at full price, it's a game worth getting during a 50% sale.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
That’s a good recommendation. I’ll put it on the wishlist.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
How is Planet Nomads?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I thought it was very lacklustre. Crafting is an absolute chore and grindfest. Basebuilding is counterintuitive and buggy. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance, but I wasn't happy with the two hours I played. It just felt unpolished and like it was quickly churned out.

Aesthetically, it's beautiful. But that's all there is to it, not much else substance.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

tuyop posted:

That’s a good recommendation. I’ll put it on the wishlist.

The forest is going into full release in April as well.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

The forest is going into full release in April as well.

2 friends and I have put like 20-30 hours into this game over the last 2 weeks.

Still lacks a lot of polish, but it is super enjoyable going from barely being able to feed and defend yourself to fighting over who keeps making the lovely basic arrows that keep clogging up our inventory while throwing a bunch of bodies on a fire to get their bones.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
I just played The Forest again the other day, it's been years. Last i remember you couldn't reset traps. They've come a long way since then and it's now unnerving as gently caress to play. Definitely a must have for the horror fans.

I'm too much of a bitch to really play it like a man :( Think I'll just do sandbox for a bit and look at some fat lizards.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Picked up Unreal World and Wayward. URW has a randomness that kinda works. I guess the game wouldn't be as challenging if you could pick your starting gear. I have yet to survive winter due to hubris. Steam suggested Wayward. It's early access, and it's going places, but it's not quite there yet.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

URW is still my favorite survival sim. Try following the wiki tutorial if you haven't already, it does a great job of setting you straight.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

URW is amazing, but I always end up ragequitting when I die to bullshit after spending hours and hours and hours working on a wood cabin, just to die so close to it almost being finished.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Q8ee posted:

URW is amazing, but I always end up ragequitting when I die to bullshit after spending hours and hours and hours working on a wood cabin, just to die so close to it almost being finished.

I ended up getting purple Njerpled and I haven't played it since.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I feel you, man.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Best way to play The Forest is on hardcore mode, where you get one life. Otherwise, the threats don't feel very threatening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

A lot of people - myself included - don't like the idea of permadeath. I remember loving Don't Starve, but the permadeath stopped me from really getting into it. Was happy to hear they added an option to remove that.

Same with URW, if there was an option to save the game, I'd binge on it for weeks. But usually, I'll binge on it until I die and then ragequit. Mainly happens on characters that I've devoted a lot of time into. If it's a relatively new character, I'll just reroll and continue.